38 special problem

PDA

TTIGER
July 28, 2014, 05:22 AM
I am brand new to this forum. Started reloading a year ago and powders got
scarce so using a few differnet ones. I started reloading 38sp with bullseye
worked great ran out and found some #5 and my security six with six inch barrel shooting 6 inches high every time. Anyone got any ideas about this problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "38 special problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TTIGER
July 28, 2014, 05:23 AM
I guess I should add that I switched from flat point to 158 swc plated berry bullets. They group well just all like 4 inches high.

kcofohio
July 28, 2014, 06:34 AM
The flat points, were they plated also? Are you using a light crimp with the plated bullets?

Field Tester
July 28, 2014, 06:36 AM
What distance are you shooting at?

tightgroup tiger
July 28, 2014, 07:36 AM
Do you have more recoil than you had with the bullseye and what grain were the original bullets you were shooting? If they were 125gr or at least lighter than the 158gr bullets your using now the heavier bullets will shoot to a higher point of aim than the lighter bullets, if that is the case.

GP100man
July 28, 2014, 08:48 AM
We need particulars on both loads weight of bullet/powder & primers

Usually heavier/slower loads shoot higher because of more barrel time .

evan price
July 28, 2014, 10:03 AM
Bullseye is a rather fast powder and#5 is a good bit slower more like unique. Imho this is your root cause.

moxie
July 28, 2014, 04:10 PM
The Security Six has an adjustable rear sight.

Turning the elevation adjustment screw clockwise will lower the point of impact.

That might help.

Sunray
July 28, 2014, 04:28 PM
As mentioned, what's the load? Does your revolver shoot high with all ammo?
Mind you, like Moxie says, it's got adjustable sights.

41 Mag
July 28, 2014, 07:20 PM
Normally when I am working up a load, unless I absolutely have to I do not adjust my sights until I find what I want.

I will put up a target and fire a couple or so rounds to see where they impact, then I will put up a stick on dot or draw one on the target to use as an aiming point and go on with my work up. Once I find the load that shoots the best and IF I like it, I will then adjust the sights for that particular load.

That said, for something like my 45 Colt where I am shooting both a 255gr load and a 270-280gr load, which both impact different places, I will adjust the heavier load to be point of aim at 50yds. This, at least in my case, gives me two different options which will both hit within about 2" of each other at 25yds.

For the hunting I use these for this is plenty good as most shots are on hogs moving through the grass or brush.

ArchAngelCD
July 28, 2014, 07:59 PM
Different weight bullets will have a different impact point.

Going from a super fast powder like Bullseye to a fairly slow powder like AA#5 will also change your point of impact.

Combine the both and I'm not surprised your POI is 4" off from the 158gr Bullseye load.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal so like said above, adjust the sights and it's all good...

Please post the exact loads you are building, everything from bullet weight and powder charges.

Ky Larry
July 29, 2014, 12:44 PM
If you change the components in a cake recipe, you'll change the taste of the cake. All loads don't shoot the same. Think of your reloads as a group or collection of variables. If you change any variable, i.e. primer,powder, c.o.a.l; etc, you change the collection of variables that make up where the bullet strikes the target.

If you enjoyed reading about "38 special problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!