Any Ideas on what to do with this

PDA

duckfoot
April 9, 2004, 03:22 AM
Brother gave me a M44 MN that he has been shooting for a bit. Well my brother isn't the brightest of boys, but he tried his hand at gun wrenching and this is what he got for his effort.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=926822

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Ideas on what to do with this" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Al Thompson
April 9, 2004, 08:33 AM
Looks like a dandy truck rifle if it'll shoot. :) Good for experimenting with glass bedding, etc.,etc.

1911Tuner
April 9, 2004, 04:51 PM
Howdy duckster!

Like most other military rifles, it's highly likely that the rifling at the muzzle is
dinged up and worn from improper cleaning...which will ruin the potential
for accuracy about as quick as anything I can think of.

Rx: Part/face off the end of the barrel about a half-inch from the muzzle
and recrown it.(Lathe required) On to the stock...

The wood is probably dried out and has shrunk, which is another accuracy
killer, especially if the recoil lug isn't supported evenly by the bedding surface in the stock.

Rx: Brownells Acra-Glas Gel.

A few years back, I picked up a 1916 Spanish Mauser that had seen MUCH better days. I figured that for 50 bucks, what the hey...ya know? It
was gonna be a nasty week weather-wise and it would give me
somethin' to do...

I parted the end of the barrel off flush with the front sight mount...bedded the action and about the first inch and a half of the barrel...made a scope
mount that fit low in the rear sight rails, and put a Burris Scout Scope on it.
With a handload of 42.5 grains of IMR 4064 and a 165-grain Hornady boat-tail bullet in fire-formed PMC .308 brass (on account of the excessive headspace.) ...the rifle will shoot into an inch and a half for five shots and
the velocity is a tick over 2500 fps. In other words...Heap big Deer Medicine.

I gave the rifle to Kelie's ex-husband after his girlfriend cleaned out the
house and sold his Winchester M-70 for a song. He said that the Bama
boys laugh at his ugly rifle until it eats their lunch in the field. :cool:

Later on!

Tuner

duckfoot
April 10, 2004, 01:20 AM
Well the pins that hold on the front sight and the bracket that holds the front sight on to the barrel are gone so this is my idea of cleaning this thing up.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=928654
But 7.62x54R out of a 17 inch barrel = flame thrower. I cleaned up the trigger and now she breake pretty clean, as where before I almost dislocated my figer to get it to move.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Ideas on what to do with this" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!