Ruger's New "SR" 9E?

PDA

kcofohio
June 30, 2014, 09:54 PM
Ruger looks to have a new 9mm in their line-up. They call it 9E, while Davidson's Gallery of Guns calls it SR9E. I'm thinking it may be to compete with the S&W SD9VE?

http://ruger.com/products/9E/models.html

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=Ruger&mdlno=SR9E

MSRP is $100 less than the SR9. Only comes with 1 magazine. Either 10 +1 or 17 +1.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger's New "SR" 9E?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RustyShackelford
June 30, 2014, 10:27 PM
At first I thought Ruger wanted to compete with the Beretta Nano, M&P Shields, Kahr Arms CM series, the P290RS 9x19mm, and XDs pistols but the specs say it's 10/17 rounds? :confused:

The SR9 line is popular but what is Ruger up too?

F-111 John
June 30, 2014, 10:54 PM
Sounds like Ruger's replacement for the P95 series.

kcofohio
June 30, 2014, 10:56 PM
The SR9 line is popular but what is Ruger up too?

One article mentioned about Ruger is using this gun to take place of the P-series.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2014/06/28/ruger-9e/

That puts this handgun in the ballpark of the now discontinued Ruger P95 in terms of price.

kcofohio
June 30, 2014, 10:57 PM
John, looks like you're no the only one thinking this. :)

beeenbag
June 30, 2014, 11:29 PM
It looks just like the sr9, what's different?

MAKster
July 1, 2014, 12:05 AM
It appears to be just a cheaper version of the SR9. Lower quality slide finish, sights, etc. Probably like how Kahr has the lower priced CW version of the P models.

benzy2
July 1, 2014, 12:09 AM
From the website, it looks like a standard carbon steel rather than stainless as well as fixed sights rather than adjustable rear sight. It comes in about an ounce heavier as well. There are fewer serrations on the slide. It also looks like the sight dovetail is smaller and the pins holding things in place in the slide are arranged different. My guess is it's just a cheaper way to make the SR9 and as such they are using it to replace the old P95. Seems like a good idea if the R&D is low and simpler machining processes can be used. Beyond that time will tell if trigger work is different, but I doubt it will be anything vastly changed.

greyling22
July 1, 2014, 12:12 AM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/30/new-ruger-9e-low-cost-ruger-sr9/

personally I like it better than the regular one. at least on paper. possibly a normal sight cut and less money, sounds like a winner to me.

mgmorden
July 1, 2014, 12:25 AM
I think this will do well - they needed a P95 replacement for sure. I finally bit the bullet and got an SR9 about 2 months ago (bought used so I doubt this will be that much better of a deal), but I think this will do well for them.

As a matter of fact if you look at some other pics of the top of the slide you'll notice they removed the obnoxious LCI from the gun. In that regard I'd actually consider that BETTER than the standard SR9.

Interestingly though they drop the SR moniker on this. Official name on Ruger's site isn't the SR9E, but rather just the Ruger 9E.

herrwalther
July 1, 2014, 02:16 AM
I must be missing something as well. According to Ruger's own spec sheet, the 9E is 0.01" shorter, almost 1 oz heavier, and $100 cheaper. I understand going for budget firearms, but the SR pistols can be found for much under MSRP if you look around/buy used.

mdThanatos
July 1, 2014, 03:45 AM
From Ruger's website here are the differences, that I found, between the 9e and the SR9:

9e:

Fixed 3 dot sights
1 magazine only
Alloy Steel/Blued
No mag loader included
View port instead of LCI
MSRP $429

SR9:

Adjustable 3 dot sights
2 mags
Stainless Steel/Brushed Stainless or Alloy Steel/Black Nitride
Mag loader
LCI
MSRP $529

bannockburn
July 1, 2014, 07:53 AM
Sounds like a win/win to me. Lower cost and no LCI.

snooperman
July 1, 2014, 08:05 AM
I think it is a win -win for us and Ruger. Thank You, Ruger

HexHead
July 1, 2014, 08:25 AM
Didn't need a LCI since they're not planning on selling new pistols in CA.

TarDevil
July 1, 2014, 09:58 AM
I've got a SR9c... I'm good.

It's a good move for Ruger. The LCI is a non issue for me either way...I just don't pay any attention to it, but if it lowers production cost I'm all for getting rid of it.

Non adjustable sights.... I had to tweak the windage on mine a bit, but hopefully Ruger will get the sights right.

The SR series has been a success. Same basic gun for a hundred bucks less, how can they go wrong?

F-111 John
July 1, 2014, 10:37 AM
kcofohio: Great minds think alike!

mdThanatos
July 1, 2014, 07:05 PM
It is definitely on my watch list. I have ruled out the SR series due to the LCI. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I can see the LCI when looking down the sights and it bothers me. I have to admit I don't like the fact that it only comes with one mag.

Arizonan
July 1, 2014, 10:49 PM
Ruger guns today. Suck.

Arizonan
July 1, 2014, 10:55 PM
Designs are garbage. Bluing sucks, wears right off. Stupid load chamber alert. Bill Ruger would be disappointed. Ruger use to be a designer. Now they are copiers. Would never own a Ruger today. Ani own over eight of the quality ones from the 70s, 80s

ritepath
July 1, 2014, 11:18 PM
If they make it in a 40, I may have to get one....that way I don't have to waste money on a handgun in a caliber I don't have much use for but have plenty of.

I'll be keeping my eye open for a P or SR in 40 until then.

Fishbed77
July 2, 2014, 12:33 AM
Bill Ruger would be disappointed.

Why? Because the SR9 and 9E can hold more than 10 rounds?

TarDevil
July 2, 2014, 12:40 AM
It is definitely on my watch list. I have ruled out the SR series due to the LCI. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I can see the LCI when looking down the sights and it bothers me. I have to admit I don't like the fact that it only comes with one mag.
I don't know how that's possible.

9mmforMe
July 2, 2014, 01:01 AM
I like it better than the SR series. Hate the LCI, the one mag is a bummer though. The SD9 comes in stainless with 2 mags.....hmmm....interesting.

malakili
July 2, 2014, 10:21 AM
I like the idea of a simplified SR9, but I wish they went further and removed the mag disconnect and thumb safety. I used to have one and it shot great for me, but it's just got too many gizmos.

mgmorden
July 2, 2014, 11:04 AM
I like the idea of a simplified SR9, but I wish they went further and removed the mag disconnect and thumb safety. I used to have one and it shot great for me, but it's just got too many gizmos.

Have we confirmed that the mag disconnect is still in this one? Seems like if they're not going for the Cali-compliance anymore and they're trying to save money leaving out the mag disconnect becomes possible - though not verifiable through looking at pictures.

I agree though - I think the safety lever should go. That would probably complicate production more though - from the looks of it this uses the same exact frame/lower as the SR9 - all the production changes I've seen so far are in the slide.

Honestly though as an owner of a S&W SD series and a Ruger SR9, though the SD is a good gun, at equal price I couldn't possibly see picking the SD over this Ruger 9E. It's just a better gun that's more in line with the M&P than the SD - and this budget version doesn't really change anything to make the gun any worse off.

The only reason to buy an SD over this would be if you wanted a .40S&W, though I'm sure Ruger has a "40E" planned eventually.

peacebutready
July 2, 2014, 05:37 PM
One article mentioned about Ruger is using this gun to take place of the P-series.

The discontinued P95 was DA/SA.

Anyone recall how many pounds the trigger is on the SR9? I guess the 9E should be the same.

19-3Ben
July 2, 2014, 05:42 PM
Designs are garbage. Bluing sucks, wears right off. Stupid load chamber alert. Bill Ruger would be disappointed. Ruger use to be a designer. Now they are copiers. Would never own a Ruger today. Ani own over eight of the quality ones from the 70s, 80s

I think that's a bit of a stretch, and frankly, completely unfounded. Obviously they have copied certain designs (the LCP for example, and then the 1911 and AR15 which, let's face it, everyone and his uncle is copying).

But they have also designed their guns to hit a function/price-point ratio right in the sweet spot of most buyers for most of their products. Their guns tend to be very durable, work reliably, and are backed by some of the best CS in the industry.

In my estimation and that of many others, Ruger is the equal of their competition in just about every segment of the market.

mgmorden
July 2, 2014, 07:28 PM
The discontinued P95 was DA/SA.

I think they meant replace the p series as a gun at the same price point. Like it or not DA/SA is seen as an older and less favored design style that much of the industry is moving away from.

peacebutready
July 2, 2014, 07:35 PM
Like it or not DA/SA is seen as an older and less favored design style that much of the industry is moving away from.

I was always OK with DA/SA. As long as there's an external hammer.

Shooting a revolver helps build DA proficiency and it just takes a little practice going from DA to SA in the DA/SA autos.

Yarddog
July 2, 2014, 07:46 PM
I still like the P series, The P 89 is a sweet shooter as the P 90 ; ) JMO
Y/D

RustyShackelford
July 2, 2014, 07:58 PM
My friend in Pittsburgh PA(Penn Hills) has a used Ruger P89 9x19mm that he's very impressed with. He also got a used P97 .45acp he likes to shoot often.

I liked the DA only(DAO) version of the P95 but never purchased one.
I came close to buying a P93 DA only 9x19mm but decided to get a .357magnum SP101 5 shot. I wasn't thrilled with Ruger's P series waffle style grips. :rolleyes:

peacebutready
July 3, 2014, 12:20 AM
@Y/D and Rusty: I kicking myself a little for not picking up a new P95 when they were available. I've seen them for 3 bills.

kcofohio
July 3, 2014, 08:58 AM
The more I read of the 9E, when they hit the floors I might be inclined to get one. I like the feel of the SR grips.

FitGunner
July 3, 2014, 12:06 PM
This...They need to get rid of the LCI, magazine disconnect and the thumb safety. It would be my favorite double-stack striker gun if they offered a non-neutered version of the SR9/40.

herrwalther
July 3, 2014, 10:11 PM
The LCI on the SR pistols doesn't bother me all that much. Namely because I used a file to take it down just a little bit so it isn't as obnoxious.

kcofohio
July 4, 2014, 02:05 PM
Comparing the pictures between the SR9 & 9E, the polymer looks the same. I can only assume they share the same trigger and magazine, as I haven't read otherwise to that. I like the trigger on the SR9. I guess time will tell.

F-111 John
July 7, 2014, 11:15 AM
They definitely take the same magazines.

kcofohio
July 7, 2014, 12:29 PM
John, that's good to know. Shouldn't be a lag time of having to wait for fresh off the press magazines then.

I like to have at least 3 magazines for each gun I own.

HankR
July 7, 2014, 05:40 PM
...They need to get rid of the LCI, magazine disconnect and the thumb safety

I actually like the (frame mounted) thumb safety. I'm one of those silly folks that don't really trust a "glock trigger", and opted for the SR9C over an XD. As a Ruger stockholder, I like the "economical" entry and hope they sell of a lot of them--I probably would have gone this way instead of the SR9C, depending on cost for the extra mags.

The mag disconnect is easy enough to disconnect (gee, it's almost as if they designed it for ease of removal). I'm not a fan of the LCI, but it's not really hurting anything.

kcofohio
July 8, 2014, 07:27 PM
Came across this on Gallery of Guns. $365 OTD. Interesting!

Your Selection
Ruger 9E Click for larger image
Item # 3340
BRAND: Ruger
MODEL: 9E
TYPE: Semi-Automatic Pistol
CALIBER: 9MM
FINISH: Black Oxide
# AVAIL: 2
MSRP: $429.00

SMOOTH BORE LLC YOUR PRICE: $321.54
Hours: M-F 2 P.M. - 8 P.M.; Sat 8 A.M. - 2 P.M.; by appt
Pemberville, OH 43450
Phone: 419-287-7111
Email: info@smoothboresportinggoods.com
Offer Info: We hope to help you fulfill all of your hunting and shooting needs with prompt, knowledgea ......
(More Retailer Information)

Fees: $21.95
Taxes: $21.70
Total: $365.19
GOG Deposit: ($107.25)
Due at Pickup: $257.94
Accept Offer

BTW, this was the lowest OTD price showing in my area.

mgmorden
July 11, 2014, 04:52 PM
Came across this on Gallery of Guns. $365 OTD. Interesting!

BTW, this was the lowest OTD price showing in my area.

I'm sure it'll be quite a bit lower shopping around. At various times I've seen the regular Ruger SR9 as low as $349 shipped. When everything settles I'm betting this will be available for close to $300 if you're thrifty.

Potatohead
July 12, 2014, 09:58 PM
The trigger will tell the tale.

It looks a little more Waltheresque to me.

herrwalther
July 12, 2014, 10:29 PM
The trigger will tell the tale.

It looks a little more Waltheresque to me.

If they are smart, they kept the trigger from the SR9 and SR9c. So it should be pretty smooth. The SR9c trigger is probably the second best striker trigger out of the box and a big reason why I keep it around.

TexasGrayBeard
July 13, 2014, 10:15 AM
I'm going to look at one today. If I like the way it feels, gonna get it. Don't have any of the SR pistols, but kinda sorta been wanting one. This might make a good truck pistol.

kcofohio
July 13, 2014, 10:51 AM
Hey Texas, if you get the chance to compare the 9E to an SR, we would appreciate a candid review of the triggers. Thanks!

Potatohead
July 13, 2014, 01:06 PM
Hey Texas, if you get the chance to compare the 9E to an SR, we would appreciate a candid review of the triggers. Thanks!
Yes, do tell .

BLB68
July 13, 2014, 01:38 PM
Also, let us know about the magazine disconnect.

stchman
August 12, 2014, 06:53 PM

I've owned the SR9 for years and cannot see the LCI unless I try to look at it.

As far as one mag, it saves them a few bucks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger's New "SR" 9E?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!