Night scopes

PDA

Dinosaur1
August 8, 2014, 11:12 PM
Anybody ever use one of the Gen 1 scopes. How good are they and long do they last.

If you enjoyed reading about "Night scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
der Teufel
August 10, 2014, 08:01 PM
No, I haven't used a Gen 1 scope. However for not much more (if any) money I bought a Sightmark Photon digital NV scope and I like the heck out of it!

It has some features that I don't particularly like, such as:
* If you use video the crosshairs don't show up.
* It has a red dot to illuminate the center of the crosshairs which, although not really necessary, is nice but it turns on separately from the NV portion. I tend to forget to turn it off. It uses a separate battery which runs down when I leave the dot on.
* The battery compartment cap is bit flimsy, and I broke the locking mechanism on mine. However, I was able to fix it with a couple of small screws from Lowe's, and I've learned to be more careful with it.

It also has features that I like a lot:
* Being digital, it works during the day as well as in darkness
* The on-board IR illuminator is effective out to at least 75 yards, maybe 100.
* The price!! $500 at http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/Photon-3-5X-Digital-Rifle-Scope-p/sightmark-photon-3.5x.htm (where I got mine).

skoro
August 14, 2014, 11:02 AM
I've used Gen 1 monoculars, not rifle scopes. Don't bother unless you're going to use it at very short range.

jmorris
August 15, 2014, 09:32 PM
I have had a few the ones that had a good image wouldn't hold a zero.

I can say, if you buy one get it from optics planet. They will allow you to return it if you are not happy with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Night scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!