suppressors

PDA

pitime
August 22, 2014, 12:39 PM
if i pay the $200 tax stamp and pass the background checks to get a suppressor

must i register it with every gun i use it on and pay additional tax stamps for each gun? or can i use it on any of my guns and i just have to pay a new tax stamp for a new suppressor?

If you enjoyed reading about "suppressors" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DPris
August 22, 2014, 12:47 PM
You pay the $200 stamp ONCE, for the suppressor, and stick it on any gun you want.
Denis

HRnightmare
August 26, 2014, 10:50 AM
What he said ^

You pay the stamp to take possession of the suppressor. It does not matter what gun or how many guns the suppressor gets attached to. Nor does it matter what caliber the gun it is attached to is.

Theohazard
August 26, 2014, 12:51 PM
Nor does it matter what caliber the gun it is attached to is.Just to clarify for anyone not familiar with silencers: It doesn't matter what caliber from a legal standpoint, but it definitely matters from a technical standpoint. Putting a 5.56 silencer on a .308 is perfectly legal, but you won't have a working silencer for very long ;).

MasterSergeantA
August 26, 2014, 12:54 PM
Just to clarify for anyone not familiar with silencers: It doesn't matter what caliber from a legal standpoint, but it definitely matters from a technical standpoint. Putting a 5.56 silencer on a .308 is perfectly legal, but you won't have a working silencer for very long ;).
Very good point. One would presume that it needn't be said, but these days...

HRnightmare
August 26, 2014, 03:49 PM
Just to clarify for anyone not familiar with silencers: It doesn't matter what caliber from a legal standpoint, but it definitely matters from a technical standpoint. Putting a 5.56 silencer on a .308 is perfectly legal, but you won't have a working silencer for very long .

Haha probably best that you clarified that. I was purely talking about from a legal / tax stamp perspective.

YES, please do not shoot a .308 out of a .22 can. It's gonna do some damage to the can.

Arizona_Mike
August 26, 2014, 03:52 PM
No need to tax/register the weapons. As a legal fiction the silencer is considered a "firearm".

Mike

boricua9mm
August 26, 2014, 04:55 PM
Suppressor owners neglected to tell me that once I had a suppressor, I would be spending lots of money buying threaded barrels for anything and everything that could potentially be a host for the aforementioned suppressor.

A $1,000 sunken cost on a suppressor can easily lead to an additional $1,000 worth of threaded barrels.

Telekinesis
August 26, 2014, 06:02 PM
Suppressor owners neglected to tell me that once I had a suppressor, I would be spending lots of money buying threaded barrels for anything and everything that could potentially be a host for the aforementioned suppressor.

A $1,000 sunken cost on a suppressor can easily lead to an additional $1,000 worth of threaded barrels.

You think that's bad - wait until you start buying guns JUST to be a suppressor host. I built a .300 Blk SBR just because I didn't have a host for my .30 cal suppressor!

If you enjoyed reading about "suppressors" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!