What does the Sig 2022 do well?

PDA

wild cat mccane
September 1, 2014, 01:23 PM
I am intrigued and considering a 2022. I don't know why...

It doesn't seem to do anything well. It is wide, costs about the same as any other gun when you include the cost of a second magazine like all other guns have, low round count....

Does it stand out in anyway?

If you enjoyed reading about "What does the Sig 2022 do well?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JTQ
September 1, 2014, 02:08 PM
It doesn't seem to do anything well. It is wide, costs about the same as any other gun when you include the cost of a second magazine like all other guns have, low round count....

What are you comparing it to?

It is basically the same size as a SIG P229. It gives you a similar experience to the P229, with less weight, with steel slide on steel rails, for about half the price.

Edit to add: DavidE often comments on the short front strap. I concur this is an odd design feature. I don't know why SIG didn't give it the same size front strap as the P229 and let both guns use the same magazines. It would have made the gun a much better choice.

Tomac
September 1, 2014, 02:38 PM
I've owned the SP2022 and consider it the poor man's P226. Trigger is very good for a DA/SA auto and it's very accurate, I find little to fault and much to praise for a rugged/reliable DA/SA design (YMMV).
Tomac

dogmush
September 1, 2014, 04:58 PM
It puts 9mm holes close together very quickly.

Mine gives me a polymer double stack handgun with a very nice, easy to use DA/SA trigger, night sights, good ergonomics and shoots for me very well, very quickly.

What more do you want in a (small) duty sized gun?

herrwalther
September 1, 2014, 05:25 PM
It is SIG quality-ish for not SIG price. I fired a few rounds through my brother's and it was a very nice pistol. Might get one for myself.

9mmepiphany
September 1, 2014, 08:24 PM
It doesn't seem to do anything well. It is wide(1), costs about the same as any other gun when you include the cost of a second magazine like all other guns have(2), low round count(3)....

1. Same as a SIG 229
2. I don't know what you might be comparing it to, but it cost less than and other hammer fired polymer frame 9mm I can think of. It is usually considered a best value at $400...and they come with 2 magazines
3. I'm really confused now, the 9mm mag holds 15 and the .40 mag holds 12

snooperman
September 1, 2014, 08:47 PM
I have the Sig SP2022 and it is one of the best bargain 9mm pistols in the marketplace. I enyoy shooting it and it has one of the best triggers in its price range.

ritepath
September 1, 2014, 10:12 PM
It stands out.

#1 Poly hammer fired pistol.

#2 Accurate

#3 Reliable

#4 Not overly spendy for a Sig

#5 It's a sig

That being said I bought a CZ p-09. :)

TarDevil
September 2, 2014, 10:21 AM
To the OP;

Why do you find the SP2022 intriguing if you think it does nothing well?

5-SHOTS
September 2, 2014, 01:28 PM
I had the chance to try the SP2022 various times and various examples. I like the trigger, the decocker and the steel sights. The slide finish is absolutely fantastic and very durable. I don't like the vague beavertail, the extension for the little finger which is a part of the magazine and not of the grip and I don't like the fact that if you use the thumbs-forward grip you have a good chance to have a closed slide after the last shot due to the looong slide release lever. I wasn't impressed by its accuracy but I was impressed by its reliability.
A good pistol at a good price.

tarosean
September 2, 2014, 01:47 PM
It doesn't seem to do anything well.

Seems to me its like every other poly gun on the market.

klcmschlesinger
September 2, 2014, 03:04 PM
I am not going to say it is the greatest at anything. But I shoot my 2022 for IDPA. I know, not the typical choice of IDPA dominated by Glock, but mine is dead reliable and more accurate than me. Many people don't like the DA/SA for IDPA but i think it is a huge advantage (for me at least). I have one long trigger pull, that does take some practice to master, and then all follow up shots are with a sweet single action pull that will rival most descent 1911's.

One piece of bragging I will do is this year at the Mississppi Showdown State IDPA match. The dirt at the range was like baby powder. Getting into mags and guns and caused reliability issues like i have never seen in my life. Some guys had such trouble as to have to stop the stage and just call it done. Couldn't even get all 18 rounds downrange. All makes, Glock, Smith, XD, 1911 and 2011 big time. My cheap little 2022. Not one singe malfunction.

Teachu2
September 2, 2014, 05:41 PM
It is a quality firearm that fills the same role as many others. It's a fine shooter with a nice trigger. Mine is set up with factory night sights, and is my workshop hideout gun. It's easy to shoot well, has great balance, wears a light well, and is utterly dependable.

It is, being a Sig, different. That's the best way I can describe it. I have a dozen Glocks and another dozen assorted handguns, and one Sig SP2022 in 9mm. It's like an enduro motorcycle - it does everything pretty well, but doesn't excell in anything. If I could only have one handgun, it would be second to a Glock 19. Since I'm not limited to one, neither the G19 nor the SP2022 get much trigger time. I have others I'd rather shoot, others I'd rather carry, others that thrill me more.

OTOH, I have four friends who have been looking for a HD pistol who have chosen 2022s after shooting mine. It's good to go out of the box, and it's a very comfortable gun to shoot.

stchman
September 2, 2014, 06:55 PM
It costs about 1/2 the price of the P Sigs.

JWH321
September 3, 2014, 07:15 AM
I haven't found anything that the 2022 does NOT do well (except hide under a t-shirt). One of the best all-around semi-autos I've ever had in my hand.

460Kodiak
September 3, 2014, 11:39 AM
Does it stand out in anyway?

Cost. That's a lot of gun for the price.

Fiv3r
September 3, 2014, 11:43 AM
I'm still kind of kicking myself for not picking up the FDE one they had in .40 at Rural King a couple months ago. I just couldn't justify it, but it was a fine feeling pistol at a great price.

astra600
September 3, 2014, 07:33 PM
Someone got two mags with their gun? Must have been a mistake. The one complaint I hear about Sigs is they come with one mag, unless it's the gen 1 P250, which no one seems to want.

jimbo555
September 3, 2014, 10:07 PM
The Sig-Sauer website says the sp-2022 ships with 2 mags.

basicblur
September 3, 2014, 10:19 PM
The Sig-Sauer website says the sp-2022 ships with 2 mags.
Last one I bought did (and one extra backstrap).

The first one I bought came with 3 magazines and 2 extra backstraps.

Just more cost cutting...

9mmepiphany
September 3, 2014, 10:38 PM
Someone got two mags with their gun? Must have been a mistake.
If you only got one mag with your 2022, someone took the other one out for you took delivery

wild cat mccane
September 3, 2014, 10:41 PM
Beretta Storm PX4 has occasional $50 off and comes with 2 mags...

Sebastian the Ibis
September 4, 2014, 01:28 AM
I think Palmetto had them for $349 at one point this summer with a mail in rebate for two free mags. While I don't need one, that is about the best deal you are going to find.

I am still kicking myself I didn't buy one just to check it out.

What's it do well? - it can probably shoot better than I can, just like every other modern pistol on the market.

JTQ
September 4, 2014, 09:34 AM
wild cat mccane wrote,
...considering a 2022. I don't know why...

wild cat mccane wrote,
Beretta Storm PX4 has occasional $50 off and comes with 2 mags...
Well, now we know at least one gun you are comparing it to.

As has been established, the SIG ships with two mags. The Beretta has a retail price higher than the SIG SP2022. Even with a $50 discount, the Beretta most likely is still more expensive than the SP2022.

In reference to capacity, the two guns sit in different size ranges. The SIG SP2022 is a compact or mid-size or whatever term you want to use. The natural competition for the SP2022 are the Glock G19, CZ P-07, and within SIG's own line-up, the P229. The Beretta PX4 is a full size gun, designed to compete with guns like the G17, M&P 9, CZ P-09, and SIG P226.

basicblur
September 4, 2014, 01:18 PM
As far as what it does well:
1. Makes a great bed gun - when the night sights on my old Sigma were about gone, I used the money I would have to replace them towards the SP2022. My first one is now my bed gun.
2. Trigger - I think it has a darn nice trigger, if you don't mind the DA / SA operation (I don't). Lots of folks whine about the Ruger LC9 trigger, but praise the SP2022's - to me, they're much alike. While they may have a long, heavy trigger pull (at least 1st shot / DA on the SIG), but both triggers are smooth, predictable, repeatable.
3. Accuracy - nuttin' much to report here, as all I'm really worred about is combat accuracy, and to me, accuracy is a "given" (all guns should be).
4. Value - still not bad, but value has dropped as popularity has increased and SIG has found ways to up the profit (such as dropping back from 3 mags to 2 and from 3 backstraps to 2).

On the down side, I consider it to be a bit on the large side - could be a little tough to CC, especially in summer?

I ran across what I thought was a good deal a while back and got my 3rd one (this time in FDE) - I was about 2 weeks early - a couple of weeks after I bought, SIG came out with the free mag offer.

HOOfan_1
September 4, 2014, 03:49 PM
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sp2022.aspx

just Sigs way to market another version for the public. just my 2cts:banghead:

Another version of what? Pistol? Most pistol manufacturers have different models with different features.

Not sure why anyone would pound their head over having more choices...

JTQ
September 4, 2014, 04:33 PM
SELWAYARMORY12 wrote,
just Sigs way to market another version for the public. just my 2cts

HOOfan_1 wrote,
Another version of what? Pistol?
That's what I was wondering.

astra600
September 4, 2014, 04:37 PM
Maybe it depends on the day of the week. The LGS took an unopened case after showing me the one the customers get to handle. Laser/light, night sights, one extra grip, lock, one mag in the gun and no place for a second one in the case. Costly buggers too. I paid $40 -$45 25 years ago for original CZ75 mags and they were hard to find then. At least my $100 got two Sig mags shipped quickly.

JTQ
September 4, 2014, 04:50 PM
At least my $100 got two Sig mags shipped quickly.

You're either paying for express shipping, or you're paying a lot for your SIG mags.

Top Gun Supply http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-sigpro-magazines/

ljnowell
September 5, 2014, 12:54 AM
You're either paying for express shipping, or you're paying a lot for your SIG mags.

Top Gun Supply http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-sigpro-magazines/

The actual SIG factory mags are 40 bucks each on the link you posted. Add shipping and you are knocking on the door of 100 bucks.

gc70
September 5, 2014, 03:03 AM
Most dealers seem to advertise the SP2022 with one magazine and two major distributors (Lipseys (https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SIE20229BSS) and RSR (http://www.rsrgroup.com/catalog/product/SGE2022-9-BSS)) list the gun as coming with a single magazine. Nevertheless, it is easy to find mags for $30 (http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/sig-2022-pro-9mm-15rd-blue-mag.html#.VAlN8WM0944), $32 (http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=1244&zenid=84650a920a4f209aced77ca2fdb88c64), or $34 (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1266/) rather than the factory-direct price of $46.

With sale prices regularly in the $350-$400 range and the recent SIG rebate, the SP2022 is a huge value. For an all-in cost a couple of bucks shy of $400, I recently got one with night sights, two grips, three mags, a holster, a hard case and a pistol bag.

ritepath
September 5, 2014, 07:54 AM
Looks like most everyone agrees the 2022 does everything good.

ID-shooting
September 5, 2014, 08:43 AM
Mine only came with one mag. Bought just after Sandyhook as a FU to their ban they wanted (15 round mags) I got the pistol, laser, three straps, and one mag for $425 and was NIB virgin. I remember checking at the time and Sig's site stated it only came with one in the package with the laser sight. The LGS had two used LEO marked mags for $15 each though.

Arkansas Paul
September 5, 2014, 01:53 PM
Seems to me its like every other poly gun on the market.

Except it is not striker fired like most. The trigger is much better IMO, and the opinion of many others than most poly guns.

I love mine in .40 S&W. If I decide to buy a full sized 9mm, it will be the one I get.

astra600
September 5, 2014, 04:12 PM
I forgot I got a security holster that the light fit in, too. OTD for $603. It was definitely a bargain.

Frank44
September 5, 2014, 05:46 PM
My wife has a Sig 2022 in 9mm and loves it. I shot it at the range and found it to be accurate, reliable and fun to shoot. It`s definitely a quality gun with the same feel as my Sig 226 and 220. I`m not a 9mm fan but used that caliber for competition. I liked it enough that I bought one for myself and am very happy with it. It also carries very well although I usually carry something other than 9mm. There could be a 2022 in 40S&W in my future! I really see no negatives to this gun, especially at the price they are offered for. If a DA\SA floats your boat, their a fine choice.

dogmush
September 7, 2014, 09:05 AM
If you're still vacillating on a 2022, I noticed this morning that classic armshad a couple of two toned 2022 ' s with night sights and three mugs for $450. That's not a bad price for a lot of gun.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/sig-9mm-two-tone-pistol-e2022-9-tss

Crowcifier666
September 7, 2014, 09:10 AM
Love mine, just took Defensive Pistol Level I with Seth Wish of On Target training (really fun btw), and the 2022 had zero malfunctions besides induced. We went through about 500-600 rounds in the 8 hr class. No problems with sand and dirt in the mags, can't complain here.

wild cat mccane
September 7, 2014, 10:25 AM
Okay Okay.

If you had the choice and thought about resale, is the black or stainless more desirable? Quick comments preferred as I am picking one up in a few hours.

Thanks!

dogmush
September 7, 2014, 10:41 AM
eh. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Mine's black, because I like black guns, and that's the one I found first.

Both are still in production, both are easy to find; I don't think resale will vary much at all between the two models.

vaalpens
September 7, 2014, 06:27 PM
To answer your question, I think it does everything well, but it all depends what your are looking for in a gun. What is special about the SP2022:
-Nothing is special about it
-After coming from the range, my SP2022 is normally the last one that is cleaned. It can handle being dirty.
-When I go to the shooting range, I normally shoot my SP2022 less, since it is dependable and it performs the same all the time.
-My SP2022 is the gun next to my bed. Again nothing special about it, it just performs as expected all the time
-There is not much tinkering you can do with it since it has a firing control unit in the handle

So I think the bottom line is, what you are looking for in a gun since the SP2022 can be special or just a darn reliable gun.

HighRoadRover
September 8, 2014, 07:20 PM
If they could move that firing unit to the P250/P320 grip frame, and sell it for $400, the sales of all of the Sig pistols would stop until everyone got one.

The SP2022 has a grip that is a bit wide for me, thus mine are gone. But as a tool, it is hard to find a pistol that is better (if ease of use and reliability are your criteria for a good pistol). If you add in accuracy, it is hard to find a good pistol that is cheaper. Add all those together, and you have a very good value for the money -- and a pistol that will be running long after a lot of far more expensive pistols are done.

jjones45
September 10, 2014, 07:01 PM
Well when sig finally makes a 2022 in 45 I will be one of the first to get one. I guess I will keep dreaming. Would you guys be interested in a 2022 in 45? I think the most appealing finish that's out for it now is the desert tan, that looks sweet

stchman
September 10, 2014, 09:30 PM
CDNN has the Sig Sauer SP2022 Tutone for $400 + s/h to your FFL. The gun comes with one mag.

RA40
October 17, 2014, 12:15 AM
Good discussion. Been accustomed to a 3'rd gen S&W and wanted an update to the 6904. This suits the price point and similar operation with a decocker but frame mounted over the S&W slide mounted decocking lever.

fortyniner
October 17, 2014, 11:09 PM
I first acquired a 9mm 2022 and was extremely impressed. I love everything about it - nice trigger, extreme reliability, accurate, night sights, lightweight, easily field stripped & reassembled, DA/SA functional, high capacity. I have been through quite a few 9mm pistols, and this one is a keeper.

I like it so much that I got a playmate for it- a .40 cal 2022. Just as happy with it.

The 2022 has made SIG fans out of people like me that never would have been able to afford a 226 or 229.

agent109
October 18, 2014, 12:44 AM
The Sig Pro 2022 seems to be a great gun for the money. It was produced as a service weapon for the French Law Enforcement and is also used by our military as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_Pro_series

I have a very early version that was made in Germany that I picked up some years ago for $350 with two mags and a bottle of oil in the case. I rate it right up there with the Glock 19 as a 9 mm weapon.

herrwalther
October 18, 2014, 12:47 PM
The Sig Pro 2022 seems to be a great gun for the money. It was produced as a service weapon for the French Law Enforcement and is also used by our military as well.

5000 does not constitute a large number for the military. I have many friends in the 19 series and none have ever seen an issued 2022. Far more likely to see 226, 228, or 229 in our military.

agent109
October 18, 2014, 01:18 PM
5000 is a subjective number however, none the less, 5000 were sold to the US Military as stated in the article provide to validate the usage by our troops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_Pro_series

Just because you never saw one does in no way dispute the provided documentation sir. It seems once again that my low post count is used to try and discredit anything that I post on here.

The Sig Pro 2022 is a class A, well designed and very functional handgun and at the $300 price bracket very affordable for an outstanding quality firearm. I asked the engineering department in Exciter NH and was informed that the Sig Pro 2022 uses the same trigger group as the 226, 228, 229.

ugaarguy
October 18, 2014, 01:47 PM
5000 is a subjective number however, none the less, 5000 were sold to the US Military as stated in the article provide to validate the usage by our troops.
The 5,000 SIG SP2022 pistols in that contract were purchased by US TACOM and issued to DoD civillian police officers serving in Iraq. The same RFP awarded a purchase of 5,000 Ruger P95 pistols that were issued to non-LE civilian contractor security guards in Iraq. TACOM was also in charge of purchasing pistols for the Iraqi and Afghani police that the US Military was training.

agent109
October 18, 2014, 01:59 PM
I do believe DOD stands for Department of Defense of the United States of America that is responsible for procurement of weapons used by our armed forces. The fact remains that they did buy 5000 and the Sig Pro 2022 is a great gun for the money in my opinion. Thank you for your warm welcome to the forum.

ugaarguy
October 18, 2014, 02:39 PM
I do believe DOD stands for Department of Defense of the United States of America that is responsible for procurement of weapons used by our armed forces.
You misunderstand. DoD civilians are federal employees, not US Military personnel. The SP2022 was procured by TACOM for DoD civilian LE, and such procurements are not subject to the same T&E requirements as small arms that are issued to US Military personnel.

The fact remains that they did buy 5000 and the Sig Pro 2022 is a great gun for the money in my opinion.
I never said the SP2022 was a bad pistol. I just pointed out that the 5000 purchased by TACOM were a COTS procurement for DoD civilians, and not subject to any of the T&E requirements that military issue pistols are subject to.

The trials and selection of the SP2022 (and subsequent 250,000 pistol purchase) by the French Police Nationale and Gendarmerie Nationale is a far more significant testimony to the SP2022's quality. The Portuguese PSP and GNR selecting the SP2022 is also quite significant.

herrwalther
October 18, 2014, 04:10 PM
Just because you never saw one does in no way dispute the provided documentation sir. It seems once again that my low post count is used to try and discredit anything that I post on here.

You are perceiving an attack where there isn't one. Everyone here has made posts at some point. Post number has nothing to do with knowledge, at least in my opinion. My point is the VAST majority of handguns used by real military personnel are Beretta M9s and the rare M11. The P2022 is a great pistol and I may get one for myself. However, a limited number used by civilian contractors purchased by a Department that is more concerned about budget than quality.

dogmush
October 19, 2014, 10:48 AM
The Sig Pro 2022 is a class A, well designed and very functional handgun and at the $300 price bracket very affordable for an outstanding quality firearm. I asked the engineering department in Exciter NH and was informed that the Sig Pro 2022 uses the same trigger group as the 226, 228, 229.

You were misinformed.

A simple glance at the exploded diagrams of the two pistols will show that the parts and placement are different. They are similar (SA/DA with decocking will lead to that) but quite different.

FWIW, I actually like my 2022's trigger better then a P series. Better DA pull. I think Sig improved it.

gc70
October 19, 2014, 01:13 PM
I do believe DOD stands for Department of Defense of the United States of America that is responsible for procurement of weapons used by our armed forces. The fact remains that they did buy 5000 and the Sig Pro 2022 is a great gun for the money in my opinion. Thank you for your warm welcome to the forum.

The DoD's purchase of a weapon does not necessarily mean the weapon will be used by our armed forces. The DoD also purchased Russian Mi-17 helicopters (http://en.ria.ru/military_news/20130405/180451358/Pentagon-to-Buy-Russian-Helicopters-Despite-Ban.html) for the Afghan military, but most assuredly not for use by our armed forces.

agent109
October 19, 2014, 02:06 PM
What does helicopters have to do with Sig Pro handguns?:confused: I do believe we are both in agreement that the Sig Pro 2022 is a dandy pistol!

herrwalther
October 19, 2014, 06:16 PM
What does helicopters have to do with Sig Pro handguns?

It shows that just because the DoD buys something doesn't mean it is going to be used by Americans, military or civilian.

Thermactor
October 20, 2014, 02:24 PM
I am biased against plastic guns and won't consider it based off of that criterion. Its more available and cheaper than the P22x series, sure.. but it's plastic. Automatic disqualification :-|

sappyg
October 20, 2014, 10:31 PM
Neat thread. I hope we hear from wild cat soon on his thoughts.

Had one a while back. Awesome trigger. Excellent price. Very reliable. Thick for CC. Mags are on the expensive end of the scale.
Had about 900 rounds through it when I sold it to a friend who put ~900 or so rounds through it and so far not one single FTF/FTE. We're talking the cheapest ammo available.

wild cat mccane
October 20, 2014, 11:01 PM
Ask and you shall receive. I'm back :)

I put it on hold. The more I read, the less I feel confident that those singing praise are getting past the "value" of the Sig 2022 or that they have loads of trigger time with guns that are only $100 dollars more.

I don't think it is a value at all unless you snag it in the 400 dollar range with nights and two mags. If you aren't searching through gunwatcher or whatever, this gun is actually not that great of a deal.

I am still looking out for one, noticed one place does have the night sights and two mag deal...but the HK deal coming up is tempting me towards a P30L.

frankiestoys
October 20, 2014, 11:29 PM
I recently picked up a like new DET model with nite sites for 429$ and two mags . I've only run two hundred rounds through it . I like the trigger and find it easy to shoot accuracy is good but not exceptional ,no failures of any kind .I use it as my house gun and bolted on a light for night duty .

sauer1911
October 20, 2014, 11:33 PM
I have a .40cal sp2022. I would give it a rating of 6 out of 10. I couldnt shoot a full mag without the slide jamming back about 3/4" after firing.

I would have to bang it against a metal edge to get the slide to release. when stuck, the fired brass was visible and not stuck in any way.

I sent it back to Sig and they did as super job of quick turnaround and replaced the barrel and slide.

No problem since, but it is relegated to minimal use at the home.

be safe.

agent109
October 21, 2014, 12:27 AM
WOW! Sounds like it took a licking and stop ticking for you until you gave it another licking. Glad Sig was able to get it running again for you.:D I must have about 6,000 rounds through my .40 S&W SIg Pro 2022 and just about everyone has borrowed it to plink around with. Never had any sort of malfunctions My kid shoots the snot out of my 9x19 Sig Pro.

sappyg
October 21, 2014, 01:28 AM
Ask and you shall receive. I'm back :)

I put it on hold. The more I read, the less I feel confident that those singing praise are getting past the "value" of the Sig 2022 or that they have loads of trigger time with guns that are only $100 dollars more.

Funny you should say that. I think I have enough trigger time with guns "that are only $100 more" to know what I speak of. Price wasn't the only consideration for me but it does matter. Want a cheap gun get a SCCY. Want a cheap gun that works get the 2022. Want a cheap gun that might work get a glock.

The "value" is that they work. Can't say that (from first hand experience with glock or S&W). I prefer glock but that wasn't the question. I've seen every single gun fail but the 2022. If you get night sights (over rated) or two mags (they ship that way) then good on you. 4 bills? Even better.

basicblur
October 21, 2014, 01:21 PM
Funny you should say that. I think I have enough trigger time with guns "that are only $100 more" to know what I speak of.
Yeah...he kinda missed the boat on that one, eh?

My SP2022s (I now own 3) are some of the most inexpensive guns I own, but are also one of my favorites.

Only downside I can see is it may be a little on the large side to easily conceal (in warmer weather), but other than that, they're all good.

One of the nicest triggers around, no FTF / FTEs, holds a lot of rounds, comes with night sights - the price was just icing on the cake!

LockedBreech
October 21, 2014, 02:25 PM
I'm just about to get my SP2022. I snagged it for $399, stainless slide, with night sights. One of my favorite pistols I own is my Beretta PX4, which can on occasion be found in the $450 range, and has given me six and a half flawless years and well over 6,000 flawless rounds of .40 S&W. I'm interested to run the SP2022 hard and see if it also fits that niche of guns that don't break the bank but also run very well.

Honestly, I didn't buy the SP2022 because it's cheap, I bought it because I like it. I'm single, young, and nearly debt-free with a good job. If I wanted to drop $800-900 on a P-series Sig or an HK I would (and plan to, in fact!). That said, I like the SP2022 on merit, entirely aside from price. Like the Glock 19, it seems a remarkably balanced gun (though less suitable for carry than the 19). It seems well-built, and well-proportioned. Nothing on it seems to feel cheap, flimsy, or compromised. Polymer doesn't bother me, I like many polymer framed guns as much or more than steel or aluminum framed ones. I also love a hammer-fired gun, preferring them to striker-fired. Striker triggers have always been a problem for me. I find even a PPQ trigger distasteful compared to a good DA/SA trigger. Good DA/SA triggers just feel more...solid...positive. That's just my subjective opinion. I don't mind a lick that my Beretta 92 has a heavy first pull, because every part of that pull is perfectly predictable.

Most importantly for me, it has a reputation for diehard reliability, which is the one trait I refuse to settle on. A gun must be extremely reliable to be worth my time. I'm talking 99%+ reliable. Ever single handgun I own has met that standard except for one single failure to feed with my LCP in 1200 rounds. I certainly expect other handguns to meet that standard too. I haven't had my P6 long enough for it to meet that standard, but since it wasn't designed for hollowpoints and I bought it more as a curio piece than a serious defense piece, I don't much care about its reliability. I don't reload or use steel-case or aluminum-case ammo, so I believe flawless or near-flawless function in a firearm meant for self-defense or home defense is a reasonable expectation using brass-cased, factory-loaded ammo.

In sum, the SP2022 seems to be a balanced, well-thought, well-engineered, reliable gun. I'd have been interested at the M&P/Glock price point. It has never felt like a "budget" gun to me. The Stoeger Cougar is similar in that way. The pedigree of the design and engineering is beyond what you're paying.

I will be painstakingly tracking my first thousand or two rounds through the SP2022. Brands, bullet weight, cleanliness/lubricity condition of the gun. I will be using 147-grain standard-pressure Federal HST or 124-grain +p Speer Gold Dot as the HD/SD load, depending which I can find decent quantities of first. It will be interesting to see if the gun meets my expectations. I will post my results somewhere down the line.

agent109
October 21, 2014, 03:05 PM
The only shortcoming of the Sig Pro 2022 is accessories, holsters and the guns thickness for conceal carry. I found that leather holsters designed for the Sig 250 and the Springfield XD series will fit close enough to accommodate a secure carry. This is not a gun you are going to be comfortable with inside the waistband nor will you conceal it under a T shirt easily. Holsters for the 228/229 do not seem to fit it well with the front rail.

dogmush
October 21, 2014, 03:58 PM
Andrews Leather (http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm) made me an IWB for my 2022. So at least one good holster maker has the right form. No need to settle for a "close enough" fit. He's a super nice guy, that does great work.

I have a bunch of rounds through pistols ranging from hundreds more to thousands more. The 2022 is a steal if you like DA/SA hammer fired pistols. It shoots with a P226 and P30, and better then my USP. WAY better then my M9. If you don't like polymer, or DA/SA hammer fired it's less of a value. :D

HadEmAll
October 21, 2014, 06:04 PM
What my 2022 did better than other 9mms I've owned is to require NO sight adjustment out of the box to hit dead center azimuth wise.

Very refreshing. I've gotten used to the fact that I'm going to have to break out the brass drifts when sighting in a new pistol, so that was a pleasant surprise.

If you enjoyed reading about "What does the Sig 2022 do well?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!