AR-180B Problem

PDA

Stephen1956
July 13, 2014, 08:01 PM
Yes I got stuck with on of these in 2006 my fault should have done some research but that $525.00 price looked good. I cut the fake muzzle break off all the way but now I want to put a flash hider on it. But since the Gunsmith and myself couldn't figure out how get the barrel off we couldn't get it on. So what if I was to have it bored out to .625" the barrel diameter and put red Loctite on it does any one thing it will work.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-180B Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
July 13, 2014, 08:08 PM
You might want to read this thread over on AR15.com:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=486291

Stephen1956
July 13, 2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks, Sam I'll check it out.

Stephen1956
July 13, 2014, 08:41 PM
I'd already checked that out and I used to be a Machinist but have no access to the equipment to make it and I don't have $50 to pay for the tool. I got the Loctite idea from a guy at Coyote School 180b review and that's the way he did it. He just didn't cut the muzzle break off. If you get a chance Google it, very good article. But I'm kind of into with Armalite over the hinge pin seems recoil will break it their suggestion pay Stormwerkz $80.00 for the metal on. My suggestion they buy it didn't design the rifle, they did so it's up to them. But thanks for the help I'd like to just change the barrel I've read it can be done.

Sam1911
July 13, 2014, 09:08 PM
Oh, well as long as you don't do a lot of mag dumps it should probably be fine. (By a lot, maybe not even one...don't know exactly how hot red locktite has to get to loosen up, but barrels will set wood stocks on fire after really prolonged firing.)

Stephen1956
July 14, 2014, 09:32 PM
Sam if you use red Loctite it takes a torch to get hot enough to remove it really holds and if I get a bored out a few thousandths smaller it can also be kind of pressed onto the barrel that'll help also. A good friend of mine has a machine we'll get it figured out. Thanks for help and support.

Sam1911
July 14, 2014, 09:53 PM
Good luck!

briansmithwins
July 14, 2014, 09:54 PM
Maybe a press fit and cross pin, like how the M16 front sight base is secured?

BSW

wally
July 15, 2014, 12:07 PM
Sam if you use red Loctite it takes a torch to get hot enough to remove it

The data sheet for red Loc-Tite says it releases at ~500 F

I'd suggest drilling and tapping a set screw with a little indent drilled into the barrel along with the Loc-Tite -- done this with a Saiga muzzle attachment.

Maybe a press fit and cross pin, like how the M16 front sight base is secured
This will be difficult without machine tools, a simple drill and tap can be done with hand tools. Drill the muzzle device, orient it how you wand on the barrel and drill ~ 1/16 - 1/8" into the barrel, tap for the setscrew and install with Loc-Tite. If the basic fit is good that little protrusion of the setscrew into the barrel will keep it from moving. Its of course much easier with a drill press.

You might find Loc-Tite 620 a better choice if the muzzle device has more than a few thousands clearance.

Stephen1956
July 15, 2014, 09:06 PM
Thanks Brian and wally the last on was done just like you said wally bored and pinned on by a gun smith with blue Loc-tite. And now it's about 3200' up in the Jefferson National Forest it fell of $ 29.00 lost. Amazon has a flash hider that threads 5/8th of an inch the size of my rifle barrel since the threads are fine it should work. I'm going to talk to my buddy who has a machine shop. Might be able to take a 5/8th die and just thread the barrel. I'm going to keep the rifle doubt if anyone would buy it. But this might be the way to go. Or bore out the 1/2 x 28 small and press it on with Loctite. But if you have any other suggestions I'm open to them you can't never get to much help and you guys are good. But after all is said and done it's a decent rifle still accurate and love the gas piston easy to clean and in 8 years have had maybe 20 FTE but that polymer lower is my complaint if it ever cracks anywhere but at the pivot point well I'll have a club.

Stephen1956
August 13, 2014, 09:14 PM
Ok guys got it machined it to 1/2 thousandth of tolerance and pressed it on. I have the pictures but can't figure out how to post them I also rebuilt the lower with Bush Master parts took out about a quarter of an inch of creep. And the trigger pull went from 8 pounds to about 5 and 1/2 pounds acceptable. So I redid the bolt those Armalite parts were about wore out. Now I need the firing pin and spring which have to come from Armalite about $22.00 for the parts, but $18.95 for shipping makes no sense.

kwg020
August 14, 2014, 08:42 AM
NO. I don't consider red locktite as a "positive lock". I don't think anyone else will either. At a minimum it needs to be pinned. kwg

I see you tried pinning it as well. I'm not sure press fitting it will hold but good luck. It needs threaded. You should consider doing a 9/16 thread which does not take off too much metal. There are 9/16 flash hiders out there. Check Brownells for them. kwg

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-180B Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!