Shield rear site

PDA

Big20
August 8, 2014, 11:37 PM
I see tritium sites are now available for the Shield. Sources (can't pinpoint one at the moment but maybe I saw it in the manual) say not to remove the rear site screw. Before I invest in new sites I'd like to know it won't take a trip to the gunsmith to put them on. What happens when you remove the rear site screw?
Now, if someone would produce a real safety lever for the Shield.......

If you enjoyed reading about "Shield rear site" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
UpperAtmosphere
August 9, 2014, 12:07 AM
What happens? You start swearing up a storm because you STILL can't budge the rear sight.

If I have to change the sights on a Shield again, I'm paying somebody.

futurerider103
August 9, 2014, 12:48 AM
Yea mine was very tight to the point I almost said screw it I'll just aim to the right right

JohnnyBravo
August 9, 2014, 10:46 AM
You are supposed to adjust the point of aim with the front sight on the Shield.

The rear sight is not adjustable.

UpperAtmosphere
August 9, 2014, 01:04 PM
It isn't adjustable and is barely removable.

Big20, if you're going to change the sight, make sure you have the right gear - a sight pusher, a good bench vice, good set of drift punches, mallet, and something to heat the rear sight (as there's loctite to deal with).

The kicker - there are some really important parts under the rear sight, at least one of which is made of plastic and will melt/deform if you go nuts heating things. And if you bork up the sight pusher, you get to worry about breaking the tritium vials if you apply too much Gentle Persuasion.

It's not impossible by any means, but I like to work on my own guns and the Shield was easily the least pleasant sight change I've performed.

Theohazard
August 9, 2014, 01:19 PM
I removed my rear sight with just a hammer, punch, and a block of wood to set the slide on (oh, and another set of hands to hold the slide steady). I need a vise for sure.

RustyShackelford
August 9, 2014, 03:07 PM
I'm big on Trijicon HDs(orange-green).
www.Trijicon.com
They fit the M&P Shield pistols.
You can also now get Shields without the thumb safety, ;) .

I'd check www.brownells.com for gunsmith parts.
For gun sights, Id just take it to a pro gunsmith or S&W armorer. I'm not much of a DIYer but I'm learning a few tips & tricks. :D

Rusty

kcofohio
August 9, 2014, 09:00 PM
If the Shield is made similar to the M&P full size, the sights have to be drifted out from left to right. There is a slight taper on the dovetail, opening up toward the right. This is if you are looking at the rear of the slide.

Beware, there may be spring loaded parts under the rear sight of the Shield.

dab102999
August 9, 2014, 09:20 PM
Use a solder iron on the screw. It is lock tight in and will almost break a hex wrench if you don't heat it. Make sure to get a good solid placement of punch. There is a slight lip at bottom of sight and if you put your punch on that it will chip. Use a vise with soft jaws or wrap your slide with leather. You will not be able to hold your slide and try and drive sight out. Once broke loose do not just drive it out. Under the sight is a spring and your firing pin block. Nothing real complicated just not a 5 minute job. While you have it off you tube trigger job on a shield and it will show you how to clean up and make your trigger pull crisp also.

Capt. Ct.
August 10, 2014, 01:31 AM
I wanted to move the front sight a little. Ended up going to a smith with a bigger hammer.

thefish
August 10, 2014, 10:54 AM
I tried a soldering iron on the set screw but it didn't work. So I resorted to light heating with a propane torch. Screw came out no problem. But it does take some banging to get the rear sight out with a hammer and a punch. Make sure you have th slide protected and in a vice and push the correct way because its dovetail in a taper. There are some good YouTube videos out there on removal.

kcofohio
August 10, 2014, 02:57 PM
Here is a video from Apex Tactical showing a kit installation. At the about 15 minute mark, is where they start showing the removal of the rear sight. Very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuVeqLc-ESU&feature=youtu.be

Theohazard
August 10, 2014, 03:32 PM
^^^ That's the video I used when I installed my Apex kit. Excellent video.

JWH321
August 10, 2014, 04:26 PM
I screwed mine down real tight in a sight pusher then too a little brass hammer and tapped it a bit as I continued to turn the pusher. It finally moved, but it was really tight. I didn't put it back together that tight. Once it starts to move, it loosen up quickly and there is little chance of you launching the striker block spring or its little flat plate. Even if you do, all that will happen is that you will get to crawl around on your hands and knees for a half hour finding it (it may take you less time).

340PD
August 11, 2014, 12:34 PM
For a $20 dollar bill my smith installed my set of Ameriglo i-Dots front and rear. Much easier than banging with my hammer, punch, and my vise.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/Shield8_zps05cd8f1c.jpg

thefish
August 12, 2014, 12:23 AM
If your worried about launching the spring, pit it in a ziplock first. But if you go slow, your chances of launching it are pretty slim if you know it's there.

This video is pretty good

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WHYjhKgemnY

thefish
August 12, 2014, 12:27 AM
While your in there if you polish a few parts it does wonders for the trigger.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DdhVsHea85I

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6_r-J4zAJHo

wally
August 13, 2014, 03:18 PM
I didn't have any trouble replacing the rear sights on my Shield 9 & 40 with Trijicon RMR optics. Just remove the set screw and be careful of the little spring for the firing pin block underneath. If in remember correctly you need to drive it out from right to left as there is a slight taper to the dovetail, which is why drifting the front is the recommend way to adjust windage if needed.

So I resorted to light heating with a propane torch
You should remove the striker assembly first, as you can easily melt the plastic retainer the holds the striker spring.

340PD
August 14, 2014, 11:52 AM
Go over to the S&W forums and search "rear sight removal Shield". Horror stories ten times to one easy removal. The rear sight on the Shield is famous in it's difficulty to remove without proper tools and no, a hammer and punch does not seem to be one of them.

HeavyDuty
August 16, 2014, 05:54 PM
My first Shield was a 40, and the rear sight was so tight that I finally took a hacksaw to it since I was replacing it with night sights anyway. Took all of ten minutes to saw straight down to within about 0.050" of the bottom of the dovetail, and then the sight tapped right out. This was after trying Kroil, freezing and beating the hell out of it with a steel punch.

I've replaced sights on several M&Ps, but nothing has been as tight as that Shield rear! To make matters worse, I just picked up a second Shield yesterday and have to do it all over again.

I would *not* try removing a tight M&P sight using just a pusher. I have a MGW pusher, and it is not a good choice for moving stock M&P sights until you knock them loose with a punch.

HeavyDuty
September 2, 2014, 01:54 AM
I should post an update - the new Shield sights popped right out with no drama, beating or foul language. Probably the easiest of all my M&P sights to remove so far.

It must be all the clean living...

viking499
September 2, 2014, 09:53 AM
HeavyDuty, did you go right to left or left to right?

340PD
September 3, 2014, 10:21 AM
Left to right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHYjhKgemnY

HeavyDuty
September 4, 2014, 02:14 PM
What he said. Left to right from the perspective of the shooter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shield rear site" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!