Which state(s) doesn't allow "faced" targets?

PDA

twoblink
February 6, 2003, 10:40 AM
I remember reading on TFL before that quite a few states don't allow shooting at targets that actually have a face on it; like for example, Bill Gates or Sarah Brady or (insert your favorite politician here).

I just wanted to get a list of these states, so I can cross them off my list of states I would consider moving to..

If you enjoyed reading about "Which state(s) doesn't allow "faced" targets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greg L
February 6, 2003, 10:49 AM
I don't know but I would guess that any state that worries about this probably is already very anti gun and wouldn't be on your list to begin with.

I think that Mass. was one of them.

Greg

mjustice
February 6, 2003, 11:28 AM
The only state I knew about was Massachusetts.

MJ

foghornl
February 6, 2003, 12:34 PM
I've got some Osama targets I intend to shoot the center out of this weekend, along with my Mail-In-Match 22 target....

Carlos Cabeza
February 6, 2003, 12:52 PM
ANOTHER !!!!! rediculous law................:rolleyes:

Guy B. Meredith
February 6, 2003, 01:02 PM
In California it is a range-to-range decision. Some do not want the 6:00 News crew coming in and presenting us as militia in training or murderous thugs.

KRAUTGUNNER
February 6, 2003, 01:08 PM
Add Germany to the list!

:banghead:

M1911
February 6, 2003, 01:28 PM
The only state I knew about was Massachusetts.Actually, that is not a blanket rule in MA. That portion of the law basically has no real effect.

In MA, there is this screwy idea that some guns are more dangerous than other guns. Therefore, you need an extra special permit to be able to own the "more dangerous" guns. There are three different permits in MA: Firearms ID Card, License To Carry Class B, and License To Carry Class A. The FID card lets you own non-large capacity long guns (basically pump, breakopen, bolt action, lever action rifles and shotguns). The LTC Class B lets you own any long guns along with non-large capacity handguns (revolvers and some semis). The LTC Class A lets you own any long gun and any handgun.

Part of this law allows gun clubs to get a License To Carry Class A. That is, the club itself (i.e., the corporation) would be licensed to own guns. The club could then rent or lend these guns to members and/or customers. In order to get an LTC Class A, the club would have to have one or more shareholders who have an LTC Class A.

If a club has an LTC Class A, then the club cannot allow anyone to shoot at a silhouette target (whether it has a recognizeable face or not).

99% of the ranges in MA are at non-profit gun clubs. By definition, they don't have shareholders. Therefore, the clubs cannot get an LTC Class A. Therefore, you can shoot at anything the club will let you shoot at.

In other words, there is very little practical effect from this law. There's less here than meets the eye.

M1911

BerettaNut92
February 6, 2003, 01:35 PM
Most public ranges I go to prohibit political targets.

I draw mean faces on my brown grocery bags, and the matches I shoot to only have a A-zone square on the head.

But even CA lets us have faced targets! Imagine that...

mjustice
February 6, 2003, 01:45 PM
In other words, there is very little practical effect from this law. There's less here than meets the eye.

Thanks for the update, M1911.

MJ

jmbg29
February 6, 2003, 01:50 PM
Thank you God, for delivering me, your humble but unworthy servant, from that pestilent hole, Massachew:cuss:s. Amen

ball3006
February 6, 2003, 02:52 PM
Massatwo****s.....chris3

10-Ring
February 6, 2003, 02:58 PM
Found just last Saturday that the range I frequent does not allow the use of target w/ actual faces on them...shadows only. I asked what would happen if I did bring in a target w/ a face and I was told by one of the employees that a patron was actually banned for refusing to stop using these targets...I understand "his business, his rules" but GEEZ!:scrutiny:

jmbg29
February 6, 2003, 05:02 PM
Massatwo****sNo. I grew up there, it's spelled Massachew****s.

shermacman
February 6, 2003, 05:21 PM
Easy boys...I live here. I got my CCW with no hassles and with it I can buy a hand gun over the counter in under 15 minutes. There are plenty of shooting ranges, including my favorite in Braintree. WallyWorld is well stocked with lots of ammo. And I am slowly but steadily taking my bed-wetting Liberal friends to the range and turning them on to the most fun they can have with clothes on...!:evil:

Chipperman
February 6, 2003, 05:32 PM
I'm with you buddy!!
The biggest problem in MA is the AG and the stoopid MA compliant crap.

As shermacman said, you can buy a handgun on the list in 10 minutes if you have a license. No waiting period. In that respect, MA is actually better than some states.

For long guns, MA is light years ahead of CA. I can get any evil black rifle here, no worries.

Each of the "Anti" states (MA, NJ, CA, etc) have good and bad points. MA is by no means ideal for RKBA, but is not as bad as some people think.

T.Stahl
February 6, 2003, 05:42 PM
Krautgunner, I remember there was a thread over at waffen-online.de or visier.de about that very topic. Apparently there's not a single word in the WaffG about banned targets. We aren't allowed to practice defensive shooting techniques, but that is defined by shooting on the move, using cover and "tactical" behaviour, not the type of target. But we both know how we Germans are, always stricter than the law itself. :(

M1911
February 6, 2003, 06:59 PM
Easy boys...I live here. I got my CCW with no hasslesMe too. I live less than 20 miles from downtown Boston and less than 5 minutes from my gun club. Unfortunately, I still get to vote against Teddy Kennedy every 6 years <hurl>

jmbg29
February 6, 2003, 07:33 PM
but is not as bad as some people thinkI invite you to live in a relatively free state sometime. Your opinion may change.

twoblink
February 6, 2003, 09:27 PM
This thread is in danger of becoming a MA bashing thread.. I have quite a few friends that live there; and they... CONFIRM all that you say...

Personally, I'd buy the guy who shoots Osama a free gun, and try to drum up a parade or something for him.....

People like Osama don't really get sympathy from me..

(note the heavy cleanup of language...)

M1911
February 6, 2003, 09:27 PM
I invite you to live in a relatively free state sometime.Thanks, but this is my home. I'm not giving up without a fight.

Chipperman
February 6, 2003, 10:27 PM
"I invite you to live in a relatively free state sometime."

Been there. I grew up in MA, prior to all the crap going on now. I lived in MD, NJ, NY, and then PA. I moved from PA back to MA, so I know all about other states in the Northeast. They don't get much better than PA for "free state".

Don't make assumptions.

jmbg29
February 6, 2003, 10:30 PM
Don't make assumptions.I'm not making any assumptions. I grew up in MA. I lived there for a total of 26 years. Many of my family members live there to this day. :rolleyes:

cheygriz
February 6, 2003, 10:32 PM
allus thot it wuz TAXachewsits

CZ-75
February 7, 2003, 01:13 AM
MO won't let you shoot silhouettes at state-owned ranges, but at least they have state ranges.

Kahr carrier
February 7, 2003, 08:11 AM
The range I go to lets us and its even in the Prk.:neener:

Nathaniel Firethorn
February 7, 2003, 09:50 AM
Wow. PRNJ doesn't have an anti-self-defense law that at least one other state has. :rolleyes:

My instructor told me that it's a bad idea for legal reasons to use realistic targets, though.

- pdmoderator

twoblink
February 7, 2003, 10:59 AM
Ahhh... The PRNJ... where do I even begin with that one..

"Err... Sir, you'll need to get a license for that BB Gun..." :rolleyes:

PageField
February 7, 2003, 01:02 PM
Those MA Boys needed a license for BBs in 1975. I'm looking at mine (for life)HaHA, right now.

Roadrunner
February 7, 2003, 04:48 PM
Believe or not, the NRA Range here in Fairfax, Virginia does not allow us to use the these human face targets.

M1911
February 7, 2003, 07:45 PM
I'm looking at mine (for life)HaHA, right now.Which, of course, turned out not to be for life. Legislation passed in 1998 gave those "for life" FIDs an expiration date :rolleyes:

jmbg29
February 8, 2003, 06:45 AM
Which, of course, turned out not to be for life. Legislation passed in 1998 gave those "for life" FIDs an expiration date The same year that our family guns moved out of MA forever.:fire:

KRAUTGUNNER
February 8, 2003, 07:07 AM
@ T. Stahl:

§15 Abs.6 Satz 2 WaffG neu: "Schießübungen des kampfmäßigen Schießens, insbesondere die Verwendung von Zielen oder Scheiben, die Menschen darstellen oder symbolisieren, sind im Schießsport nicht zulässig."

Reading the law before posting is always advisable! ;) :D

GRUß

Mastrogiacomo
February 8, 2003, 08:38 AM
I'm hoping at some point to move out of this state. I was given my LTC fairly easily but not the Class A I requested. I had to settle for the Class B. It's not bad enough I couldn't get the full size Beretta I wanted, I also don't have many choices of firearms since most are prohibited: The Cougar, Elite, any 1911 pistol, the H&K, and many others. The only way I can "carry" is with the gun fully exposed and unloaded. I really hate it here...:banghead: :cuss: :fire:

T.Stahl
February 8, 2003, 05:11 PM
§15 Abs.6 Satz 2 WaffG neu:

Oops, I'm not up to date. Hmm, back when the mentioned thread to place, it apparently was legal.

Well, one would go to Austria for training these evil techniques anyways. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Which state(s) doesn't allow "faced" targets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!