1911 for around $800

PDA

bullzeye8
September 1, 2014, 10:50 AM
I am looking at getting my first 1911. I've been doing some research but I want to just see what you guys think. I am looking for a full size 1911 5" barrel mainly for range/target use. I would like to stay around $800 but could go a bit more if I need to.

What are your opinions on who makes the best 1911 in that price range. Ruger, Remington, Springfield, Para, magnum research, or is there another I don't know of that is better? From what I am seeing it sounds like the springfield range officer might be the best choice.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 for around $800" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OneSevenDeuce
September 1, 2014, 11:01 AM
Depends entirely on what you are looking for, I suppose. There are a lot of good 1911s out there. Some have some features, some have others. The only thing I personally try to steer away from is Magnum Research. I have heard a lot of complaints about them. Then again, I'm sure there are a lot of satisfied customers out there too.

Zerodefect
September 1, 2014, 11:29 AM
Colt or a bigger budget. Sorry.

Try to budget in Tripp or Wilson mags as well.

rodinal220
September 1, 2014, 11:40 AM
CDNN has this Colt 1991 below $800:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials/1991a1-45-5-blue-double.html

bannockburn
September 1, 2014, 11:41 AM
From Bud's Gun Shop:

Springfield Armory Loaded $767

Springfield Armory Range Officer $723

Springfield Armory Mil-Spec $622

Ruger SR1911 $634

S&W SW1911E $808

Would love to have any one of these for my first 1911.

MIL-DOT
September 1, 2014, 11:52 AM
CDNN has this Colt 1991 below $800:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials/1991a1-45-5-blue-double.html

I also just got this e-mail from CDNN, and was about to post it,myself.
I had one of these Colt 1991's a couple years ago and was very pleased with it. I traded it to a buddy to get my trusty old Sig 226 back, but still miss that Colt. I'd go with this particular deal over anything else I'm seeing.

CNobbe
September 1, 2014, 11:58 AM
This would be my choice given the budget although if you have to have target sights than the Range Officer might be what you're looking for. Still though, Novaks are better than the standard sights on a 1991 as they're easier to swap out or adjust. The Loaded model is a nice package, and I think Springfield is offering 3 extra mags with purchase of any of their pistols right now...not a bad deal.

http://grabagun.com/sprgfld-45acp-std-sts-ldd.html

bannockburn
September 1, 2014, 12:25 PM
MIL-DOT

I would definitely recommend the Colt at that price from CDNN as well. I picked one up in 2011 for a range gun and because it had "100 Years of Service" rollmarked on the slide. A very well built gun in every respect.
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z334/TailoAltera/guns2038_zps417946b5.jpg (http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/TailoAltera/media/guns2038_zps417946b5.jpg.html)

JTQ
September 1, 2014, 12:31 PM
I spend a lot of time and effort trying to talk people out of the Springfield Range Officer. I don't believe adjustable sights belong on a 1911, and most people new to 1911's don't notice the sight cuts are different for adjustable sight guns. You will be severely limited with fixed, or even other adjustable sight options.

However, since you say...

I am looking for a full size 1911 5" barrel mainly for range/target use.

For that use, the Springfield Range Officer is probably your best option in your stated price range.

1911 guy
September 1, 2014, 01:07 PM
If you can swing the Colt, do it. My only knock against Colt was they charged too much for the rollmark. That's been changing and they've always made a good pistol.

Springfield is my number two choice. Good frames and slides, milled and drilled square.

I've never owned a Ruger, but they have been getting extremely good reviews.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Remingtons. I'd ask someone who is more familiar with them to give you more information.

Avoid Para Ordnance like the plague. Because they are a plague to a real 1911. They make quite a few pistols that vaguely resemble a 1911 that function just fine. But if you want single stack, single action, .45 caliber and following the design of JMB, they've dropped the ball. Which is a shame, because they used to make some decent stuff.

19-3Ben
September 1, 2014, 01:18 PM
For that use, the Springfield Range Officer is probably your best option in your stated price range.

My recommendation as well for the price range. You're just not going to find a 1911 target gun better made below $800, and frankly you'd have to spend a LOT more to find one that is appreciably better.

200Apples
September 1, 2014, 01:43 PM
I am looking for a full size 1911 5" barrel mainly for range/target use. I would like to stay around $800 but could go a bit more if I need to

For about another 100, you may acquire a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 "Loaded"... loaded with all the accurizing tricks that smithys used to do to competition pistols back in the day: sights you can see, a clean, crisp trigger you can manage, match-grade barrel, good barrel-to-bushing fit, polished feed ramp, throated chamber, lowered and flared ejection port, skeletonized hammer, adjustable trigger... the Loaded has to be about the best pistol in your price range.

I have one. I shoot well with it. I don't see the need for another full-sized 1911 for quite some time! (as I am also fortunate to have a 3" Kimber Ultra CDP and a neat, new Browning 1911-22)

GZOh
September 1, 2014, 03:44 PM
The COLT for $769 is a great deal... Have that Gov't model and the Commander and they're both great, dead-accurate pistolas!!...
Also, any of the Springfield 1911s are quality shoots... Had the Mil-Spec and it was a very well made 1911 for the money...
Colt or Springfield at those prices, and you'll have a great first 1911... Also, both companies have exceptional Customer Service (if needed)!!

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/geezeepix/olts005_zps0ec83e9e.jpg (http://s439.photobucket.com/user/geezeepix/media/olts005_zps0ec83e9e.jpg.html)

RustyShackelford
September 1, 2014, 04:13 PM
For around $800.00 USD, you have a few picks to choose from.
Id look at these common brands. Note: some gun makers have special offers or rebates so keep that in mind. S-A is offering 3 free mags & a polymer magazine holder. Kahr Arms/Auto Ord has a free pistol mag. Para USA has a $100.00 rebate offer.
See the company websites for details. ;)

I'd check the Ruger SR1911, the Colt 1911a1s, the S&W 1911s, the SIG Sauers, the Para-USAs, the Kahr/Auto Ord.
Some like the Kimber 1911s www.kimberamerica.com but many recent shooters & armed professionals have railed against the brand due to poor quality and major flaws. :uhoh:
The Remington R1911 line isn't bad but I don't know much about it.
Some gunners & pistol shooters say the older series 70 format is superior to the modern 80 style 1911a1. I can see the points on both sides but for general carry or defense uses, Id buy a series 80.
The American Pistolsmiths Guild, www.americanpistol.com lists many top pistol smiths for the single action 1911s. They can do trigger jobs, throat the barrels, polish the feed ramps, install night sights if required, add grips, etc.

See www.slickguns.com www.gunsamerica.com www.gunsinternational.com www.jgsales.com www.brownells.com www.natchezss.com www.sigsauer.com .

newglockguy
September 1, 2014, 04:35 PM
My buddy picked up a Springfield Loaded model for around $800. I've shot it a few times with him and I'm strongly considering getting one now. Great gun for the price

bullzeye8
September 1, 2014, 05:02 PM
Ok thanks that colt looks pretty nice and is a great deal so I'll look into that more. Is it series 70 or 80? Also what are your opinions on the difference between the guns were talking about and some a bit more expensive. Would I be better off waiting a bit till I can afford like $1100? Are they that much better? I would be willing to wait an extra month or two to save up if quality/accuracy/triggers are that much better or should I just get the more basic ones and can always upgrade later or just have extra ammo money?

200Apples
September 1, 2014, 05:26 PM
Would I be better off waiting a bit till I can afford like $1100?

No.

An $860 - $900 Springfield "Loaded" is equal in value to almost any other 1911 costing $1400. Nearly. lol. And you won't need to "upgrade" anything about it. STOP modifying your firearms! Buy good ones instead! Hee.

Now, then; gitcherself over to yer lgs and order up a Loaded, then spend the extra dough on 100 rds of good +P JHP (for the bad guy) and the rest for practice ball. As the late Dave McCracken was fond of saying, "Buy ammo. Use up. Repeat." BAUUR.

Now GIT R DONE.

:-)

mattk
September 1, 2014, 06:27 PM
Springfield RO. I very much like mine. Both John Harrison and Heinie make fixed rear sights for the RO if you don't like the adjustable.
Mine is a 9mm with a Heinie rear sight and Harrison sear hammer and disconnect.

RustyShackelford
September 1, 2014, 06:44 PM
For general CCW or duty uses, Id get a pistol with fixed sights. 3 dot night sights are ideal, ;) . I like the Trijicon HDs(orange-green). The Wayne Novak style is great too for CCW. www.novaksights.com
Note: Wayne Novak co-designed the Ruger SR1911 series & advised on the features.

Adj sights can be good for target or match use but they could knock loose or break :uhoh: for duty/concealed carry.

Rusty

Chocolate Bayou
September 1, 2014, 07:13 PM
I'm with the Springfield loaded group. It was my first 1911 platform and now I don't buy anything that's not metal and 1911 platform from 3" to 5", 9mm, 38Super and .45acp.

GZOh
September 1, 2014, 07:47 PM
For your FIRST 1911 (at your $800 max price) I'd go with either the Colt-1991 or Springfield Range Officer. Both are great quality 1911s at those 'sale' prices.
My problem, I'm not a fan of adjustable sights which are on the SRO... if you're OK with those sights, it's your choice.
But if you're gonna change sights (I prefer 3-dot Novaks or Heine's) by the time you get done with shipping, cost of sights and installation, you're adding another $150+ to the original price!
For a FIRST 1911, I'd go with either Colt or SA at those prices, you won't go wrong... and you can always 'trade-up' (as we all do) in the future!!
Good Luck.

earplug
September 1, 2014, 07:53 PM
Look at the STI 1911 pistols, they have a large following at USPSA matches.

19-3Ben
September 1, 2014, 08:12 PM
For general CCW or duty uses, Id get a pistol with fixed sights. 3 dot night sights are ideal, . I like the Trijicon HDs(orange-green). The Wayne Novak style is great too for CCW. www.novaksights.com
Note: Wayne Novak co-designed the Ruger SR1911 series & advised on the features.

Adj sights can be good for target or match use but they could knock loose or break for duty/concealed carry.

Absolutely true. But the OP said this pistol will be for range/target use.
If I were to have a dedicated rage/Target 1911, you can bet I'd have adjustable sights on it.

OP- as to your question about saving up to buy an $1100 1911 instead, I honestly don't think it would be worth it. With "combat" or "tactical" style 1911s it would open up a few more doors, but for a dedicated range gun, you'd have to spend more than $1,100 to do better than the Springfield RO (In my opinion, of course). Especially if you are relatively new to the platform, you'll find that the RO is a gun you could learn with, grow with, and by the time you have shot enough ammo through it that you can shoot more accurately than the gun, you'll have spent many many more times the value of the gun on your ammo. It'll take you tens of thousands of rounds to surpass the mechanical accuracy of just about any quality 1911.

bullzeye8
September 1, 2014, 11:13 PM
What do you guys think about the Dan Wesson Heritage? I found a good deal for a used, less than a 100 rounds fired, one that comes with the 2 stock mags and a wilson combat fot $900. Everything I have seen puts this way above the Springfield RO or Loaded.

Ole Humpback
September 1, 2014, 11:31 PM
I would highly recommend a Remington 1911 R1. They are plain jane, no frills, and they just work right. Only thing I would recommend is some Wilson Combat magazines for it as the stock ones are a bit cheap.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=202267&stc=1&d=1409625083

This is my personal CCW. 1500+ rounds and its still ticking just fine.

duanebuck.schultz
September 2, 2014, 02:48 AM
I would say the Remington 1911R1. I have one and they are very accurate, American made, 1 year cleaning service for free, a rebate and they come with a match grade barrel right out of the box. They are about $750 or less for the basic R1.

TfflHndn
September 2, 2014, 05:44 PM
IMO, folks pay an awful lot for brands in the 1911 arena. Particularly since many of those brands get their frames from the same place - the Philippines. Cut out the middleman and look at a Citadel or ATI. I have a Citadel commander size with Hogue grips and fixed sights that shoots great and eats everything I feed it. For target shooting, my ATI Thunderbolt is accurate, has adjustable sights and a rail, and after replacing the recoil spring it has been 100% reliable. Both are well within your budget. Neither is a Colt or a Springfield, but I didn't pay extra for those name brands. Worth a look. Good luck.

george burns
September 2, 2014, 07:24 PM
There are so many guns at that price point, you can basically sit and just call out names. You need to pick one you like and just go for it. I would get a SIG from slickguns, the thousand dollar guns are in the 7's . the Colts and springers are always good value, and the Girsans and Rock Islands are half that. They all shoot, pick one.

wally
September 2, 2014, 07:27 PM
RIA Tactical, spend the savings on ammo and range fees.

wojownik
September 2, 2014, 09:12 PM
Springfield and Colt would be at the top of my list.

Hurryin' Hoosier
September 2, 2014, 09:42 PM
I am looking at getting my first 1911. I've been doing some research but I want to just see what you guys think. I am looking for a full size 1911 5" barrel mainly for range/target use. I would like to stay around $800 but could go a bit more if I need to.

What are your opinions on who makes the best 1911 in that price range. Ruger, Remington, Springfield, Para, magnum research, or is there another I don't know of that is better? From what I am seeing it sounds like the springfield range officer might be the best choice.
FWIW, I picked up my first Model 1911A1 ("my" meaning one not loaned to me by Uncle Sugar :) ) about two months ago. I bought a brand new Auto-Ordnance 1911A1 (a PKZSE) for $503 and change, and am absolutely tickled to death with it. Except for the "series 80" firing pin block safety (a Colt invention), a slightly longer trigger, and the barrel hood "in the white", it is a spot-on reproduction of the World War II Model 1911A1. People who associate Auto-Ordnance with the days when they were owned by Numrich need a wake-up call. Under Kahr ownership the quality and workmanship has done (at least) a 180. And they are American-made (assuming Mass is still in the Union).

bullzeye8
September 2, 2014, 11:38 PM
I don't really want to get a ria or similar. I would like a bit nicer one. I think I now have it limited down to a dan wesson heritage, kimber custom 2, or a springfield loaded or RO. I have seen great stuff about kimber but I have seen some bad to so that is one thing I am thinking about with them but it seems more good than bad. There is lots of positive on dan wesson and I here they use a lot of ed brown parts which is a plus. It is a very basic gun and is a bit more expensive. The springfield seems very nice to. From what I have seen though it sounds like the kimber or dan wesson are better. What do you guys think from these 3 options? am I correct in my statements? I think I might be leaning towards the dan wesson.

MICHAEL T
September 2, 2014, 11:52 PM
For that kind of money you can get a hand fit Metro Arms with some change left over.

200Apples
September 3, 2014, 12:05 AM
I think I now have it limited down to a dan wesson heritage, kimber custom 2, or a springfield loaded or RO. I think I might be leaning towards the dan wesson.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=759632

Overpriced and poor customer service... which is the exact opposite of what you'll find with a Springfield pistol.

weisse52
September 3, 2014, 12:12 AM
A Colt is always the right answer!...he says again. My second choice would be the Springfield RO.

CNobbe
September 3, 2014, 12:47 AM
I don't really want to get a ria or similar. I would like a bit nicer one. I think I now have it limited down to a dan wesson heritage, kimber custom 2, or a springfield loaded or RO. I have seen great stuff about kimber but I have seen some bad to so that is one thing I am thinking about with them but it seems more good than bad. There is lots of positive on dan wesson and I here they use a lot of ed brown parts which is a plus. It is a very basic gun and is a bit more expensive. The springfield seems very nice to. From what I have seen though it sounds like the kimber or dan wesson are better. What do you guys think from these 3 options? am I correct in my statements? I think I might be leaning towards the dan wesson.
I guess it would help if we knew exactly what you wanted like adjustable sights, etc.

I recommended the Springfield Loaded, my only beef with those is the need to use a hex wrench to loosen the full length guide rod.

My other choice would be a Sig 1911...I think they're a much better value than Kimber. Most come with front strap checkering, night sights, and etc.

Both have lifetime warranty, hard to choose.

bannockburn
September 3, 2014, 11:05 AM
I would still go with a Colt at your price point but there's a lot to like with either a Dan Wesson, SIG, S&W, or Springfield Armory 1911. Find one that has most of the features you want at a price you can afford.

nugun55
September 3, 2014, 01:08 PM
I usually don't make recommendations on these things...But.... The Colt O1991 @ $769 is a lot of 1911 for the money. If I didn't already have one, I'd buy it. I'm half temped to buy it, anyway. :D

Chocolate Bayou
September 3, 2014, 02:27 PM
The STI Spartan is well within your price range. STI doesn't make this line, they import from Philipines. Everything i read or heard has been positive, but I haven't shot one so no first hand knowledge.

anothernewb
September 3, 2014, 03:06 PM
In with the others. Can't go wrong with the Ruger. Remmington model seems to be pretty solid too. Range officer is a fine gun that you can't lose on either. STI is a fine unit, but the base model Spartan is an armscor frame. Not that that's a bad thing. I have all three (RO, Ruger, STI) and they each function and shoot very well.

Colt is a fine gun too, but like it's always been you get a basic model with a pony roll mark, for the price of every one elses enhanced ones. But not to bash the colt either. Even little kids want a pony, lol.

TfflHndn
September 3, 2014, 03:09 PM
Did you see the Remington R1 enhanced on grabagun? Looks like a great value.

Skyshot
September 3, 2014, 03:37 PM
I think the Ruger is a steal at $640.

tipoc
September 3, 2014, 04:18 PM
The Colt will be your best choice. The materials of construction are second to none and it is a basic 1911.

tipoc

handloader357
September 3, 2014, 06:11 PM
My most recent 1911 is a 5 inch Ruger. Great bang for your buck and made in the USA. I also happen to love the looks of the Ruger. My National Match Colt does group better, but the Ruger is still very respectable in the accuracy department.

I do also have a Phillipines made ATI 1911. Its a well made gun and their customer service was great in resolving some minor issues, but maybe I'm old fashioned as I like my American made stuff better.

Ive heard good things about the Remington and Springfield guns too but haven't had any experience with them. I have a personal deep rooted hatred for Springfield related to another product so I will not give them any of my business. I may have gotten the Remington, but found a great deal locally on the Ruger.

Armor Snail
September 3, 2014, 06:34 PM
Tisas GI

Then $400 of upgrades, ammo, and holsters.

Ymmv

243winxb
September 3, 2014, 11:26 PM
springfield range officer http://www.americanrifleman.org/article.php?id=14022&cat=20&sub=21

UKWildcatFan
September 4, 2014, 06:56 PM
Springfield Loaded stainless was my first handgun, let alone 1911. It'll never be sold, as it's STILL my favorite of my plethora of handguns.

Bristol Mt.Man
September 4, 2014, 09:17 PM
The last handgun I purchased was a Sig Sauer Match Elite. 1911 style, in 40 S&W. Absolutely no complaints here. Gun is solid, reliable, and shoots better than I can. I paid $838, plus shipping. Happy shopping.

Damon555
September 5, 2014, 12:00 AM
A Kimber Custom II will fit the bill nicely......

AFK
September 5, 2014, 11:32 AM
I used to be a Kimber fan and I still own 2 that I really like, but I recently found out that their customer service stinks. PM me if you want the horrid details but I would go with a company that will actually take care of their customers and have competent people working on their firearms. My next 1911 will be Dan Wesson

wlewisiii
September 5, 2014, 12:00 PM
RIA Tactical, spend the savings on ammo and range fees.
^^^^This. Once you've put several thousand rounds through that RIA you'll realize that all you get from $pringfield is a prettier finish. Or perhaps a pretty picture of a dancing pony is worth the extra money... :evil: The RIA Tactical is the best value in 1911's on the market right now.

Chocolate Bayou
September 5, 2014, 12:18 PM
My last buy was a Colt Government in 38 Super. If you have never shot one, it's a blast and very accurate. Next gun will be a Colt CommanderXSE in stainless. I like Colts and Springfields over the Dan Wesson or Sig, et. al until you are ready to step up for Ed Brown.A good medium of the road would be a STI Trojan. Dawson Precision and Brazos Custom usually have them for @ $1050.00.

damienph
September 6, 2014, 06:57 PM
Bullseye8, between the models that you have narrowed it down to; I have no experience with any of the Dan Wesson models, however I do own Kimber and SA 1911s. I have 2 Colts, 2 SAs and 1 Kimber, a pre series II Custom model. It is the most accurate of the five that I currently own. My son has a Custom II and an RIA Tactical. The RIA is a decent shooter and a very nice gun for the money but at the risk of offending many of the posters here, it is not in the same class as the Kimber in either accuracy or quality.

Accuracy is most important to me; the Kimber Custom and the SA Range Officer are accurate pistols, I would choose either of those. For the use that you plan for it adjustable sights would be fine, actually preferable, for a range or target gun.

The Dan Wesson may be also a good choice, I just don't have the experience to know.

HisSoldier
September 6, 2014, 11:01 PM
I don't really want to get a ria or similar. I would like a bit nicer one.

For function and value there is nothing better, for my money, than my RIA, I love that gun! Paid $350 for it. There is something so satisfying about getting such a great gun so cheap, true capitalism in action.
If you want a high quality 1911 you will probably never regret buying a DW, I have 3 of them. Just sliding that precision artwork slide back is a joy! If I had to go to one gun I'd keep the DW 10MM. The RIA would also be hard to give up though.

Zach S
September 8, 2014, 01:15 AM
Dont overlook the used market. Years ago I picked up a Stainless 1991A1 for $500 or $550. None of my Series I Kimbers cost more than $650. Looked at a few loaded Springers for around $650 to $675... I could go on.

For a new pistol, if you want an adjustable rear sight, I'd look at a Springfield Range Officer or STI Spartan.

benzy2
September 8, 2014, 01:45 AM
I'm sure most options listed here would serve you well. I waited and spent a little extra on an STI Trojan and don't regret it in the slightest. 1911 owners are a fickle crowd. Spend less than I did and you are waisting your money on cheap junk. Spend more than I did and you are waisting your money on over priced features that don't make the gun better.

We are a very visual creature. We like to make comparisons based on what our eyes tell us. Problem is, a crappy 1911 can have a nice blue and a great 1911 can have an average finish. The vast majority of 1911's look the same from under the counter glass. Honestly, if you put a little bit of work into a trigger job on an RIA, I'm guessing the majority of casual shooters wouldn't know it to be anything less than a top end 1911. To be truthful, there are differences between a $500, $1000, $1500, and $3000 1911. The harder part is first being able to understand what all those differences really mean and then being able to determine if they make a difference to what you want and how you shoot.

I'd suggest starting with a cheap but well regarded 1911 until I became familiar with the gun. Once you've shot one enough to understand what matters to you, then spend bigger bucks buying the features you want and skipping the ones you don't. If you aren't familiar with the gun itself, its hard to know what you really care to pay for and what's well worth the money. None of the options listed in this thread are bad choices in general, but they all aren't necessarily the best choice for you in particular either. So, I'd grab an RIA, shoot the sin out of it, and then down the road buy the right gun to fit the needs you then understand. As long as you buy a well regarded brand, you won't make a bad choice though if its the best choice can really only be answered after you have learned the gun in and out and found the best fit for your wants.

nathan
September 8, 2014, 01:47 AM
Order of battle.

Colt
Ruger
SPringfield

Those are my pick...

Stevie-Ray
September 10, 2014, 06:56 PM
Order of battle.

Colt
Ruger
SPringfieldHave to agree.

silicosys4
September 10, 2014, 10:42 PM
If you are willing to spend the money, the Colt is the way to go IMO.
Not wanting to bad mouth RIA, I had one of their budget 1911's, and for what it was it was pretty good. It was no Colt though, and shot way off poa. The sights were pretty basic too. But as has been mentioned, they are a gun you can buy for $350, shoot for years, then sell for $350 when you are ready to move up or move on. It's hard to lose money on a cheap ria.
I have two 1991a1's and fwiw they are more accurate than my RIA was, and they are more accurate and reliable than my sig sauer 1911 is.
Something else to consider. If you have any interests in the .460 Rowland conversion....and who wouldn't, right? :D.....the ria and a few other budget 1911's aren't recommended.

I have no experience with the other brands mentioned, so I can't speak for them.

CoalTrain49
September 11, 2014, 11:46 PM
I just purchased a Colt 01991 for about $850. I like Colts as I've had several. Springfield would be my second choice if you can't swing a Colt. Colt will hold it's value better though.

JDR
September 12, 2014, 05:05 AM
I really love my 1911s, I have a Dan Wesson Valor, an SW1911, a Ruger SR1911 Commander Length, and a Springfield Loaded 1911 in 9mm. These are all great, the Dan Wesson is absolutely worth the extra money, it is the best of the four. The Ruger is the best gun for the money, once you get a full length 1911, you will want a commander length 1911. The SW1911 shoots accurately and reliably, a sweet pistol. The Springer shoots cheaper 9mm ammo accurately and reliably with minimal recoil. I use Wilson mags with all of them, the 47D in .45 and the ETM in 9mm.

bullzeye8
September 13, 2014, 05:24 PM
I went to the lgs today and I picked up a Smith and Wesson E series 1911! It was used and had some scratches but I got it for $600 + a free box of ammo. So far I really like it. The trigger is real nice but I am disappointed because the precision fit trigger still has a decent amount of vertical play which it was supposed to fix. I took it apart to clean it and the bushing was really loose I was expecting tighter but the frame to slide fit seems really good for the price range. I didn't get to shoot it because its raining but hope to shoot it some tomorrow. Do any of you have the e series? What should I expect accuracy wise?

JDR
September 14, 2014, 01:47 AM
Your SW1911 "E" is a nice piece, looks like you got a decent deal on it! I like the fish-scale serrations on your slide, and the front-strap checkering on yours is nicer than the two SW1911 pistols I had. I still have my second SW1911. My first one was one of the earliest SW1911 target guns with adjustable sights that came from the factory with Wilson combat magazines. On the early guns, I'm told that the only parts that S&W produced were the frame and slide while the internal components are Wilson and Les Baer, factory installed and fitted by S&W. This second one has fixed 3-dot sights like yours, which I like better for indoor range shooting. These two guns were and are incredibly nice, reliable, and far more accurate than I will ever be.

You need to shoot yours before you too get excited about the loose play in the trigger & bushing, the reliability and accuracy may not be affected, but if it bothers you, that stuff is fixable by S&W, or by a good gunsmith. I would spend the money for better Tripp Cobra or Wilson magazines, I have 3 of the Wilson 47D mags, I think these are worth the money.

jeepmor
September 14, 2014, 03:26 AM
Congrats on your purchase. I stumbled onto a local ad tonight and hope to choose between a springer, colt or kimber tomorrow if they are not gone already. Never know with a 1911, they move pretty fast when put up for sale.

This thread has been a great read and thank you all for your input. I'm also looking for my first 1911 and hopefully tomorrow is the day I get one. Looks like they are all good candidates, but I'll steer clear of the Kimber based upon the CS input provided here unless it becomes my only option. My first choice will be the colt commander as I've always wanted a commander model.

ColtPythonElite
September 14, 2014, 06:04 AM
Another Springfield Loaded vote. I have had one several years. It feeds any style bullet and shoots nice ragged groups. I couldn't ask for much more.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 for around $800" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!