Scope for my Mossberg 590A1?

PDA

Tallbald
July 28, 2014, 12:08 AM
Love my new 590A1 with its sewer pipe barrel, parkerized finish and like me, all around good looks (LOL). Yes, it has the ghost ring sights that are great and dead on, but I love to send slugs downrange and knock big stuff over for fun. I'd like to try scoping it with a low power (3X to 4X ?) optic to see what sort of fun I can have at the 50 yard line. I never bought a "shotgun scope" and don't really know what I ned to look for. Can I use an old El Paso Weaver K4 I have or would my gun likely shake it loose?
Suggestions sure appreciated. Thanks. Don

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope for my Mossberg 590A1?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RMc
July 28, 2014, 01:56 AM
The first concern is finding a scope base / mount system to fit your 590.

Charlie Horse
July 28, 2014, 02:32 AM
Such things do exist...
http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-500-and-590-scope-mount.html

I wish I had some insight on the scope you're talking about.

336A
July 28, 2014, 05:14 AM
Look for Weaver base and medium hight rings as Low rings will put the scope to close over the safety. I use the above along with a Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro 1.5-4.5x20mm scope on my Mossberg 500. As a young kid just getting into deer hunting I got away with a cheap Bushnell Sportview 3-9x32 on my rifled barrel with no problems. I still have that scope to believe it or not.

RMc
July 28, 2014, 01:09 PM
Such things do exist...
http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-500-and-590-scope-mount.html

I wish I had some insight on the scope you're talking about.
The 590 may need to be drilled and tapped.
The scope would have to be a long eye relief model or mounted very high or the receiver sight would have to be removed.

Tallbald
July 29, 2014, 12:39 AM
Mine is factory drilled and tapped. That's a big plus to me, and one reason I'm even considering optics for it. The Weaver is a 1970's vintage "Made in El Paso, TX" garden variety fixed power scope I bough for $40 at a pawn shop near Ft Knox, KY back in '79. I don't know though if the vintage optics are up to 12 gauge recoil. Back then I don't remember anyone even discussing scoping a shotgun. There WERE no turkeys in Kentucky as far as I remember, at least in South Central KY. Don

Jorg Nysgerrig
July 29, 2014, 02:14 AM
I would be more concerned about eye-relief than the scope. The 870 rifled barrel and scope combo I bought didn't have nearly enough eye-relief (or I simply don't know how to shoot a shotgun with a scope) and it kissed me a couple of times before I bought a fairly inexpensive Bushnell shotgun scope with 6 inches of eye-relief. That worked like a champ.

Bobson
July 29, 2014, 11:41 PM
I keep visiting this thread and can't help wonder, why are you looking for a 3-4x power scope for shooting at 50 yards? I think a red dot would serve you very well at that range, depending on the reticle; and it would be equally well served (if unnecessary) in the HD or whatever role a person might typically employ a 590A1 for.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you'd have a hard time beating an Aimpoint H-1 with 2MOA dot. I sincerely doubt (though don't know firsthand - maybe someone else can chime in) that it would be damaged by the recoil from a 12 gauge. These things are built like tanks. At 50 yards, any gun capable of it should be able to maintain 1 MOA at 50 yards with this optic. I would think that would be more than precise enough out of a 590A1.

Also, eye relief also would no longer matter, ofc. For your stated application, I see no downside except the cost - which really isn't too extreme for an optic of such quality. It can be had for under $500, or just under $600 with a matching tank of a mounting system.

PabloJ
July 29, 2014, 11:53 PM
You can use inexpensive weaver bases and rings. Top choice for scope would be 1" Nikon Monarch Safari. One guy that puts together dangerous game bolt rifles in cals .400 or above (those generating >100flbs of recoil force) said they hold up better than 2.5 or 3x fixed power Leupolds. I had one of those scopes on my Remington .350 carbine and the only minor complaint was ends of posts were not pointed other than that it was fine piece of glass for very reasonable price. It was basically more durable Leupold for $100 less.

Tallbald
August 9, 2014, 12:35 PM
Lots of good information here and I thank everyone. Basically my 590A1 is a HD gun, but just to mix things up for fun, I take it to the range to do some slug work. My eyes need the extra magnification. Don

rcmodel
August 9, 2014, 12:48 PM
IMO: Your old K4 Weaver will very likely take all the recoil you can stand.

People put them on the hardest kicking rifles there were back in the day.

rc

rodregier
August 9, 2014, 02:08 PM
Aimpoint H1 will stand up to 12ga recoil just fine. I have experience with one on a Chinese 870 clone. Reports by others on such usage are also favourable...

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope for my Mossberg 590A1?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!