anyone still hunt and eat squirrels??

PDA

midland man
July 17, 2014, 12:34 AM
I love to hunt squirrels and I use a shotgun whiles the trees are still leafed out then once the leaves are gone in the winter I use a 22 rifle to make things more interesting! so anyone still hunt squirrels and what you use and how you cook them etc?:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone still hunt and eat squirrels??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M1GarandDeerHunter
July 17, 2014, 12:41 AM
Early season I use my twenty ga or twelve ga single shot. A little later in the season .22 Marlin model 39 being a favorite. My wife makes a barbecue sauce and throws the squirrels in a crock pot. Yummy!:)

midland man
July 17, 2014, 01:40 AM
cool I have a singleshot 12 gauge and a henry leveraction 22 and a marlin singleshot 22 I use as well :)

gamestalker
July 17, 2014, 02:04 AM
I haven't in a long time, but I used to go every year. We would shoot them with 22's or pellet guns, then cook em up over a grill with Bar B Q sauce, quite tasty!

GS

mastergunner
July 17, 2014, 02:10 AM
Grew up hunting and eating squirrels in WVa. but the ones here in this part of Tx. are small and unappealing. Generally used 6 shot in any gauge, or .22. They are pretty good quartered soaked in salt water overnight and rolled in flour with salt and pepper and just pan fried in a little oil.

M1GarandDeerHunter
July 17, 2014, 03:04 AM
I've done pan fried as well, quite good. I also had some terrible table fare as well, that my brother in law cooked up. Very dry. The trick it seems with tree rats as we call them, is to not let them dry out.

Another common method of cooking is to pour a can of soup in with the critter and cook till it falls apart. Bunnies are good that way too. In a crock pot.

Small game hunting is not as popular here as it once was due to high interest in bow hunting. It is not uncommon to peeve some tree stand hunter as you stalk through the woods for spooking his deer off. :o

Interested what other guys do with them as I like trying different things with them. As for guns, not much is needed. I like the single shot 20, due to light weight and its fun to hunt with. The Henry is a good rifle for nailing these critters in the head. A single shot will MAKE you aim. LOL!:D

red rick
July 17, 2014, 06:55 AM
I love squirrel hunting after deer season is over . It extends my time in the woods almost another 2 months . I use a .22 just to put a little more challenge in it . My nephew uses a .20 ga. I fry them just like chicken .

Cocked & Locked
July 17, 2014, 08:53 AM
Shot some this season with my LeFever Nitro Special 16 gauge double. Used Estate shells with #6 shot.

It was a double treat. The paper base wads in the fired hulls smelled like the fired paper shells from years ago. Fried the squirrels and made some gravy in the skillet...not bad at all.
I don't like skinning squirrels...never been good at it. :scrutiny:

kbbailey
July 17, 2014, 08:56 AM
Oh yea,
A family favorite hunt. We own a decent amount of hardwood forest, and have an annual camp/squirrel hunt in August.
I use a .45 flintlock or .22 pistol with red dot. #3 son uses a Savage .22/.410. Scoped ,22 rifles are most popular.

Fried squirrel and gravy.

Captcurt
July 17, 2014, 10:37 AM
I don't hunt them much since our archery season for deer opens in late September, but back in the good old days we had tree ratsl a lot. In fact my youngest girl didn't know that you could make dumplins with chicken until she was 12 years old.

M1GarandDeerHunter
July 17, 2014, 11:36 AM
Captcurt I don't hunt them much since our archery season for deer opens in late September, but back in the good old days we had tree ratsl a lot. In fact my youngest girl didn't know that you could make dumplins with chicken until she was 12 years old.

LOL!

Captcurt
July 17, 2014, 03:44 PM
M1,

That is the honest truth. She actually said that.

Arkansas Paul
July 17, 2014, 03:46 PM
Oh yeah.
Squirrel and dumplings are much better than chicken IMO. I'm not big on just fried squirrel but I'll shoot em and clean em all day for some dumplings.

MCgunner
July 17, 2014, 04:30 PM
Of course.....

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2rf9ffc.jpg

cowpoke
July 17, 2014, 05:54 PM
squirrel fatten on acorns an hickory nuts , heck yea

midland man
July 17, 2014, 11:46 PM
hey mcgunner that's a nice pistol there! I tried handgun hunting with a pistol one time and I got several squirrels and it was a lot of fun! :)

frankenstein406
July 18, 2014, 01:21 AM
22 semi auto mainly but sighting in a bolt action for this season. So far have only tried a few crock pot recipes that turn out good. Planning on trying to find a good blaze orange camo shirt and jacket since I hunt on public.

M1GarandDeerHunter
July 18, 2014, 01:56 AM
MCgunner, The pic says it all.... :D

jimbeaux82
July 18, 2014, 03:29 AM
Cajun Sauce Piquante

Ingredients needed:
(recipe for 4-6 people)

2-3 med-large ducks, squirrels, rabbits or venison
2 large onions
2 bell peppers
2 cans chopped rotelle tomatoes with jalipaneos
4 tbs cooking oil
salt
black pepper
cayanne pepper
4 cups white rice

1) cut game into manageable pieces
2) add oil to cast iron pot, brown meat thoroughly in cast iron pot. Remove and place in separate bowl.
3) Chop onions and bell peppers as desired.
4) Brown onions and bell peppers thoroughly in cast iron pot.
5) Add browned game pieces to cast iron pot.
6) Add salt and pepper as desired.
7) Add 2 cans rotelle tomatoes. Add water to cover meat.
8) Bring to boil. Allow to boil for 5 minutes.
9) Reduce heat and cook on low-med heat until meat is tender and gravy is desired thickness (2 2 hours).
10) Cook rice seperately in another pot or rice cooker.
11) Serve over cooked rice.

This recipe is excellent using venison, squirrels, rabbit or any combination of the 4.

Leissez Les Bon Temps Roulette !!!!

LT.Diver
July 18, 2014, 07:57 AM
Squirrel pot pie. Yummy.

MCgunner
July 18, 2014, 10:46 AM
hey mcgunner that's a nice pistol there! I tried handgun hunting with a pistol one time and I got several squirrels and it was a lot of fun!

Yup, I could get more with a shotgun, but pistol hunting 'em has been a lot more fun for me. I chased 'em with .22 rifles when I was a kid, but started handgun hunting in the 80s for squirrel and deer/hogs. I don't exclude rifles on deer/hogs and shotgun/.22s on squirrel during my woods walks. Often carry my shotgun with one 5 shot 3" 20 gauge for squirrel and one slug in case I rustle up a hog, but when I'm jsut after squirrels, I really like to use a handgun to make it a bit more challenging. Off hand shots ain't in the cards that way. :D

In my part of Texas, there is no closed season on squirrels. So, if there ain't any hogs around and it's not deer or bird season, I can always go after squirrels. :D

anothernewb
July 18, 2014, 12:17 PM
dang. I need to get some acreage or find somewhere to get some. How many acres of woodlot would it take do provide some decent chances at getting some?

Then - how many squirrels would it take to make a decent meal for 4 - figuring in some leftovers?

There's plenty of tree rats in town that live off bird feeders - but I really don't know how healthy they'd be to eat.

buck460XVR
July 18, 2014, 12:36 PM
Cut my teeth hunting squirrels as a kid, then got away from it when I took up bowhunting(bow season and deer season runs concurrent here). When my first son was old enough to hunt, I got back into squirrel hunting till he moved on to bowhunting. Same happened with the youngest boy. Having a bird dog that likes to hunt keeps me from pursuing them much also. One only has so much time, but the tactics learned from squirrel hunting are universal for most game animals.

Captcurt
July 18, 2014, 03:03 PM
squirrel fatten on acorns an hickory nuts , heck yea
The ones in my yard are corn fed.:D:D

Vern Humphrey
July 18, 2014, 03:08 PM
I've got them all over -- the wife feeds the birds, and the squirrels come for the sunflower seeds that fall out of the bird feeders.

I live on 185 acres deep in the woods, and do a lot of squirrel hunting -- mostly with either a Kimber M82 or a Colt Woodsman.

Right now, though, squirrels have "wuffs" -- bots -- and I'm waiting for the first frost.

MCgunner
July 18, 2014, 05:11 PM
dang. I need to get some acreage or find somewhere to get some. How many acres of woodlot would it take do provide some decent chances at getting some?

Then - how many squirrels would it take to make a decent meal for 4 - figuring in some leftovers?

You can successfully hunt on a heavily wooded acre, but more land you have, the more opportunities you'll get. If I hear 'em squalling or barking, I'll stalk 'em, great fun.

I actually only own 3 long, skinny acres here, but have permission to hunt squirrel on 27 acres adjoining me. SO, I've got 30 acres to roam. LOTS of small game on 30 acres around here. Heck, lots of deer and hogs, too. The woods here are thick post oak.

The squirrel I shot in that pic was at the back of my own place. I seem to have more squirrel on my place than on the adjoining 27 acres of my two neighbors. I think that is probably because they don't run feeders and I have a feeder out back. They don't hunt anything so don't feed the wildlife. The folks with the 17 acres are absentee land owners, only ever here on the weekends. They just bought the place to get out of Houston on the weekends, I think. I can understand that, I reckon.

As to how many for a meal. it's just me and the wife and 2 will make us a stew in the crock pot. I can eat 1/12 or two fried, myself, but the wife has less of an appetite, one is enough for her. So, if I'm going to fry 'em, I'll need 3. Double that for 4 I reckon.

Vern Humphrey
July 18, 2014, 05:43 PM
You can successfully hunt on a heavily wooded acre, but more land you have, the more opportunities you'll get. If I hear 'em squalling or barking, I'll stalk 'em, great fun.
The problem isn't acreage, it's the neighbors. Some people will throw a fit and call the cops if they hear you shooting -- even if it's perfectly legal.

Me, I can shoot a .30-06 and my nearest neighbor can't even hear it.

MCgunner
July 18, 2014, 06:30 PM
Depends on where you're at, Vern. I have one permanent neighbor that's still building to one side, good fellow. The other permanent neighbor, guy across the road, has about 30 acres, has a gun range out front of his house and shoots all the time. Sundays down here, you can hear gunfire everywhere with people practicing on their personal ranges. This is shooters heaven down here, one reason I moved here. :D I've got a pistol range in my back yard, a 100 yard rifle range on the side. Hell, there's a full auto range up the road toward Hallettsville and they blow up Tannerite all the time there, kinda riles the neighbors. LOL That's about 10 miles, though, doesn't bother me here.

Some folks can't afford a hundred acres. Here, it goes from 5,000 to 10,000 an acre, but we got this place as a HUD repossession for 50K, 5 year old 1700 sq ft home, well, septic, everything. Now, I could move out to Art's part of the world, Terlingua, and probably buy 300 or 400 acres and afford it, but I'm not really into living off the grid and a water well out there could cost me more'n the land. :D

I searched for over a year on www.landsoftexas.com before we found this place. I was really thinkin' Camp Wood area, had a contract on a home in Barksdale contingent on the sale of our home in Corpus, but we didn't sell the home and they wouldn't renew the contract. The home sold 2 weeks later, I considered that a sign that perhaps the Lord didn't want us in Barksdale. :D Here, I have woods and my own shooting range. That's my woods behind the backstop. I shot this pic for a post in the Black Powder forum today. Had we moved to Barksdale, I couldn't have a range, would have to wait until I sell my Calhoun county land and buy 20 or 30 acres up there. I'll probably turn that money around when I get it and pay off this place and be debt free.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/qy7gb8.jpg

Vern Humphrey
July 18, 2014, 06:34 PM
Congratulations on your neighbors. But neighbors can sell out, move, and so on. I prefer to be where the neighbors can't tell what I'm doing.

Of course, I bought my land 45 years ago, for $50 an acre. I had just got back from my second tour in Viet Nam and my wife and I went looking for cheap, remote land. We built a house on it 30 years later.

MCgunner
July 18, 2014, 06:50 PM
Of course, I bought my land 45 years ago, for $50 an acre.

Well, there ya go. :D Even west Texas desert is 250-500 an acre now. Not very good squirrel huntin' out there, either, and you need 40 acres just to have a front yard. It's bald desert with nothing, but cactus and creosote bush. The game hangs out in the dry washes and draws.

I remember when I was a kid in the 60s ads in the back of Outdoor Life for land in Idaho for a penny an acre. I would get all excited, but as the ol' man said, probably on top of a mountain with nothing flat enough for a helicopter landing pad. LOL!

There's affordable land up in east Texas, well, sorta affordable compared to Colorado county, probably half the price. I looked up there, found a few interesting places. There's public hunting up there and the squirrel hunting is fantastic, but there are seasons on 'em in most east Texas counties. I didn't wanna move that far from family, either. How's the squirrel hunting in Alaska? :D

BTW, just heard my neighbor fire a shotgun. :D

Vern Humphrey
July 18, 2014, 06:54 PM
When I was just a little lad, we used to go for Sunday drives, and my grandfather would moan about all the good buys he missed -- "I can remember when you could buy a lot here for $100!"

That taught me a lesson -- if you think land is high now, wait a few years. What you buy now will be a great bargain in a decade, and real money in three or four.

MCgunner
July 18, 2014, 06:57 PM
That taught me a lesson -- if you think land is high now, wait a few years. What you buy now will be a great bargain in a decade, and real money in three or four.

Absolutely. They're making more humans every day, but there's only a fixed amount of land.

jayrock
July 18, 2014, 06:58 PM
I'm up in mass I use a .25 pcp air rifle I soak Em in a water soy sauce and cider vinegar solution over nite then wrap Em in bacon and throw them in the oven pretty tasty tree rat !!

Legionnaire
July 18, 2014, 08:06 PM
Work schedule has kept me from hunting squirrel much in the last couple of years, but I find it great fun. Introduced my now-adult children to hunting chasing squirrels. My favorite squirrel getter is a Savage 24 .22 mag/20 gauge combo. Yes, the .22 mag is overkill for tree rats, but it is very accurate allowing for head shots out to 50 yards. The .22 mag gets the nod for squirrels on the ground, the 20 gauge for treed critters.

Squirrel and broccoli casserole. Yum.

Vern Humphrey
July 18, 2014, 08:11 PM
For late season squirrels, when the leaves are off the trees, the .22 Mag is hard to beat. The only thing better is a .22 Hornet with cast bullets.

midland man
July 19, 2014, 02:22 AM
this is cool never let the squirrel hunting die! in fact today I picked up a new ruger air magnum in 22 so i'll have to test it out on the squirrels soon!! :)

thefish
July 19, 2014, 10:27 AM
I shoot them off my deck first thing in the morning. Using .22 short and a 21" barrel it's quieter than a pellet gun. Hate those things, they found a way into my house a few winters ago and nested and made a real mess inside the walls and ceilings, so I try to eradicate them as I see them. I get about one a day over at the woodpile.

Eat them, no.

Vern Humphrey
July 19, 2014, 11:58 AM
Well, shame on you then. You're missing out on some fine eating.

Officers'Wife
July 19, 2014, 01:28 PM
When I was just a little lad, we used to go for Sunday drives, and my grandfather would moan about all the good buys he missed -- "I can remember when you could buy a lot here for $100!"

Right now the guys are baling hay on 60 acres that my great great grandfather bought for two wagonloads of oats and a set of harness for a mule. It's appraised at $2500 an acre and would likely sell for 4k should we decide to part with it.

Back on topic, we have an employee that would rather eat squirrel or catfish than beef. He claims he would have quit when my Dad retired and turned the farm over to my brother but he would never find another job where the fringe benefits include 21.6 acres of woods to hunt. I would hate to even try to guess how many squirrels he kills in a year's time.

Vern Humphrey
July 19, 2014, 01:31 PM
Now there's a man who has his priorities straight.:D

Cocked & Locked
July 19, 2014, 03:28 PM
Now there's a man who has his priorities straight.:D

That he does!

MCgunner
July 19, 2014, 06:48 PM
Now there's a man who has his priorities straight.

Yup, money can't buy happiness. :D

Jason_W
July 19, 2014, 07:39 PM
I never developed a taste for them. Gray squirrels have what I find to be an unpleasant tangy flavor, and red squirrels taste a horrible as they sound and behave. Tree rats are not on my menu.

Vern Humphrey
July 19, 2014, 08:04 PM
Yup, money can't buy happiness.
On the other hand, misery is dirt cheap.;)

Sun Tzu warrior
July 20, 2014, 12:52 AM
Over on Rimfire central (hunting) they have an annual Squirrel hunt, at Shawnee national forest in Illinois, quite an event..... not too late to get in on it, they are all about their rimfires though, shotguns, not so much.
STW

midland man
July 20, 2014, 02:49 AM
wow that sounds like fun! :)

Blue68f100
July 20, 2014, 09:57 AM
My dad lives in the piney woods of east Texas. Grays have pretty much ran the the reds out. He is 5 mi from the nearest town, and has 32 ac. Since he has pecan trees, it's a constant battle on who is going to get them. Right now were having problems with squirrels getting into the peaches. They attack them just like nuts. Shake all they can off and carry 1 off. It's a sight to see a 6oz peach being carried off. These late peaches are weighing 6-10 oz in size. Since it almost weighs as much as they do. Coons are a problem too. Been using some bait and traps for them.

It's nice to be able to walk out the back door and shoot any gun you want at any time. You hear gun shots all the time around here, day or night. Just last night I hung up my polymer ball and had target practice with my 1911 and MKIII.

Vern Humphrey
July 20, 2014, 09:59 AM
Over on Rimfire central (hunting) they have an annual Squirrel hunt, at Shawnee national forest in Illinois, quite an event
They let you bring guns into Illinois?

Marlin 45 carbine
July 20, 2014, 11:40 AM
cut into pieces and shaken in a bag with seasoned flour. fryed until browned, remove from pan and make gravy in. replace meat simmer for 15-20 mins.
or simmer down in seasoned water and add egg dumplings.
count on 1-2 squacks per diner depending on size.
I use my AMT .22lr. sometimes 20 ga.

Captcurt
July 20, 2014, 12:23 PM
Whoever said that money can't buy happiness has never shopped at Bass Pro.

Hanshi
July 20, 2014, 03:54 PM
Ah! I've hunted squirrels for over 53 years with mostly various .22s. Used a shotgun prior to that. For years, now, my gun of choice is either my .36 flintlock or my .32. Everything I hunt is with flintlocks.

Hanshi
July 20, 2014, 04:13 PM
Well, really forgot to add this. Many squirrels have fallen to my .45 flintlock, various .22LR revolvers and autos & Ruger single sixes, a .22mag S&W, various .38spl S&Ws, .45 Ruger BlackHawk and S&W M25, two different pellet guns, a .357mag Smith and a .58 Zouave. Probably others I forgot.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/hanshi_photo/PICT0577-2-1-1.jpg (http://s599.photobucket.com/user/hanshi_photo/media/PICT0577-2-1-1.jpg.html)

.22 rifles from an old Winchester single shot, Remington 514, Nylon 66, Marlin 39A, Kimber M82 and a few others.

MCgunner
July 21, 2014, 03:03 PM
Whoever said that money can't buy happiness has never shopped at Bass Pro.

That's just stuff, but I'll admit to being lured there. :D

*Kemosabe*
July 21, 2014, 03:28 PM
Yup, money can't buy happiness.
Vern Humphrey - "On the other hand, misery is dirt cheap."

But it sure does make misery easier to contend with! :D:D:D

*Kemosabe*
July 21, 2014, 03:39 PM
@ Cocked & Locked - I used to skin ‘em the hard way. Now I use the technique in this YouTube video. Try it… you’ll like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BZB7iE2b21M

johnnyphaze
July 21, 2014, 05:57 PM
a few buddies of mine hunt/eat them. i have never tried...how's the taste?

Vern Humphrey
July 21, 2014, 06:03 PM
a few buddies of mine hunt/eat them. i have never tried...how's the taste?
Not bad -- they taste just like squirrel.:p

midland man
July 21, 2014, 09:33 PM
I like eating them they are just good!! :)

HoploDad
July 22, 2014, 12:46 AM
Never tried it. Had one that was causing damage to my property. Laid in wait, took him out. Had the thought that my family forefathers certainly ate squirrel, even to the point of depending on them from time to time - so I looked on youtube, determined how to properly skin & gut him, soaked the meat in salt water overnight, cut off the good bits the next day (rear haunches and the teeny backstraps), rubbed on some olive oil, rolled in flour/pepper/salt and fried in a pan with a little more olive oil.

It was fantastic - I was surprised how good!

QUESTION: there is no "season" in Texas, but is it wise to eat squirrel only at certain times of year? Why?

QUESTION #2: I fed the raw squirrel heart and liver to my appreciative dog. Any reason not to do that?

1911 guy
July 22, 2014, 05:57 AM
While i love to deer hunt and bag birds every chance i get, the majority of my hunting time is whacking tree rats. I cook them both in crock pots and stove top. Got a couple favorite recipes each cooking method.

eastbank
July 22, 2014, 07:44 AM
i love to hunt them with my rem 581 .22 with a compact 3x9 leupold scope and to 75 yards head shots are common. but the old man i gave them to died and i don,t shoot much that don,t get eaten these days, as soon as i find someone who will eat them i,ll go hunting them, i even clean them . eastbank.

MCgunner
July 22, 2014, 09:48 AM
QUESTION: there is no "season" in Texas, but is it wise to eat squirrel only at certain times of year? Why?

Some folks say they get wolf worms, a subcutaneous (under the skin) worm, actually an insect larvae, that comes off with the skin and isn't harmful. Seen a lot of 'em on Rabbits, but not often on squirrel. Rabbits have another problem, Tularemia, or rabbit fever, in summer months, good reason to leave them alone or at least clean 'em with plastic or rubber gloves on. Cooked thoroughly, that's not a problem, either, but I kinda avoid rabbits in the summer months, but not squirrel. I eat squirrel shot year around. To each his own. Haven't been hunting 'em lately because it's friggin' HOT and HUMID out there.

QUESTION #2: I fed the raw squirrel heart and liver to my appreciative dog. Any reason not to do that?

To my knowledge, won't hurt him.

MCgunner
July 22, 2014, 09:54 AM
Another thought, if I had to wait for the first frost, I might not get to hunt down here some winters. First frost, if one comes, is usually in late December/early January and we're planting spring gardens in late February/early march.

July 22, 2014, 10:46 AM
As a teenager I patrolled a lane between cornfields and woods in the fall.The squirrels would be up on the corn stalks eating the kernels off the cobs.I would sneak along quietly until they discovered me.I would hear a rustling in the corn and a squirrel would dash across the lane for the woods.I had about 30 feet to nail him with the 12 guage.Very similar to shooting running rabbits a month later.Grandad helped to skin them and grandmom fried them for dinner.Now I live in town and have oak trees.We are overrun with them.They chewed the wires in my van to the tune of $170.I've live trapped 21 of them and released them in the country.I should go there and hunt them again.

1911 guy
July 23, 2014, 01:07 AM
I have seen the "wolf worms" in squirrels, but up here we call them "warble worms". Clean the squirrel properly and it's not a problem. Ohio has a season, but I still wouldn't hunt them until July or August just to give the young the best chance at survival to maintain a population. Purely personal opinion and easily discarded if the choice was shooting them
In April or going without.

wankerjake
July 23, 2014, 03:31 AM
It's a big part of my year, generally.
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/wankerjake/IMG_20121024_110126.jpg (http://s359.photobucket.com/user/wankerjake/media/IMG_20121024_110126.jpg.html)

johnnyphaze
July 23, 2014, 12:39 PM
lol

WV_Gunner
July 25, 2014, 03:35 PM
I never went as a kid, only deer hunted, so I gave it a shot last year. I seem 2, I missed both. The first was with my cylinder bore Mossberg 500 and the other with Marlin 55 GooseGun. The first time it was just too far and the 2nd it was running. I did blow a tree branch out. No worries though, my friend managed to shoot him and his buddy that ran off. I'm planning to go again this year. I might try my Savage 24 instead. I'm still undecided. What are you guys using for ammo? My friends use #4 3 inch shells out of full chokes with 12s, 16s, and 20s. My dad always uses #7 out of a 20 gauge and never anything as small as a full choke.

Vern Humphrey
July 25, 2014, 07:26 PM
Conventional wisdom is that #6 shot is adequate -- dense patterns and good penetration.

I much prefer a .22 rifle or handgun. For some reason, it's hard to find solid .22 these days -- it's all hollowpoint. I find hollowpoints are a bit too destructive for my taste on body shots, and if you're making headshots you don't need an expanding bullet.

MCgunner
July 26, 2014, 09:16 AM
I much prefer a .22 rifle or handgun. For some reason, it's hard to find solid .22 these days -- it's all hollowpoint. I find hollowpoints are a bit too destructive for my taste on body shots, and if you're making headshots you don't need an expanding bullet.

I made this conclusion when I was a kid in the 60s. And, I've shot a few with shotguns, but if I'm going to HUNT them, I'll take a .22, rifle or usually pistol.

When I was a kid, we lived in thick live oaks. Shots were closer than in the pines and i'd often shoot shorts. My little Remington bolt gun is quite accurate with shorts. Shorts are quiet and I'd often shoot one playing with another squirrel and get the other one because the shot didn't scare him off.

Badfishmi
July 26, 2014, 10:55 AM
I've hunted squirrels for past three years with a ithaca model 37 20ga #6 shot. This year I want to go the .22 route. I purchased a 10/22 50th anniversary edition for this. Now I need some glass for it and sight this sucker in.

Vern Humphrey
July 26, 2014, 01:26 PM
I made this conclusion when I was a kid in the 60s. And, I've shot a few with shotguns, but if I'm going to HUNT them, I'll take a .22, rifle or usually pistol.
To me, it's the .22 that makes squirrel hunting so much fun. It's all about hunting -- finding the feeding areas, moving slowly, listening, watching, spotting and stalking. And with squirrels, you can do a LOT of hunting.

MCgunner
July 26, 2014, 02:43 PM
To me, it's the .22 that makes squirrel hunting so much fun. It's all about hunting -- finding the feeding areas, moving slowly, listening, watching, spotting and stalking. And with squirrels, you can do a LOT of hunting.

And, for those reasons I was hooked on it as a kid. I think it made me a better hunter and marksman, too, in my formative years. I used to shun optics, but that's one thing that has changed since my eyes got older. :D

Vern Humphrey
July 26, 2014, 03:06 PM
I'm with you. I have several .22s with peep sights, including a Springfield M1922 MKII and a Stevens Favorite with a tang sight, but my eyes were sharper when I used those rifles.

I mostly use a Kimber M82 with a Burris 4X scope, or a 1938 Colt Woodsman with a 6 7/8" barrel these days.

matrem
July 26, 2014, 08:02 PM
Squirrel was the first "go find it" meat (other than fish) I was able to contribute to the dinner table in significant quantities.

A Marlin 60 was my tool of choice ( aka: what I had available) for them through junior high & high school and a bit beyond. Didn't hunt them very much for several years after high school, then hunted them mostly with a Ruger MKII for a couple years.

Sure glad I didn't have to fill the fridge with a .22 pistol - I'm not near as efficient with a .22 pistol as some.

These days I use a 12 or 20 with 4 or 5 shot. Used to use 6, but don't like picking pellets out with my teeth.

Vern Humphrey
July 26, 2014, 08:49 PM
Sure glad I didn't have to fill the fridge with a .22 pistol - I'm not near as efficient with a .22 pistol as some.
The key to squirrel hunting is to follow the dictum of the Spanish philosopher, Oretga y Gasset: "One does not hunt to kill, one kills in order to have hunted."

I don't HAVE to kill a squirrel. I like to take a little folding stool and sit out in the woods in a prime feeding area just before dawn and listen to the woods come awake. If I don't get a good shot with my pistol, it doesn't really matter. I'll get enough squirrels tomorrow or the next day.

And oddly enough, this relaxed approach works -- I kill more squirrels the more laid back I am.

MCgunner
July 26, 2014, 09:08 PM
When I was a kid, I couldn't sit still, but my grandpa would tell me to find a tree and lean against it and just watch and listen. As I became older, I saw his wisdom and as my metabolic rate slowed, it became my favorite form of hunting squirrel.

Now, if i hear 'em barking, squalling, or maybe runnin' around on the limbs, I'll stalk toward 'em. You can hunt squirrel with your ears. My ears haven't deteriorated, thankfully.

A pistol makes it tougher to find a rest when you stalk. I like to lay on my back if the ground isn't wet and clamp the gun in my hands between my knees if I can't get a rest on a tree or something. Shooting off hand is pretty tough and I always rest the gun or just not take the shot. A monopod is a handy tool, too.

Officers'Wife
July 26, 2014, 10:09 PM
When I was a kid, I couldn't sit still, but my grandpa would tell me to find a tree and lean against it and just watch and listen. As I became older, I saw his wisdom and as my metabolic rate slowed, it became my favorite form of hunting squirrel.

Now, if i hear 'em barking, squalling, or maybe runnin' around on the limbs, I'll stalk toward 'em. You can hunt squirrel with your ears. My ears haven't deteriorated, thankfully.

A pistol makes it tougher to find a rest when you stalk. I like to lay on my back if the ground isn't wet and clamp the gun in my hands between my knees if I can't get a rest on a tree or something. Shooting off hand is pretty tough and I always rest the gun or just not take the shot. A monopod is a handy tool, too.
My Gramps used to have a stock cane that he would clamp a section of broomstick to at a right angle to the cane and use the broomstick part for a pistol rest. Since he used the cane on uneven ground the system did a double duty. You might give that a try.

Sol
July 26, 2014, 10:41 PM
Never hunted or eaten a squirrel, but I would try it if presented in an appealing manner.

I wonder if you can get rabbit starvation from eating squirrel constantly?

Not that it's really a factor in this day and age though.

MCgunner
July 26, 2014, 11:14 PM
Never hunted or eaten a squirrel, but I would try it if presented in an appealing manner.

I wonder if you can get rabbit starvation from eating squirrel constantly?

Not that it's really a factor in this day and age though.

I'm not sure, but they're very lean like rabbits. There's enough wild pork around here that even if I didn't buy a T bone now and then, I won't have the problem. :D

Vern Humphrey
July 27, 2014, 10:09 AM
My Gramps used to have a stock cane that he would clamp a section of broomstick to at a right angle to the cane and use the broomstick part for a pistol rest. Since he used the cane on uneven ground the system did a double duty. You might give that a try.
If it weren't for all the paperwork and the $200 tax, I'd make a shoulder stock for my Colt Woodsman. That would be the ideal squirrel gun.

Art Eatman
July 27, 2014, 10:33 AM
My grandmother's squirrel gun was a Type 1 Cold Woodsman. It's surprisingly easy to shoot very accurately.

Officers'Wife
July 27, 2014, 12:31 PM
I love my Colt Woodsman but never really thought of hunting with it. But you are right, even without the stock the weapon would be accurate enough for the task at hand.

red rick
July 27, 2014, 07:31 PM
I cooked one today . It was the only one I got last season . I don't know if it was the weather or what , but I did not see many after deer season . It was below average temperatures and snow most of Jan. & Feb. .

We were having a cookout today so I thought I would try it on the grill . I soaked it overnight in teriyaki sauce .

It was looking like rain all day so we cooked inside . I cooked the squirrel on that electric burner , in a pan that you see on TV all the time . The one you can touch without getting burnt ( New Wave PIC , a commercial just came on while typing this ) .

I put a like bit of oil in the pan , set it on medium , put a lid on it and cooked it turning several times until done , about 30 mins. .

Everyone that tried it loved it . I thought it was some of the best squirrel that I ever had . Just wish that I had more .

Next time I am going to add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the teriyaki sauce . No need to add any salt , the teriyaki gives it the salt .

Officers'Wife
July 28, 2014, 01:04 PM
I cooked one today . It was the only one I got last season . I don't know if it was the weather or what , but I did not see many after deer season . It was below average temperatures and snow most of Jan. & Feb. .

We were having a cookout today so I thought I would try it on the grill . I soaked it overnight in teriyaki sauce .

It was looking like rain all day so we cooked inside . I cooked the squirrel on that electric burner , in a pan that you see on TV all the time . The one you can touch without getting burnt ( New Wave PIC , a commercial just came on while typing this ) .

I put a like bit of oil in the pan , set it on medium , put a lid on it and cooked it turning several times until done , about 30 mins. .

Everyone that tried it loved it . I thought it was some of the best squirrel that I ever had . Just wish that I had more .

Next time I am going to add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the teriyaki sauce . No need to add any salt , the teriyaki gives it the salt .
I usually just coat them in flour and fry them then use the grease to make milk gravy. Of course you have to have baking powder biscuits to put the gravy on. Along with either green beans or when in season sweet corn. The guys know better than to complain but they always seem to bring me more squirrels or rabbits...

Red Cent
July 29, 2014, 02:25 PM
In a time long ago, I used to roam the woods in Putnam County WV with Pop's 12 gauge 870. I have it in my safe. Mom (grandparents) would parboil the squirrel, head included, and make a delicious light gravy with it. I loved the brains.
I haven't pulled the trigger on an animal for over 20 years.

blarby
July 29, 2014, 03:15 PM
I'm up in mass I use a .25 pcp air rifle I soak Em in a water soy sauce and cider vinegar solution over nite then wrap Em in bacon and throw them in the oven pretty tasty tree rat !!

First one I get this year, I'm cooking half of it like that.

Thanks for the tip, that sounds amazing !

midland man
July 29, 2014, 08:20 PM
this is great guys in fact I gotta new ruger air magnum rifle 22cal and want to try it squirrel hunting this year. I just sighted the scope in and its dead on :)

T.R.
July 30, 2014, 05:46 PM
Same as you, I focus on my 16 gauge shotgun during the early season. My wife fixes a terrific pot pie made with squirrel meat.

TR

Sniper66
July 30, 2014, 11:53 PM
The problem I have with squirrel hunting is deciding which rifle to carry; I now have 5, two 22s, two 17 HMRs, and one 17 Mach 2. Each year I kill and eat 2-3 dozen. For me, squirrel is the best tasting wild game. I love it. I've hunted many different critters over my lifetime and at age 67 and having hunted for 60 of those years, squirrel hunting is still my favorite. Nothing is more enjoyable to me than a cool autumn morning in the woods. But, I'm strictly a rifle shooter as I love the challenge of head shooting a batch of squirrels.

midland man
July 30, 2014, 11:59 PM
sniper66 I wondered about the 17's how they fared with head shots and such but I do own a henry leveraction 22lr with a scope 4x32 and a savage lefthand 22mag and it has a scope on it but always used the leveraction and I like solid nose bullets 40gr and had success with that leveraction! :)

kemper
August 7, 2014, 05:35 PM
Heck Yes we still hunt and eat squirrels.
I'll be honest they are not my favorite table fare, but
I enjoy them a few times a year in a squirrel mulligan.
Fresh veggies, rice and squirrels, mmmm, mmmmm good

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone still hunt and eat squirrels??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!