Load request

PDA

FHBrumb
August 4, 2014, 03:28 PM
45 Colt +P. Ruger load...
Hornady 255gr Flex tip.
Winchester 296.

Pretty much a Ruger only load with the LeverEvolution bullet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Load request" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Reloadron
August 4, 2014, 04:15 PM
You have me confused. You mention a Hornady 255 grain Flex Tip bullet (FTX). These are the line of Hornady FTX bullets (http://www.hornady.com/store/FTX). I don't see a 255 grain FTX bullet in there.

The only 255 grain Hornady bullet I see is their 255 grain FP Cowboy lead bullet.

Then you mention:

Pretty much a Ruger only load with the LeverEvolution bullet.

These are Hornady's LEVERevolution cartridges (http://www.hornady.com/store/leverevolution), they are as can be seen loaded ammunition and there is no 255 grain .454 bullet flavor in the lot. The only Hornady 255 grain bullet is the 45 Caliber (454 Diameter) 255 Grain Lead Flat Nose I mentioned earlier and Hornady does not recommend that bullet for the Ruger or TC guns. All of the Ruger and TC loadings are the hotter loadings and they do not call out the use of lead cast bullets.

Anyway, I am not sure what you want or are looking for.

Ron

FHBrumb
August 4, 2014, 05:17 PM
Sorry. 225gr. LeverEvolution load but +P.

Reloadron
August 4, 2014, 07:32 PM
Sorry. 225gr. LeverEvolution load but +P.
OK first I suggest you give this article a read (http://www.chuckhawks.com/high-pressure45.htm) by Chuck Hawks. While I do not always agree with him the article is a good read.

The popular bullets (Hornady) used in the hotter loads for Ruger and TC guns are the 240 grain, 250 grain and 300 grain XTP bullets. All in the XTP JHP design.

Hornady does have load data for the 225 grain FTX bullets in 45 Colt but doesn't use them in the Ruger loadings. They also do not use Winchester 296 but slightly faster powders. Something else to note with this bullet is the case trim lengths. Typical case trim length for 45 Colt is right around 1.275". That comes in about .010" below the maximum SAAMI specification of 1.285". The minimum case length is about 1.265".

However, when loading the 225 grain Hornady FTX bullets Hornady makes it clear that a trim length of 1.215" should be used because the the 225 grain FTX bullet has a long ogive. So keep that in mind, it's important. Suitable Winchester powders are more along the lines of Winchester 231 rather than the slower 296. I have used Winchester 296 to load countless 44 Magnum loads using lighter bullets than 225 grain. I am sure there is load data out there for 45 Colt with a 225 grain bullet. How hard or fast you can push it beats the hell out of me.

Also give this a read (http://www.gunsandammo.com/reloading/reloading-the-45-colt/). Since you need to really case trim he gets into that plus the fact you will want to crimp. Make sure your dies can crimp the shorter cases.

Hornady’s new 225-grain FTX bullet was developed for the many .45 Colt lever-action rifles with tubular magazines, but it lends itself nicely to revolvers with increased velocities and flatter trajectories.

A minor modification in loading technique is required for the FTX bullet. Overall maximum cartridge length for the .45 Colt is 1.600 inches, but the FTX bullet has a long ogive, so cases have to be shortened to 1.215 inches to stay within this length. Trimming can be easily accomplished with a manual case trimmer, but being basically lazy, I used Hornady’s new Lock-N-Load power case trimmer to whittle cases down to size.

You may or may not be able to securely roll-crimp the FTX bullet in these shortened cases with your regular seating die, but not to worry. The Hornady Series II .45-caliber seating die (part no. 044151) works great for the FTX loads, as does the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die (part no. 90865).

Beyond this I haven't a clue what to suggest or tell you other than good luck.

Ron

Jaymo
August 6, 2014, 11:41 AM
As much as I love my .45 Colt Ruger BH, I don't see myself loading or shooting many +P loads in it.
With the 4.625" barrel, it rolls up a good bit under recoil, with factory ammo.
Honestly, a 250 grain Keith at 1,000 FPS is all I need it to be.

FHBrumb
August 6, 2014, 12:09 PM
I'm looking for a longer range 45LC round to experiment with. The Hornady LeEv rounds seem to fly pretty straight in 44 and 357.

If you enjoyed reading about "Load request" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!