9mm issue with Lee Hand Primer shell holder

PDA

gonoles_1980
July 19, 2014, 02:58 PM
I have about 25% of the cases get partially push up on the shell holder and I have to push back down to be able to pull out. The primer goes in fine, but the case gets pushed up enough that it's stuck until I push down.

Is this normal, should I write to Lee and see if I can get a replacement?

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm issue with Lee Hand Primer shell holder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
July 19, 2014, 03:09 PM
Get a dedicated 9MM SH, not one intended for both 9MM & .40.

thefish
July 20, 2014, 12:56 AM
Not sure, but I used the Lee hand primer for the first time tonight that a generous member sent to me in the PIF thread.

I primed 200 9mm with the dedicated Lee 9mm shellholder, and had a few "double primes" where I got a shell stuck because I'm still getting used to the system, but probably only 3% in 200.

The only time I couldn't get a shell to eject easily was when I didn't prime all the way and the primer was sticking out of the case after another primer had dropped in below.

gonoles_1980
July 20, 2014, 01:00 AM
Primed 100 9mm this morning, 2 popped out all the way, and 5 got stuck by being pushed up. The 25% is probably way high, I guess it's more like 7% or so.

twofifty
July 20, 2014, 01:45 AM
Gonoles, have you got the new Lee hand prime (square tray) or the previous model with the round tray ("Auto-Prime")?

Lee sells a shell holder set in a red plastic box of 11 holders:
- holder #19 is what's supplied and is supposed to work with 9mm & 40SW.
- holder #6 is not included and is dedicated to 9mm (so it's a tiny bit smaller than the #19).

Suggest you find a #6 shell holder.

EDIT made after post #6: sorry, I should have mentioned my shell holder kit is for the round Auto-Prime - these are the flat holders that will not clip onto a press' ram.
Guess they redesigned their shell holders for the new square tray hand prime tool.

gonoles_1980
July 20, 2014, 02:05 AM
I have the square tray. The kit holder card for a #6 shell holder says its for rifles, the 218 Bee,25/20 and 32/20. I checked lee for #6 and he shows the same thing as above. It's only $2.98, so I may go ahead and order one.

Potatohead
July 20, 2014, 06:11 AM
I have a 9mm SH for my press that I cant use. When I got started I bought a SH and it was one of those that cant be used on a press. If that's the one you need I'd be glad to send it to you. Not sure what number it is but I know where it is and can give it a look when the wife wakes up if you're interested. Ive been trying to give that thing away for 2 years. It was to cheap to send back to Amazon.

(My equipment is in our room)

gonoles_1980
July 20, 2014, 10:53 AM
TwoFifty the shell holder for my primer is the flat one. The one in my press is a different shell holder. Potatohead thanks for the offer, is it the flat shell holder that goes in the hand primer? (The one I'm talking about can't be used on the press). It looks like the one in the picture.

Potatohead
July 20, 2014, 01:38 PM
No, mine cant be used on the press, it's the flat one.

I looked at it, it's a #4.. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

Steve2md
July 20, 2014, 01:43 PM
Yep, use the #6 if the #19 is giving you problems. Another thought, look under the lip of the #19 and see if it had a machining SNAFU. I normally just use my #19, and never seem to have a problem, but it seems some have. YMMV

spitballer
July 21, 2014, 11:51 AM
I use the one with the square trays, also. I load .223 cases and occasionally they stick in the shellholder as you've described. I try to work with it by rotating the case and re-pressing, and so far I haven't run into anything serious. In fact, lately I've been rotating all of them, they end up very flat indeed, and fully seated. As brass is softer than the steel shellholder and only a percentage of cases do this (used cases, normally), I personally tend to believe the cases are more likely than the shellholder to be the source of this trouble.

Potatohead
July 21, 2014, 04:11 PM
If a piece of handgun brass "sticks" on the unit, I deprime it with the little keys that you unlock interior doors inside your house with. They look like a little circle, with a stick coming out of the circle.

If I get a piece of rifle brass stuck I deprime it with the unfurled top of a wire hanger. There's a few little tricks to know with these things, the RCBS one anyways.

I also just bring the primer up the tube about halfway, kind of stage it, making sure its facing the right way and another is not under it before I ram it home. Also, opening the gate to just let a few in at a time has helped me.

trigga
July 23, 2014, 02:07 AM
i don't have the hand prime tool but have the easy prime (prime on press) for both my lee classic turret and challenger press. saves me a step of handling the brass an extra time around plus i never really had any problem with it. works a lot better in my opinion. fairly cheap upgrade and works great.

spitballer
July 23, 2014, 11:31 AM
i don't have the hand prime tool but have the easy prime (prime on press) for both my lee classic turret and challenger press. saves me a step of handling the brass an extra time around plus i never really had any problem with it. works a lot better in my opinion. fairly cheap upgrade and works great.
I have the feeling that a press system like you describe is the way to go. It would make short work of seating and rotating, and it would give the operator a good feel for what's happening as the primer bottoms out in the pocket. I rarely load more than a dozen rounds at a time, but if I were a high-volume reloader I'd probably go with a system like you described.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm issue with Lee Hand Primer shell holder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!