S&W 610 sight ?

PDA

kidcoltoutlaw
April 11, 2004, 01:08 AM
how hard is it to replace the front sight with a hiviz ? thanks,keith

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 610 sight ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JoeHatley
April 11, 2004, 05:56 PM
Assuming the front sight blade is pinned:

Get a 3/64" punch and remove the cross pin. I put masking tape on the ramp sides to prevent scratches if I slip. In a pinch, a cheap 1/16" punch can can reduced in diameter with a file, just enough to get the pin started out. Then it can be pulled out from the opposite side with needle nose pliers.

Use smooth jawed pliers to wiggle out the blade. A scrape of leather can also be used to "pad" the jaws of regular pliers.

Insert the replacement blade. The tenon may take a bit of filing to allow it to fit in the ramp mortise. They are usually just a little oversize to allow a nice snug fit. Once the blade is in place, use a 3/64" drill bit (#54 wire) to mark both sides of the new blade for the pin hole you'll need to drill. Just turn the bit by hand, using the pin holes as quides. Remove the new blade and finish drilling the hole at a drill press. A padded vise and hand drill will work if you don't have easy access to a press. Just go slow and try to keep it straight.

Re-install the new blade and pin. A drop of Blue #242 Lok-Tite in the pin hole and another on the tenon is usually a bit of un-needed bit of insurance that I do.

The hardest part of this job is finding the correct size punch and drill bit. If not available locally, www.brownells.com has what you need.

Good Luck...

Joe

kidcoltoutlaw
April 11, 2004, 10:07 PM
will the hiviz not already have a hole in it for the pin,thanks,keith

JoeHatley
April 12, 2004, 03:47 PM
Nope...

The hole for the cross pin location varys slightly on different S&W models, but the blade is still the same size, so replacement blades can not be pre-drilled.

Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 610 sight ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!