New (to me) Sig P228 - I got an old friend back!

August 25, 2014, 10:13 PM
I just picked up a nice Sig P228 at a decent price. I had one like it a few years back but had to sell it, and I regretted it ever since. But I have this one now and I plan on keeping it; shoots every bit as good as the 1st one and I even like the DA trigger pull on this one better than the first one!

This one came with only one 13 rd. factory mag, I live in PA so I want to score a few more 13 round factory mags, CDNN had them for around $40, then I'm good to go!

If you enjoyed reading about "New (to me) Sig P228 - I got an old friend back!" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
August 26, 2014, 10:52 PM
Look at MecGar mags for your p228. MecGar made them for Sig anyway - same/better quality at almost half the price of factory mags. Plus the MecGar labeled mags are 15 round, while their Sig factory versions are 13 round.

August 26, 2014, 11:31 PM

Thanks for the tip on the MecGar 15 rounders, just ordered 2 of these from MecGar!

August 26, 2014, 11:35 PM
No problem. That p228 is one of my favorites, if not the favorite.

My main complaint is that they are like Pringles ... you can't just have one :neener:

August 27, 2014, 03:21 PM
p.s. - you might want to check out Greg Cotes LLC or Top Gun Supply for good prices on MecGar items.

September 2, 2014, 11:56 AM
I just got the MecGar 15 rounders in the mail, these are the same as the Sig factory 13 rounder, except the factory mag is dimpled near the basepad to restrict 2 rounds. Now I'm good to go!

September 2, 2014, 09:33 PM
I have a Sig P228 West German version and could never part with it.

September 3, 2014, 08:27 AM
I also have a P228 and it is one of my favorite pistols. It is a classic SIG.

Rob G
September 3, 2014, 10:13 AM
A few years ago I was able to purchase a German made P228 that was retired from the Swiss State Police. Not only do I love i but literally everybody I've ever let shoot it has loved it. You've just scored a fantastic gun OP now get out there and shoot it! :D

September 3, 2014, 10:59 AM
Over the holiday weekend, this P228 cycled some TulAmmo BrassMaxx ammo beautifully, and my G-17 choked on the same stuff. I'm not going to make a habit of using marginal quality ammo but it's good to know that I can use up the rest of this ammo with this gun! This P228 has a better DA/SA trigger than the first one I had, but this one has more holster wear on the slide; I thought about having it refinished but I'll leave it alone for now, it has character!

September 5, 2014, 01:09 AM
Congratulations on your find.

The SIG P 228 is truly on of my favorite handguns.

September 6, 2014, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the tip on the MecGar Magazines. I've got a West "By God" German 228 that I've had so long that the lights have about gone out. It's time I got it out out and found out if it will still shoot...

If you enjoyed reading about "New (to me) Sig P228 - I got an old friend back!" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!