Handgun that will eat ANTHING!!!

PDA

JeeperCreeper
August 23, 2014, 03:43 AM
Hello THR members,

I'm a long time reader, first time poster... But having searched far and wide, I have not been able to find a specific thread on my current issue: finding a firearm that will digest even the gnarliest/dirtiest/crummiest of ammo/handloads.

Long story short, here is my situation: I have a large (very, very, very, very large) collection of 9x19mm and 45 ACP handloads that I inherited from my grandfather a few years ago. These rounds include cast bullets, semi wadcutters, wadcutters, and other contraptions of death that havent been used since the 40's. The rounds themselves are dirty and nasty, but after some cleaning they are very shootable (range use only).

However, my ParaOrdnance P14 1911 .45 struggles with anything that is not factory ammo. My Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertible even has a hard time squeezing the .45 ACP rounds out quickly. In 9mm, my Star 30M (my go-to beater pistol) has even choked on a few of the 9mm rounds that have no less than crippled any other mortal firearms.

My question to you all is: what autoloader can digest any type of round you can throw in it?? Obviously, Glocks need not apply due to their rifling, but I am open to all sugestions as I want to sling some lead at the range. I'd appreciate specifics such as chamber dimensions, feed ramp angles, extractor strength, etc. to further validate your Point of View...

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun that will eat ANTHING!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tarosean
August 23, 2014, 03:50 AM
Your only complaint about your Ruger is it's not fast enough?

If they are choking your most reliable gun then. I would suggest a 9mm revolver and slow down... :)

sigma 40ve
August 23, 2014, 04:07 AM
S&w 4506

JeeperCreeper
August 23, 2014, 04:11 AM
The problem with the Blackhawk is that it doesnt use moon clips... the cylinder has a ledge that the casing rests on. The ammo is reloaded which has caused the brass to be slightly lengthened. This causes the brass to grind slightly on my Ruger when the cylinder rotates... which makes me nervous. Not sure if that makes sense, but without dropping about $700 on another .45 or 9mm revolver that takes moonclips(I'm a poor grad student, which means I'm a poor college kid with bigger bills), I am SOL.

I just want some peoples opinions on good autoloaders

bannockburn
August 23, 2014, 08:05 AM
My brother use to have a SIG P228 that was my test gun for 9mm. handloads.This gun fed everything, from light loads to ones where overall case length was a little over or a little under, without a single problem.

ku4hx
August 23, 2014, 08:23 AM
Sounds to me like your "reloads" are out of spec. For semi auto cartridges to feed reliably, they need to be in spec: Cartridge overall length for the bullet in question and proper loaded round case neck diameter. Cartridges that headspace on the forward edge of the case need a taper crimp (as opposed to a roll crimp most older dies sets offer) and then just enough to remove case flare.

Before you go blaming the guns, get a $25 caliper and do a little measuring of grandfathers OAL and neck diameter.

Since 1970 I've loaded more rounds than most people will believe. Unless the chamber is defective, proper case specs solves many feeding issues. You have to understand though, not ever gun will reliably feed every bullet profile. Some guns are just picky, and the first thing you need to do is eliminate dimensional problems. Then you can concentrate on what works/doesn't work for a given gun.

19-3Ben
August 23, 2014, 09:22 AM
In my experience, the old Ruger P series guns would "eat ANYTHING."
Might be worth finding a P90 and a P89. Those guns just plain can't be stopped.

A few others have similar reputations, but I don't have experience with them.
My M&P9 ate anything I ever fed it, but I only ever fed it good quality factory stuff, so that's not really indicative.

freq18hz
August 23, 2014, 09:27 AM
Get a glock. If you are worried about the barrel rifling, get an aftermarket barrel.

-Freq

jakk280rem
August 23, 2014, 09:32 AM
Older Ruger alloy frame "P" series and 3rd Gen S&W's top the list.

The Lone Haranguer
August 23, 2014, 09:40 AM
finding a firearm that will digest even the gnarliest/dirtiest/crummiest of ammo/handloads.

No such thing exists. Even a revolver, can be tied up if, for example, an unburned powder granule (because the powder is so old/deteriorated) gets under the extractor star. And for all we know, the next round you fire might be a squib (the powder doesn't burn at all) or, worse, a gross overload.

Personally, I recommend you put the rest of it away as a keepsake, pull the bullets and powder and salvage the cases (if they aren't excessively corroded) for reloading or whatever else floats your boat, but keep it out of your guns. Every time the gun malfunctions, no matter how much your rational mind tries to tell you otherwise, it decreases your confidence in it.

maxxhavoc
August 23, 2014, 10:03 AM
In all seriousness, if I had all that ammo to use, I would get a Hi-point. They are reliable, cheap, and you won't worry as much about old reloads, since Hi-point will fix just about anything you can do to it. And they are darn near indestructible anyway.

Of course, it it was me, it would be a carbine...

JeeperCreeper
August 23, 2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks for all the posts everyone. The knowledge and wisdom of THR never ceases to amaze me. To answer some of the posts, my uncle checked the specs on some of the cartridges and they are borderline. However, I want a range toy gun and the guns I rely on get the good ammo treatment. I just see it as a waste not to try and shoot the many years worth of ammo I have sitting around.

If any one else has other garbage disposal pistols, feel free to post :). And if anyone wants to question my judgment, feel free to critique!!!

cosh
August 23, 2014, 10:28 AM
+1 on a Hi-Point. It might get dirty and need a cleaning, but as the other post mentions, warranty outstanding . If it breaks they fix it.

Another option for 9mm is a Canik or Tristar if you find one on sale. I have a Tristar C100 and it eats everything I put through it. - cosh

Ryushin
August 23, 2014, 10:57 AM
Don't forget about Beretta 92 series as they are made to eat just about any 9x19. Our troops depend on them.

Also, the glock also has a fairly loose chamber and it should be able to chamber even out of spec 9mm. Resizing cases for reloading shot by a glock requires some muscle to get the brass back into spec.

rule303
August 23, 2014, 11:15 AM
My Taurus PT99 will eat anything I have stuffed in the mag. Lead bullet reloads, milsurp, +p, even a mag full of .380's (oops).
1911's can be pretty picky about what they will cycle. I would think a 3rd gen Smith or Ruger P90 would be more reliable with a variety of ammo.

jhb
August 23, 2014, 11:26 AM
I find this common complaint interesting. I have well over 40+ handguns old and new designs. All brands. All calibers. None choke on any ammo. I often wonder if this is more often than not a reload issue not as much of a factory ammo brand issue?

RustyShackelford
August 23, 2014, 11:53 AM
I would go the other way & look for a S&W 625 .45acp DA revolver. ;)
Author, sworn LE officer & tactics trainer, Massad Ayoob once wrote that a good .45acp revolver was handy as a bullet-puller ;) for .45acp rounds that may be old, dirty or sketchy.
.45acp revolvers aren't cheap or easy to find but a few used guns may be out there or you can order one from a FFL holder.

HK USPs are decent. They are milspec & can handle many types of .45acp. They got the Mk 23 mod 0 .45acp spec ops contract. The big Mark 23 wasn't very popular with tier one units, but it shot nearly any kind of .45acp. ;)

Ruger's out of production P90 .45acp is well known for its robust design. It's been compared to a Ford F150 pick-up. :)

Rusty
www.gunsamerica.com www.slickguns.com www.gilbertsguns.com www.gunsinternational.com

TimboKhan
August 23, 2014, 11:55 AM
There is no way to say for sure that something will eat anything, but I have never owned a more reliable firearm than a Ruger P90. It did eat everything, including reloads that stopped up every other pistol on the line one day years ago.

jolly roger
August 23, 2014, 12:04 PM
My 4506 will feed empty casings...seriously

John828
August 23, 2014, 12:05 PM
Same with my 3906 and 5906

ApacheCoTodd
August 23, 2014, 12:20 PM
Sounds like you're looking for a weapon to abuse just because you have this "free" ammo. It isn't free if you have to buy a particular firearm in which to shoot it and then commence to beat up that firearm.

Analogous to this would be if your Grandfather had given you a bunch of old/drain oil or gas and you needed to go out and buy a crummy old pickup truck that doesn't care about fuel/lubricant quality.

Pull the components apart, save what you can identify and drive on.

I just finally started shooting (and stopped) a pile of .38 wadcutter that came my way on the cheap. It was so gawd-awful that I figured free was too expensive and salted it away again till I feel like dealing with it.

Onward Allusion
August 23, 2014, 12:20 PM
All my 3rd Gen Smiths will eat anything, including empty cases. Gotta get me one of those old Ruger P series!

bds
August 23, 2014, 12:32 PM
finding a firearm that will digest even the gnarliest/dirtiest/crummiest of ammo/handloads.
No such thing exists.
They do exist.

If any one else has other garbage disposal pistols, feel free to post
For 45ACP, RIA Tactical/M&P45/Taurus PT145.

A friend's RIA Tactical has generous tapered chamber that will feed and fully chamber sloppy lead SWC reloads. Even more surprising is that it will maintain accuracy with my tight chambered Sig 1911 out to 15 yards (~1" shot group). I consider RIA "Glock" of 1911.

My M&P45 and Taurus PT145 SA/DA will also feed and fully chamber sloppy lead SWC reloads. Both have more generous chambers and slower start of rifling with longer leade to allow this.

swiftak
August 23, 2014, 12:37 PM
Ruger P89 9mm will eat everything.

RustyShackelford
August 23, 2014, 12:45 PM
As a teen in the 1980s, I recall a Guns & Ammo issue that had a cover article about the "new" Smith & Wesson third generation series of semi auto pistols.
One of the big points, the magazine writer added was how the new S&W models could cycle(feed) empty cases. :eek:
That was impressive.
My friend in Penn Hills PA owns a few Ruger pistols. A P97 .45acp, a P89 9x19mm & I think he has a either P94 or P90. ;)
He's very happy with the P89 & P97 saying they can fire nearly any factory or reloaded round he runs thru them.

Rusty

460Kodiak
August 23, 2014, 12:53 PM
My HK 45 eats all jacketed ammo, but the rifling won't work for you.

Personally, I won't shoot other people's reloads, no matter who they come from.

Jaymo
August 23, 2014, 01:53 PM
My Star M45 Firestar eats anything.
I keep telling myself I'm going to sell it.
Then, I take it shooting and remember why I keep it.
If you have a.45 ACP Ruger BH, you already have a perfect "remote control drill" (totally stole that term from Massad Ayoob) for shooting the .45 ammo.

My Ruger SR9 has been boringly reliable.

A 3rd Gen Smith auto in 9mm and/or .45 is always a great choice, as is a Ruger P series.

herrwalther
August 23, 2014, 02:13 PM
Get a glock. If you are worried about the barrel rifling, get an aftermarket barrel.

So your solution is to spend $400-$600 on a used/new Glock in addition to a $250 aftermarket barrel to shoot reloads? Doesn't sound very economical.

Get something older. I had a Ruger P94 a few years back and was a very reliable firearm. Even fired reloads I bought at a gun show and didn't know any better.

CWL
August 23, 2014, 02:25 PM
Only gun that came to mind is older Ruger P series as well.

ku4hx
August 23, 2014, 03:10 PM
...checked the specs on some of the cartridges and they are borderline ...
Pull the barrels from the guns and start doing "plunk" tests. A good round should drop completely into the chamber with an slight "plunk" sound and then fall freely out when the barrel is inverted. If you hear the "plunk", press on the round and see if it will still drop freely out. If you don't hear the round click fully into the chamber you should suspect it's not right for that chamber.

All chambers are different and what passes the test in one chamber might not pass in another.

bds
August 23, 2014, 03:11 PM
So your solution is to spend $400-$600 on a used/new Glock in addition to a $250
$250?

You can get a Lone Wolf aftermarket barrel for around $100 - http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=Lone+Wolf+barrels

Cornhusker77
August 23, 2014, 04:18 PM
My Ruger P345 eats some 20 year old cast lead reloads my dad left and everything else I ever fed through it.

akarguy
August 23, 2014, 04:25 PM
Ruger P95... 1000s of rounds from brown bear and other dirty Russian steel to factory new brass. Fast and slow fire. Not one jam or FTE of FTF. Eats hollow point defense rounds too. Get one before they are discontinued. And if you prefer no polymer, find a P89

akarguy
August 23, 2014, 04:27 PM
+1 on the P-series!

VA27
August 23, 2014, 05:12 PM
High Point. If you want retro-cool too, find an H&K VP70. I wish they'd made 'em in 45.

Pilot
August 23, 2014, 06:32 PM
While all my semi autos have been ultra reliable, I suspect my four Makarovs (E.G, Bulgie, Russian Commercial) will never hiccup on anything.

19-3Ben
August 23, 2014, 10:15 PM
Ruger P95...Get one before they are discontinued.

Well, we're a day late and a dollar short on that. fortunately it was only DCed not long ago so they can still be had NIB without too much looking.

19-3Ben
August 23, 2014, 10:16 PM
One of the big points, the magazine writer added was how the new S&W models could cycle(feed) empty cases.

My 1991A1 does that. Surprised the heck outta me when I first tried it.

JeeperCreeper
August 23, 2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the posts, guys.

It seems the consensus (at least for a pistol that I can afford) is the Ruger P-series, S&W 3rd generation, or even a hi point. I wish I could afford an HK or Sig or Colt 1991a1 at this point...

Anyone trying to sell some used firearms? :)
Anyone have any luck with the XD .45 service or SR45 with nasty ammo?

sigma 40ve
August 23, 2014, 10:50 PM
Forget the XD45 service. You have to experiment around to get it to fire SWC's I've been told. I know, I have one of the first 1000 they made of them. Never could get it to run with SWC's. Only thing it ever gets fed is ball ammo, when I do unpack it out of the safe, been 5 years now since it came out.

Like I said earlier S&W 4506 feeds anything. Hi Point 45 I own is unbelievably accurate.

JeeperCreeper
August 23, 2014, 10:55 PM
Sounds like you're looking for a weapon to abuse just because you have this "free" ammo. It isn't free if you have to buy a particular firearm in which to shoot it and then commence to beat up that firearm.

Analogous to this would be if your Grandfather had given you a bunch of old/drain oil or gas and you needed to go out and buy a crummy old pickup truck that doesn't care about fuel/lubricant quality.

Pull the components apart, save what you can identify and drive on.

I just finally started shooting (and stopped) a pile of .38 wadcutter that came my way on the cheap. It was so gawd-awful that I figured free was too expensive and salted it away again till I feel like dealing with it.
Yes, If I had the surplus amount of gasoline as I do ammo, I would be looking for a rugged vehicle to run. I would have no problem running awful, lacquered gas through a beater 1980's pickup... but that doesn't mean I would run it through one of my Jeeps

ritepath
August 23, 2014, 11:08 PM
Ruger P90.

FROGO207
August 23, 2014, 11:30 PM
I have a S&W 645 that will eat anything I have fed it--even empty sized cases. I also vote for the S&W 5906 or the Ruger P89 in a 9MM, both of these have also eaten anything I tried in them including empty cases. All of mine are SS but the blued models are the same as far as I know. I also have a Hi Point C9 that I tried to make choke by shooting all my crap ammo through it and NEVER cleaning it yet as an experiment. 4 years heavy use so far and it still shoots like a champ.:eek: I would recommend any of the above for reliability with a large variety of ammo within reason of course.

Fishbed77
August 23, 2014, 11:41 PM
My Walther P99AS has eaten absolutely everything I have fed it.

itchy1
August 24, 2014, 08:50 AM
Another vote for S&W 3rd gens. There's a picture of a 5906 next to the word "reliable" in the dictionary. :D

Storm
August 24, 2014, 09:02 AM
S&w 645.

Robbins290
August 24, 2014, 09:18 AM
S&w 4506 or sig p220

JDGray
August 24, 2014, 10:32 AM
Guns of mine that have never ever choked on anything, never a failure of any kind?? Not even a magazine issue? Not even my hitting a safety or slide stop to cause a malf?

G17
G26
G23
G21
G19
Sig 220
M&P45
XDM40
XD9
SA Loaded
SA1911 Mil-spec
LCP
P32
CZ40B
CZ P01
CZ 75B Compact
CZ75B
S&W SC Commander
M&P9

Guns of mine that eat anything but easy to cause a malf? Locking open with ammo in the mag, Slide not holding open

Sig 226
Sig 239
CW9
CZ75B SA
Kimber Ultra Carry II

Guns of mine that failed me, broke stuff, needed warranty work

P11
P345
Kimber Ultra Carry II

bds
August 24, 2014, 10:35 AM
Anyone have any luck with the XD .45 service ... with nasty ammo?
Forget the XD45 service ... Never could get it to run with SWC's.
XD45 had a flat slide rib that did not push down on the top round in the magazine enough so the extracting case rim would hit the shoulder of the SWC bullet - resulting in jams.

This issue was corrected in the XDM45 models which have deeper protruding slide rib so the top round in the magazine is pushed down enough for the extracting case rim to clear the SWC shoulder.

If you are looking for SWC reload friendly pistols, as I posted in post #23 M&P45, RIA 1911 and PT145 are all SWC friendly :D - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=9589809#post9589809

Jim Watson
August 24, 2014, 10:54 AM
I'd try a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die before I bought a new gun (and which of the many mentioned here?) to shoot up Gramp's reloads.

bds
August 24, 2014, 11:54 AM
But Jim, that wasn't the OP's premise.

I agree that Lee FCD is a viable option but why would THR members take away an excuse to buy another firearm? ;)

I can just hear THR members telling their significant others, "Honey, now that I have match grade tight 1911s, I need "combat grade" pistols that will EAT ANYTHING" :D

GLOOB
August 24, 2014, 05:08 PM
Obviously, Glocks need not apply due to their rifling,
Grab some calipers and a bullet puller. Pull a few different headstamps from each of your 9mm reloads and measure the diameter at the base of the bullet.

If the diameter is greater than .356, and if the lead isn't too hard, a Glock barrel will more than likely shoot them clean as a whistle. Glock barrels are my cleanest shooting barrels. I never have to clean them when shooting cast. Not the chambers, not the throats, not the bores. I don't shoot x number of rounds between cleanings. I just keep shooting and shooting. I've surpassed 3k cast rounds in the Glock 9mm, and the inside of the barrel still passes for new.

Having said that, most people's 9mm reloads will measure smaller at the base, because the 9mm case swages the bullet. With typical mixed brass and normal seating depth you practically need a special expander to make good 9mm cast reloads. If the bases of the bullets are getting swaged to under .356, they may still shoot ok (not great) out of other guns, but they will lead a Glock, badly.

Glock 9mms have a generous chamber cut and a very generous throat/leade. If a reload with a bad crimp or OAL won't fit a Glock, then there aren't many guns around in which it will. If your cast reloads are fit for it (OD of the base of the bullet), the Glock could be the way to go.

jmr40
August 25, 2014, 03:15 PM
It'd still be Glock for me. They will shoot lead just fine. Just need to clean a little more vigorously after. 2nd choice would be a tie between 3rd gen S&W or Ruger P series.

Thompsoncustom
August 25, 2014, 07:03 PM
Indeed saying glocks won't work for lead because of the rifling is just wrong, If it's leading there's another problem besides the rifling. Now the Rifling does cause some problems in 9mm for example if you get above 147gr bullet like 160 to 170gr the rifling can't stabilize the bullet and for some reason my glock chokes up really hard on SWC while my other pistols don't but I've shot 600 rds of lead through the 17 without cleaning it and it probably didn't even need it.

No such a weapon, reloads can stop any pistol if there made wrong.

JDR
August 25, 2014, 10:37 PM
My Gen4 Glock 21 and Glock 22 both pass the steel case Tulammo test with flying colors, I wouldn't feed these "trash-cans" to any of my other guns on a dare! The local ranges won't let me use these anyway!

5-SHOTS
August 26, 2014, 07:21 AM
The most reliable guns I saw in action with bad handloads (in not particular order):
Beretta 92FS;
CZ SP-01;
Beretta Px4 Storm;
Walther P99 AS;
SIG-Sauer P226.

TimboKhan
August 30, 2014, 02:52 AM
"Combat grade" has always been good enough for me. A pretty gun would look like a bar of gold in a puddle of mud in my safe!

psyshack
August 30, 2014, 05:11 AM
That post is the truth. Measure the ammo. There are ways to correct sizing issue's. But what the heck you want pistols with sloppy chambers that will feed anything. Look no farther than Glock. My two favorite rounds are 10mm and .357 Sig. The only chamber I've ever seen from Glock done right is there .357 Sig barrels. I haven't shot one round through my G20's OEM worthless barrel. And I've seen enough Glocked brass in 9mm, .40 short and weak and .45acp. I've learned a NIB Glock is worth more NIB if they take there useless barrels out of them. If a whore loose Glock chamber won't chamber and fire a 1k rounds of grandfathers ammo, nothing new in the the current market won't.

INMY01TA
September 1, 2014, 07:34 PM
My XD45 and my M&P9c both fall into the "eat anything" family.

OilyPablo
September 1, 2014, 08:09 PM
Cz p-09.

19-3Ben
September 1, 2014, 09:45 PM
I haven't shot one round through my G20's OEM worthless barrel. And I've seen enough Glocked brass in 9mm, .40 short and weak and .45acp. I've learned a NIB Glock is worth more NIB if they take there useless barrels out of them. If a whore loose Glock chamber won't chamber and fire a 1k rounds of grandfathers ammo, nothing new in the the current market won't.

Well geez. Don't hold back so much! Tell us how you really feel! :p

Saleen322
September 1, 2014, 11:09 PM
Ok, I will be a contrarian. If the rounds are out of spec, you don't what the pistol to be able to shoot them. Only a pistol with such an over sized chamber would function with that stuff and it would not shoot anything with accuracy.

Jim Watson gave the best advice: I'd try a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die before I bought a new gun (and which of the many mentioned here?) to shoot up Gramp's reloads. That costs less than $20 and will push the over sized rounds back into spec. You can also then use it with your future handloads for a better finished product.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/716704/lee-carbide-factory-crimp-die-45-acp-45-auto-rim

thefamcnaj
September 2, 2014, 03:08 AM
My sig p229 will eat anything I put in it and my p220 will eat anything. So will my xdm 9mms. That said I've never tried to shoot random reloads out of any of them. I would be hesitant to do so.

TfflHndn
September 2, 2014, 05:31 PM
Stoeger Cougar. Mine eat anything I feed 'em.

JRC332
September 3, 2014, 07:49 PM
S&w 4506-1

1KPerDay
September 3, 2014, 07:52 PM
Throw that garbage ammo away... you're going to blow something up.

IMNSHO

Snowdog
September 3, 2014, 08:23 PM
I've been very lucky to have several firearms that refuse to choke on anything.

Two that stand out are also the least expensive of the pack.

The first is a Bersa UC9. It has seen some yucky stuff, including some rancid American Ammunition that was nothing less than garbage. Most was pulled for the copper plated bullets. I felt even that was a waste of time, but that's another story. Anyway, the UC9 chomped through what I had left and this same stuff that (my otherwise trusty) Kahr K9 puked on was fine through that pistol.

The second is my RIA 1911. My other 1911s will occasionally fail to feed my 200gr SWC (on occasion mind you, I'm not sloppy). However, this RIA 1911 works wonderfully with everything.

I do not own any pistols that are unreliable, but sometimes I'll stumble upon a particular round one of my pistol doesn't like. So far, I haven't found this round with either the RIA or UC9.

RIA far right
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8251/8585540066_32746771b2.jpg

UC9 center
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5069/5892354740_531b9b4bcd.jpg

Dr.Rob
September 3, 2014, 11:32 PM
Another vote for Ruger P series if you must shoot dubious oddball reloaded ammo because you can.

DeepSouth
September 3, 2014, 11:38 PM
My 4506 will feed empty casings...seriously
I have a Springfield 1911, a Sig p220, and XD40 that will do the same. The 1911 did jam once with a cheapo 8 round mag.

JeeperCreeper
September 24, 2014, 02:10 AM
Thank you everyone for the replies and advice. I definitely read every post with enthusiasm and interest. I wanted to update my situation if anyone cares or considers following this issue.

Recently, a favorite gun store of mine had a stellar deal on a Hi-Point .45 ($150) brand new. I bought it, because even if it is terrible, it's a cheap Hi-Point with a lifetime warranty, and it will be guilt free when I thrash it around.

Also, my girlfriend is buying me another new handgun for my birthday/christmas/valentines-day/every-other-holiday soon (yes, she's a keeper. A good way to get a new gun every year is have your significant other buy you one cheap gun that will be the gift for the entire ear. Easy for her, awesome for you). I will either be a CZ, a CZ clone, or a Ruger of some sort (P-95 or 9E) in 9mm.

For my Star and Para 1911, I have been working on the magazines, polishing the chambers, and looking to replace all the springs. The Para and my new 9mm will only have a diet of factory ammo. The Star will continue to be my range toy with the junk 9mm reloads and the Hi-Point will eat the junk .45 reloads.

My plans will be to range test all 4 against each other one final time in what I will call an "internal torture test" to see which gun will do the best eating only the nastiest of the nasty ammo. It will really prove nothing and serve no purpose, except to be fun, and maybe see which gun will be good if the world ends and only gnarly ammo exists in the wasteland.... yeah... I went there

I will post my findings and might make a video if it ends up being entertaining/funny. If the Hi-Point does best, then I might cry....

tiamat
September 25, 2014, 07:37 PM
make sure to have your Kleenex ready.

AustinTX
September 25, 2014, 07:50 PM
Beretta 92. Rounds feed almost directly into the non-tilting barrel rather than up a feed ramp, where crappy handloads can easily get hung up. Same holds true for the non-tilting barrel of the PX4.

tark
September 26, 2014, 09:48 PM
I have an Astra 400 which will feed anything up to and including empty cases! TOP THAT!

It especially likes 148 gr wadcutters intended for a 38 SPL.

I have had the gun for forty years, and have put over three thousand rounds of anything you can name through it. It has NEVER jammed once...EVER.

It is the most reliable auto pistol I have ever owned.

Now... If I could just figure out what it is good for....other than plinking...

stchman
September 26, 2014, 10:50 PM
Ruger P90.
Yes, my P90s chew up almost any ammo and spit it out.

stchman
September 26, 2014, 10:52 PM
My sig p229 will eat anything I put in it and my p220 will eat anything. So will my xdm 9mms. That said I've never tried to shoot random reloads out of any of them. I would be hesitant to do so.
Really, usually Sig people won't put anything but match grade ammo in their Sigs.

ahtoxa
September 26, 2014, 10:54 PM
Walther PPX. Eats all, including Russian steel case. 9mm. I also carry a S&W Shield in 9mm and it has eaten everything.

PPX - just over 2000 rounds fired

Shield - about 700 rounds fired

Robbins290
September 27, 2014, 08:55 AM
Really, usually Sig people won't put anything but match grade ammo in their Sigs.
Only match grade ammo in a sig? I must be different. I put what ever ammo i find down my sigs. Herters, wolf, any steel cased ammo. And very wide range of reloads. In thousands and thousands of rounds. Never had a hiccup

OilyPablo
September 27, 2014, 09:04 AM
Only match grade ammo in a sig? I must be different. I put what ever ammo i find down my sigs. Herters, wolf, any steel cased ammo. And very wide range of reloads. In thousands and thousands of rounds. Never had a hiccup
I thought surely he must be kidding. All my Sig firearms are probably the least particular. I certainly don't shoot trash ammo (define that yourself or insert garage sale home loads) but I do shoot plenty of low cost local factory ammo.

DeepSouth
September 27, 2014, 03:08 PM
Hopefully he was kidding, it's either that or reverse snobbery.
I shoot the cheapest avaliable ammo possible in my Sig, and it never fails.

PO2Hammer
September 28, 2014, 03:19 PM
In general, Sigs have been very good IME. In 9mm you can't beat a P226 for feed reliability, But my .45 auto P220 struggled with SWCs, so did my Glock 30 (plated and jacketed SWCs).

In .45 auto I think HK is the most reliable brand. SWCs, TCs, JHPs, everything feeds fine in a USP or HK45/45c. I haven't tried lead in my HK yet, but I wouldn't be afraid to use a good cast bullet in a pinch.

LouisianaAviator
September 29, 2014, 12:00 AM
My Ruger P95 has fed anything and everything I've put in it, including some very old, very questionable handloads. I believe Ruger stopped making them recently, but I bought mine new for $300 out the door about 6 years ago. I imagine you can find a used one for around that price or less.

That said, all ammo has to be reasonably within spec to work.

stchman
September 29, 2014, 07:39 PM
I thought surely he must be kidding. All my Sig firearms are probably the least particular. I certainly don't shoot trash ammo (define that yourself or insert garage sale home loads) but I do shoot plenty of low cost local factory ammo.
I am just kidding, I know a guy that won't let steel case ammo anywhere near his Sig.

Confederate
September 30, 2014, 12:07 AM
Long story short...I have a large (very, very, very, very large) collection of 9x19mm and 45 ACP handloads that I inherited from my grandfather a few years ago.
I haven't read all the replies, but I'd be hesitant (very, very, very hesitant) about shooting someone else's handloads, no matter how well you knew them. I've heard of incidents where people have popped other people's handloads into their guns only to have the gun turn into a hand grenade. Sometimes the handloader, if he suspects he's got an excess (or bad) load, will put it aside with other questionable loads. These loads can work their way back into the pool of other loads and can (and have) ruined peoples day.

A friend of mine passed and his wife gave me his handloaded ammo. After finding some cartridges with cracked cases (something I knew my friend would never shoot), I just got rid of the entire bunch. I didn't want to flinch every time I shot from his loads. And though Ruger has a reputation for strength in its revolvers, I would hate to shoot double charged rounds in my guns.

However, my ParaOrdnance P14 1911 .45 struggles with anything that is not factory ammo. My Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertible even has a hard time squeezing the .45 ACP rounds out quickly. In 9mm, my Star 30M (my go-to beater pistol) has even choked on a few of the 9mm rounds that have no less than crippled any other mortal firearms. My question to you all is: what autoloader can digest any type of round you can throw in it??

Smith & Wesson 645/4506
Smith & Wesson 659/5906
Beretta 92
Glocks (which I despise)
Sig Saur
Taurus PT92

Many guns nowadays shoot just fine. I think Glocks are overly dangerous and some jam when they're limp-wristed, though the new ones don't have that problem. And 1911 models are iffy and can range from "needs work" to absolute reliability.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Autos/SW5906645.jpg (http://s256.photobucket.com/user/jriler/media/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Autos/SW5906645.jpg.html)

Smith & Wesson 645 (top) and 5906.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Autos/SW659_20rounder.jpg (http://s256.photobucket.com/user/jriler/media/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Autos/SW659_20rounder.jpg.html)

Smith & Wesson 659 and 20-round clip.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Autos/SW457_1.jpg (http://s256.photobucket.com/user/jriler/media/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Autos/SW457_1.jpg.html)

Butt ugly and economical, but very reliable, this Smith 457 is a winner.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/Beretta/Taurus92_4a.jpg (http://s256.photobucket.com/user/jriler/media/Beretta/Taurus92_4a.jpg.html)

My Taurus PT92 not only is drop dead gorgeous, it's exceptionally reliable and
accurate. I'm not a big fan of Taurus, but this gun is a huge exception.
It's also got a rail, which I never use, and can be carried cocked and locked.

mattm0691
September 30, 2014, 12:15 AM
Any of the ruger P series pistols..

Cooldill
September 30, 2014, 12:15 AM
My Glock 19 Gen 4 has run the shadiest, dirtiest, surplus-iest, funkiest, hottest, loudest, steel case-iest, aluminum case-iest, brass case-iest, ever made or dug up and has eaten them all with aplomb.

JeeperCreeper
October 1, 2014, 03:44 AM
I have not done an "official" torture test yet but I honestly believe there is no point anymore. I took out my HiPoint .45 today and sent over 150 rounds down range. The gun is brand new and I decided not to even clean it from the factory (it's a HiPoint, who cares?). I sent about 50 rounds of factory ammo, Remington UMC 230 gr FMJ and Hornady Critical Duty +p HP through it without a hitch. Then after that warm up, I sent over 100 rounds of my grandfather's nasty cast loads. Not one jam. At all. Now, it isn't the nastiest batch that I have, but it definietly wasn't the cleanest batch either. There is no way another one of my handguns can compete so far. I think I am a HiPoint convert. I really don't know why I waited so long to purchase one, because it ran so flawlessly for such a cheap and ugly gun.

Also, I am hopefully purchasing a P95 tomorrow, and I will test it with the 9mm and report back. I will try to post pictures below from my phone to show the condition of the ammo

JeeperCreeper
October 1, 2014, 03:55 AM

The ugly HiPoint and some ugly bullets. The .45 rounds were placed next to the Remington UMC for reference. Clearly, these rounds are not too safe, but I like to live dangerously.

MachIVshooter
October 1, 2014, 02:24 PM
All my 3rd Gen Smiths will eat anything, including empty cases.

My experience as well. Even the stubby little CS45 isn't finicky. The 4506 has run everything from .45 GAP rounds to top .45 Super loads.

CZ223
October 2, 2014, 07:12 AM
especially the 4506, 4516, 4566 yada, yada, yada. I had a 4515-1 and it would indeed feed empty cases. The same goes for the 645 and the 4586 that I currently own. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if their 9mm's would do the same. The only problem is your cartridges could be out of spec. If the case has been stretched too much you would need to pull the bullets and trim the cases. If the bullets are seated too far out, and I doubt that is the problem, you could just set them back a little in a reloader. If they are not sized properly you can probably still resize them while loaded.

JeeperCreeper
October 2, 2014, 07:19 AM
I believe the cartridges are out of spec. The cases do not seat correctly in the cylinder of my .45ACP Blackhawk which leads me to believe it is the cases (I bought the revolver for the reason to shoot them, and they don't like to fit). However, the HiPoint I wrote about above seems to be digesting everything so far. Only time will tell.

I need to get one of those S&W 3rd gen guns. Everyone keeps posting about them and I have zero experience with them.

MachIVshooter
October 2, 2014, 10:49 AM
I need to get one of those S&W 3rd gen guns.

Yes, you do!

No respectable collection is complete without one! They are honestly about as close as you can get to indestructible in a production autoloader. I have six, many more on the want list.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Smith3rd.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/SW45s.jpg

Blackstone
October 2, 2014, 11:02 AM
Never had a single malfunction with my CZ 75

ClickClickD'oh
October 2, 2014, 11:07 AM
Okay, how about a voice of common sense... Don't shoot the ammo. Pull it into components.

You don't know what you have, you don't know how it was loaded but you do know it's troublesome in the guns you have.

Save your fingers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun that will eat ANTHING!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!