What kind of new rifle option do you hope hits the market soon?

PDA

Jason_W
July 11, 2014, 03:17 PM
The poll choices are based in part on my own personal want list. I'd love to hear what other like and see if there's some sort of majority opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "What kind of new rifle option do you hope hits the market soon?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sun Tzu warrior
July 11, 2014, 04:49 PM
Kel-Tec RMR 30, 30 rounds of .22WMR, semi auto fun, and suppressive fire in a light weight package!
STW

R.W.Dale
July 11, 2014, 04:59 PM
I think there's a lot of room in the market to support a few more cartridges based on 223 that will fit in an ar15 magwell

tdoyka
July 11, 2014, 06:59 PM
no encores or contenders, i thought this was a real poll!!!:D

i'd like to see the 444 marlin make a comeback, along with the 338 federal.

Gtscotty
July 11, 2014, 08:11 PM
I think there's a lot of room in the market to support a few more cartridges based on 223 that will fit in an ar15 magwell

Huh, That's an area I thought had kind of been beat to death.

Also, Ruger makes the new American Rifle Predator .22-250 with a 1:8 twist, so one of the poll options is already here.

I would second the RMR-30, I've been waiting for Kel-Tec to produce the first one for 3 years... At this point I'd rather Ruger commandeer the design and actually get one out the door.

Jason_W
July 11, 2014, 08:18 PM
The Ruger American Predator in .22-250 is actually 1:10 as per their site:

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/models.html

Gtscotty
July 11, 2014, 08:35 PM
Whups, my bad, I could have sworn that Ruger twisted it the same as their .223.

Btw, this thread got me researching the RMR-30 again and apparently the name has been changed to CMR-30. Also, the projected release date is Q4 2014... although it should be noted that past projected release dates have included Q4 2013, Q2 2013, Q4 2012... etc.

NWcityguy2
July 11, 2014, 08:42 PM
I would like to see more bolt action rifles that come pre-threaded for muzzle devices and sporting stocks that give a proper cheek weld with a scope mounted.

sappyg
July 11, 2014, 08:58 PM
I would like an RA compact in 223/5.56 with a 1/8 twist and a threaded barrel with a magazine that works. I'll settle for a magazine that works.

MistWolf
July 11, 2014, 09:17 PM
Of the choices listed in the poll, the only one I find interesting is the 22-250 with a faster twist. One project (of many) I have in mind is re-barreling a Remington 788 with a faster twist 22-250 barrel and see how it performs with VLD bullets.

Another project is to chamber a 308 AR in 22 CHeetah which is a 308 necked down to 22, using a fast twist barrel to shoot VLD bullets at some pretty fast velocities

js8588
July 11, 2014, 10:36 PM
A 223 Vepr or Saiga AK that takes AR mags.

ECVMatt
July 12, 2014, 01:42 PM
I would really love to see a .357 pump like the Remington 25 Carbine or the Timber Wolf. I would prefer the design of the 25. It is sleek, self-contained, is a take down and has a great balance point.

Something like this please:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n431/ECVMatt/m251_zps943b3f4e.jpg (http://s338.photobucket.com/user/ECVMatt/media/m251_zps943b3f4e.jpg.html)

ROAshooter
July 12, 2014, 01:52 PM
ruger gsr...20 inch barrel/parkerized.... five round blind magazine...stripper clip guide incorporated into the peep sight...which uses the scope cutouts for mounting without need for tools..houge overmolded stock....with space in buttstock for peepsight/stripper clip when using a scope...

fiddleharp
July 12, 2014, 01:54 PM
A lefthanded bolt-action .22 rifle with a tubular magazine.
Mossberg made 201 of them in 1937-38 and nobody has done it since. :banghead:

Corn-Picker
July 12, 2014, 03:07 PM
I would like to see more bolt action rifles that come pre-threaded for muzzle devices and sporting stocks that give a proper cheek weld with a scope mounted.
I was going to post something very similar; I want Weatherby to release a Vanguard S2 with threaded muzzle. The already have the best stock shapes and triggers, now all they need is a few models with threaded muzzles.

NWcityguy2
July 12, 2014, 03:46 PM
Exactly, it's not the 70's anymore.

greyling22
July 12, 2014, 09:27 PM
1) cheaper rifles.

2) also, a semi auto 357 carbine that takes a 10+ round banana mag patterned after a 22lr mag. pattern it off the deerfield. pattern it off the m1 carbine. make it a whole new design, I don't care. just gimme gimme gimme.

3) (and I know this runs counter to wish #1) anything that is not another ar15 or a copy of the savage axis/ruger america/etc school of thought.

Fiddleharp, if it doesn't have to be tube fed, cz makes a nice lefty bolt 22. I love mine.

Laphroaig
July 12, 2014, 09:40 PM
Caught this on the "22-250 thread currently running:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12VLPDBM

1:9 22-250's do exist!

Laphroaig

R.W.Dale
July 12, 2014, 09:57 PM
Caught this on the "22-250 thread currently running:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12VLPDBM

1:9 22-250's do exist!

Laphroaig

I don't think that's the only variant of a fast twist 22-250 they offer either.

barnbwt
July 13, 2014, 09:17 AM
How are the votes possibly distributed across such disperse areas? And who are the fools saying "enough"? Man I hate gun consumers; simultaneously wanting everything at the same time, knowing full well they'll only buy what they already own and prefer :rolleyes:

TCB

Outlaw Man
July 13, 2014, 10:19 AM
i'd like to see the 444 marlin make a comeback, along with the 338 federal.
I'd love to actually be able to find .338 Fed. ammo locally.

I'd like to see someone come up with a way for mass-produced bold-actions to actually have a smooth action. Most of them range from ok to terrible. I realize I shouldn't be expecting it on less expensive rifles, but that's why I ultimately went with a Ruger American Rimfire over an Anschutz for my daughter. The Anschutz will always be worth more, but I'm not sure she could operate the one I handled as soon. For a $1000 22, I expect to get more than a pretty stock.

Potatohead
July 13, 2014, 12:05 PM
A rifle with a good cheek weld.

Scot43
July 13, 2014, 07:57 PM
A high quality 22-250 walking/calling varmint rifle around 6 lbs as opposed to brain dead firearms manufacturers who are stuck on the idea that a varmint rifle has to weight 10 lbs. Wake up and get out of the 60's folks.

WhoMe?
July 13, 2014, 10:21 PM
...stocks that give a proper cheek weld with a scope mounted.

A rifle with a good cheek weld.

I couldn't agree more! I was beginning to wonder if I was just built funny.

As for what I would like to see, i'd like a lightweight takedown in a smaller centerfire (.243 or so) that's not "tactical". Something good for a pack.

HOOfan_1
July 13, 2014, 10:30 PM
CZ 805 Bren
more 6.5x55 options
Mossberg 1892 repro
A faster. 22 rimfire with a chance to actually survive

cat_IT_guy
July 13, 2014, 10:32 PM
I dont really want people to stop innovating guns, but at the same time.... my wish list is already way bigger than my budget, and thats if no one designs or markets a new gun in my lifetime (barring a lottery win or otherwise unlikely sudden fortune).

fiddleharp
July 14, 2014, 07:43 AM
I'd like to see the import ban on Norinco arms & ammo lifted.
By the way, Greyling22, I like tube magazines on .22 rifles for several reasons. For one, I've never had a lick of trouble with any tube mag I've ever owned. Wish I could say the same thing about my new Savage MK-II and it's never-ending feeding and extraction malfunctions. For a while I thought that I had somehow bought an isolated example of a "lemon" until I started reading all the complaints at RimfireCentral and other boards. Apparently, some sort of design flaw plagues this model.
While my good old Marlin 39A has served me well over the last forty years, I'd still like to see a lefthanded bolt on a tube-fed rifle. It's nice to be able to shoot CB's, shorts, longs, and long rifle instead of just long rifle.

HOOfan_1
July 14, 2014, 08:07 AM
I'd like to see the import ban on Norinco arms & ammo lifted.

While we are at it get rid of the idiotic(and IMO unconstitutional) import ban on "non-sporting" firearms.

rbernie
July 14, 2014, 08:12 AM
A rifle with a good cheek weld.Ain't gonna happen - the trend of shooting rifles off of a bench under controlled conditions has effectively killed the cheek weld, IMO.

Truth be told, I'd like to see a few more pump rifle options. That's not likely to happen, though.

I'd also like to see more lightweight bolt guns in intermediate chamberings. I'd love to have a carryabout 6.8SPC or 300AAC option, but I'm not keen on building one myself off of a 308 sized action.

Corn-Picker
July 14, 2014, 08:55 AM
Ain't gonna happen - the trend of shooting rifles off of a bench under controlled conditions has effectively killed the cheek weld, IMO.

Truth be told, I'd like to see a few more pump rifle options. That's not likely to happen, though.

I'd also like to see more lightweight bolt guns in intermediate chamberings. I'd love to have a carryabout 6.8SPC or 300AAC option, but I'm not keen on building one myself off of a 308 sized action.
What type of stock are you envisioning? Can you post a picture of a classic rifle with a stock you like?

I think the cheek weld on my TC dimension and Vanguard S2 are both excellent. The comb on the Dimension is so high that they had to put a little cutout in the front of the comb to allow bolt removal. Other than the dimension and the Weatherbys, I agree that the standard stocks offered by most manufacturers are pretty poor for cheek weld.

rbernie
July 14, 2014, 11:06 AM
I think the cheek weld on my TC dimension and Vanguard S2 are both excellent. The Vanguard uses a Monte Carlo, which is not a parallel comb and can provide variability in cheek weld based on variances in how you shoulder it. But it's better than most. TCs have also always been good on cheek weld - I dallied for years with Encores and Contenders because their stock designs were close. Heck, the stock on an H&R HandiRifle is pretty darn good fitment-wise for me.

The stock that most folk need, if they do mostly offhand shooting, is probably something like this:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-563/Manners-FN-Bolt-Rifle/Detail

The key features for me are a raised comb that is parallel to the bore and pretty close to centered on the bore centerline. Most stocks made these days have too little drop and put too much of the stock above the 'pocket'. Stocks with little drop at the heel are great for prone/bench work or for driving recoil on heavy recoiling rifles back into the pocket, but the benefit of recoil management is lost if the only way to get a good cheek weld is to perch the toe of the stock halfway up the pocket and have an inch of buttpad sticking up above the shoulder.

R H Clark
July 14, 2014, 11:13 AM
It would be nice if someone would build a light weight stainless rifle that had proper twist as well as mag box length to take advantage of twist. It seems no one can connect the dots in a factory rifle to shoot the best bullets. They might get one right but inevitably miss the other.

Corn-Picker
July 14, 2014, 01:31 PM
I'll throw another idea out there. There have been a lot of advancements in "just in time" manufacturing, and no one likes to stock inventory, so what about a major manufacturer developing a "build a rifle" option:

Choose you action (micro, short, long, or magnum) and caliber
Choose your stock (style, material, LOP)
Choose your trigger (conventional, two stage, set)
Choose barrel (length, contour, material, threading, twist)
Choose extras (engraving, hinged floor vs magazine, rails, etc...)

Seems to me that you could design the components (e.g. single stage trigger and two stage trigger) to fill the same footprint so that final assembly would proceed the same for all rifles regardless of which components the customer chooses.

If a major manufacturer did this how much more expensive would the rifle be? Certainly the guy who wants a bolt action Grendel with a 12.5" LOP wooden monte carlo stock, hinged floor plate, two stage trigger, and 28" stainless barrel would happily pay a few hundred dollars over the standard offerings.

Maybe the big guys have thought about this and it's too cost prohibitive, certainly you lose some economy of scale if you can't hammer forge barrels and order 10,000 copies of a single stock design.

ETXhiker
July 14, 2014, 05:12 PM
I wished for years that someone would come up with a rimfire rifle of a larger caliber than .22 - maybe a 6mm or a .25 rimfire. The idea was something with a little more punch for small game and plinking, but still cheap to shoot. The idea is moot now, I guess, since .22 is going for as much as $8.00 a box.

I like the idea someone suggested of a small, light pump rifle in .357. Maybe bring back the .25-20 or .32-20? Oh, well. Ain't gonna happen...

ArchAngelCD
July 14, 2014, 05:26 PM
More semi-autos that are legal in all 50 states.
That is not a function of the firearms industry, that is a function of the voter. Stop putting anti-gun nuts in offices that can pass silly laws making something as simple as a flash hider illegal.

HexHead
July 14, 2014, 05:36 PM
I was going to post something very similar; I want Weatherby to release a Vanguard S2 with threaded muzzle. The already have the best stock shapes and triggers, now all they need is a few models with threaded muzzles.
Order it with the Accubrake, the it'll be threaded.

tdoyka
July 14, 2014, 07:28 PM
I wished for years that someone would come up with a rimfire rifle of a larger caliber than .22 - maybe a 6mm or a .25 rimfire. The idea was something with a little more punch for small game and plinking, but still cheap to shoot. The idea is moot now, I guess, since .22 is going for as much as $8.00 a box.

I like the idea someone suggested of a small, light pump rifle in .357. Maybe bring back the .25-20 or .32-20? Oh, well. Ain't gonna happen...
i'd do the 25-20 and the 32-20

HOOfan_1
July 14, 2014, 07:32 PM

http://www.uberti.com/lightning-rifle

6 pounds...seems kind of light

osprey176
July 14, 2014, 08:17 PM
Traditional lever action in 25-20,32-20,218Bee,32Mag.Ruger American in 7mmRem mag and 300 Win mag,(I don't need one,but I think they would sell.) More compact bolt actions in medium range calibers-6.8 SPC,7.62x39,6.5 Grendel,6x45. More Contender options in carbine barrels...Bring back the Ruger #3-I know it wasn't a huge success,but I like them.

Jason_W
July 14, 2014, 11:28 PM
Interesting replies. Seems like ideas are almost as numerous as those responding to this thread.

If you enjoyed reading about "What kind of new rifle option do you hope hits the market soon?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!