Damned coyotes..recommendations for electronic predator calls?

PDA

MCgunner
August 14, 2014, 02:36 PM
Well, I lost two more chickens, my red rooster and my old red hen. Still have my 3 banty hens, banty rooster, and one red hen left. I'm heating up my newly bought and never yet used incubator to try and raise some more.

This morning, I let the dog out the front door (65 lb female Lab). I'm getting ready to take a bath and I here her barking angrily in the back yard. Looked out there and there's a coyote, broad daylight about 9AM standing in the back yard pacing looking for a way to my chickens who are all squawking on the back porch. Dog ran it off before I could make it to the back door with my shotgun, dangit. Found the old hen's feathers, but the rooster's remains have yet to be found, probably out in the woods a ways.

So, now I'm thinkin' about taking up coyote hunting, getting an electronic call. Guess I could just get a mouth call, but I see electronic calls for well under 100 bucks around. Anyone got any recommendations on such? I've tried predator calling a few times, never shot anything. But, we've got way too many around here for my liking and, hell, I figure I might as well start a new hobby, right? I don't like night hunting, but don't have to stay out all night and I'll just be hunting about 200 yards into the woods behind the house, after all. And, heck, I could run in to a hog while I'm coyote hunting. I was thinkin' of clamping my green light to my .22 mag's scope, but with the possibility of a hog, I might just put it on the .308 and go for overkill on the yotes. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Damned coyotes..recommendations for electronic predator calls?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
returningfire
August 14, 2014, 04:26 PM
The Cass Creek Waggler is what I use, fairly inexpensive. There are better ones but they can set you back a lot of bucks.

MCgunner
August 14, 2014, 04:33 PM
There are better ones but they can set you back a lot of bucks.

Yeah, looking around at bass pro and Cabela's sites, I noticed that. Some of 'em are 5-600 bucks.:what: I ain't THAT made at the yotes. Could get a mouth call, I guess, had 'em before, but never really got in to using 'em. But, then, never had a place so over-run with yotes, before and never had 'em eating my chickens.

I've seen these electronic things at Wallyworld for cheap, 30 bucls. Then I ran across this, remote and all.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Game-Calls/Predator-Calls-Miscellaneous%7C/pc/104791680/c/104725980/sc/104513580/Johnny-Stewart-Attractor-Calls/708404.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fpredator-calls-miscellaneous%2F_%2FN-1100098%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104513580%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104791680%253Bcat104725980&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104725980%3Bcat104513580

alsaqr
August 14, 2014, 04:38 PM
The Cass Creek Waggler is what I use, fairly inexpensive. There are better ones but they can set you back a lot of bucks.

The Waggler works well for me too. Also have another Cass Creek call that works well.

http://www.casscreek.com/store/c/138-Electronic-Game-Calls.aspx

MtnCreek
August 14, 2014, 06:06 PM
Chicken + twine + wood stake.

wankerjake
August 14, 2014, 08:02 PM
The FoxPro Spitfire can be had for $100-150 used I think, FoxPro warranty and customer service supposed to be top notch too. You can't go wrong with FoxPro.

Hand calls work too and are cheaper. The TT Extreme by to Tony Tebbe is outstanding. The promos Lil' Dog is also productive and you can buy it with an instructional DVD by Randy Anderson that is good info for someone getting started.

MCgunner
August 14, 2014, 08:35 PM

Already thought of that, but they're the wife's pets.

witchhunter
August 14, 2014, 10:22 PM
You can get a mouth call for just a few bucks, I like Burnham Bros. Sounds like you won't have to locate them, you know where they are......

MCgunner
August 15, 2014, 12:29 AM
Yeah, we're swimming in 'em down here. To affirm this, all I have to do is walk out on the back porch at dusk or dawn and listen.

Water-Man
August 15, 2014, 01:26 AM
allpredatorcalls.com is alot cheaper.

MtnCreek
August 15, 2014, 10:14 AM
Already thought of that, but they're the wife's pets.
Hunting together is a bonding experience. The wife may be proud that little Cluckie and you are spending so much time together. :)

Check out this site:
http://www.varmintal.net/ahunt.htm

I have a turbo dog. I don't really have anything to compare it to, so I can't say if it's a good caller or not. I can say the range has not been as far as advertised.

If you have any fields that need clipping, take a rifle with you on the tractor. I've killed more yotes bush hogging than calling.

Good luck, I hope you kill them all!

buck460XVR
August 15, 2014, 10:57 AM

Don't know what the regs are in MC's state, but here, using a live animal or meat as bait for anything is illegal.

Art Eatman
August 15, 2014, 01:29 PM
Texas is very, very loose when it comes to predator hunting. When on your own land, you don't even need a hunting license.

Me being lazy, I'd build a 4'x4' cage in the yard, in view of a window where I could set a comfy chair and read a book. Take the screen off the window. Ensure that it could be opened very quietly. Put chicken in cage. Sit. Read. See coyote? Open window. Shoot coyote. :D

MCgunner
August 15, 2014, 02:30 PM
LOL, Art, already have that set up. :D I'm just thinkin' I would get a little night hunting in when it's only 90 degrees out at 10PM and maybe have some fun at it with a caller.

Actually, I got up before sun up this morning and just sat in the living room lookin' out the window, shotgun in hand. Nothing this AM. Did harvest an egg for the incubator. Gonna be interesting to see what a Rhode Island Red/Banty cross looks like. :D I've seen him chasing her and he's got no competition, now.

jmorris
August 15, 2014, 09:16 PM
I built one using the info on varmit Al's page years ago.

http://www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm

I had a mp3 player already, thanks to kids getting IPods. The rest was well under $100.

leadcounsel
August 15, 2014, 09:23 PM
Correction - "were the wife's pets."

Perhaps build a fence? You can't feasibly kill every threat (hawks, yotes, stray dogs, etc.), but you can enclose the chickens to relative safety, maybe let them out under supervision.

wankerjake
August 16, 2014, 03:28 AM
As a participant of both, I must say killing coyotes is WAY more fun than building fences.

Bobson
August 16, 2014, 05:43 AM
Me being lazy, I'd build a 4'x4' cage in the yard, in view of a window where I could set a comfy chair and read a book. Take the screen off the window. Ensure that it could be opened very quietly. Put chicken in cage. Sit. Read. See coyote? Open window. Shoot coyote. :D
You're a wise man, Art. :D That's smart hunting, right there.

jmorris
August 16, 2014, 11:42 AM
If you don't want to sit around an wait on them, I build some game radios a number of years ago that will alert to motion. I used them for hunting hogs and the recorder had the radios location stored in it to play back when they were there.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/attachment.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/attachment-1.jpg

If the coop is close enough to the house he could use one of the cheap driveway alerts.

MCgunner
August 16, 2014, 06:18 PM
Well, I do have motion detectors good to 400 feet. Thought about putting one out.

Wife wanted to get out today, so we drove to Sugar Land/Gander Mountain and I picked up one of these.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flextone-Double-Up-Predator-Combo-Calls/21345858

jmorris
August 16, 2014, 10:21 PM
Well, I do have motion detectors good to 400 feet. Thought about putting one out.

That is about all my driveway alert is good for. I have used the radios, like the one above, at 2.5 miles before.

buck460XVR
August 17, 2014, 01:22 PM

Wife wanted to get out today, so we drove to Sugar Land/Gander Mountain and I picked up one of these.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flextone-Double-Up-Predator-Combo-Calls/21345858

Probably will work well. Any 'yote desperate enough to go close to human habitation during daylight hours, with a dog barking at them and allow those humans to get within a stone throw, will more than likely respond quickly to a predator call. Either you will get them or they will get the message to stay away.

351 WINCHESTER
August 17, 2014, 01:50 PM
What Art said in post no. 13. Good luck Gunner and God bless.

Art Eatman
August 17, 2014, 09:55 PM
This is the sort of deal I had in mind when I did Post #13. The view out the window while sitting at the computer:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=147917&d=1314237660

See the post at the edge of the grass? I've had coyotes come up the draw to check on edibles. :)

MCgunner
August 17, 2014, 10:47 PM
Well, lost the last red hen. Dangit. Still got the Bantys. I sat out on the back porch for a while this evening with my .22 mag, light attached to the scope, and squalled on the rabbit call. Dog was barking earlier, might have run off anything that was out there. Don't know, but there'll be more serious efforts in the future. Neat thing, though, every time I squall on the call, the chickens go to clucking roosting on the back porch. Clucking hens can't hurt the attraction sounds. :D One of 'em is out in the hutch locked in. She went in there to lay and I locked her in last week. :D

The Bantys fly like friggin' big quail, eggs ain't much bigger, either. ;rolleyes: But, they seem to have a better chance at getting away.

I gotta wait for cooler weather. 8 O'Clock at night it's like a sauna out there. Ain't rained in a while, so at least the skeeters ain't bad. But, I can't sit out too long in this heat and humidity.

OH_Spartan
August 17, 2014, 11:23 PM
I feel your pain. I have never lost a bird to a coyote but have lost dozens to other predators over the years. I have found a coop with hardware cloth buried around the perimeter to be the best for nocturnal critters. For the bold, day time predators, we trained our lab to be tolerant of the birds. She spends the day where the birds free range and we haven't lost a chicken on her watch.

If you have a brazen attacker, a caged bait like Art described would work. If your wife can't stand seeing one of her pets caged as bait, then buy one from a local farmer and let it be her pet after the coyote is gone.

Last advice.....when you successfully dispatch your predator, feed the heart liver and kidneys to your birds. The protein is great for them and you get the sublime pleasure of orchestrating a role-reversal.

SimplyChad
August 19, 2014, 02:49 AM
MCgunner ill come down and try out my new 223...... also I might have known guys far far away in a distant land who used spider line and a couple of 7/0 fish hooks to kill yotes. Not a good way to go but you'll know when you got one on line.

Art Eatman
August 19, 2014, 12:46 PM
Nah, the spider-line thing is addressed "To Whom It May Concern". Bad for neighbor's dog.

But enough on that subject. :)

MCgunner
August 19, 2014, 07:04 PM
Dang, well, I penned up what I have left, banty rooster and 2 hens. All else is gone. No more free ranging for a while until I can nab the culprit. I'll just watch the pen and keep the shotgun handy, maybe get up early a few mornings and sit and watch. It gets a little cooler out, I'll go out and sit with my .22 mag and blow on that rabbit call some.

Art Eatman
August 20, 2014, 12:00 AM
Some neighbors of mine were fed up with being awakened by coyote howls. They were told that if they fed the coyotes, there would be no more howling. They bought a bag of the cheapest dog food they could find. Fed out about a pound at a time, just across a two-foot-high rock wall at the edge of the yard.

It didn't take long for the local coyote family to become accustomed to showing up for dinner, every day about 5PM or so. From their front porch, you see one or two sitting on the far creek bank from the house, wating to be served din-din.

Put out food. Tap tin can on wall. Go back and sit on the porch. Coyotes would come and take one morsel at a time and rear up to look over the wall while chewing.

No more howling.

So, try the dog food bait thing, maybe.

jmorris
August 21, 2014, 11:56 AM
You might at least put up a game camera so you can find out "what and when".

It is generally past my bed time when my camera here at the house takes pics of them.

redneck
August 22, 2014, 09:45 PM
I have a "Johnny Stewart Attractor" call I picked up at cabelas for about $50. Its remote control with 5 pre set call sounds. Volume has to be set at the speaker, the remote has start, stop, and changes sounds.
I have only gotten to take mine out in the woods and play with it once and I didn't see anything but it seems to have plenty of volume and surprisingly good sound quality for such a small speaker.

Cypress
August 27, 2014, 06:27 PM
I'm sure you are aware but coyotes will eat most fruits as quick as they will a chicken. I have a pear tree in my lab pen and every year I have coyotes digging in to get them. Even with the threat of 3 labs present. Usually once they get started it's an every night affair. I would suggest making a bait pile of some overripe fruit and posting up one night. I usually just leave enough light on to illuminate the area well enough to take the shot. Fortunately for me the pear tree is directly in front of a window. I can sip cold beer and wait in comfort. The last few years I have just picked all the pears and chunked them over the fence though. Old yotes just trying to make a living. Chickens would be little different though.

walker944
August 27, 2014, 06:56 PM
I bought the ICOtec Call of the Wild GC300 Electronic Game Call a couple of years ago, and have had good success with it. I bought mine on Amazon. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/ICOtec-Call-Wild-GC300-Electronic/dp/B00844Q3XC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1409176291&sr=1-1&keywords=ICOtec+Call+of+the+Wild+GC300

If you enjoyed reading about "Damned coyotes..recommendations for electronic predator calls?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!