GAU-8 Avengers for sale?

PDA

mainecoon
July 1, 2014, 02:55 PM
I understand some of these guns may soon come up for sale. Thing is, they come with a plane attached. Any idea how they would cost used?

If you enjoyed reading about "GAU-8 Avengers for sale?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
yzguy87
July 1, 2014, 03:14 PM
Where will theses be sold?

Pretty sure they're NFA products so...

rcmodel
July 1, 2014, 03:18 PM
Probably have to be a friendly 3rd. world country, or Mike Dillon to buy one.

Then the little matter of an ATF $200 tax stamp for every cannon shell would make shooting it cost prohibitive for most of us.

Still can't believe the government is considering retiring the A-10 Warthogs next year.
That's the best dang ground support aircraft anyone has ever invented.

rc

yzguy87
July 1, 2014, 03:24 PM
^^^ Right. This would make buying and owning a mini gun look inexpensive and easy to get.

ArchAngelCD
July 1, 2014, 03:24 PM
Most people would not have the ability to move an almost 2 ton gun around. Even if you did get the gun where are you going to store the ammo? Each round weights about a pound and is a foot long!

But in the end I'm guessing the price would be the hardest to overcome, that is if out government would ever allow us to own such a weapon.

FuzzyBunny
July 1, 2014, 04:11 PM
If I was a billionare I would have one.

Plus a mess of custom made .22mag miniguns just to play with.

scaevola
July 1, 2014, 05:07 PM
Sad to see the A-10s go, I always like the way they looked flying over Tucson. There's probably a good chance getting rid of them will be a decision that will be regretted.

cfullgraf
July 1, 2014, 06:58 PM
Sad to see the A-10s go, I always like the way they looked flying over Tucson. There's probably a good chance getting rid of them will be a decision that will be regretted.

Yes, kind of like the decision in the 1950s to design fighter planes without any guns.

If you take the motor off the GAU-8 and replace it with a crank, will it get by the NFA rules?

Probably not. :(

Sam1911
July 1, 2014, 07:22 PM
If you take the motor off the GAU-8 and replace it with a crank, will it get by the NFA rules?

Well, once a machine gun, always a machine gun, but I'm not sure what the registered "receiver" of a GAU-8 is. Might just be part of the frame that holds the barrels or something, so maybe you could rebuild one with a new frame and a hand crank. If hand-cranked, yes the gun design would be a "Title I" (or GCA if you prefer) "other firearm." Unless, of course, you come up with a stock for it! :D

However, because its barrels are over .50" in diameter, it will still be an NFA Title II "Destructive Device." So still requires the Form 1 or 4 and the $200 tax stamp.

Havok7416
July 1, 2014, 07:38 PM
Where would you even get shells for it?

rcmodel
July 1, 2014, 08:03 PM
I don't know where you would get them?

But you would need to get 70 of them for a 1 second burst!

Plus 70 $200 tax stamps for the 70 cannon shells it fires in 1 second.

Thats $14,000 worth of ATF Tax stamps a second alone!

rc

MErl
July 1, 2014, 08:13 PM
A hand crank would probably be a bit slower. You could use inert shells or shells with under 1/4oz of explosive. Would still be terribly expensive.

Unfortunately the only buyers will be either foreign governments or scrap dealers. :(

Havok7416
July 1, 2014, 08:22 PM
I'll try to get some pictures of one this weekend, just for reference. They use their own ammo feed system that's almost as large as the gun itself.

barnbwt
July 1, 2014, 08:59 PM
Jeez, how many cranks per round would you need to turn that beast over? :eek: Here I thought restoring a KPV would be ridiculous :rolleyes:

TCB

Double_J
July 1, 2014, 10:43 PM
I had the pleasure of seeing one up close when I was 13 years old. What a treat to see a HUGE gun mounted to a trailer. There was an Air Force NCO explaining every part of it to anyone who showed an interest, and I most assuredly showed an interest. The slow motion video of it firing is still one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. I WANT ONE BAD, but I have no idea what I would do with it. My local range does not like people shooting .50 BMG much less 30MM cannons. (evil grin)

cfullgraf
July 1, 2014, 11:47 PM
For those that do not know, the cannon is mounted off center in the A-10 so that the barrel that is firing is on the centerline of the aircraft.

Also, the nose gear is off center to make room for the cannon.

scaevola
July 2, 2014, 12:00 AM
I saw one removed from the A-10 on display at the ordnance museum in Hawthorne, Nevada. Pretty impressive.

Elkins45
July 2, 2014, 12:02 AM
My understanding is that the design process for the GAU-8 and A-10 was somewhat unique in that it was done in reverse. They built a gun and then said "Now go build an airplane around this" rather than building an airplane and then mounting a gun on it.

rcmodel
July 2, 2014, 12:09 AM
I think it had to have been done that way?

No other aircraft could have been adopted to it.

I also read that the cannon recoil of one round is slightly in excess of the thrust of one of the engines.

So the A-10 decelerates all the time it is firing?

rc

Havok7416
July 2, 2014, 06:06 AM
I also read that the cannon recoil of one round is slightly in excess of the thrust of one of the engines.

So the A-10 decelerates all the time it is firing?

rc

That is a myth. Each engine on the A-10 provides 9,000 pounds of thrust. In order for the plane to slow the recoil forces would have to be greater than 18,000 pounds of thrust. There was a Lt. Col. who used to fly A-10s talking about that particular issue on a Discovery or History channel program awhile back.

kanook
July 2, 2014, 11:07 AM
Wonder it someone will or could make a 22lr conversion kit for it?

Devonai
July 2, 2014, 11:19 AM
What could you do with one? Well, you could mount it in a spacecraft.

Sam1911
July 2, 2014, 11:23 AM
Sure!

http://www.smkw.com/large/knife/MSM0095SW.jpg
http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Mil-Spec+Monkey/Mil-Spec+Monkey%26%23153%3B+%22Space+Shuttle+Door+Gunner%22+Patch+-+SWAT+Camo+Pattern/MSM0095SW.html

MErl
July 2, 2014, 11:25 AM
from wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger):
The average recoil force of the GAU-8/A is 10,000 pounds-force (45 kN),[3][16] which is slightly more than the output of one of the A-10's two TF34 engines (9,065 lbf / 40.3 kN each).[17] While this recoil force is significant, in practice cannon fire only slows the aircraft a few miles per hour in level flight.[15]

Sunray
July 2, 2014, 04:03 PM
The USAF has been trying to rid themselves of the unsophisticated A10 for 30 years. The Pigeons don't like it because it works too well without all the high tech gadgetry.
"...the cannon is..." Completely self contained too. No empties bouncing along the bottom of the aircraft.

tarosean
July 2, 2014, 04:22 PM
Thats $14,000 worth of ATF Tax stamps a second alone!

Chump change of he can afford the plane.... the engines alone are 1.9m each..

USAF_Vet
July 2, 2014, 04:58 PM
Its truly sad the Air Force is dumping the A-10. Hopefully it stays in service via the air guard and reserve, its too much of an asset to completely get rid of. I got to see the GAU-8 up close and personal back in tech school. Simply an amazing gun, and the A-10 itself is pretty impressive. The amount of battle damage it can take and still be airworthy is staggering.

I imagine the only affordable way to shoot it would be to hand load.

tiamat
July 9, 2014, 02:12 PM
I felt the same way when they stopped flying the F4's, but time marches on for better or for worse.

Havok7416
July 9, 2014, 06:13 PM
I have pictures of a GAU for you guys but you will have to be patient. Very busy with family issues the next few days.

Midwest
July 9, 2014, 06:21 PM
I could see "Sons of Guns" having in on of their shows.

MachIVshooter
July 10, 2014, 04:24 PM
This would be what, the 11th time the A-10 has been slated for decommissioning? Frankly, the way they performed in Afghanistan, I don't see it happening this time, either. These jets will continue to fly until they are literally falling apart. Which may take awhile yet, the way the airframes are constructed. Closest thing to a flying tank we'll ever see, and second to none in close air support.

Can you imagine being an enemy of the US and seeing one of those things inbound on your convoy? All you can do is stick your head between your legs and kiss your bottom goodbye.

Havok7416
August 3, 2014, 09:16 PM
Here are the promised pictures (finally). Sorry for the quality but I forgot my camera and all I had was my phone.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p309/Havok7416/Photo18921_zps0822394b.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p309/Havok7416/Photo18911_zps4d3fee22.jpg

golden
August 9, 2014, 05:04 PM
I would not worry about the A-10. This retirement is all a political move by the Air Force to get money from congress. If the Air Force did try to retire the A-10, it would most likely be given to the Marines or even worse, the Army. Unthinkable from an Air Force perspective!
It is all part of the annual war games over money. Note, that none of the "IMPORTANT" projects that the Air Force wants is being sacrificed, like the F-35 and K-46 tanker or new bomber.

Jim

dprice3844444
August 9, 2014, 09:03 PM
gau-8 firing
http://gun-videos.net/2013/12/09/a-10-warthog-gatling-gun-test-gau-8-avenger/
http://thebrigade.thechive.com/2012/04/08/let-the-a-10s-high-res-gau-8-avenger-times-roll-37-hq-photos/

Theohazard
August 9, 2014, 10:39 PM
If the Air Force did try to retire the A-10, it would most likely be given to the Marines or even worse, the Army.
As much as they love the A-10, the Marine Corps wouldn't want any aircraft that can't be deployed on an aircraft carrier.

Gordon
August 12, 2014, 01:31 AM
we need those A10s to be working ISIS columns TODAY! :(

If you enjoyed reading about "GAU-8 Avengers for sale?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!