2f or 3f for 45 acp bullets

PDA

rdh778
August 6, 2014, 11:08 PM
I am trying to find out if I can use Goex 2f or Goex 3f black powder to relaod my 45 acp pistol bullets.

Is Goex a good dependable powder to use?
Thanks,
Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "2f or 3f for 45 acp bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
clearcut
August 6, 2014, 11:11 PM
are you loading a acp or a convertible six?
CC

Don McDowell
August 7, 2014, 12:28 AM
3f will be the powder your want, and yes Goex is a dependable powder.

BCRider
August 7, 2014, 12:41 AM
A buddy that did this in a 1911 found that he had to switch to a softer mainspring due to a softer recoil.

A .45acp case was never intended to provide a proper .45 muzzle velocity from black powder. It simply does not have the room needed. Which is why a .45Colt is the size it is.

From a revolver it would be an OK light recoil plinking load though.

Don McDowell
August 7, 2014, 12:49 AM
A buddy that did this in a 1911 found that he had to switch to a softer mainspring due to a softer recoil.

A .45acp case was never intended to provide a proper .45 muzzle velocity from black powder. It simply does not have the room needed. Which is why a .45Colt is the size it is.

From a revolver it would be an OK light recoil plinking load though.
Actually back in the day there were a number of 45 caliber cases with the same or a bit smaller capacity as the 45 acp that were quite popular , especially in Britain and Europe.

rcmodel
August 7, 2014, 01:39 AM
Your fiirst post and you ask this question?

My impression is, you really don't know the first thing about reloading anything?

Or, you have been reloading for so many years you got bored and decided to try black powder in an auto-pistol?

Which is it?
And we can go from there to help you.

BTW: I started reloading .45 ACP in 1962.
And still have never tried to use black powder in an auto-pistol caliber.

It's just intended for that.

rc

ljnowell
August 7, 2014, 05:45 AM
I have read a magazine article where they did just that. It cycled fairly reliably and was accurate. The point if aim was way off though and it made one filthy 1911.

rdh778
August 7, 2014, 08:55 AM
You are correct. I am a new reloader. I have a friend who got my first supplies for me and he gave me Hodgdon Tite Wad for shot guns to load my 45 acp bullets and Hodgdon Tite Group for my 9 & 40 cal acp. Since it is not available right now (that I can find) I was looking for another brand and came across a forum that said you can use Goex 2f or 3f but they seemed to lean toward 2f for 45 acp's & 3f for 9 & 40.

I want to do the right thing so that is why I asked the question. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm a retired nuclear engineer so I want to do it right.

Don McDowell
August 7, 2014, 09:31 AM
There is an offshoot of the Cowboy action shooting thing, they call the Wildbunch, where they do shoot 1911's and similar, and there are a number of those boys that shoot blackpowder in those semi auto pistols. It can be and is done on a fairly regular basis, with quite a few rounds being expended per shooting session.

david bachelder
August 7, 2014, 09:41 AM
Honestly, I don't know if Black Powder would work well or not. I do know this, it would make a mess. Black powder residue is corrosive and will damage your gun if it's not cleaned after each and every use.

I do clean my firearms regularly but I also tend to let them sit a bit from time to time after doing a little shooting.

Black powder would remove this option. You would need to clean it up after each and every use. I'm assuming you have never shot a black powder weapon and have no idea how messy it is.

I suggest you rethink this and find a better solution.

Only a suggestion.

Don McDowell
August 7, 2014, 10:50 AM
Black Powder will not ruin a gun if left uncleaned. It's not the big mess to clean that some make it out to be. In fact given a good bullet lube and a quality powder it' will take less time and cleaning patches to clean a gun than it will with smokeless. Cleaning the cases is the biggest pain with blackpowder, but again that's mostly time consuming and nothing particularly difficult.
In a recoil operated gun such as a 1911 there's no peculiar problems with blackpowder fouling, a gas operated gun the fouling will make a mess out of the gas tube is short order.

Sam1911
August 7, 2014, 11:36 AM
Perhaps we should apologize for the curtness of some replies, but it may not have been clear to you that loading black powder in a modern semi-auto pistol cartridge is pretty "fringe" territory. Sort of like asking if you could commute to work on a Farmall M tractor. The answer is, technically, yes -- but the responses are going to be largely focused on how odd a choice that is.

Yes, a few folks out there do this from time to time and there are quite a few videos on YouTube of folks shooting 1911s with black powder loads.

It might not be the perfect thing for the beginner, but won't hurt your gun.

Potatohead
August 7, 2014, 04:02 PM
Yes, I think OP might not have realized that black powder was a separate deal.

Where are you? Maybe someone here could loan you some smokeless powder. Maybe you're close to Huntsville Al?

I'm of the opinion it's a good idea to get some reading materials on the subject before jumping in.YMMV

Steve C
August 11, 2014, 03:32 PM
If you've ever shot black powder you'd realize why it was given up 100 years ago for any modern firearm and only holds the same appeal as archery and other ancient weapons.

Black Powder is smokey, extremely dirty to the level that in a tight tolerance firearm meant for smokeless powder it would require cleaning to continue to operate after few rounds. Its corrosive in that it attracts moisture and promotes rapid rusting. To clean your 1911 you will need a complete cleaning, pull off the stocks and wash the entire handgun in boiling water to remove the powder residue and then oil.

Proper BP bullets are lubed with a lubricant that softens the BP residue in the barrel to help clean it somewhat. SPG lube is a black powder lube that is available. In the 1800's revolver shooters used bear grease or other animal fat grease to lube the bullets. Crisco is a substitute if shooting black powder revolver replica's as well as other commercial made options.

I wouldn't recommend loading BP in a modern semi auto except as a survival last resort. As a substitute for smokeless powder its a very poor choice and certainly not what one would use for every day shooting.

Stormin.40
August 12, 2014, 04:18 PM
I would recommend you keep looking as you mentioned in your second post, you are only considering because components are in short supply. There are a lot of different powder options better than BP if you are just a little more patient. You mentioned a friend that is helping you get started, can this friend give you a little powder to get started, I know I have been willing to give friends a little powder to get them started on a new load.

Black Powder is fun, I have used in muzzleloaders and cartridges guns that are designed for it. I would never consider it an option for my semiauto pistols or modern rifles though others have tried just to say they did it. I have to say I like the smoke and smell and have thought about using BP in my modern revolvers, but will wait until I acquire a single action.

burrhead
August 12, 2014, 06:33 PM
You said that you have Titegroup for 9mm and .40. If you have any left, Titegroup is also quite a good powder for 45 ACP.

BullRunBear
August 12, 2014, 06:39 PM
Hi Bob and welcome to the forum.

Although you can load 45acp rounds with black powder, it will be an annoying mess to clean and the slide could well bind up. Black powder leaves behind a lot of soot and unburned particulates that doesn't react well with petroleum based lubes normally used for semiautos. Also, BP must be cleaned soon after shooting, unlike modern smokeless powder. It attracts moisture which leads to rust, pitting and other nastiness. The spent cases would have to be cleaned as well, inside and out. Water will suffice to neutralize and clean out the BP residue. It's not onerous but it must be done. Many BP cartridge shooters take a container of water to the range and drop the fired cases in to soak until you get home to do a thorough cleaning. This is why semiautos weren't practical until smokeless powder was invented.

A few suggestions.

Get some reloading manuals that cover both procedures and loading data. The ABC's Of Reloading, various manuals published by Lyman, and many others are a good start. You local library might have some of them. Folks on the Forum can recommend some. Reloading/handloading is an interesting part of the shooting sports and worth learning about. You can do a search on the Forum or internet for suggested 45acp powders and procedures.

Keep looking for pistol powders. Unique, Red Dot, Bullseye, 231, are just some of the appropriate possibilities. Perhaps someone you know can give or sell you a little. Even a third of a pound will let you do several hundred reloads.

Please continue to ask questions. The High Road members have a wealth of knowledge (and opinions) they are glad to share.

Hope this helps a little.

Jeff

If you enjoyed reading about "2f or 3f for 45 acp bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!