Laser for my 442

July 13, 2014, 05:14 PM
The club bought a new plate rack and I tried it out today with my 442 J frame. Sadly I was wiffing on the larger plates. I guess my eyes degraded a bit more since last fall or it was the lighting.

Since I typically carry the J frame when I carry, I took a peek at lasers since I need some help. Searching J frame laser got me to a opticsplanet add for the Lasermax LX-LS-CF-JFRAME. Price seemed too good to be true but I couldn't find any reviews.

Does anyone have any experience with it? It hasn't been out long. It looks like it would work fine with pocket carry using a pocket holster.

If you enjoyed reading about "Laser for my 442" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
July 13, 2014, 08:35 PM
For a J frame laser, I highly recommend the Crimson Trace 405 grip. Mounting is simple and the grips are very comfy to shoot with. They usually can be found in the $200 range. As to the Laser Max I have no experience with them, but if I have to use an off hand manipulation to activate the laser, it would be a no go for emergency use. I've had my CT405s for 4 years and am very happy with them.

357 Terms
July 13, 2014, 09:40 PM
The Crimson Trace grips have the front activation, where just by gripping the revolver the laser is activated, no thought required.

The lasermax is different, you must push a button while getting a grip.

I would recomend going to a gun shop and getting a feel for both, I think you will prefer the CT configuration.

July 13, 2014, 10:01 PM
Any laser where you have to do any more than hold the grip is useless for a defensive situation. They do make good training tools though.

July 13, 2014, 11:28 PM
I'd look into the Centerfire model from Lasermax. My friend purchased a new Ruger LCR with a red laser Centerfire in 2013. It worked good. You might need to adjust the POA/POI on the unit.
The Crimsontrace brand is okay. See . They offer free customer DVDs & catalogs. I think they still have a free replacement battery offer too. You can get free CT batteries as long as you own the lasergrip.
I had a after market CT lasergrip on my Taurus Protector Ti .357magnum in 2004. I liked it but the small screws stuck out a bit after a bit of modifying. If you shoot right handed mostly you should do okay.

July 13, 2014, 11:56 PM
IMHO crimson trace is better than ok, they are hands down the best lasers. I have several

July 14, 2014, 12:05 PM
I have a pair of 405's on my 340pd and 305's on a 640. The 405's are considerably smaller but do absorb recoil very nicely.
Great products from a customer oriented manufacturer.

July 15, 2014, 06:17 PM
I have a Crimson Trace on my 642 and it works as advertised.

July 15, 2014, 06:37 PM
+1 Crimson Trace. The intuitive activation is the only way to go.

July 15, 2014, 07:12 PM
my wife has CT on her model 60, works best for her.

July 15, 2014, 10:18 PM
I have a Crimson Trace on my 60-9. I think the model no. is 105. A good grip on the revolver and it is on. I like it and can use it well enough.

July 16, 2014, 03:04 AM
Crimson Trace LG-405 grips are the best but also the most expensive. If you want extended grips the LG-305 will work better for you. The LG-105 grips are thinner and more suited for very small hands and they cost about $100 less than the LG-405. All three are very good and will do the job.

If you like the grips that came with the revolver or you want to install custom grips like I did LaserMax makes a laser that mounts on the trigger guard and they are extremely reliable. The full Retail price for those is only $149 but you can find them for $129.

October 10, 2014, 07:13 PM
I'm fairly happy with my laser max. It rubs a bit on the cylinder making reloads a bit less smooth. A bit of filing may fix that. There is a bit of a gap where it clamps onto the trigger guard.

Pretty easy for me to activate the switch.

It is holding its zero, I can see the laser on overcast days, it was a good purchase.

October 10, 2014, 08:14 PM
+1 for CT. Pair on my 637 and another on my wife's 442. No issues at all.

October 12, 2014, 09:04 AM

If you enjoyed reading about "Laser for my 442" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!