remington model 4 problem

PDA

kernal_panic
April 10, 2004, 01:25 PM
A freind of mine has a remington model 4 in .270 winchester. the problem with it is the ejector which is a plunger type is sticking in the bolt body causing it not to eject. i put some fp-10 on it some times works now. right now i have it soaking in Hoppes elite feild cleaner. more than likely i need to disassemble the rifle and remove the ejector and clean it and its recess. problem is i can't figure out who to take it apart. i downloaded the manual for the remington 7400 (modern version of the same rifle) but it doesn't say how to remove the bolt. anyone have experiance with this gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "remington model 4 problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
April 10, 2004, 02:20 PM
Moving to Gunsmithing & Repairs...

kernal_panic
April 10, 2004, 05:50 PM
i think i got it. looks like the hoppes elite did it. hmmmm i'll have to evalute this product more. i used fp-10 at 1st and that didn't quite do it and i let it sit for 36 hours. used the hoppes and let it sit for 4 hours. i'll have to do i scientific test between the 2.

Sarge
April 10, 2004, 06:17 PM
are not something to be disassembled on a whim. A special wrench must be made or purchased, and the extractors are riveted in on many of them. They are an excellent candidate for your local riflesmith, when a problem arises..

kernal_panic
April 11, 2004, 12:40 AM
fired it today and it was ok untill i fed ammo from ammo carrier on the buttstock. apprently that was federal 130 grn ammo. OVERPRESSURE!!!!!!! blew the primer right out of the case and the head flowed brass into the ejector! guns a no go for ejection again. worked fin with winchester 150 grn ammo

Jim K
April 12, 2004, 09:57 PM
Sure that high pressure ammo was factory? It sounds like soft brass to me, plus probably high pressure. Anyway, avoid it and buy good ammo. If you reload, pull the bullets on that ammo and discard the cases.

Jim

entropy
April 22, 2004, 07:06 AM
Glad you fixed it easily. FWIW, I'dve Gun Scrubbered the bejesus out of the ejector, using that little red tube to aim it in there, then relube.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "remington model 4 problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!