Re: New Sig 224

PDA

Shipwreck
July 9, 2014, 08:49 PM
Just came in today, and I had time to pick it up :)

My new Sig 224.

It has 12 + 1 rounds of 9mm. Once I test it, I may alternate it with my Shield as my carry gun. I like DA/SA much more. The Shield is fantastic - but my only complaint is that it isn't DA/SA.

The nickel finish should really resist rust. Only think I must do is order a set of nickel grip screws - as the grip screw is stainless on it....

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/224-1_zpsc0315525.jpg~original

If you enjoyed reading about "Re: New Sig 224" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
July 9, 2014, 09:05 PM
I like SIG pistols, I own six, but 29oz unloaded for a CC pistol .... no thanks! That's 6oz heavier than the 9mm XD-S. Now add 12 rounds of 9mm. :what:

Shipwreck
July 9, 2014, 09:26 PM
It is a bit heavier, but I am fine. I used to concea carry a fullsize Beretta 92FS for 3 years...

It's basically a cut down 229.

I went ahead and ordered 2 nickel plated 228/229 grip screws - you would think they would have included plated screws to match the gun. The screws were like $2.99 each. Figures that Brownells shipping is $7.99...

It fits fine in my smart carry - which is what I use in the summer when I wear shorts all summer long. Comfortable too. It is 1/2 a pound heavier than the Shield. The Shield is only like 20 oz with an empty mag.

It will only pocket carry in 1 of my 2 pairs of cargo pants, as the external hammer makes it take too long to clear the pocket. So, I can do that with 1 pair. Otherwise, in the winter, it will be IWB with the Smart Carry. I may eventually get a holster with a sweat shield if I carry it that way enough.

Somone else asked me to take pics comparing it to the Shield:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/ShieldampSig_zps2eb41137.jpg~original

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/ShieldampSig2_zpse8e72529.jpg~original

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/ShieldampSig3_zps5e58d282.jpg~original

bannockburn
July 10, 2014, 08:57 AM
Shipwreck

How does the abbreviated grip feel on the P224, especially in comparison to the Shield? Love the Shield and my PM9; just wondering if the P224 isn't a bit too small for someone like myself with small hands.

Shipwreck
July 10, 2014, 01:08 PM
My hands just barely fit on the grip of the 224 - with the thicker magplate they have on the 12 round mags.

I haven't shot it yet - but it feels fine in my hands. Obviously, it's thicker in the grip. But, the SIg 224 is a little longer than say - a Glock 26 grip.

You just needa hold one and see how it feels.

Confederate
July 10, 2014, 04:01 PM
My father owned one of these guns, the bigger ones...but it was the .45acp full sized version. I never much liked it, not because it wasn't accurate or because it wasn't reliable. It just feels to me like a clunker. The trigger is hard, and the hammer drop has a tendency to catch the fleshy part of my thumb if I'm not careful. On the plus side, it does have a hammer and the functioning of the gun once the shooting starts is flawless. And though I'd prefer a 9mm, myself, it's nice to have a variety. So when my dad passed, I kept the Sig. But I greatly prefer my Smith & Wesson 645 and even my 457.

For the price, I prefer something else, but the gun works and it's accurate.

Shipwreck
July 10, 2014, 04:43 PM
The Sig 45 fullsize (220 model) is not the same as this gun. I have several other Sigs, and they all run 100%. Obviously, I like them or would not keep buying them.

Tommygunn
July 11, 2014, 07:35 PM
Nice looking gun Shipwreck! Is this a new Sig model or is it simply new to you?
I don't recall seeing this gun anywhere.

Havok7416
July 11, 2014, 10:41 PM
Nice looking gun Shipwreck! Is this a new Sig model or is it simply new to you?
I don't recall seeing this gun anywhere.
This is Sig's new subcompact offering. Not many out there yet.

Shipwreck
July 11, 2014, 11:17 PM
I think it has been out a year maybe. But, this is a new gun for me :)

wheelyfun66
July 12, 2014, 07:19 AM
I'll be posted here to see how it functions, once you report back.

Long time Sig lover here, but haven't yet seen a 224 in person.

Love to get the SAS model in 9mm

Sergei Mosin
July 12, 2014, 08:37 AM
You are well on your way to a Wheel of SIG.

Shipwreck
July 12, 2014, 08:40 AM
You are well on your way to a Wheel of SIG.

Sho nuff :p

Shipwreck
July 12, 2014, 08:42 AM
I'll be posted here to see how it functions, once you report back.

I am hoping to go try it tomorrow, finally

Hometeached1
July 12, 2014, 12:45 PM
Very nice looking SIG. :)

Shipwreck
July 13, 2014, 02:32 PM
Ok - I went and put some rounds thru it. I had 150 rounds of FMJ, and I put 30 rounds of JHP - 3 different kinds. Gun shot the best with 124gr Hydrashok - which is what I use in most guns. So, that will be my carry load. Gun shot fine with 147gr WWB JHP - but, I don't like to use those for as carry rounds. The critical Defense didn't match up with my point of aim - so, I won't use that....

Anyway - first 2 shots out of the gun were dead center in the bullseye. I like that it uses the sight picture where you cover the target with the front sight. Some of my other Sigs use a 6 o'clock hold.

I can just barely fit my entire hand on the grip - and even with the recoil, my pinky doesn't come off. So, that's great. I did a lot of shooting at 7 yards, and some DA only shooting at 5 yards - both 1 and two handed. The DA pull is rather heavy - I shoot a little low with it when I shot 2 complete mags in DA for each and every shot. But, it's not bad.

At 15 yards - I can hit the paper (I use photo copied targets on a normal 8x11 size sheet of paper). But, it is harder to shoot that distance with a smaller gun. I have the same issue with my Shield. With the 226 and M11A1 I have - shooting at 15 yards is much easier. But, it is a 3.5" barrel with a short sight picture.

I shot 145 rounds of FMJ thru it instead of 150, as I put 5 rounds thru my Shield to compare it. Truthfully, I do prefer the grip of the Shield. I also have a piece of rubber around the grip on the Shield, and I have 2500 rounds thru it in 2 years. So, I have a lot of practice with it. But, I do like the Sig 224 - and, I will be switching between the 2 guns as my carry gun.

My Shield doesn't have night sights - so, I love that about the 224. I also have over 50% more ammo in the 224.

I do have one complaint about the 224 - but the problem eventually went away after a while.... For about the first 100 rounds... I got hit in the head with EVERY ejected case. Either 1 or 2 handed shooting - it didn't matter. Each and every time.... I got 1 small burn, when a case got held up in the arm of my glasses. However - THANKFULLY - after around 100 rounds, the cases started going over my head instead of hitting me.

I've seen this with a lot of polymer guns until the recoil spring breaks in - in the past. Thankfully, it went away. I was gonna give it two trips to the range, and then call Sig. But, problem solved.

Recoil isn't bad on the gun. It's very nice! I like the gun.

IT is strange how certain guns shoot more POA/POI on various JHP. My Sig 224 loves Gold Dot. My M11A1 shot more accurately with Hydrashock. And, I will be using Hydrashok in this 224 (I am out of Gold dots except for what is in the 226).

Shipwreck
July 13, 2014, 03:37 PM
Sold the Sig Pro - but still have 3 :)

http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/0e830729c8cc5fc5176a2a63ac21f74d.jpg

Sergei Mosin
July 14, 2014, 01:33 AM
So is that your new...wait for it...SIG line? :D

Shipwreck
July 14, 2014, 07:25 AM
Sho nuff :P

bannockburn
July 14, 2014, 08:10 AM
Shipwreck

Thanks for the range report. Will have to check one at at the LGS just to see if it's a good fit to my hand.

If you enjoyed reading about "Re: New Sig 224" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!