Do any of you give names to your firearms?

PDA

BHPshooter
March 27, 2004, 04:22 PM
I've been debating naming mine, but now that my friend is a handgun owner, I think we'll be thinking a lot harder about it.

Have you named a gun? What's its name?

Wes

If you enjoyed reading about "Do any of you give names to your firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
March 27, 2004, 04:36 PM
Wes,

Yes, I have a Glock 26 which we refer to as Miss Anne. Her last name is "Thrope."

A buddy of mine also has a Glock 26, named Sir Jury.

My kids' .22 rifle is named The Wizard because it shoots so well (its full title is "The Wizard of Ahhhhs").

No, we're not into word play around here at all. Why do you ask?

pax

Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted. -- Fred Allen

chrisher
March 27, 2004, 04:49 PM
I (we) have a Winchester Model 1300, in 12ga, with an 18" tube, Top Choat folding stock, pressure activated light, Side-Saddle, pistol grips on both ends...........for home defence.

My wife named it....."BORIS":rolleyes:

Snowdog
March 27, 2004, 04:54 PM
Don't feel bad if you decide to name your firearms, it's considered normal by quite a few folks. Personally, I never saw the point and don't name mine. I'm bad with names, so I'd probably forget them anyway.

Same with cars, never could bring myself to name my cars except for one, my Grand Wagoneer 4x4 that I bought for snow days, whose name is White Elephant as that's exactly what it is.

If you want to name your firearms, go for it!

HSMITH
March 27, 2004, 05:07 PM
Ol' Number Thirty, a Glock 22, given to me by my wife on my 30th birthday.

Emmanuel, a pre-18 K22 5 screw given to me by my wife for Christmas.

Boss Hogg, my faux ivory stocked and polished Tyler wearing M19-4, named by my wife. My shooting buddies call it Big Pimpin'.

Ol' Misery is a stunningly clean and pretty M25-5 with the oversized cylinder throats, a nightmare to get shooting well.

Mustafa is a total sewer pipe tomato stake of a Turk 38, but it has a new stock ammo is cheap and it is fun to shoot.

Sweetness is a K38 Combat Masterpiece from 1949, most probably the finest handgun I own.

The Annihiliator (annie-hill-ee-a-tor) is my SuperX2 3.5" 12 guage, ducks and geese fear it for good reason.

Stone Cold Killer is my Browning Gold 20 guage, pheasants stand no chance.

I only name a few of the guns I have, the special guns or the ones I love to hate. Usually names are only used to harass buddies or to differentiate between like guns.

Preacherman
March 27, 2004, 05:48 PM
We did this a while ago - see here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=51204).

Trebor
March 27, 2004, 06:05 PM
"It's my precioussss. My preciousss..."

Mulliga
March 27, 2004, 06:06 PM
Marlin 795SS (basically a Model 60 with a box magazine) - Ole Bessie (she was my first :) )

Remington 700 Mountain - Danielle.

All my other guns are WAY too utilitarian to name - AK, 870, Romanian Trainer, etc.

A. Partisan
March 27, 2004, 06:15 PM
Glock 21..........McKilla Gorilla

Dr.Rob
March 27, 2004, 06:31 PM
1991A1 Colt Upper/Viking ODI DA Lower. 45 ACP. (FrankenColt) = The Machine

That's the only one with a name.

Hawk
March 27, 2004, 06:51 PM
Only one rifle rated a name: Ruger #1 Tropical = "Eleanor". Chambered in .416 Rigby, of course.

Everything else is happy with the names the factories gave them.

KaceCoyote
March 27, 2004, 07:00 PM
Marlin 336 in .30-30: Mr. Thutty

itgoesboom
March 27, 2004, 07:10 PM
Of the firearms I currently own, only two have been given a name.

I named my Mossberg 500 with side saddle ol'e bessie, and my Ruger Blackhawk in .357 was nicknamed Rose by a friend, when he saw some photos I took of it with rose petals.

My XD9 subcompact, Ruger 22/45, Bersa .380 and my SKS have yet to be named.

I.G.B.

hapafish
March 27, 2004, 07:16 PM
My first issue M16A2 was "Christine." After I switched to M4s and went on the merry-go-round of being reassigned a different weapon once every few months, I stopped naming them. I still talk to whatever issue weapon I have though ... quite openly, and out loud. "Aw come on, why is it you don't like this mag?" etc.

Sisco
March 27, 2004, 07:21 PM
Don't name mine, they are inanimate objects.
Kinda like what do you call a dog with no legs?
Don't matter, he can't come anyhow. :rolleyes:

Zach S
March 27, 2004, 07:22 PM
I call my thompson "Tommy", and my glock (zips flame suit) "mattel" or "Fisher Price." My polymer kimber gets called the M5 a lot. Although its not technicly an M5, it is built on the BUL M5 frame. Sometimes I call my AMT the rattler.

The rest have the name stamped on the gun somewhere. My cars are pretty much named in the same fashion.

Unlucky
March 27, 2004, 07:39 PM
"Charlene."

(any guess from which movie?)

Marshall
March 27, 2004, 10:23 PM
I have a scoped 44.Mag Super Redhawk I call "Punkin"

NRA Instructor
March 27, 2004, 11:37 PM
"My" M1 Garand I named Luke.
Luke was a real buddy and never failed me.
Unfortunately, I had to let my Uncle Sam have it back when I came back to the ZI.

Shanghai McCoy
March 27, 2004, 11:46 PM
Us blackpowder types often name our "smokepoles".I have a fullstock Hawken built by the late Ben Scott in Oklahoma.It's in 54 cal and I call it "Big Ben".

azrael
March 28, 2004, 12:49 AM
"Charlene."

(any guess from which movie?)

Full Metal Jacket...Said by Private Gomer Pyle....

I cant seem to name holsters much less guns, however at nite while sitting in my chair after a hard day of slinging glue, I do tend to stroke my XD-9Compact lovingly and whisper...MY Precioussssssssssss....my precioussssssss :D

BHPshooter
March 28, 2004, 01:54 AM
Very interesting. :D

I'm having a hard time thinking of a name for my FEG Hi Power... I'm not going to attempt to name my Browning for a while, so I'm putting that out of my mind for now.

Also, my friend just got a makarov (as hinted at earlier), and I've been trying to think of names for that. So far we've tossed out "Red," "Natalya," "The Czar," "Boris," "Russ (for Russian)," and others I can't remember now.

Any creative names for the Mak that I could present to the owner for consideration? How about for my HP?

Wes

BluesBear
March 28, 2004, 02:19 AM
At my house there are 2 Rossi Coach Guns for home defense.

The 12 gauge is named Boris Badenov and the 20 gauge is named Natasha Fatale. :D

inventory0297
March 28, 2004, 02:35 AM
I had the warning on my 454 SRH obliterated and replaced with "The Intimidator" in scrollwork, but the new 4" .500 may change all that......

RevolutionMan
March 28, 2004, 03:16 AM
I like to name my guns after anti-gun pols and celebs. I've only got four as of now, but hopefully that collection will grow.

Here's the list:

Mak90 = "Diane" after Diane Fineswine of course. I love that picture of here where she's got the AK with drum magazine, finger on the trigger, pointed at members of the media

Mossberg 500 = "Rosie" after Rosie O' Donnel. It's a shotgun, it's got a 'big mouth' -- so does Rosie.

Ruger P90 = "Barbara", named after Barbara Boxer. Not sure what she's done lately, but I've heard she's a real anti.

I'm planning on buying an AR-15 later this year. Any suggestions on names for "her"?

--Jason

BTW - 1st post! Hello everyone. Been lurking forever. Finally found a post that spoke to me :)

BluesBear
March 28, 2004, 03:30 AM
inventory0297, you can call your 4" .500S&W "The Immobilizer" :evil:

SiG Lady
March 28, 2004, 01:38 PM
I'm not really into calling my guns anything special, but some terms came to mind with them at one time......

The Sig P-239 (sold and gone) was loosely called "Beloved" as it was my first big-bore piece. Nice little carry gun but the grip was way too short.

Followed quickly by the Sig P-229 aptly called "Big Brother." Never refer to it as that, of course, but that was the term that came to mind when it arrived. I still have "Big Brother" as a carry piece. :evil:

Followed by the Kimber Stainless Target with no particular name... but an appelation was applied by a friend that made sense: "Dances with Kimbers." ;)

The Ruger Mark II Gov. Model needs no name. Its accuracy and performance speak for itself. :cool:

12 Volt Man
March 28, 2004, 03:05 PM
Wes, you already know a few of mine. I try to name all my guns. No reason, just for fun. Still a few that are waiting to be named. Here are a few examples.

SAR 1 AK = Soochka (not sure on the spelling, supposed to mean "little bitch" in russian
Bushmaster AR15 M4 = G.I. Joe
XD-9 = The Croatian Sensation
Makarov = Nikoli
Makarov = Svetlana

SiG Lady
March 28, 2004, 03:19 PM
Perhaps a matched set of blasters named "Boris and Natasha" would be in order...? :D

Cyka (pronounced SOO'-kuh) does mean 'bitch' in Russian. The additional particle (-ch-) is a form of affectionate/diminutive and would likely, yes, mean "little bitch" as you say.

captain obvious
March 28, 2004, 08:26 PM
My No.4 Mk. 1 Enfield is named "Lady Charlotte" - that's the only one I consistantly call by name.

I do try to refer to my AK as Sarah and my FAL as Dianne, after my two favorite gun grabbers. :neener:

kd7ctv
March 28, 2004, 08:38 PM
Mr. Glock and his friends, and Mr. HK and his friends...

AZLibertarian
March 28, 2004, 09:57 PM
To answer the question: No, I don't name my guns. I dunno if I'm repeating this story here or not, but here goes....

My maternal grandfather kept a .410 single-shot shottie along with some loose shells in a drawer in their kitchen. It was on a pistol grip, and the whole thing couldn't have been more than 14" long. Occassionally, a very arthritic great-uncle would keep it with him in the truck while everyone else went pheasant hunting, but primarily it was a HD gun. And it was named "Little Brother". My grandfather would tell my grandmother "Honey, if some ni**er comes in the back door, you just grab 'Little Brother' and let him have it." [Please, no flames. These are his words, not mine. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has ancestors who thought differently than we do today.]

So 'Little Brother' passes to my Mom and Dad, although by then it was in a very nice oak case lined with deerskin. My Dad makes a call one day from a pay phone to the ATF, asking about the legality of this kind of gun, and they tell him something to the effect of "Sure...Bring it in and we'll look at it." Dad's no idiot, so it never went into the ATF, or anyone else.

Mom and Dad divorce, and the gun (rightfully) goes to Mom. Mom got a little nutty, IMO, after the divorce. She did end up in a relationship with a fairly nice guy, but her nuttiness, especially when dealing with my kids, began to become a sore point. After she had 6 burglaries in about as many months (she'd been staying at her beau's house alot), she sold her house, sold off most of her stuff, and moved in with her beau.

And she gave away 'Little Brother'.:fire:

I spoke to her about it, and acknowledged the differences we were having, but asked that she find a way to get 'Little Brother' back into the family. I was obviously interested, and my only sibling has no interest in firearms, but Mom has a brother who's kids might appreciate something from their grandfather. As I saw it (and still do) 'Little Brother' was the definition of a family heirloom, and it deserved to stay in the family somewhere. Now it is gone forever.

Mom and I have been completely estranged for a number of years now--lots of reasons. I don't miss her looniness a bit, and the crap she gave Mrs. AZLib was unforgivable. But the loss of 'Little Brother' still hurts.

Smokey Joe
March 29, 2004, 02:08 AM
Talking to machinery, naming inanimate things, is callled anthropomorphism by psychologists. It is a pitiful attempt to make an inanimate, unresponsive, unyielding THING, have a consciousness, and respond to your pleas, and do your bidding. FOOEY!!!!!

I name any piece of equipment for which an appropriate name occurs to me. Talk to the important ones all the time. Threaten copiers at work ("Hey, did you see that recycle truck just go past? Ya wanna be on the next load to the smelter? Don't give me any more of that "Paper jam in location 6" s**t, buster!)

Usually it takes a while and sometimes a name never comes for a particular item. I have 3 cars right now, 2 with no name and one that is Piff/Puff because we can't figure out if it is a male car or a female. So it gets a ying/yang name.

I have named some of my bicycles.

My sporterized .30-'06 MOA Springfield is Old Reliable. Obviously. My new Savage M12BVSS in .300WSM MAY become New Reliable; the jury's still out.

But the Mossberg 500, and my kid's, are just The Mossbergs.

Come to think of it, I have never named a target gun, although necessarily each one has gotten more use in its turn than any other of my guns. Never named a fishing rod, either, nor my fishing boat. I think I will NOT bring any of this to the attention of a psychologist...

john l
April 11, 2004, 07:14 PM
Do any of you name your guns? Are the names just cool sounding names or is there a story behind the name?
I have names for a few of mine:

1. an FAL named Mojo.
2. a 1911 named Roscoe.
3. an AR15 named Major Bling Bling

Guns that have names seem to take on a personality more so ( to me, anyway) than ones that don't. However, the guns I own with no names still are like my "chilluns" - very loved.
john l.

PATH
April 11, 2004, 07:29 PM
Doesn't everbody?:confused:

BluesBear
April 11, 2004, 07:40 PM
Several of us admitted to doing this just two weeks ago.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73519

Mastrogiacomo
April 12, 2004, 12:47 AM
My two Beretta compacts are Triddu and Giuliano. My full size 92FS is Nero. :D

blades67
April 12, 2004, 01:00 AM
All of my guns come with names.:rolleyes:

gulogulo1970
April 12, 2004, 01:49 AM
I don't name my guns but I do have a gun with a name. I took a friend shooting my brand new Weatherby Mark V in .300wea. We had both never shot anything as loud and powerful with that huge muzzle flash before. He named it THOR, as in Hammer of THOR, and the name just stuck. That is what I call it now.

cidirkona
April 12, 2004, 04:32 AM
If anyone has any suggestions about the new glock 27 I picked up on Friday, I'd be more than willing to listen to them...

"Glocky-Poo" has just got to go.

-Colin

gearbox
April 12, 2004, 07:29 AM
Not I.

BHPshooter
April 12, 2004, 12:35 PM
Well, I'm thinking about one for my FEG Hi Power... I want to name them both, but I kind of view naming guns like naming ships. If you misname a ship (or rename one, meaning that it had an incorrect name to begin with), it is BAD, BAD LUCK.

Anyway, I've been thinking about naming my HP "Lucky 13," since I am getting quite fond of it, and the world-famous capacity for Hi Powers is 13 rounds. 13 is generally considered an unlucky number, but I figure that's only if your standing on the other end of it. :D

On the other hand, I never use 13-round mags in the gun, so it may be somthing of a misnomer. And additionally, the HP that I truly have feelings for, and I do use 13-rounders with, is my Browning MkIII.

Should I name my Browning "Lucky 13" instead? I think it's more fitting...

I guess I'm rambling :o , but if anyone has an opinion, please let me hear it. :D

Wes

xdoctor
April 12, 2004, 02:05 PM
several of mine are named

Remington 870 lovingly referred to as BOOMSTICK, circa army of darknes

Remington model 700 in 7mm STW titled (with elmer fudd dialect) ewk swaya

havn't named the rest yet, if anyone has a good AK-47 name, i'd love to hear it.

Smoke
April 12, 2004, 02:19 PM
All my guns came with names...

The Springfield
The Colt
The P13, P15, P16 etc

:D
Edited to add: out of all of the shotguns, the old tried and true 870 has earned the nickname of "The Gauge"

Smoke

Ex-MA Hole
April 12, 2004, 05:08 PM
I call my PPK "Walter".

Funny story- We were in an ugly area of Boston, and were amid people that did not like us there. My wife, who does not like guns (ok, flat out HATES them) looked at me and said "I hope that you have your Friend Walter with you!". It was a proud day.

keyhole
April 12, 2004, 05:14 PM
Yes, I do.

Just because.

LynnMassGuy
April 12, 2004, 06:15 PM
My S&W 36 is "lil guy". Corny but oh well.

gyp_c2
April 12, 2004, 07:10 PM
Whichever .45 I carry is always referred to as "Fido"...

...barks here, bites down the street?

BHPshooter
April 12, 2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. Pax and 12 Volt, you've both got the name game down to an art.

12 Volt, at the next little shoot we have I'll run a few ideas for mine past you... maybe you can help with suggestions too.

Wes

Abominable No-Man
April 13, 2004, 02:11 AM
I haven't had it long, but I've kind of been thinking about calling my RIA 1911 "Betsy", ala the Mickey Spillane character "Mike Hammer".:D

ANM

SMLE
April 13, 2004, 09:07 AM
I name most of mine. Although they often already have names and tell me what they are.

Moira, 1917 Lee Enfield #1 MkIII* with Irish Free State markings.

Silé (pronounced Sheila) Irish contract Lee Enfield #4 MkII.

Madigan Dreamcatcher, 1909 Lee Enfield #1 MkIII. I awoke one night from a disturbing dream and on impulse, laid this rifle on the bed within arm's reach. When I went back to sleep, I had a very pleasant dream of being out shooting with my friends carrying this rifle.

Mathildé, 1909 Lee Enfield #1 MkI*** I called the seller and he described her to me, I "knew" her name the moment I hung up the phone.

Patricia, Lee Enfield #2 MkIV* 22LR.

Bonnie, 1910 Ross MkIII. Her name popped into my head the moment I carried her into my house.

Annie, M1 Garand. Her name did not come to me until I disaaembled her trigger group.

Destiny, pre 27 S&W .357 W/3.5" Bbl. Found her in the gun shop in Tue. Got an insurance check on Thur. End of story.

La Belle Dame sans Merci, 1777 French infantry musket, converted to percussion and brought over by Caleb Huse during the War Between the States. Told me her name in the car on the ride home after buying her.

Mithangiant, "Grey Iron Shadow" in Tolkien Elvish, Colt MkIV Seris 70 Gov't. Model .45 with satin nickle finish.

Rocky, My Beretta 96. Play on "Italian Stallion" and Pietro, which is Italian for "stone".

W Turner
April 13, 2004, 10:24 AM
I've only named one of my guns, my Glock 20 is Glockzilla.....ya know,because of the horrendous recoil and all that............:rolleyes:

Mino

molonlabe
April 13, 2004, 10:36 AM
Sir...The weapons name is Charlene...Sir

sumpnz
April 13, 2004, 12:41 PM
I've only named one of my (four) guns. My 1896 Swedish Mauser (6.5x55) is Miss Kaysa.

The only other inanimate object I've named is the Jet dust collector for my garage woodshop. Her name is Monica (three guesses where that came from, first two don't count).

If you enjoyed reading about "Do any of you give names to your firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!