Which Chain Store Do You Prefer for Gun Purchases?

PDA

Kynoch
July 25, 2014, 06:23 PM
If you could have any one of these national chain stores close to your own home, which would you choose for some of your firearms and accessories purchases? Please add your own favorite if it's not on the list.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Chain Store Do You Prefer for Gun Purchases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lxd55
July 25, 2014, 08:50 PM
Wow there is not enough options.

9. none of these above.

I prefer to use my money in my local stores, they stay in business and I do not have to drive 20 miles to stand in sportsmart.

Scooter22
July 25, 2014, 09:05 PM
Herb Philipsons Army/Navy. Then Dicks and Gander/Bass Pro if they have a very good sale. Herbs mainly has hunting/fishing/camping. Great small chain.

http://www.herbphilipsons.com/

WV_Gunner
July 25, 2014, 09:17 PM
If anything Cabella's due to their big selection. But my favorite gun store is a little place in St. Albans, I honestly can't remember the name but its the best store around.

Jason248
July 25, 2014, 09:17 PM
Fleet farm

zoom6zoom
July 25, 2014, 10:01 PM
I think the last time I bought a gun from a chain store was from Oklahoma Tire & Supply back in the early 80's. I prefer to deal with locals.

oneounceload
July 25, 2014, 10:04 PM
9. None of the above. All are either too overpriced or under stocked with what I look for

dogtown tom
July 25, 2014, 10:17 PM
Last two "chain store" gun purchases I made were at JC Penney in 1975 and Dillards in 1980.

zoom6zoom I think the last time I bought a gun from a chain store was from Oklahoma Tire & Supply back in the early 80's. I prefer to deal with locals.
OTASCO is what we called them in Arkansas. One was next door to the Safeway where I worked after school.....I bought many a box of .22's from that Otasco.

22-rimfire
July 25, 2014, 11:25 PM
I don't know. I have never been in a Cabela's store. Looking forward to the opening in a few weeks of the GA store (north of Atlanta off I-75). I enjoy Sportsman Warehouse and Bass Pro. I seldom shop at Dicks', Gander Mountain, or Academy. There is a new Bass Pro opening up in Chattanooga TN (under construction) which will be closer than Nashville or Sevierville TN stores. I guess my favorite is probably Sportsman Warehouse (SW) overall for firearm related purchases. Have purchased several guns at SW. I tend to spread around my firearm purchases. Never shopped for firearms at Walmart.

vamo
July 25, 2014, 11:26 PM
Cabelas for most things. They seem to have the best prices of the dedicated sporting goods stores. Walmart tends to have better prices, but a limited shooting section in comparison.

Steel Horse Rider
July 25, 2014, 11:28 PM
9. None of the above.

19-3Ben
July 25, 2014, 11:56 PM
I have very limited experience only having been in a Gander Mountain (the one in Middletown NY) and Cabelas in East Hartford CT.

Was never tempted to buy a gun in either store. So.... I guess I'll go with Cabelas because I do occasionally buy ammo or accessories there. But even then, i really prefer my LGS and probably spend $5-10 in my LGS for every dollar I spend in Cabelas.

Robert
July 26, 2014, 12:09 AM
OK, any more bickering and this is done.

Onward Allusion
July 26, 2014, 12:21 AM
I generally do not shop at brick and mortar shops for my guns. The occasions where I did buy from a store, I shop at smaller local stores and not big boxes. I don't like to shop at big box stores for equipment related to: shooting, cycling, exercise, & other hobbies. The prices may be better at big boxes, but the knowledge is not present. Probably 90% of my toys were purchase online.

Dain Bramage
July 26, 2014, 12:34 AM
Out of the chains listed, I have only bought guns from Cabela's. Their size and buying power offers some advantages.

When I was looking for a CZ452, toward the end of new availability for those rifles, Cabela's was able to search all their stores and supply chain. They found the rifle I was looking for, shipped it to my local store, where I was able to buy it. They didn't charge me any shipping or transfer fees for the effort.

Twiki357
July 26, 2014, 12:56 AM
I voted Cabela’s, but only because it’s the only one I’ve actually transacted any business with. A Dick’s opened a store about a mile from me about six months ago. Walked in, looked around and walked out. The only national chain I’ve ever bought a firearm from was Big 5 back in the 1960s.

mastergunner
July 26, 2014, 01:05 AM
Shop around for my reloading and other supplies but for gun purchases generally local shops or on the military base at Ft. Hood, Tx. their prices pretty well match the big chain stores but with no tax.

IBEWBULL
July 26, 2014, 01:08 AM
Cabela's since I have their Visa card.

The Kiber my wife has cost about $180 after using Cabela's points.

But I really don't like big chain stores.

KansasSasquatch
July 26, 2014, 02:43 AM
The only Academy I know of around here opened not too long ago. I haven't been there yet.

There's 2 Bass Pro Shops within a reasonable difference, the one I've been in didn't impress me much firearms wise, but they did stock a few brands of firearms that I typically don't see at Cabelas unless Cabelas has a used model they've taken in. Bass Pro's reloading section was a bit better than Cabelas in some aspects but not worth the further drive for me.

The local Dick's never carried anything I'd call good quality years ago when I would go in there, haven't been back in 7-8 years and don't think I ever will.

I don't go into a Wal Mart too often but the ones I do shop at from time to time don't carry firearms, just limited selections of ammo. Back when the Wal Marts close to me did carry firearms I received a Remington 870 20ga for my 13th birthday, that's been 16+ years. Some in my area still carry them, but they're the furthest away (30+ miles) and not worth the drive.

Gander, Sportman's Guide, and Sportman's Warehouse may as well not exist for me, don't think there's any within a 50+ mile radius.

I prefer Cabela's. It's close. Great selection on new and used. More calibers, brands, types, and quantities of ammo than any local gun shop around here has ever thought about carrying. Prices aren't always great but they're typically reasonable. I can always find the firearm I'm looking for at an LGS cheaper, but I might have to visit 5 shops to find the lower price, and with the price of gas these days....Their guys at the gun counter aren't always the most knowledgable, but I'm okay with that. When I want a new firearm I typically know exactly what I want, and if I dont, well Al Gore invented the Internet so I can find out what I want to know. :) I've never had a Cabela's employee treat with with anything less than a great deal of respect either. I can't say that about some of my local gun shops. There's one LGS that I've spent what I consider a good bit of money at, usually because they had a good price on a firearm. But every time I go in there these days the employees act like I'm burdening them. The couple local shops that always treat EVERY customer right, well they seem to run out of stock all the time.

Kynoch
July 26, 2014, 05:20 AM
The only Academy I know of around here opened not too long ago. I haven't been there yet.

There's 2 Bass Pro Shops within a reasonable difference, the one I've been in didn't impress me much firearms wise, but they did stock a few brands of firearms that I typically don't see at Cabelas unless Cabelas has a used model they've taken in. Bass Pro's reloading section was a bit better than Cabelas in some aspects but not worth the further drive for me.

The local Dick's never carried anything I'd call good quality years ago when I would go in there, haven't been back in 7-8 years and don't think I ever will.

I don't go into a Wal Mart too often but the ones I do shop at from time to time don't carry firearms, just limited selections of ammo. Back when the Wal Marts close to me did carry firearms I received a Remington 870 20ga for my 13th birthday, that's been 16+ years. Some in my area still carry them, but they're the furthest away (30+ miles) and not worth the drive.

Gander, Sportman's Guide, and Sportman's Warehouse may as well not exist for me, don't think there's any within a 50+ mile radius.

I prefer Cabela's. It's close. Great selection on new and used. More calibers, brands, types, and quantities of ammo than any local gun shop around here has ever thought about carrying. Prices aren't always great but they're typically reasonable. I can always find the firearm I'm looking for at an LGS cheaper, but I might have to visit 5 shops to find the lower price, and with the price of gas these days....Their guys at the gun counter aren't always the most knowledgable, but I'm okay with that. When I want a new firearm I typically know exactly what I want, and if I dont, well Al Gore invented the Internet so I can find out what I want to know. :) I've never had a Cabela's employee treat with with anything less than a great deal of respect either. I can't say that about some of my local gun shops. There's one LGS that I've spent what I consider a good bit of money at, usually because they had a good price on a firearm. But every time I go in there these days the employees act like I'm burdening them. The couple local shops that always treat EVERY customer right, well they seem to run out of stock all the time.

Great input, thanks!

Bobson
July 26, 2014, 05:42 AM
I frequent Cabela's far more than any other gun shop, and indeed I prefer big-box stores like Cabela's over small "mom and pop" retailers. Every small/local gun shop I've ever been in, the folks behind the counter made me feel like I was inconveniencing them by being there and asking questions. I'm not saying that was intentional - maybe it wasn't the case at all; but it is what I perceived. Either way, that's yet to happen at Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse.

Cabela's has always gotten my money when it comes to fishing stuff, ammo, gun accessories, etc. Sportsman's Warehouse has always gotten my money on gun purchases, knives, and everything related to archery. I've probably spent more, dollar for dollar, at Sportsman's Warehouse. Overall, I'd rather give Sportsman's Warehouse my money, but I'd rather wander around in Cabela's.

The Lone Haranguer
July 26, 2014, 01:48 PM
I'd go with Cabela's for the large selection. Some people like to complain about their prices, but this is overblown. They often have sales, will price-match local stores and periodically offer discounts when using the Cabela's Visa card. Sportsman's Warehouse is OK. Dick's and Wal-Mart don't sell handguns. Bass Pro is priced too high and won't allow you to try triggers - they all have locks on them. Gander Mountain is high-priced. Academy has good prices, but mediocre selection, and also lock their triggers. Only Dick's and Wal-Mart are local to me; Academy is 100 miles away in Knoxville and Bass Pro 70 miles in Sevierville. Bass Pro and Cabela's have stores announced but not yet built in Bristol, TN and Bristol, VA respectively.

fletcher
July 26, 2014, 02:02 PM
I've only bought from two on this list - Walmart and Cabela's. Experience at the first was typical Wal-Mart, experience at the latter was great. Staff at Cabela's were quick to offer assistance and get what I was looking for.

scramasax
July 26, 2014, 02:40 PM
I'm adding my vote for 9. none of the above.

Local GS and internet for the unusual things I am interested in.

Kynoch
July 26, 2014, 04:24 PM
I am amazed that one chain (Cabela's or not) has such a lead over the others. I also sort of expected Bass Pro to do better.

Very interesting input.

aarondhgraham
July 26, 2014, 04:45 PM
It's not so much a preference,,,
As it is proximity for me.

I bought from Wal Mart,,,
I buy most of my ammo there,,,
And I've purchased three rimfire rifles there.

It's where I do all of my grocery shopping,,,
And the prices aren't bad at all.

Aarond

TennJed
July 27, 2014, 12:23 AM
hands down sportsman's warehouse. very competitive prices and a good selection

patriot53
July 27, 2014, 12:30 AM
Wow there is not enough options.

9. none of these above.

I prefer to use my money in my local stores, they stay in business and I do not have to drive 20 miles to stand in sportsmart.
+1
Grab-a-Gun & Hinterland

burk
July 27, 2014, 04:01 AM
I voted Gander because they have more stores around me and I work there part time.:D

Having said that I tried to be a bit unbiased, but I've never been overly impressed by the Cabelas around me. It's just too hard of a store to get in and out of. And their help doesn't seem to be anything special. But I realize Gander Mountain is not without it's issues. I don't think any of them do as good a job on accessories as they should. And as far as selection Jays Sporting Goods in Claire MI is far better than any of them and an independently owned two store chain.

ljnowell
July 27, 2014, 05:26 AM
In my little town we have a Rural King store. They have stores in FL, IL, IN, KY, TN, OH, and PA. There may be others but I'm not sure.

They don't have a huge inventory, probably 30 different models if handguns, 20 different rifles, and some shotguns. They will order about anything. Their prices are almost identical to buds.

The only downside? No trade-ins, no used guns, no haggling. Prices are so low that there isn't much point in haggling anyway.

CajunBass
July 27, 2014, 05:50 AM
I've probably brought more guns from Gander Mountain, but that's only because they sell handguns which is what I'm really interested in. I've bought a few from Wal-Mart and never saw any reason not to.

I think of Bass Pro as a fishing tackle store. I used to buy a lot of tackle from them out of the catalog, but by the time they opened a store near here, I'd pretty much lost interest in fishing. I've never even looked at guns there really.

Shoot, there was a time when I didn't know there was any other "gun store" but Sears-Roebuck. I started buying guns from them back when I had to get Mama to call the order in on the phone, and wait a couple of days for the Sears truck to bring it to the house.

GEM
July 27, 2014, 08:49 PM
Academy is the only store around here that is mildly price competitive with the gun shows or on line. Maybe 20 bucks more on average.

Cabelas and Bass Pro are too expensive. Only time I bought a gun at Cabelas is when they had a sale and I had a good deal of points from other purchases.

That made it worthwhile.

Elkins45
July 27, 2014, 09:23 PM
I have purchased exactly one gun from Bass Pro, one from Gander Mountain, two (both 10/22's) from Wal-Mart and two from Sportsman's Warehouse. So I guess I can't vote because I'm tied.

In general I don't buy guns from chain stores. These were all either exceptional deals or purchases of necessity--the 10/22'a were gifts.

JTHunter
July 27, 2014, 11:58 PM
As none of those stores are near me (except W-M), my options are limited. To further aggravate the situation, neither of the two WalMarts nearest here sell firearms! They haven't sold guns in over 15 years! Their supplies are similarly "limited" :fire:

NMPOPS
July 28, 2014, 07:30 AM
Actually have never bought from any of those listed, but I do shop at Cabela's. I buy my guns at a local gun store or at J&G Sales.

Thunder496
July 28, 2014, 07:51 AM
I like Academy their everyday prices are much better than most of the other big box stores. Unfortunately I now live over 100 away from the closest one. The one time I have been to a Cabelas the prices where resonable and would shop there more often if there was one closer. I have found deals at Gander but in general their prices seem high. Bass Pro seems to be only good for their sales.

wally
July 28, 2014, 05:26 PM
Academy is the only store around here that is mildly price competitive with the gun shows or on line.

+1 but the selection varies a lot with different locations.

I voted for Sportsman's Guide because I get much of the ammo in calibers I don't reload from them as with their easy to find $10 off coupons their price+S&H is usually the best I can find when I need more. But I thought they were on-line only.

Kynoch
July 28, 2014, 05:33 PM
Academy is the only store around here that is mildly price competitive with the gun shows or on line. Maybe 20 bucks more on average.

Cabelas and Bass Pro are too expensive. Only time I bought a gun at Cabelas is when they had a sale and I had a good deal of points from other purchases.

That made it worthwhile.

You have no Wal*Mart locally?

Kynoch
July 28, 2014, 05:34 PM
Cabela's and Bass Pro sorta seem to be the Nordstrom of sporting goods stores. Amazed at the voting difference. Very, very interesting.

Steve CT
July 28, 2014, 10:10 PM
I have purchased two guns at the local Cabela's, one was a good deal, one was a great deal, and I still visit this store every couple of weeks, sometimes buying ammo or reloading supplies.

I'd like to see Bass Pro Shops, my son tells me that most of the time he visits one of their stores, reloading components seem to be readily available.

MICHAEL T
July 28, 2014, 11:39 PM
#9 Local mom and pop only No over priced chain stores.

Kynoch
July 29, 2014, 03:18 AM
I sure wish we had a Cabela's or Sportmen's Warehouse here locally. Does anyone here have a feel for which of these stores are typically the largest in terms of square footage, or are they all about the same?

wally
July 29, 2014, 10:34 AM
You have no Wal*Mart locally?

The Wal*Mart closest to me doesn't carry guns. They've not had any ammo in a caliber I want for about two years now.

Academy has had 9mm, 5.56 & 7.62x39 ammo at as good or better prices as I can find on line. They've also usually had .22lr ammo, but the two box limit and poor selection makes it not worth driving there for it.

Midwest
July 29, 2014, 07:21 PM
The only gun I ever bought from a chain store was a .22 lr rifle from K Mart a long, long, long time ago.

GBExpat
July 30, 2014, 09:48 AM
I cannot recall the last time that I bought either a gun or gun-related supplied in the Chain Store.

Madcap_Magician
July 30, 2014, 09:55 AM
I will throw in a vote for the more regional Scheel's, which appears to be a Midwestern thing. We are getting one in my home town, and I am super pumped, I hope they put our Gander out of business.

They have a huge selection of all kinds of sporting goods and fair prices on guns (Still elevated, guns in general seem to carry higher prices in Minnesota compared to many other states, but very fair for Minnesota).

Legionnaire
July 30, 2014, 02:02 PM
I voted Cabela's due to selection. But most of my purchases are on-line these days.

On An Island
July 31, 2014, 12:01 PM
Chain store? Academy. Selection is hit-or-miss, but their prices are reasonable, and the three guys at the gun counter in my local one are all enthusiasts and have a clue.

For most things I'm interested in though, my LGS or Bud's.

BigBL87
July 31, 2014, 12:15 PM
I'll chime with another none of the above. I haven't bought any of mine from chain stores, by if/when I do, it'll be from Rural King. Very fair prices and great selection for not being a specialty store.

GBExpat
July 31, 2014, 08:43 PM
Before this Thread, I did not realize that Sportsman's Guide also operates a bunch of Brick'n'Mortars.

9mmfan
August 1, 2014, 02:51 AM
I've bought from Academy because relatively close,for common guns, they had the best price. I've bought from Bass Pro because I was there or they had a variant I didn't feel like looking all over for. I've bought from Cabela's because they had a sale or a decent price on something used that was specifically what I was looking for.

Most of the time, I have bought from gun shows. In DFW, there are enough shows often enough to keep the dealers somewhat competitive.

RFMan
August 1, 2014, 10:18 AM
We don't have Academy, Cabela's (though one is coming), Sportsman's Guide,or Sportsmans Warehouse near here. So right there, I have not been able to have direct experience with 50% of them, though I have mail ordered supplies other than firearms from Cabela's and Sportsmans's Guide.

For firearms, I prefer my some of my LGS.

For supplies, it varies. For ammo, most of that comes either from Wal-Mart or mail order, though I sometimes found decent deals at stores before Dec 2012. For parts, tools, etc, it varies. The big chains are not very well stocked with tools and parts; they are like a convenience store with groceries - they have it if you really need it right then, but they are higher. I will admit that the chain store hours are better than the LGS. Thanks to the Internet, I mail order a lot of specialty items from a lot of different vendors.

HRnightmare
August 1, 2014, 10:28 AM
I once bought a gun from Wal Mart...A plain .22. The price was good but it took nearly 40 minutes for the cashier to process the paperwork, call it in and find someone to walk me out to my car, not letting me touch the box until I was at my car like I was a street punk that just got caught stealing and was being handed back to my parents.
Unless a gun is beyond dirt cheap I will not buy a gun from them again. I worked for WM in college and the bureacratic BS the store makes people jump through is astronomical! Also, there is rumors that WM made copies of their firearm transactions and provided them to the Feds. (before a S#$%storm arises, they are required to produce the books on inspection for review, they are NOT required to make them copies for the Feds to take with them).

I have never bought from Dicks or Gander Mt because the prices on guns are ridiculously high. I am also slightly spoiled because we have a decently sized locally owned gun shop in my area that offers deep discounts for military / LEO on most brands.

80Goat
August 1, 2014, 02:37 PM
None of those.

Last gun I bought from a chain store was from Woolco. They were going out of business and I bought a Mossberg pump 20 gauge and 12 gauge shotgun for $87 each.

Jeff H
August 1, 2014, 03:49 PM
To the people who voted for Dick's and Bass Pro: Are there just no other stores around your area?

I've shopped at both in a pinch, but never got good deals.

Jlr2267
August 1, 2014, 04:09 PM
To the people who voted for Dick's and Bass Pro: Are there just no other stores around your area?

The DSP in my area has excellent pricing during sales. Regular pricing is somewhere between Academy and Cabelas. I don't shop at DSP anymore but I bought several firearms there before they screwed over their modern sporting rifle customers a while back

oneounceload
August 1, 2014, 04:56 PM
None of those.

Last gun I bought from a chain store was from Woolco. They were going out of business and I bought a Mossberg pump 20 gauge and 12 gauge shotgun for $87 each.

Last NEW gun I bought from a chain like that was from JC Penney when they were getting out of the gun business - bought a new Browning Citori

Kynoch
August 2, 2014, 01:26 AM

Dick's has some fairly good prices here locally -- just gotta watch the sales. Unfortunately I have never been inside of a Bass Pro.

Kynoch
August 2, 2014, 01:39 AM
This has been a very interesting thread despite some peoples' best efforts to derail it and/or use it bring attention to themselves. These individuals seem to have a need to broadcast their belief that they are somehow special. I suppose that's just the nature of gun forums in general, aye?

Anyway I really didn't expect one chain (Cabela's or anyone else) to receive such a dominant number of votes. While I have never been inside of an Academy Sports store, I have heard of their excellent pricing from time to time so I expected their strong performance on this poll.

The takeaways for me is that there are truly some material differences between the different chains when it comes to purchasing firearms -- and a reinforced understanding that some people simply cannot refrain from trying to derail threads (you'd think they would just skip over that they cannot handle?) and/or refrain from trying to use threads to bring attention onto themselves so they can tell others just how special they believe themselves to be.

I appreciate everyone who voted. Thanks. :)

lxd55
August 2, 2014, 06:49 AM
This has been a very interesting thread despite some peoples' best efforts to derail it and/or use it bring attention to themselves. These individuals seem to have a need to broadcast their belief that they are somehow special. I suppose that's just the nature of gun forums in general, aye?

Anyway I really didn't expect one chain (Cabela's or anyone else) to receive such a dominant number of votes. While I have never been inside of an Academy Sports store, I have heard of their excellent pricing from time to time so I expected their strong performance on this poll.

The takeaways for me is that there are truly some material differences between the different chains when it comes to purchasing firearms -- and a reinforced understanding that some people simply cannot refrain from trying to derail threads (you'd think they would just skip over that they cannot handle?) and/or refrain from trying to use threads to bring attention onto themselves so they can tell others just how special they believe themselves to be.

#9 still got a few votes. 5 for sure.

oldillini
August 2, 2014, 08:03 AM
I too vote for None of Above.

Gander is the only big box store near us (Bass Pro is 2-1/2 hrs. Cabela's even farther.) I will walk through Gander but unless they are having a deep discount sale or I am desperate I do not buy there. Most of my shopping is LGS.

lxd55
August 2, 2014, 04:03 PM
if in the 25 mile south of Atlanta area, this is the place to go look.
http://www.edspublicsafety.com/

Pistoleropete
August 2, 2014, 05:09 PM
9. None of the above.
Big guys squeeze out the small locals, then you are at the mercy big guys and there go your options.

Kynoch
August 2, 2014, 06:54 PM
9. None of the above.
Big guys squeeze out the small locals, then you are at the mercy big guys and there go your options.
Around here it's more like the "small locals" commit suicide with poor customer service, FUD, hideously high prices and poor selection. Those small locals who run good businesses prosper.

Back to the actual subject of this thead, I hope we get a Cabela's one day...

maxxhavoc
August 2, 2014, 07:56 PM

I have bought 2 Remington 700's from Dicks. They seem to coordinate sales with Remington's rebates on a regular basis. That makes for some nice discounts.

Usually I buy from shows/pawn shops. The only well-stocked local gun stores here have gouged customers so hard over the past few years that I refuse to do business with them.

Kynoch
August 2, 2014, 11:15 PM
I have bought 2 Remington 700's from Dicks. They seem to coordinate sales with Remington's rebates on a regular basis. That makes for some nice discounts.

Usually I buy from shows/pawn shops. The only well-stocked local gun stores here have gouged customers so hard over the past few years that I refuse to do business with them.

Same here. As you said "the past few years" -- it's not as if I'm holding something again them that happened 10, 20+ years ago.

There are no pawn shops in the city that I live in. There was one for a very long time but it finally died about a decade ago. Their used guns (even during normal times) were typically priced as if they were new.

Lucky Derby
August 3, 2014, 08:01 AM
I don't buy from chain stores. I prefer local shops.
I will admit that sometime around 1990 or so I did buy a Marlin Camp Carbine 9mm at K Mart. Only chain store I ever bought a firearm from, and it only happened the one time.

burk
August 3, 2014, 09:48 PM

I find it interesting too. While I work PT at Gander I have no huge vested interest in the companies position. What surprises me is Gander has more stores than (I believe) all of the others combined. If I'm not mistakin they have a 160 stores and are opening more. I know that overall they sell the most firearms of any chain in the nation in dollars. While all of these chains are somewhat regional (Academy and Sportsmans have no prescence in MI fo instance), Ganders poor showing seems to indicate they have a lot of work to do in the service area. Is that the general take here?

JTHunter
August 3, 2014, 10:03 PM
When I made my previous post, I had not answered the poll. Two days ago, I got some interesting info from the asst. manager of one of the two nearby Walmarts. :scrutiny: He stated that WM has realized how much they are missing out on sales of firearms in this area and they are planning to stock firearms again for the first time in at least 10 years. :eek: :)

They hope to have them back in stock by late August.

Delford
August 4, 2014, 10:25 PM
We have all the stores in this area. Gander and Dick's are very high, Bass Pro is high, and Cabelas is too far away. Academy is reasonable but the LGSs are competitive with Bud's. Hyatt Gun Store is based here and their on-line prices are very reasonable. I can buy on-line and pick up in store. Doing price comparisons is the best way to get the best price. I got my Beretta Neos in the next county for a great price. I got my Remmy 870 used (but possibly never fired) for a good price at Hyatt. Walmart's ammo prices are only beaten by Dick's sales and they have a Marlin 336 for less than $300, although I don't plan to buy it. I only plan on 1or 2 more purchases of pistols and my M-N 1891 (1929 Izshevsk hex) is my final long gun acquisition. Walmart only has one store out of seven in the area that sells long- and shotguns.

rromeo
August 5, 2014, 08:31 AM
Academy Sports + Outdoors Never been there, I don't know where the nearest is
Bass Pro Shops It's okay, but expensive There's one about 2 hours
Cabela's I like the used gun racks. There's one 3 hours away
Dick's Sporting Goods Okay if they have a sale. 20 minutes away
Gander Mountain A huge ripoff. Hour away
The Sportsman's Guide No experience. Don't know where they are
Sportsmans Warehouse They have decent prices. 45 minutes away
Wal*Mart I buy some ammo there, but no guns. 5 minutes

I buy most of guns at a local shop, but my tastes tend toward older guns, so most of those chain stores don't have what I want. I buy most of my reloading supplies from 1 of 3 local shops, because I'm not driving 45 minutes to save $4. If my travels take me near one of the big stores, I will usually stop in.

MillCreek
August 5, 2014, 08:40 AM
I would have to vote for Cabela's, since none of the other options are close to my area. We have no Academy, Gander, Bass, Sportsman's or other chain stores here north of Seattle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Chain Store Do You Prefer for Gun Purchases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!