What's this S&W Combat Masterpiece worth?

PDA

MIL-DOT
August 27, 2014, 10:36 AM
I have a nearly pristine .38 special Model 15-4, 4" barrel, manufactured in 1980, with the original factory grips, as well as some herritt cocobolo target grips that are on it now.
It used to be a beloved favorite, but it mostly just sits in it's case these days, and I'm thinking of selling it to pay for another toy, and am wondering what a realistic value is on one of these ( a bunch of inflated Gunbroker asking prices that get no bids are usually not much help, so I thought I'd come ask the pros !!)
Thanks in advance for any info......

If you enjoyed reading about "What's this S&W Combat Masterpiece worth?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmace57
August 27, 2014, 10:41 AM
I will SWAG a guess and say $375 to $400. It's really hard to predict though. Maybe $50 more with extra grips.

MrBorland
August 27, 2014, 10:48 AM
IMO, if it's "nearly pristine", $375 - $400 would be a real bargain. I'm thinking $500 - $550. Maybe a bit more with the grips.

bannockburn
August 27, 2014, 10:50 AM
I would say between $400 and $450 would be a fair price range, depending on the gun's overall condition. Maybe a little bit more with the Herrett grips and also if you have the original box and paperwork.

Stephanie B
August 27, 2014, 11:47 AM
As a friend says, there are three rules in valuing a firearm: Condition, condition, and condition. :D

Good pics would help.

Wil Terry
August 27, 2014, 02:42 PM
NOT all that long ago I paid $225.00 for a Pre M15 4".

jmace57
August 27, 2014, 04:12 PM
Maybe I'm just bitter because my "decent" one sold on gunbroker last weekend for $275!

Hanshi
August 27, 2014, 05:10 PM
I love the S&W 4" Masterpiece and prefer it to almost anything else as a "totin' around the woods piece". Many have passed through my hands including ss ones. The one I have kept is an earlier one with the "diamond at the screw hole" grips. Don't know about value but they're hard to beat.

rswartsell
August 27, 2014, 09:58 PM
It really depend on what "nearly pristine" means.

As the most meaningful post yet, if it means to you what it means to me I will offer better than what you have heard so far.

You can e-mail pics to rswartsell@yahoo.com. I really am in the market for a good one and will better the current $ 450.00 for equally good original grips and an extra set of cocobolo targets.

I am not interested (anymore than the next honest guy) in skinning you. I am offering because I love that vintage model 15 and am currently without one. I do prize good condition so we are down to tasks.

johnjohn
August 28, 2014, 02:07 PM
Get rid of something else but KEEP that 15.

Waveski
August 28, 2014, 08:36 PM
FWIW , I would NEVER consider parting with my Combat Masterpiece! I know that's not what you asked..... sorry.

MIL-DOT
August 29, 2014, 09:23 PM
I appreciate the offer "rswartsell", but also I'm hearing elsewhere what johnjohn and Waveksi advised me above, that I'd be an idiot to ditch the M15 out of boredom, just to get another new toy, and I think they're right.
Thanks to all for the replies.

rswartsell
August 29, 2014, 09:25 PM
Wise decision, my loss I'm sure. Enjoy that American classic!

P.S. I'll try to struggle along with my 1905 M&P, Mod 14-2, Mod 10-5 and 19-3, sniff.:(

P.P.S. We need to create a foundation for Smith revolver fans without Mod 15's. Start the violin music and tear jerking photo montage of under-priveledged wheel-gunners.

Jim NE
August 31, 2014, 01:36 AM
I paid $430 for a 1964 model 15 this year in real good shape, but N.O. grips.

Some doofess at the range told me he got $300 trade on a basically unused model 15 that he bought brand new 35 years ago. I cringed. He traded for a Springfield XDS or something. That figures. (And he was sure proud of that Springfield, too.)

highpower
September 2, 2014, 12:01 AM
I happen to be very fond of the Combat Masterpiece revolvers. If it was my decision, I would just keep it. Even if you get top dollar for it, in the end all you will have is a few dollars and your Model 15 will be gone.

I recently bought one just to get it away from the neglect it was suffering at the hands of it's owner. even though it looks like ten miles of bad road, it still has that wonderful S&W trigger and it shoots like a dream.

It's the one in front.
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Firearms/M15-3/i-kmhf9xP/0/XL/IMG_3115-XL.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "What's this S&W Combat Masterpiece worth?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!