Will ruger come out with a 3 inch lcr

PDA

mountain_man
July 10, 2014, 12:51 AM
Does anyone think that ruger would ever make a 3 inch lcr? I would love to have one and honestly if they made one I would be on it like a chicken on a junebug. Who else wants to see one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Will ruger come out with a 3 inch lcr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SPW1
July 10, 2014, 12:56 AM
I doubt it since it is a DAO design.

ArchAngelCD
July 10, 2014, 02:15 AM
I doubt Ruger will do that. That revolver is meant for the "pocket" niche and a 3" barrel doesn't do pockets well.

ljnowell
July 10, 2014, 02:17 AM
I doubt it since it is a DAO design.

They make a DA/SA LCR.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/91066/ruger_5430_lcrx_5rd_38sp_+p_187

ArchAngelCD
July 10, 2014, 02:31 AM
I just can't take a liking to that revolver, it's ugly IMO.
The S&W Bodyguard 38 isn't much better but it's not quite as ugly. (and it has a laser)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/62622/s&w_bodyguard_5rd_38sp_+p_19

I take it back, they are both butt ugly!!! LOL

mavracer
July 10, 2014, 09:13 AM
I have absolutly no interest in one. My LCR is a pocket gun if I carry IWB I'd just as soon have my 3" SP101 as the added weight isn't noticed in a belt holster and a blessing when shooting.

GP100man
July 10, 2014, 09:23 AM
Grant you , the LCR is`nt the purdyest in the bunch , but for a pocket revolver it fits the bill !!

3" will never happen , as stated 3" does`nt do pockets well.

I was surprised when they put a spur on the hammer & made it SA , simply put : If I have it in my pocket & NEED it I don`t wanna be worried with a hammer or trying to cock it while drawing !

But the option of DA/SA is nice to have . BUT remember folks practice is essential , but the LCR or any snubbie revolver is NOT a fun range gun.

GP100man

jimbo555
July 10, 2014, 09:30 AM
The lcr22lr would be nice with a 3inch barrel.

Sergei Mosin
July 10, 2014, 02:34 PM
Why not? S&W makes 3-inch J-frames. A 3-inch LCR would be a nice change from the overweight SP101.

I wonder if the LCR architecture will scale up to larger revolvers. Imagine, if you will, a lightweight 6-shot .38 or .357 with a 3- or 4-inch barrel.

mountain_man
July 11, 2014, 12:01 AM
I think that you are right. I think that they have a great platform that could be expanded in numerous ways.

tomrkba
July 11, 2014, 12:14 AM
I want to see one in 38 Special +P with 3" barrel and six round capacity. I'd really like to see one with a four inch barrel.

herkyguy
July 11, 2014, 08:32 AM
Why not? I carry mine quite a bit. It's a great little gun. If Ruger branched out, it might not fit the "pocket pistol" definition but it's still a lightweight and handy gun.

I'd consider one with 6 round capacity and a longer barrel for OWB. or even with a different IWB holster. Especially if it had a trijicon or hi-viz front sight.

Blade First
July 11, 2014, 09:46 PM
"Why not? S&W makes 3-inch J-frames."

Well, they still make 3" revolvers in multiple calibers because they balance better than any other barrel length. The bean counters would be happy to drop the option but demand seems to be constant enough to keep it alive.

There isn't a more comfortable, totable revolver than a 3" J/K/N frame. Don't know why other major mfrs. ignore the obvious.

oss117
July 11, 2014, 10:17 PM
I would buy a 3" LCR. Perhaps it could come out as a Talo edition.

Making it a six shot would give them a leg up on tha competition.

RealGun
July 12, 2014, 09:09 AM
but the LCR or any snubbie revolver is NOT a fun range gun.

I could agree, if referring to .357 Magnum or heavier. I think of my two little .38 Specials as fun to practice with and a greater challenge to shoot well.

R.W.Dale
July 12, 2014, 11:25 AM
I would prefer a 4" 357 magnum myself.

I would definately buy at least one variant of a longer barreled LCR.

I would also like to see the platform scaled up to 44/45 frame sizes

ETA have the 2" 38 and LOVE IT

Ruger seriously needs an expanded lightweight revolver lineup. Carrying a SP101 or heaven forbid a GP100 is like trying to strap a small block Chevy cylinder head to your hip and walk around.

I would love for ruger to offer me a light option that fits between my 38 LCR and s&w 386xl

Drail
July 12, 2014, 11:42 AM
"the overweight SP 101".....? I'm still trying to stop laughing at that one. Comparing the LCR to the SP is like comparing a Yugo to a Humvee. If an SP is too heavy for you to carry then you really need to go to the gym or buy a real belt and holster. The SP is not that heavy.

RealGun
July 12, 2014, 11:45 AM
I would prefer a 4" 357 magnum myself.

I would definately buy at least one variant of a longer barreled LCR.

I would also like to see the platform scaled up to 44/45 frame sizes

ETA have the 2" 38 and LOVE IT

Ruger seriously needs an expanded lightweight revolver lineup. Carrying a SP101 or heaven forbid a GP100 is like trying to strap a small block Chevy cylinder head to your hip and walk around.

I would love for ruger to offer me a light option that fits between my 38 LCR and s&w 386xl

How does a desire for more barrel length and scaling up to 44/45 square with slamming an SP101 for weight? One could just dress to conceal. With a 1 3/4" gun belt and high-and-tight pancake OWB holster, the SP101 is nothing to carry. For me, that means the 3.06" barrel...one in .357 Magnum and one in .327 Federal Magnum.

I doubt a 44/45 LCR version would be much of a pocket gun.:confused:

Sergei Mosin
July 12, 2014, 01:11 PM
The SP101 isn't that heavy in absolute terms, and I've carried much heavier guns. But I think the SP101 is overweight in proportion to the capability it offers. It's inefficient. The LCR does the same thing - five shots, .357 Magnum - in a much smaller and lighter package. If I'm going to carry something as heavy and bulky as the SP101, I want more capability. Otherwise I might as well carry the LCR (and I do.)

R.W.Dale
July 12, 2014, 01:51 PM
"the overweight SP 101".....? I'm still trying to stop laughing at that one. Comparing the LCR to the SP is like comparing a Yugo to a Humvee. If an SP is too heavy for you to carry then you really need to go to the gym or buy a real belt and holster. The SP is not that heavy.

I have a 6" 7 shot 357 magnum I carry quite often

It weighs about the same as a sp101

Why slam the sp? Because it's an overweight porker for its size left over from the dark ages when you couldn't ccw and people didn't care about weight.

I really like Rugers and I like lightweight revolvers. Ruger simply doesn't make anything for me. A magnum LCR with some barrel length to it would rectify this

R.W.Dale
July 12, 2014, 02:08 PM
I doubt a 44/45 LCR version would be much of a pocket gun.:confused:

WHO CARES?

Why does the LCR architecture have to stay in "pocket gun" territory?

If you would shoot an LCR you'd realize what a winner ruger has on its hands if they'd just exploit it instead of coming out with just another "limited edition" of the guns they've been making for the past 40years

RealGun
July 12, 2014, 02:55 PM
I doubt a 44/45 LCR version would be much of a pocket gun.

WHO CARES?

Consider what you actually wrote and don't be surprised if inferences drawn hold you to it.

gun_with_a_view
July 12, 2014, 05:04 PM
I have a gut feeling some of you guys might take to the 4-inch Ruger SP101:
http://ruger.com/products/sp101/index.html

R.W.Dale
July 12, 2014, 05:22 PM
I have a gut feeling some of you guys might take to the 4-inch Ruger SP101:

http://ruger.com/products/sp101/index.html

I've owned both the 22 and a matched 357

See my comments above.

JLM3rd
July 12, 2014, 10:21 PM
A 5 shot .45 ACP using full moon clips, would be awesome!

herrwalther
July 12, 2014, 10:39 PM
A 3 inch barrel would increase the velocity of the .357 by about 200-300 FPS depending on loading. A significant improvement that would be worth the design. Makes more sense than Springfield extending the barrel on the .45 XD-s. But it is a pocket gun and that 1.2" extra barrel makes a big difference.

R.W.Dale
July 12, 2014, 11:00 PM
A 3 inch barrel would increase the velocity of the .357 by about 200-300 FPS depending on loading. A significant improvement that would be worth the design. Makes more sense than Springfield extending the barrel on the .45 XD-s. But it is a pocket gun and that 1.2" extra barrel makes a big difference.

Right.

And at least for me I don't find that more barrel makes a revolver any harder to conceal. For me it's all cyl diameter and grip profile

mountain_man
July 12, 2014, 11:51 PM
A 5 shot .45 ACP using full moon clips, would be awesome!
Yes it would

RealGun
July 13, 2014, 08:26 AM
And at least for me I don't find that more barrel makes a revolver any harder to conceal. For me it's all cyl diameter and grip profile

Your context must be snubbies, maybe 1.25 versus 2.25, perhaps as long as 3", but of course in general, barrel length is certainly a consideration for ability to realistically conceal.

TexasGrayBeard
July 13, 2014, 10:22 AM
I sent Ruger an email about a lcr in 327. Their reply was that they "have no plans to manufacture the lcr in that caliber at this time." I would prefer that over a 3" lcr.

R.W.Dale
July 13, 2014, 10:54 AM
Your context must be snubbies, maybe 1.25 versus 2.25, perhaps as long as 3", but of course in general, barrel length is certainly a consideration for ability to realistically conceal.

No my context is all the way up to a 6" barrel

It probably helps that I'm 6'-3" and don't have as waist = to or greater than my inseam like most folks here.

I actually find a somewhat longer than snubby barrel helps with OWB in that the barrel rides my hip and pushes the grip in closer to my body.

gun_with_a_view
July 13, 2014, 12:41 PM
they "have no plans to manufacture the lcr in that caliber at this time."

Maybe not. But the company may well resume production of the SP101 in 327 MAG, as well as a popular discontinued single action revolver once the new plant in Mayodan, NC is online. Apparently a shortage of manufacturing floorspace got both guns sidelined. This came straight from the horse's mouth. Ruger made a point the SP101 in 327 MAG did not die due to lack of demand, as is commonly said.

Interestingly, there was a network news story this morning about the murder of an accountant in or near Kalamazoo, MI who was shot in the head. There was a photo of some bullets on the scene. They sure looked like 327 MAGS, which are very distinguishable by their length. Years ago I came across a reference to the popularity of .32 caliber in southern Michigan. No reason to think that particular caliber choice didn't carry over to the 327 MAG.

hariph creek
July 14, 2014, 12:24 PM
A 9 shot LCRX in .22lr with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights. Now that would be a dandy kit gun.

Orion8472
July 15, 2014, 11:20 AM
^ It would. . . . . . . . . It really really would!

herrwalther
July 15, 2014, 01:48 PM
Maybe not. But the company may well resume production of the SP101 in 327 MAG, as well as a popular discontinued single action revolver once the new plant in Mayodan, NC is online. Apparently a shortage of manufacturing floorspace got both guns sidelined. This came straight from the horse's mouth. Ruger made a point the SP101 in 327 MAG did not die due to lack of demand, as is commonly said.

Funnily enough I was watching "Ruger Inside and Out" today (recorded from last night) about they are making (or have made) a Single-Seven in 327. They were also talking about a snub nosed SP101 with Novak front and rear sights.

Confederate
July 15, 2014, 03:37 PM
I would like to see a 3-inch barrel. Heck, I'd like to see an LCR with a 2-inch barrel! But 2.75-inch would be fine. Having a 1.78-inch barrel is ridiculous, however.

TexasGrayBeard
July 19, 2014, 09:01 PM
Funnily enough I was watching "Ruger Inside and Out" today (recorded from last night) about they are making (or have made) a Single-Seven in 327. They were also talking about a snub nosed SP101 with Novak front and rear sights.
I hope Ruger does make a single action 327. (Seven rounds would be nice as well) I shoot 32 H&R Mag through my SP in 327 and I have to say it's my favorite pistol and caliber to shoot.

Nick Burkhardt
July 20, 2014, 06:01 AM
I would be happy if they made the barrel just long enough so the rod could eject the casings cleanly, 2 1/8".

Phaedrus/69
July 20, 2014, 07:12 AM
I would be happy if they made the barrel just long enough so the rod could eject the casings cleanly, 2 1/8".

This! A 3" version would be nice if for no other reason. In my case when I carry my LCR I carry IWB anyways so the extra inch wouldn't be an issue for me. I'd appreciate the extra sight radius and velocity, too.

RealGun
July 20, 2014, 11:21 AM
I hope Ruger does make a single action 327. (Seven rounds would be nice as well) I shoot 32 H&R Mag through my SP in 327 and I have to say it's my favorite pistol and caliber to shoot.

Why not just settle for the existing 32 H&R Magnums in the Single Six platform? You apparently are just going to shoot that ammo anyway.

They exist but are no longer produced, near as I can tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhKZ9M42iQk

herkyguy
July 21, 2014, 10:37 AM
The .22LR LCR with a longer barrel and higher-end adjustable sights would be awesome.

treetop_66
July 23, 2014, 02:20 AM
Ruger is a business. I think they will make a polymer revolver in any configuration they think they can sell. I would be surprised if we don't see longer barrels and larger frames.

If you enjoyed reading about "Will ruger come out with a 3 inch lcr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!