Trail Cameras

August 6, 2014, 08:38 AM
Don't really see a sub forum for this topic, so I figure it might fit in here.
I know zip about these things. Lot of friends have them, every one different.
Reviews and catalogs are total information overload for someone as clueless as me.
After a lot of wasted time searching I came up with a Moultrie M880.
So now I'm looking for help here.
A good choice for a first pick?, yes/no, some better choice? :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Trail Cameras" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
August 6, 2014, 09:56 AM
I just bought the Moultrie M990-i, which seems to be about the same thing, but haven't put it through its paces yet in the field. It's done an impressive job, however, in the wilds of my backyard capturing images of my dog taking personal relief and people who happen to wander by. I'll set it up in the woods when deer season approaches, so in the meantime I'm using it as a security camera of sorts when I go away for a few days.

So far, I like it!

August 6, 2014, 10:32 AM
Hmm, that's another model I haven't seen.
Maybe after a while some guys will pop in who have used the cameras more with some comments.

August 6, 2014, 02:08 PM
That one does a whole bunch more than the Moultrie that I have, and I'm very very happy with the Moultry that I have.

August 6, 2014, 02:21 PM
Which one? The 880 seems to be listed as a good choice a lot of different places.

August 6, 2014, 03:39 PM
I have a few Stealthcam units. Some 7M, some 8M. These take good pics and vids. Only complaint is batteries. They use eight(8) AA that only last about a month in weather above freezing. When it get cold batteries last about two(2) weeks.

August 6, 2014, 03:41 PM
I have a couple of M80's and another brand (I think it's a tasco). Of the M80's one is still going after 3 years, the other has been dead a year.

August 6, 2014, 03:50 PM
I figure batteries will be a PIA.
8 cells is 12 volt, I bet I can get a motorcycle battery or such jumpered in if I want.

August 7, 2014, 08:59 AM
Well, this was kind of a bust. I thought choosing a trail camera would be a hot topic with lots input about what to look for.
Moultrie has been mentioned, maybe I'll go for one of their top end models and hope it's a good choice.

August 7, 2014, 11:13 AM
I have had several of the Bushnell Trophy cams and like them a lot. Battery life is about forever... thousands of pictures and videos. There are a few others that are similar. Look for the small form factor ones that advertise long battery life.

August 7, 2014, 12:51 PM
battery life depends on season... summer is warm and the batteries last months, winter is freezing and the batteries last days.

August 8, 2014, 08:46 AM
That's pretty much common knowledge.
Lithium batteries are the best for cold temps.
Not everything can use them and they're spendy.
Guess there's supposed to be some direct AA replacements around, but I don't think I've ever seen them for sale around here.

August 8, 2014, 10:07 AM
I usually have between 10/12 cameras out in the woods year around. I have been using the Wildgame cameras, but am now looking for a different brand myself. My cameras have been starting to give it up bigtime and the company has been squirming out of responsibility for them. I have some that haven't made it much over a month, and the company is saying it's the SD cards fault and everything else they can find.
I guess maybe I'll try some of the Bushnell models and see how they hold up. Battery life has never been a big problem for me as 4 batteries seem to go for a few months at a time.

August 8, 2014, 10:20 AM
Glad Bushnell was brought up. Buddy told me he has one and it really works well.
I also noticed one of the top end models had a socket for plugging in an external 12 volt supply.
If I decide to have one going this winter when it's 30 or more below it'd be handy to be able to connect a bigger battery to keep it running.

Double Naught Spy
August 8, 2014, 10:28 AM
Hey JohnM, these sites can be very helpful... (has both reviews and a good forum where people talk about what they own).

August 8, 2014, 10:47 AM
Thanks, some good stuff in those 2 places.

August 8, 2014, 11:45 AM
I have had an 880 for a little over a year now and have been generally happy with it. Batteries in cold weather (down to zero here) last 4 to 6 weeks. In warm weather they last 3 to 4 months. I have only used it in still picture mode. The sensor has a wider spread than the camera so sometimes I get pictures with no activity or only a head or some ears in it. It is sensitive as I routinely get pics of rabbits at night and birds during the day. A blowing branch or falling snow will also trigger it at times.
If you set the security code, enter it before changing cards as you won't be able to access pics on the new card when you pull it. The card isn't ruined and will record fine once it is inserted after the code has been entered.
I've been spoiled by the color day time pics and wish the night pics were color also. I still enjoy and find useful the night pics. I just wish they were color also.
I suggest you mount it 8' to 10' up as the deer notice the infrared flash. Does and young don't mind it but it seems to bother the bucks if it is at their eye level.
I've had a 550 and an 800 also. They didn't hold well, failing after 4 months or so. I suspect, but am not certain, that moist air got inside and internal condensation killed them. So far, the 880 hasn't had that problem.
I may buy another 880 but am open to another brand if it will hold up.
Hope this helps.

August 8, 2014, 11:58 AM
I've been using a Bushnell X8 for the past year and a half. Batteries last for a good 12 mo and it takes real nice IR photos at night. I've been very pleased with it.

August 8, 2014, 12:13 PM
There's a model sold under the Browning name called Spec Ops (:rolleyes:) listed in the sites sent by DNS that has very good reviews.
Sounds like that one might be my choice, after some more reading.

August 8, 2014, 03:03 PM
I'm not real sure why people get goofy over high tech stuff on game cameras. If the camera works, it works. I have a 50 dollar Tasco branded camera from Wallyworld I like just fine. The one thing it doesn't do that my Remington branded camera did is indicate the number of pics on the card when you check it. Other than that, I like it better. It uses cheaper AAs, is a lot more compact, came with straps and a buckle for around the tree, and the IR flash works better than that Remington all for half the price. 3 MP is fine. I'm not sure why I need 30 MP, 10x optical zoom, movie function, etc, etc, for a friggin' game camera. :rolleyes:

If I had an unlimited hunting budget, lets say I was a multi billionaire, a Donald Trump type, I read about a camera that you could access via the net. It has its own cell link and you can download pix onto your camera from half way around the world. Be cool to set up a 2500 dollar fancy feeder on my place 100 miles from here, set up that camera, have solar panels charging the batteries in both. Go down there and dump 1000 lbs of corn and you're good for 6 months, never need to drive to check it. :D But, hell, it'd probably all get ripped off by the Seadrift rednecks down there. :rolleyes: I've had two tripod stands stolen down there and they weren't worth, but a little over a C note. Of course, if I was Donald Trump rich, I could afford to hire armed guards on my 100,000 acre ranch or some such.

Alas, my feeder/camera is 200 yards into the woods back of my house.

August 8, 2014, 03:16 PM
Well I just ordered the Browning camera, it had more to offer I thought than either the Moultrie or Bushnell I was considering.
Cheapo Wally World, no; but 180 bucks total isn't bad.

August 8, 2014, 04:02 PM
I have had many trail cameras over the years. I remember not too long ago when I had to go to the camera and replace the 35mm film, take it somewhere for it to be developed and then wait 2-3 days to see the same coons on 24 straight frames.
I had a gift card from Cabela's and actually ordered a camera today. A stealth cam P12 or something like that that cost about $99. I have a Wildgame Innovations camera set up in my back yard so I can get pics of all the spotted fawns. I don't remember the model but it works adequately and cost -$100.
I think the main difference in the $100 camera and the $350 camera is probably trigger speed as the more expensive ones tend to trigger much faster than the cheaper ones. I imagine that this means you get a few more shots on deer just moving through? I have been happy with all the cameras I have had over the past few years. The WGI one in my yard has been on the same 4 C batteries since last Fall and is still looking good. The attached picture was taken last night in my yard. The fawns are spotted which is difficult to tell in the night photos. That detail isn't important for MY purposes because I really just want to see what's around rather than figure a B and C score.
If I owned a high dollar hunt club and needed super high quality photos of the deer people were paying to hunt then I would probably buy the higher dollar ones. Since I don't need that I am fine with the 10 or so "cheap" cameras I have. One thing I do prefer is the models that use AA batteries. I use AA quite a bit whereas C and D batteries aren't used in much around my house. I also have the advantage of being able to check my cameras daily if I want. Battery life on all of my current cameras is several months at least but is somewhat lower in the winter months.

August 9, 2014, 07:39 AM
This question was posed by someone who never had one. Like all things you get what you pay for, I figured around $200 for one would be a good place to start and see no reason I would ever want more than one.
I left film reluctantly a number of years ago and use a couple fairly high end DSLRs. I can appreciate what a high mp sensor can do for image quality. I had to rely on various reviews for differences in trigger speed, flash types, etc.
The shear number and variety of the things on the market now made a choice tough.
I just want something that will get decent photos around the place, hopefully this thread will help others looking for that first trail camera to play with.

August 10, 2014, 12:47 PM
I have three Uway UM562 cameras, and I like them a lot. I love the cellular feature.

Float Pilot
August 10, 2014, 08:35 PM
I too am looking for a couple or three affordable trail cameras.

My house sits on 5 acres and somebody has been walking through the woods and has been trying to get into my shop and storage buildings.

I need something that will work at night with an invisible flash. Plus I need to to let me have a clear photo of the target at least 60 feet away.

August 10, 2014, 08:48 PM
A buddy of mine bought a Bushnell 'Black LED' camera similar to this.|/pc/104791680/c/104752080/sc/104243580/i/103867380/Bushnell174-Trophy-Cam-HD-8MP-Trail-Camera-with-Black-LEDs/1828691.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftrail-cameras-accessories%2Fbushnell%2F_%2FN-1100074%2B1000002937%2FNe-1000002937%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd1764219%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1764219%3Bcat103867380

Not sure thats the exact same model he got?
But he has had outstanding good luck with it getting deer, coyote, and other photos he never got on two previous white light flash trail cameras.

August 10, 2014, 08:57 PM
I ought to have this Browning model Tuesday.
I'll try it out in the couple acres fenced off around the house. Always 8 or 10 whitetails messing around all the time.
That'll give me a chance to find out just what it'll do.

August 10, 2014, 08:57 PM
As for the 60 feet, float pilot, get yourself some good, free photo software like Google Picasa with which you can enhance the lighting. Even with my cheap Tasco, which only had IR flash, I can see 60 feet and further with it, but I have to enhance the lighting. Picasa also has this button called "I'm Feeling Lucky" you can push and it auto enhances contrast, really cool feature. :D

With this software, get yourself a camera or cameras that will flash in IR and you're in business. Most cameras will do that. You might want to spend enough to get quality shots with IR for better facial recognition. Long as I can see what the animal is, I'm good, but for what you want, you need to identify suspects. :D Anyway, this software really helps and it's a free download. You can crop with it, too, same as digital zoom. You can also digital zoom with it temporary to check out what the crop will look like.

August 11, 2014, 06:41 AM
You want to be careful about down loading Picasa.
It used to be good, but it seems like now all the download does is load your computer with malicious garbage. Not sure what happened to it.

August 11, 2014, 08:21 AM
One thing I like, but don't have on all my cameras, is the ability of the camera to take and store photos without an SD card installed. I can't count the number of times I have gotten to the camera and didn't have an extra SD card. I know there are reader/viewers that you can buy but I would probably forget it to. Since I tend to just buy a camera when I see one that jumps out at me I have about 7 different kinds so a couple have this feature and it works well for me.

August 11, 2014, 10:59 AM
You want to be careful about down loading Picasa.
It used to be good, but it seems like now all the download does is load your computer with malicious garbage. Not sure what happened to it.

My last Picasa download was about 3 years ago. Thanks for that info.

August 11, 2014, 10:15 PM
I have had game cameras for several years. I have used stealth cams, cabelas,wild game black out and Moultrie. Once I purchased bushels trophy cams I have replaced all, they take good picture day and night. I only buy them on sale never gave more than a hundred for any. Best thing with lithium batteries I only replace batteries at most once a year if they take tens of thousands of pictures. I hunt in panhandle of Texas so tempertures range from 105 or so in summer to single didgets in winter. We have 10 cameras out year round, we feed year round and hunt hogs year round. I have 2 original Bushnel cameras that are close to 5 yrs old still taking pictures. Most other brands 3-4 yrs is all that lasted for me. I have 2 cameras that are set to video, nothing like watching and listening when you get harvest pigs. Good luck and hunting to all..

August 13, 2014, 11:42 AM
One thing I do is carry a card reader that I plug into my android phone. I then copy all pictures to my phone and erase the card. Works great.

August 13, 2014, 11:50 AM
Since I don't have and have no use for any of the cell phones all that electronic gimicktry doesn't interest me a bit.
I just got that Browning camera yesterday.
First impressions, I an not impressed.
Pictures in the daytime are good, the ones at night are poor so far.
The camera seems to react fast and gets a photo as soon as something gets in the FOV and the so called rapid fire thing it has gets lots of good shots in daylight. The quirky way the things are set up I find a total pain. Trying to figure out just what is going to be in a photo is a bad joke, aiming is impossible, just a wild guess.

August 13, 2014, 01:32 PM
We've been using a Bushnell for the last 4-5 years. Works OK, many great pics and batteries lasts for over a year, and I usually leave it out until January or February so it sees some cold weather. My only gripe is that the infrared flash is visible. Most deer don't notice or get curious except for the big bucks. Three pictures, one looking, one spinning, and a tail in the distance. So they do see it.

So I just bought a new camera yesterday, a cabelas black infrared 8 pix. Two young guys at the display talked to me for a while about their experiences and that led me to it. I think it was on sale, Cabelas has a 10% off card (which ends today) and there was a $30 rebate, so total cost was $150 + tax. Nothing to report yet.

August 15, 2014, 08:50 AM
I'm beginning to get a feel for this trail cam I got.
I've had a few people tell me that some of the Bushnell cameras are better than the Browning ones. I'd be willing to bet the differences are minor.
Mine is set up on the edge of a little meadow right now where there is uaually a lot of various game activity, I'll probably go back down there in a couple days and see what it got if anything.
One thing I have noticed is that the viewing screen, about 2" square on mine, is pretty worthless at least to me, I can't make out much of anything on it unless it happened to be really close.

August 15, 2014, 11:04 AM
I'm cheap so I limit my cams to <$100. I just need it to take pictures. The Wild Game Innovations cams have been fine for us. We've had a number of them going on 3 seasons now with no issues. I just can't see hanging a$300 cam in the woods in the rain and snow for someone to steal. We own the property, but get trespassers periodically...... Hate thieves..

August 16, 2014, 02:39 PM
From the Browning camera.

August 16, 2014, 03:28 PM
Looks pretty darn good to me!

Wonder where that deer was going in such a hurry??

August 16, 2014, 04:06 PM
We've been trying to figure that out. Maybe it caught my scent from putting up the camera. There were dozens of does and fawns, there's a couple well used game trails going through there.
The B&W IR photos were pretty poor I thought.

August 17, 2014, 09:26 AM
I like having a camera set up on a scrape line and taking videos. Any time there is a buck more than a year old you will see him for about 2 seconds as they apparently hear the camera running or something that spooks them. Meanwhile 6 pointers, spikes and fawns work the scrape seemingly oblivious to the camera. And people wonder why they don't see mature bucks! The same is true of the still pics as the mature bucks don't hang around.

August 17, 2014, 10:21 AM
A couple of pics from my recently purchased Browning ( They are changing names on their cameras so fast it is hard to keep up with what is what with them. Seems to work fine. Yea, the names are corny.

I have no experience with any others, but if I get another one, and I would like to, it will likely be a much cheaper one. Just something to show what is there. I bought the Browning on supposed picture quality, because my wife only cares about the pics, not hunting.

These pics were taken on the 10 MP setting. You can set it for various Megapixel settings. 10 is the highest.

August 17, 2014, 10:31 AM
Your night time photos are way better than anything I've seen from mine so far.
I'm not sure if I've tried that at the high 10MP setting yet.
Might leave it going in the yard again tonight and how it does.
Got it running in the highest video mode right now, always a bunch of white tails messing around on the west side of the wind break, so I should get something before long.

August 17, 2014, 10:33 AM
I used the Wildgame for years, but not buying anymore of them because of all the duds I have been getting. I was getting lots of SD cards that the computer couldn't read, so I started Reformatting them every time they were stuck in the computer and it has helped. If you get any "no image" messages from your camera or computer, you might try this.

August 17, 2014, 12:27 PM
Regarding the quality of night pictures, from what I have read on the website, night picture quality of the black flash cameras like the Browning Spec Ops is less than the red glow infrared night pictures from cameras like the Browning Strike Force. This is just my understanding from my reading. For that reason, I'm about to buy a Browning Strike Force. I'll mount it about 10 above the ground like my Moultrie 880 is mounted. Positioning at that height is a bit of a pain as the camera has to be shimmed or placed on a branch that provides an angle that will result in pictures of what is below. The advantage to mounting at that height is the deer notice the red glow much less, based on my experience. I'm going to try the game camera mount also so the camera can be positioned easier. Obviously mounting a camera that high necessitates carrying a ladder to change cards, etc. To that end, the 3 foot aluminum ladder I carry is light enough that it doesn't bother me (but may bother others.) Just the thoughts going through my head at this moment. JohnM, thanks for starting this thread. The discussion has been very helpful to me.

der Teufel
August 19, 2014, 11:54 AM
I have a couple of the Bushnell trophy cams, they're maybe 2-3 years old now. The battery life if very good at least 3-4 months using rechargeable AA's. The first one I bought took very good night photos, but the second one was much grainier. In fact, I returned two of them before I decided that I'd just been lucky with the first one. There's a noticeable difference in night photo quality that I can't explain.

Anyway, at least they're both reliable. I bought a Primos 35 several years ago and it won't run more than about 7-10 days before something locks up and drains the batteries. Maybe it's a fluke but I'm not buying any more Primos game cameras. I still use the 35 when I'm out for a weekend and notice something I want to observe for just a day or two, like a game trail under a fence. I don't even bother to leave it out for more than a week because I know that when I get back it will have died. :fire: :banghead:

August 20, 2014, 10:38 AM
What you get if you forget and have the camera pointing towards where the sun will rise. :D

August 20, 2014, 08:07 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the SpyPoint BF-6?
I'm thinking of buying a camera either tomorrow or Fridayand looking at both the Moultrie 880i and this SpyPoint BF-6. Both of these are in my price range and look to be fairly equal but I just want to know your opinions.

August 23, 2014, 07:23 PM
Over the years,I've bought many different brands of game cameras. I never had much luck with Wild Game Innovations,Primos,or Moultrie cameras.
The Bushnell Trophy cameras worked great for about 2 years,but then both of them broke. I sent them in for repair,and Bushnell refused to repair them,they only wanted me to buy new ones from them. So,I will not buy anymore Bushnell products.
I have 4 of the Browning Recon Force 8mp cameras,and couldn't be happier with them. I have 2 of them taking photos,and the other 2 taking videos. They have always worked excellent,and take great photos/videos on them.
Cuddeback is probably the best one on the market,but I won't spend the money on them.

These are free ranging low fenced deer on our place,not high fenced animals. We have spent a lot of time and money growing deer like these,and we have a bunch of them. These are probably 4-5 year old bucks.

August 24, 2014, 02:50 PM
I went to bass pro and they didn't have the m880i only the m880so I ended up getting the Cuddeback E3. The guy at the counter said he has both and likes the E3 better anyways. I'll get pics soon enough maybe I'll check the cam pics this coming Friday that will be a week sitting

August 24, 2014, 09:37 PM
Here is my feeder. The folks we bought the property from left it behind. I left it alone for about 6 weeks in case someone showed up who wanted it back (Friend of theirs or something.), but then I moved it and it is set up near one of the natural drains that feed the pond. Camera to the left and drain to the right. The turkeys and racoons are wearing it out, and we have gotten a few deer pics as well.

The raccoon sequence showed where he spun the feeder and then got down to eat with his buds. Smart little buggers.

August 25, 2014, 07:18 AM
The raccoon sequence showed where he spun the feeder and then got down to eat with his buds. Smart little buggers.
I went to check feeders yesterday and found that one had been dismantled. The battery was laying 10 yards down a trail, the cover was laying about 20 yards down another trail and I couldn't find the wing nut anywhere. This is the first time I have seen where a coon removed a wing nut. My guess is that at least 50% of the corn from the feeders is consumed by coons. I have 1000s of photos of the little acrobats hanging upside down from the feeders.

August 25, 2014, 09:43 PM
I've been using a Wildgame Innovations W6E for the past year since my Primos Truthcam35 crapped out on me. I really like it so far. It triggers good and fast, and takes good pictures. My only gripe is the transitional period of sunrise and sunset, sometimes it switches to infrared too early or too late, and the pics are washed out due to too much light. Here are a few pics, I really like the red shouldered hawk from last week.

August 28, 2014, 12:23 PM
sometimes it switches to infrared too early or too late,I have seen this with the Browning as well.

August 28, 2014, 12:30 PM
My Browning does it too, changing light probably plays tricks on the sensor.

August 28, 2014, 12:32 PM
How often do you check your cameras? I just got my Cuddeback E3 and it's my first camera I've tried it out but so I've got is cows so far.

August 31, 2014, 05:16 PM
Every week or two generally. It took some time for the critters to find the feeder. After that the turkeys and racoons have been real regular, with the occasional deer.

I just ordered another trail cam. I went with the Stealth Cam G30 IR Camera STC-G30 ( I will be interesting to see how it compares to my Browning. Curiosity could not let me order the same thing that I already have, despite being very happy with it.

September 3, 2014, 11:56 PM
I have a Bushnell 8mp which I just put out a few days ago.

Pic slideshow

Last year

I'm pretty happy with the quality of the vid and pics. The cam was 200+though.

September 4, 2014, 04:15 AM
Excellent videos, 27Hand! Thanks for posting that!

September 4, 2014, 10:02 AM
Mine is at the edge of a meadow about a mile from the house, I think I'll go down and get it next week to check what it got.
The bull moose seem to be moving around now, be nice to catch 1 or 2 with the camera.

der Teufel
September 4, 2014, 03:35 PM
sometimes it switches to infrared too early or too late, and the pics are washed out due to too much light.

I have seen this with the Browning as well.

My Brownings do the same, but they don't usually stay in the wrong mode very long. They seem to quickly figure out that they need to change settings.

September 4, 2014, 04:48 PM
I had a clip last spring that I wasn't sure what was going on. I don't remember if I didn't have the time set up correctly but the whole vid is kind of washed out. That's the only time it happened.

September 6, 2014, 12:08 AM
I just bought a Moultrie 990i that I will be taking to the lease tomorrow. I will report in a couple weeks if I like it or not. so far I had it setup outside and it picked me up walking at about 60 ft.

September 7, 2014, 06:49 PM
Cool videos. I need to do some.

On another note, I think the Browning has crapped out. It says "card lock" when the card isn't locked, and will not take pics anymore. Bummer. Going to call them in the AM.

The Stealth Cam G30 is working well though. I was planning on taking pics from two locations by now though. *sigh* :)

September 8, 2014, 10:02 AM
I left my Browning at the edge of a meadow down from the house for a week.
Tons of deer passed by, just one moose, but this fine 5 point was a treat.

September 9, 2014, 01:43 PM
I recently purchased my first game cameras, a Browning SpecOps and a DarkOps. They tend to take infrared photos unless they are in full daylight, i.e., still taking IR well after sunrise in a clearing or taking IR in the middle of the day in a wooded location. They also only seem to trigger within 10 yards. Is this normal?

I did get a nice pic of a young bear that I'll post later.

Well, I tried to attach two photos of the bear but they don't seem to show up. I clicked "Go Advanced" and then "Manage Attachments" but no photos.

September 10, 2014, 07:55 PM
the Browning has crapped out.It also ate some new batteries in a day and a half, while NOT taking pics.

We had to go through the usual try this and try that with Browning, but then they said to send it in and they'll send us another one.

Frustrating to have it go bad, but can't complain about the CS. (Unless it takes eons to get the new one of course. ;))

September 10, 2014, 08:33 PM
It also ate some new batteries in a day and a half, while NOT taking pics.

We had to go through the usual try this and try that with Browning, but then they said to send it in and they'll send us another one.

Frustrating to have it go bad, but can't complain about the CS. (Unless it takes eons to get the new one of course. ;))
my WildViews have done that, and so has my dads CuddyBack it was the SD Card , nothing wrong with the cams , so try a new SD Card before you send it in ,

September 11, 2014, 09:01 AM
I see the Bushnell HD 8MP is on sale at Cabela's for 159.

After well over a year and thousands of pics / hundreds of vids, my batteries ran down. I was still getting day shots but no IR.

Changed them out and seems OK.

I rotate 3 SD cards in the cam. 2, 4 and a 32GB card.
It's raining now so I'll check tomorrow ( it's only100feet away).
I keep seeing the same 4 doe and 2-3 turkey's but had 5 bucks last year due to some home building nearby.

September 11, 2014, 02:00 PM
Where is that link to that. I've found it but at $179

September 11, 2014, 11:12 PM
That may be a 3 store sale price.

The stores listed on the newspaper ad are the Wheeling WV, Charleston WV and Columbus Oh stores.
Ad runs from Sept 10 through 21st.

Mine's a Bushnell HD 8MP Trophy cam It takes 3 pics and a video in hybrid mode.

Ill see what model # when I collect the SD card tomorrow AM

Here's a composite movie of pics and a vid. Runs about a min.

September 13, 2014, 08:43 AM
so try a new SD Card before you send it in ,Three different ones. :)

September 17, 2014, 03:16 PM
Last night (

September 18, 2014, 10:08 PM
Browning replaced the camera. It came today. I'll put it out this Saturday.

Cudo's to Browning.

September 18, 2014, 10:47 PM
I went to Dick's sporting goods looking for another trail cam.

I was going to get a different one to see how much difference in quality, etc there might be.

I happened to see one Bushnell HD Trophy Cam and saw the sticker at 129.99.
This one had an SD card. I had the clerk unlock it and took it to the cashier who rung it up at almost $200. I questioned the price, they called the clerk who verified the 129 sticker and I got it for the sticker price. They corrected the error. I have to send in for a $30 rebate and might not get it for a while but I feel like I did OK.

I just set it out about 2 hours ago.

September 19, 2014, 07:12 AM
Glad to hear about the good CS from Browning. Something hard to get a lot of places anymore.

September 19, 2014, 09:22 PM
And a fast turnaround too. I tested it in the house and have some gosh awful pics of my hairy legs walking by in the den. Yep, deleted them. I am going to set it out on a game trail running along a natural drain. See what it picks up. It has a much faster recovery time (less than 3 seconds IIRC) than the Stealth (7 or 8 seconds IIRC), which is handy for game passing through quickly on a trail.

September 22, 2014, 09:28 AM
Another night photo from my Browning Spec Ops camera showing the poor result.
I understand a different model does a lot better at night.

September 22, 2014, 09:30 AM
I left my camera out for a week and it took 806 pictures in about 4 hours of NOTHING. I had the camera facing west but it was deep enough in the woods that I didn't think the soon would need with it but I guess I was wrong

September 22, 2014, 09:35 AM
I've noticed mine besides getting tripped by blowing grass will also go off from fast moving cloud shadows.

September 23, 2014, 07:43 AM
I'll get a pic with nothing in it on occasion, but 95+% of the time it has something. That goes for the Browning and the Stealth. I have been taking some videos with the Stealth, and they are pretty cool. I put the replacement Browning out last Saturday. I hope to get positive results when I check it.

I agree, that night photo isn't too good. Movement is some of it, but the stationary stuff isn't too clear either. What megapixel is it set on?

September 23, 2014, 07:54 AM
I don't remember what the camera is set, 1 down from max I think,
I don't know what effect MP size has on the quality of the picture.

September 23, 2014, 09:05 AM
My daughter hates it when I buy a new camera because I sit it on the end table in the LR for an hour to test it. I find that all of them are a bit slow on the trigger as I get a lot of shots of us walking away or just blank shots. Maybe a higher $$$ camera would solve this?
I checked a camera on Sunday that had 81 pictures. 60 or so were of nothing but shadows and blowing weeds. I adjusted the settings but I think it may be a "cheap" issue. That's okay since I am just having fun rather than looking for a chupacabra.

September 23, 2014, 09:24 AM
I'd like to get better photos at night since that's when a lot of cool stuff is happening. I've seen some that are really good. The cameras may be inexpensive, but they're still too much to keep buying looking for a good one.
I understand digital SLRs, but the way these trail cams work I don't get.

September 23, 2014, 09:31 AM
"On another note, I think the Browning has crapped out. It says "card lock" when the card isn't locked, and will not take pics anymore. Bummer. Going to call them in the AM."

Check the card... I have several cameras set out and multiple SD cards. One card shows locked and will not format or work in the camera or on the computer... other cards work fine... BTW I am awaiting delivery on four Moultrie refurbished cameras that might still be available at $29.00 each when bought in pairs. We are in wildlife conservation and I just need to know where, when, and what. I have a Nikon for serious photography.

September 23, 2014, 09:39 AM
Another night photo from my Browning Spec Ops camera showing the poor result.
I understand a different model does a lot better at night.
Try raising the camera. the grass is reflecting the light that is key to the exposure...

September 23, 2014, 09:43 AM
I left my camera out for a week and it took 806 pictures in about 4 hours of NOTHING. I had the camera facing west but it was deep enough in the woods that I didn't think the soon would need with it but I guess I was wrong
Moving leaves and limbs, clouds, tree shadows have all triggered my cameras. I had over 5000 on one camera and all but ten or so were triggered by one of the above...

September 23, 2014, 09:56 AM
I had a few pics I'd saved. I actually had some night shots that aren't too bad. I'm going down later to check it and think I'll bump the quality up to the max 10MP, I think it must be at 4MP now, maybe that's too low for sharp photos, especially at night, might also get it out of the grass.

September 23, 2014, 02:30 PM
after Primos and cuddy back and Moultries, i have moved to all Bushnell 8mp Trophy cams. I have one of the HD ones, but two of the 2012 model 8MP ones. Battery life is awesome, pic quality is great and they just work and have lasted much longer than the other ****ty cams.

I wish i hadnt wasted my money on non-Bushnell branded cams.

September 23, 2014, 05:08 PM
I picked up a few Browning BTC6, Dark Ops cameras and for them being the most expensive of the Browning line, while still only costing 130 or so I am happy, these are on the normal setting at 4mp in my backyard while I'm testing them out trying to make sure I get the placement down before I set them up back in the woods.

September 23, 2014, 05:52 PM
Check the card... As posted, I did. Browning replaced the camera, so I reckin' it really was crapped out. ;)

Nice pics Speedgoat. I'll never see a Moose around here. Very cool.

Here are a couple from the Stealth. The racoons have been out during the day a couple of times.

September 24, 2014, 08:26 AM
I had to put traps under two of my feeders yesterday just to try and get rid of the coons. About 75% of the pics are of coons hanging upside down on the feeder mechanism and they had actually removed a wingnut from one feeder! The battery and cover were down different trails but I never found the nut.
I have a neighbor with a 12 year old boy that will be checking the traps every day before school and resetting as needed. At one feeder I had 4 coons at one time and I am not talking babies. Big fat coons. Of course they are all grain fed.
Still getting a lot of daylight photos of nothing on one of the Moultrie cameras. I guess it is seeing shadows and limbs moving around.

October 7, 2014, 11:33 PM
Here is a composite slide show of some of my backyard critters.
Some I've posted before.

I may get into a tree back there this week

October 13, 2014, 01:59 PM
I have to say i don't like the Moultrie 990i i bought. It only detects movement about 35-40 ft away. Night pictures are decent.

October 19, 2014, 12:44 AM
I love my trails cams ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( (

October 20, 2014, 02:55 PM
I love my cams as well.

I had a new guy stop by last night.

For comparison, I am posting the earlier buck first. (

Now, last nights buck. (

Here are a few smaller guys also hanging around. ( (

My hunting buddy brought me a squirrel a few days ago and wanted to try his hand at deer hunting from a treestand. (

These guys haven't been around for a while but I guess knew there was a party in the neighborhood. (

October 21, 2014, 07:36 AM
Some nice pics here, I got this guy on the camera last time I went and got the card.

October 26, 2014, 10:31 AM
I have three 2 year olds in my back yard right now. I expect Mr Big to run them off fairly soon.

October 29, 2014, 06:36 PM
I posted on Sept 18 about sending in for the $30 Bushnell rebate on the 2nd HD Trophy Cam I bought at Dick's.

I received a postcard saying the $30 rebate was disallowed. "Your submission did not include an original UPC from a qualifying Bushnell product."

Now, what to do.
I have a copy of the paperwork I sent which was complete with the original UPC. I wrote a lengthy letter outlining the store the purchase was made at, the salesman letting me know there was a rebate but not being able to get a rebate slip printed. I already had one printed so no big deal.
Sent everything in and now this postcard.

They have the original UPC. I taped it and the sales receipt to a sheet of printer paper

I told them how the rebate was a deciding factor of the purchase of my 2nd Trophy Cam and while the $30 would not break the bank for me, a little thing like this could be the deciding factor of purchasing additional Bushnell products, or not.

I gave them a detailed list of Bushnell products I currently own ( qty 7).
I further said due to my age and deteriorating eyesight, I was probably going to upgrade to more magnification on at least 3 rifle scopes and had anticipated getting additional trail cameras.

I referred to "little things" like CS can keep consumers coming back or lack of same can drive consumers away.

I'll see what happens when (if) I get a response and if so, what the outcome will be.

November 1, 2014, 11:39 AM
After a week this is what I got. 4 pics of these guys making their way through the watering hole and 5 pics of a spastic squirrel oh and about 990 other pics of the same stuff seems to be triggered by the wind blowing the leaves . What an I doing wrong to be getting all these pics of the same stuff minute after minute?

November 2, 2014, 07:51 AM
Not a whole lot you can do if there's a lot of stuff in the cameras FOV that can move in the wind.
I get a lot of pics caused by wind movement no matter how careful I am about placement, even have fast moving cloud shadows trip the camera.
Speaking of which, I need to go down and check mine, its had about a week in a new spot.

November 2, 2014, 08:33 AM
I get a few "wind" pics as well.

I just changed out my two cards yesterday (two weeks worth) and there were 480+ videos at the feeder and 150+ pics from below the pond dam. I am going to change back to pics at the feeder. It takes too much time to go through that many videos.

November 2, 2014, 12:24 PM
I figured out my issue. I'm a ****. I had the setting set for time lapse and photo not just photo

November 2, 2014, 10:08 PM
Had 5 doe under my tree last night. It got too dark to shoot but I didn't want to spook them so waited 45 min for them to finally move on. They moved in front of one camera to this second one which was 10 yds from my tree.

November 3, 2014, 08:22 AM
27 hand do you put peanut butter on your camera?
I normally have pics of deer staring straight into the camera at night and small deer coming to investigate. The big bucks never investigate.
We pulled a camera from a feeder last weekend. 132 pictures and 130 of them were raccoon.

November 20, 2014, 11:35 AM
Ha. No peanut butter but I get quite a few doe that mosey right up to the cams. I had an earlier video of a raccoon licking my ground level cam too.
I didn't think it was food related but I check the cams almost daily so perhaps it is somehow food related.

I was in NH for a week and let both cams run for that time.

Prior to the trip, I arrowed a buck and never recovered it ( first time in well over 20 yrs).
Two days later I shot a doe ( in freezer).

For a few days after that, I had almost no activity and figured they knew I was around.

Maybe they knew I was out of town and the activity level was very high. This is a 5 min compilation of pics and vids over that week.

November 21, 2014, 10:02 PM
Last weekend I walked up on a big bodied but but couldn't count his antlers. I tried to chase down for about 15mins but he finI'm going back out this weekend to try to put a hole in him. Hopefully that will happen tomorrow but if not I hope to at least get some pics of him next week and take him down in pistol season.
I forgot to bring the trail camera last weekend and before I've had an issue with the sd card when I got to the spot which is about an hour and a half drive. Tomorrow I'm taking my cam with a new 8GB sd card and I'm taping a 4GB sd to the inside of the camera door. Does anyone do this?

btw here is what this bruiser is doing. I've seen him but couldn't count the antlers but he is a big bodied boy. There were about 10 other rubs just like this on trees about 4in in diameter but the big one is about 6in. (

I was in a tree and heard him doing this about 25yds into some cedars but he never came out. I followed his tracks down a logging trail to a big pond about 300yds - 400yds away (

November 22, 2014, 07:59 AM
27 hand do you put peanut butter on your camera?
I normally have pics of deer staring straight into the camera at night and small deer coming to investigate. The big bucks never investigate.this is one of my things about the cameras. I really believe that big bucks get spooked off by a visible flash. Does and yearling bucks aren't smart enough to figure out that it could be danger. You do something to alert a big buck once and he's usually gone

So, maybe stupid question, but if you get IR, is that invisible to deer?

November 22, 2014, 08:30 AM
IR is supposed to be invisible but I have my doubt's sometimes

November 22, 2014, 12:45 PM
We have put out older cameras with flash. We usually get one picture of a big buck, then nothing. That's why I asked.

November 23, 2014, 02:26 PM
I sincerely believe they can see it or are aware it's there. ( ( ( (

A also believe some tell me they disapprove of getting their pic taken (

November 23, 2014, 02:47 PM
Is that a real live flash or IR? In the last picture you can see his tail up, which means he's spooked

November 23, 2014, 04:43 PM
I absolutely love, and their recommendations have been very reliable.

I have three cellular game cams that I use on my place in OK, and that's all I can afford of them. I wanted a couple "cheap" cameras for my place behind my house, and the guys at recommended the Browning Strike Force, and I bought 4. All their reviews of this camera seem to be spot on.

November 24, 2014, 09:57 PM

That's an IR flash picked up by the other IR cam.

I believe the last pic is not the buck being spooked but chasing some doe. Like this. ( ( (
I have a few more shots of this from more distance, in daylight. Those might be on the SD cards in the cams now.

I have a few pics of a opossum triggering a cam with IR and quite a few cam on cam IR shots and videos. I think they're pretty cool.

November 30, 2014, 08:14 PM
Finally got this bad boy on camera today but then found out I'm not going to be able to hunt the land anymore. Stupid family disputes. Anyways here is the vids from last Sunday to today in order. I thought last weekend I had found where this guy was hanging out so I put the camera up and last night got some Stump Likker and planned on putting some down in from of my camera and a blind as well but I guess the land owners family had other ideas. Oh well on to the next spot I guess.

The buck

December 1, 2014, 05:22 PM
27hand did you get a response from Bushnell yet?

December 2, 2014, 11:30 AM

No, I haven't gotten a response from Bushnell yet.

I did just order another cam.
I ordered a StealthCam STC-G42NG and all the jewelry ( security box, python cable lock, SD cards) and should have it in a week or so.

It advertises a 100ft 10 mPixel range. Although I doubt that, I'm going to mount it about 15 feet up and angled downward under my stand and see if I can capture a hunt. Since it will be in daylight, it might work out.

When I get the stealth cam, I'm also going to mount all 3 cams on the same tree angled at the same spot and see what the comparison quality is between the Trophy Cam HD, the Bone Collector Trophy cam and the Stealth cam.

December 2, 2014, 11:39 AM
I look forward to that comparison.

December 5, 2014, 06:56 PM
This is a picture / video compilation of the last few days in my back yard.

I've been going around with a few friends if this is a legal buck or not.
In my area of Pa, we have to have 3 points up disregarding the brow tines and a legal point is listed in the game manual as being at least an inch in length.

This was my Bone Collector Bushnell Trophy Cam.
It seems like the Bushnell's wash out if the animal is closer than 5 or 6 feet from the IR.

I got the security box for the new Stealth cam but don't expect the rest to come for a few days.

What do you think, Pa guys? Or anybody?

Legal as per what I outlined?

December 5, 2014, 06:59 PM
I think I'd just wait until next year and see how the rack progresses.

der Teufel
December 5, 2014, 09:18 PM
this is one of my things about the cameras. I really believe that big bucks get spooked off by a visible flash. Does and yearling bucks aren't smart enough to figure out that it could be danger. You do something to alert a big buck once and he's usually gone

So, maybe stupid question, but if you get IR, is that invisible to deer?

I think sometimes deer notice the camera even if there's no flash, as in the daytime. They're quite observant about their surroundings! (

December 9, 2014, 10:58 PM
I had three different models of Bushnells and they all died within 1-2 years, I sent one back and hoped to get some help from manufacturer but all they offered me 20% discount if I buy new one from them. I opened one of the camaras after waist some money for shipping and a lot of time negotiating with Bushnell and noticed that corrossion did it work, all small electronic parts turned to white powder.

I promissed my self not to buy that crap anymore.

December 11, 2014, 08:37 PM

What models if I may ask? I have 2 but they are only a year and another is a few months.
Do you have an idea on how moisture got into them?

Looks like mine seal very well (for now, that is).

I just set out my stealth cam and git a couple 10 sec videos.

I'll do the comparison test after hunting season. Prob in the next week or 2.

December 11, 2014, 09:18 PM
I have a 4 year old Bushnell Trophy Cam. It worked like a champ for the first 3 years. This year it started to become squirrely. Like working intermittently, not taking pictures for a week then starting for a while. The batteries were new this year. I guess its time to replace it.

December 15, 2014, 08:38 PM
I haven't done the 3 camera comparison yet but did collect the card from the new Stealth Cam and made a 2 1/2 min movie of what was in the back yard the last 3 days of our rifle season ( I hunt with a crossbow due to safety zones etc).

I don't believe I like the Stealth Cam as well as the Bushnells due to the new cam not having the hybrid feature the Bushnells do. Just spoiled, I suppose.

For this minimovie, I had it set up for 10 sec videos only. This afternoon, I set it for 3 picture bursts and will see what they look like in a couple days.

December 16, 2014, 08:24 PM
This has been a good thread. FYI the Browning Strike Force is on sale right now at Sportsmans Warehouse for $100. It's gotten some great reviews, so I bought one today. We'll see how it it works out.

December 20, 2014, 11:36 AM
I got a couple bucks sparring under my tree stand a few days ago.
Doe comes back in after Christmas and antlered archery for a couple weeks in Jan.

As I said before, I like the hybrid mode on the Bushnells but haven't done the research on if other cams have that capability.

December 26, 2014, 10:28 AM
Has anybody tried the Moultrie a5. My local Walmart has one on clearance for $49 and i was just wondering if it would be worth the money as a second camera to my Moultrie M880

December 26, 2014, 11:21 AM
By the way, is there such a thing as a trail camera with proper, directly accessible WIFI? I have very good 18dB omni+MIMO+beamforming access point antennas on the roof of my cabin for maximum coverage and there are at least 2-3 spots within range where I'd like to put cameras. The whole place is surrounded by deer bedding area and trails/tracks, so I'd love to be able to access the cameras through wifi as well as having them save pictures (and video?) directly to a server.

I've had AXIS surveillance cameras for this purpose but the better ones are VERY expensive and require a car battery as an external power source, which they manage to drain in a matter of days.

December 26, 2014, 02:09 PM
Yes the make them and G4 too. Just Google "wifi trail camera" and you will get a list.

December 26, 2014, 06:56 PM
Here's a video I just pulled from a Primos Truth Cam 35 that I bought refurbished from Natchez Shooters. I actually bought several and they're a great deal for the price ($50). I primarily use these to watch for trespassers, so prefer cheap ones that I don't worry too much about losing.

The bear in the video has been causing all sorts of problems with the bee yard and an electric fence hasn't stopped him.

December 27, 2014, 07:42 PM
I've had a Bushnell 6 mp for two years now, and a trophy cam HD for several months (the HD is one of the older models, last year or the year before). Both work so well, I picked up two more of the HDs. I have other brands, but they are my go to cameras in most situations. Letting you set the field scan time, as opposed to it just going for a few hours at daylight and then again at dusk is a big plus. Haven't had to use their customer service, so no comment on that.

I picked up three Moultrie panoramic 150s last year. I really like the camera, and it does what it says it does. One was dead and the other two were acting up after about 8 months and had to be sent back. Moultrie replaced all three with no fuss. The replacements worked fine up until Thanksgiving week (about three months after I got them). The first one died for unknown causes, but I'm almost positive the cows worked it over...cows do things like that. We got 9 inches of rain in 30hrs a couple days later and the second one drowned (as in, underwater). The third one is working fine. Not sure if I'll pick up new ones this summer or not, guess I'll wait and see how long/well this last one holds up. I really like the concept, and when they are working, they work great. But longevity may be an issue. These are pretty amazing little machines, you're basically buying a computer that you can stick out in the woods for weeks or months on end- I don't expect them to have really long lifespans. But then, if they are dying after 8 months and get replaced for free under warranty...well, 2 years doesn't seem that bad for what you're getting for $150. Like I said, when mine were working, they were fantastic, even if the picture quality wasn't quite as good as the Bushnells.

The Primo's truth cam I got last year is still running strong and is a great camera, and if the new ones have field scan capability, I'd look at those. I picked up a Browning this season (strikeforce, I think). Its not a bad camera, but its not the same picture quality as the Bushnells, but I was paying roughly the same price. I really don't like the proprietary time-lapse software you have to use.

FWIW, I've had a pair of old Wildlife Innovation cameras for several years now, and one of them finally died. They weren't bad, not the best at anything, really kind of just bare bones, but they worked, and did so longer than I had any business expecting.

Double Naught Spy
December 28, 2014, 08:11 AM
Has anybody tried the Moultrie a5. My local Walmart has one on clearance for $49 and i was just wondering if it would be worth the money as a second camera to my Moultrie M880

YES, and DO NOT BUY THE A5! It is a terrible camera unless you want a camera that basically acts as a plot watcher camera. I have two and a buddy of mine in Florida has a couple. Regardless of the setting, the slightest movement from anything in their FOV triggers them. You can literally get thousands of pictures that look like time lapse of the day that have zero animals, sometimes at night as well, but not as much.

December 29, 2014, 07:07 PM
Ok, I finally set up 3 cameras on the same tree angled at about the same place to see what the differences are.
You can see them on the tree at the lower left of the pic. I happened to be 20 feet up the next tree with my crossbow in hand.

I'm going to give it a few days to see what game comes through.
I walked past the cams at about 15yds, 10 yds, 5 yds and close up.
I have the Bushnell Trophy cam HD Bone Collector on top, the Stealth cam in the middle and my older Bushnell Trophy Cam HD on the bottom. I'll collect the SD cards in a couple days and do some comparisons. (

January 5, 2015, 10:27 PM
Here is my last week's worth of video. 15 second clips merged.

December 29 early am:

December 29 pm:

December 30 morning clip:

December 30 early afternoon:

Dogs chasing the deer
December 30 evening:

December 31 am clip:

Nice Hurd running in here and some fighting
January 1 pm:

January 6, 2015, 01:20 AM

What models if I may ask? I have 2 but they are only a year and another is a few months.
Do you have an idea on how moisture got into them?

Looks like mine seal very well (for now, that is).

I just set out my stealth cam and git a couple 10 sec videos.

I'll do the comparison test after hunting season. Prob in the next week or 2.
I don't remember what models they were but I never buy cheapest ones. They were working great when they were new. I live in California and excessive moisture/himidity should not be a problem.

January 6, 2015, 06:01 PM
What's the deal with the camera comparison 27hand

January 7, 2015, 08:28 AM
YES, and DO NOT BUY THE A5! It is a terrible camera unless you want a camera that basically acts as a plot watcher camera. I have two and a buddy of mine in Florida has a couple. Regardless of the setting, the slightest movement from anything in their FOV triggers them. You can literally get thousands of pictures that look like time lapse of the day that have zero animals, sometimes at night as well, but not as much.
I've got a couple of moultries that do nothing but eat through batteries and take worthless pictures. I think they're A5's too.

January 7, 2015, 08:28 AM
I've got a couple of moultries that do nothing but eat through batteries and take worthless pictures. I think they're A5's too.
Can I have them I'll pay shipping

January 7, 2015, 08:31 AM
Can I have them I'll pay shipping
If I ever decide to get rid of them we'll see . . . one seems to be better than the other, so I'm wondering how much of it where I hung it. Going to try a different spot to see if it keeps doing it.

January 7, 2015, 08:36 AM
My fiance's grandparents were given a Moultrie A5 and they like it for what they needed it to do and they actually had me buy them another one off of Amazon for $56 shipped.
I use the M880 at I don't have any complaints of it as of right now other than its not the infrared version but that's really not a big deal for me.

January 7, 2015, 10:00 AM
One thing I noticed on the first video this that the deer obviously knew it was there and kept looking towards the camera.

Were all three turned on at the same time, or alternated?

I'm trying to find something that the deer don't sense. We found the bedding area for two really big bucks, one maybe book class and the other maybe 180+/-. Unfortunately this was a couple weeks after buck season.

I'd like to get the cameras set next Spring so we can be ready for early archery season, but I don't want to spook them out of the area with trail cams. Does may tolerate something like that. A 180 class buck most likely won't.

January 7, 2015, 10:02 AM
Get an ir camera because that's supposed to keep them from seeing it at night

Double Naught Spy
January 7, 2015, 11:43 AM
Get an ir camera because that's supposed to keep them from seeing it at night

Yes and no. Many IR cameras emit a faint cherry glow when they take a picture. Generally, it does not bother the animals. The "blackout" cameras will have invisible (to humans and most animals) or nearly invisible flash.

January 7, 2015, 11:45 AM
The Cuddeback Blackflash is supposed to be awesome because it's quick trigger time but the downfall of that camera is it doesn't have much range

January 7, 2015, 02:16 PM
The Cuddeback Blackflash is supposed to be awesome because it's quick trigger time but the downfall of that camera is it doesn't have much range

This area is maybe a four acre brush island that borders a ditch and is surrounded by excellent farm land. Like to have as much distance as possible as there's no natural funnel to force them thru a defined area

Thanks for the replies

January 7, 2015, 03:55 PM
Moultrie is a common brand so you can fix it or find parts etc.. maybe even a decent warranty. But options should depend on what you are using it for.

With trail cameras batteries have always seemed to be the biggest pain in the but... especially when it gets cold. I wouldn't purchase anything that didn't allow for a battery pack or spare battery attachment or a system that somehow extends the life of the batteries in the first place.

LED lights, auto shut off and battery packs are what is going to keep your camera rolling.

Other options depend on what you want to use the images for... if you want to show people then high resolution and even video are great. If you don't care to show anyone and just want to know what's out there then lower resolution digital photos are fine.

January 7, 2015, 10:31 PM
The Bushnells and Primos Truthcam all have had fantastic battery life. One ran a full year before it got below 40%, and that's with heavy use. The Moultrie 150s got pretty good life, too, but not as good as the aforementioned. Can't speak to the cold here in FL. All three have pretty good range, though I think the Bushnells edge the others a bit.

If you are putting them out during the spring, it may not matter if the animals notice them much at first (they do tend to notice them at close range, though I think its the tiny noises that get made, not so much the flash). In my experience, most get used to them pretty quick, and I've yet to get a shot of one running away from them. So long as a member of the group doesn't get hurt or chased by something, its amazing what deer will get used to in very short order, including people. And you absolutely want to douse them with scent killer spray. With the Bushnells, you have the timelapse mode that can be set for different times of the day. You might try setting them back from the cover beyond motion trigger range, still close enough to get a decent picture, and just run them really hard near dusk and dawn for a while. They still get triggered by motion in the off times, but the animal will have to be within sensor range. Run them for a while, and if you don't have any luck, change the location.

January 8, 2015, 11:59 AM
Problem with the cameras is that you can spend $100-$500 on something that may or may not work. And, you've wasted all that time and effort in the process. Nice to get unbiased input

Appreciate all the responses.

wild willy
January 8, 2015, 08:48 PM
The one brand that I will never use again is Wildgame innovations.Didn't buy the one I have got as a gift and they didn't keep the slip so I'am stuck with it JUNK

January 8, 2015, 08:59 PM
This is really interesting IMO. Covers some of the questions I had. Section on the effect of putting the camera at various heights. And, video vs. still pix...

January 9, 2015, 07:35 PM
This big four point has been coming around since shortly after putting the feeder out this summer. It has only been in the last couple of weeks that I have seen him, or any other bucks, at the feeder during the day. There is a nice little six point that comes around as well. There was a doe with two fawns for awhile, but they have separated.

This is the Stealth camera.

January 10, 2015, 02:06 PM
Number of years ago I made a wooden tree stand. Used some rattle cans to paint it green/brown/tan/black. Thought I did an OK job. Nothing spectacular, but good enough. Rested it up against a big oak in my yard to dry.

So, hour or so after I put it out, I let my dog out. He takes about two steps, then glances in the direction of the stand. Hair on his back stands up and he starts barking like crazy at the stand. I mean going nuts.

Now, obviously though we as humans think it's camo colored, the animal could very easily pick it out. And not just pick it out, but see it as danger. I figure it was UV being given off by the painted surface.

Where I'm going with this is a video on trail cameras and the reaction of deer. We've all seen pictures of deer spooking away from cameras, but is it the flash, noise, smell?

This video gets into that, and answers a couple of the questions, but never really explains how the sense they camera is there. This is the one I referenced a few posts ago.

I'm thinking the camo on most cameras gives off UV. Looks invisible to us, but what we think doesn't matter. Deer's opinion that counts. So, any ideas on a paint, coating, etc. that is invisible to deer? Or, maybe a better way to hide the camera but still keep it close to the ground?

January 10, 2015, 06:51 PM

Had a glitch on a battery change out of all 3 cams.
I bought a couple 24 packs of Ray O Vacs, changed out all the batteries to log how long they lasted. I set up the 3 cams but didn't have much activity to really compare.
After a few days, I opened one of the Bushnell's and had a couple batteries leaking. I called rayovac and they are replacing the batts but I just bought some Energizers for the cams. I won't use Rayovacs again

With the temps at 0 and single digits, I haven't been out to reset the cams.

I'll be back in a tree this upcoming week so hope to have the cams in place tomorrow.

I have to verify the one cam isn't crapped up by the leaky batts.

January 10, 2015, 06:57 PM
I have a friend that buys batteries for industrial applications. He wouldn't use Rayovacs if they were free. Started thinking about it, and they are the only batteries I can remember that leaked

I might put them in a cheap flashlight but I personally wouldn't use them in a $200 game camera. And, what's gonna keep the others from leaking and screwing something up?

January 10, 2015, 09:41 PM
Yeah, lesson learned.
I've been using RayOVac lithiums in my carry flashlights for 10 years with no problems. Buy them 60 at a time.

I'll never put another ROV alkaline in anything but cheap flashlights and my beard trimmer.

I just checked the cam I had a leak in and 2 terminals were corroded already. Luckily, they are made to remove pretty easily and I cleaned them. Still have to get into the slots before that cam goes back out.

January 10, 2015, 09:55 PM
After a few days, I opened one of the Bushnell's Is your Bushnell a Trophy model by any chance? I asked Mr Google about trail cams and found a rather extensive review of eleven different models on YouTube. Ranged anywhere from cheapies to $400+. Bushnell Trophy was mid priced but ranked first.

January 10, 2015, 10:27 PM
Yeah, the 2 Bushnells are Trophy HD's. One is the Bone Collector. It's smaller with an 8 battery pack. The first one that had the batteries leak is also a Trophy HD but is a bit larger and takes 12 batteries.

I noticed the Bone Collector's IR's are visible. The other one is not.

I have the Stealth cam set up for 20 sec videos so will put out that and the Bone collecyor tomorrow. I want to verify I got the other bushnell cleaned up and dried out before putting it out.

January 10, 2015, 10:44 PM

Here's a shot of a buck running away from a cam. I think it may be the shutter. I really don't think it's the IR flash but who knows, could be either.

January 11, 2015, 07:46 AM
Here's a shot of a buck running away from a cam. I think it may be the shutter. I really don't think it's the IR flash but who knows, could be eitherit's not either one. You need to watch this from post #123.

This video gets into that, and answers a couple of the questions, but never really explains how the sense they camera is there.

January 11, 2015, 08:58 AM
My boss and I put out his feeder a couple of weeks ago. It took about 4 days, but the deer have found it.

January 11, 2015, 09:35 AM
I've done a TON of looking on the interweb in the past few weeks. Lotsa YouTube stuff on deer food plots. Food plots can give you more, bigger, and healthier deer than feeders. Also end up being cheaper. Might want to look at some of it if you get a chance.

That looks like a great location to plant. Surrounded by heavy cover so deer will use it all day. I'd guess those are all 1 1/2 year olds by body and antler size. Need to keep them around two more years.

If I had woodland like that I'd be managing it to the maximum. Might consider hinge cutting trees to make buck cover and created food plots and travel lanes. You'd have it made.

January 11, 2015, 07:42 PM
I need to make some spots for food plots, no doubt, and cutting trees is my only option with no real open spots currently. That is part of the plan one of these days. My boss asked me if I was going to plant any food plots this year, and that he would help. My answer was where? As I am all trees.

January 12, 2015, 06:38 AM
On YouTube look for Or

They go onto a place that's all heavy timber. He calls it a biological wasteland for deer. Really little to nothing for them to eat. And, it's so open in the fall that you can see deer a hundred yards away. Which means they can see you a hundred yards away. Which means they won't stay if there's any kind of pressure

They show how to make doe bedding areas, buck bedding areas (which are different). Satellite food plots (only maybe 40x40') major food plots, travel lanes. How to steer the deer to exact locations.

There is the thread running about land management. If you watch these, you'll know why his place doesn't hold deer during the daylight.

I've deer hunted for forty years and never realized half this stuff. He's getting five different quality bucks moving all day on ten acre plots.

January 12, 2015, 07:39 AM
Thanks. I have some plated pines as well where they have more cover from the undergrowth. Plenty of scrapes all over though. As a new property owner, I am at the very beginning of what I want to do. Many of those things are what the wife wants. ;)

Food plots are definitely on the list, somewhere. :)

January 12, 2015, 02:36 PM

To answer your question in post #116 as to my getting a response back from Bushnell about the $30 rebate, I just did receive that rebate check today.

It's raining and freezing rain in the low 30's right now in western Pa but the temp is dropping to high teens, low 20's tomorrow so I should be back in a tree with my crossbow.

I have the 3 cameras set up on one tree. Looks like the angle is pretty similar and I set up all 3 for 25 second videos. I may give them a few days before changing out the SD cards. There are tracks in the snow along that trail so I'm hoping for some activity to do the comparison of those 3 cams. (

January 13, 2015, 08:30 PM
I finally did some comparison videos between mt 3 trail cams.

The oldest one is a Bushnell Trophy Cam HD, black IR 12 battery.

The second one is another Bushnell Trophy Cam HD. It is the BoneCollector model, is not black IR and is a 8 battery model

The newest cam is a Stealth Cam.

The animal traffic behind my house has diminished considerably so in 2 days, only had 3 doe come by at night.
I will eventually put together 3 minimovies of each cam ( maybe 2 to 3 min ea.) but don't have the time right now.

What I did notice was that the Stealth Cam seems to be too sensitive to movement. I had a doz or 2 videos of snow falling. The night range wasn't as far or clear as the Bushnells but I have to do another check ( sometimes the IR of all 3 or 2 of the cams came on at the same time and you can spot the difference).

Daytime clarity seemed about equal but the first day we had that fog/freezing rain crap so I'll wait for another few days to compare the daylight vids.

I climbed a tree about 20 yds away from my cams so I'll check how that looks on a brighter sunny day like today. ( I didn't see any deer and think I'm turning into a candy ass because I got cold after only a few hours).

OK, so I owe you all some videos so you can take a look for yourself.
I have to make the mini movies and get them onto youtube but have to study for a big test a few weeks out first.

January 21, 2015, 10:59 AM
My deer are starting to change their pattern when they are coming in front of my camera. I think it may have to do with the dogs and coyotes.

Jan 10 2015 am:

Jan 11 2015 am:

Jan 11 2015 noon:

Jan 12 2015 snowing:

Jan 14 2015 am coyotes:

Jan 15 2015 am:

Jan 15 2015 pm:

Jan 16 2015 am dogs:

Jan 17 2015 am:

January 21, 2015, 09:34 PM
Glad to hear that you got the rebate! I am seriously considering one of the trophy cams

January 27, 2015, 03:00 AM
You guys realize those Python locks are super easy to pick. Anybody who's tried raking a cheap lock can do it.

January 27, 2015, 09:21 PM
Sorry It took so long to get this together.

Between hunting extended archery until last Sat, the 24th, shoveling snow, teaching plumbers and misc BS, I finally got it together.

I had trouble with the movie maker in that I had 3 SD cards and when i tried changing cards to add videos, the previous part of the movie would go blank. I sent them all to a flashdrive and was able to get all 3 camera videos posted in succession.

I believe I am spoiled by the more expensive Bushnells because of the hybrid function of having both 3 picture bursts followed immediately by a video.

The quality of all 3 was not too different. The Stealth Cam was way too sensitive and gave me dozens of videos with what I thought was no trigger movement.

The BoneCollector Bushnell and the Stealth Cam were priced the same after the Bushnell rebate at about $130 +- but the Bone Collector was priced incorrectly and i got it cheaper than it should have been by $20 to 30. Dicks stood by the advertised price.

Anyway, the movie layout was to run 8 Stealth Cam vids followed by 5 ea of Bushnell vids as noted by cations in the movie.

IIRC the first 3 videos of each cam were of the same deer moving toward the cams. The other vids were for daylight comparison but I had moved the cams to other trees.

Here ya go. It's about 7 plus min.

As far as the python locks being easy to pick, I also chain the security box to the tree as well. If they want it, they will get it. I just hope I make it a little harder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trail Cameras" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!