Gun cleaning

PDA

Okcafe86
October 25, 2014, 05:41 PM
How often do you clean your guns? I clean mine right after shooting regardless of amount. Nothing but CLP and hoppes. (Chore boys for lead) If it sits around for 6 months to a year I'll touch it up with clp to prevent rust. I think I'm pretty anal about cleanliness, especially my duty guns. I always read about fte, ftf light strikes,etc but I've come to the conclusion that MOST of that is due to poor PMS. (Preventative maintenance) thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun cleaning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RaceM
October 25, 2014, 07:56 PM
Like you I clean after every outing, one shot or hundreds. Haven't worn out a gun yet from cleaning too often.

BSA1
October 25, 2014, 08:14 PM
Generally once a year except black powder guns. I have rarely seen a gun worn out from not being cleaned but have seen a lot of guns damaged from improper cleaning. I wipe the sweat off the exterior after every session and call it good.

ColtPythonElite
October 25, 2014, 08:22 PM
Years ago I cleaned after every trip and found myself not wanting to shoot... Now, I shoot 2-3 times a week, sometimes up to a dozen different guns. I clean them when I think they need it and not before. I just wipe them down with oil and store them. I am happier with this process.

Walkalong
October 25, 2014, 08:26 PM
Years ago I cleaned after every tripNow,........... I clean them when I think they need it and not beforeYep & yep.
I just wipe them down with oil and store them. Oil on autos, RIG on revolvers. I used to oil everything.
I am happier with this process.Definitely.

RustyShackelford
October 25, 2014, 08:34 PM
In 2014 there are more & better gun oils & gun care products than ever before. :D
Some products or brands work better than others. Old timers & veterans seem to have the "secret sauce" or "know what works best for them".
I have purchased & used a few big name brands over the last 25 years or so.
I tend to get the best results from CLPs or cleaners that are non toxic, CFC free, safe for use with bare hands & don't have harsh fumes or odors.
I've bought or used: RIG, LPX, B-C Synthetic Cleaner, LPX, Hoppes #9(both old style & the new synthetic version), FP-10, Ballistol, and the latest(and superior) FrogLube CLP.
Ballistol & LPX are both fine for general cleaning/lube for the casual shooter or gun owner who keeps a home security firearm that may clean/inspect it every few weeks. I use Ballistol often around my home & for my Jeep too. It's light pine scent & non toxic formula make it bearable.
I've read a few + reviews & tests of Hornady One-Shot. It prevents rust & it's sold in many sporting goods/gun shops.
Id suggest new gun owners & armed officers(military/LE/corrections/security) learn the proper ways to clean-check guns. Learn not use tons of gun oil/CLP/grease.
I've posted on gun forums often that law enforcement/security agency armorers often say the over-use of oils or lubricants is one of the main problems they see.
A small or light amount of gun oil/CLP is fine. Large amounts may clog or cling to dirt, grit, dust, etc.

There are many DVDs, online videos & books out there for new gun owners to learn proper gun care.

bangswitch
October 25, 2014, 09:17 PM
No regular schedule for me. I try to at least give the bore a swabbing after a day at the range, but sometimes go two or three outings before doing a complete cleaning, whether pistol, rifle or shotgun.

And then there are times when I'm bored, I drag a couple out and clean them just to be messing with guns; that's usually when I haven't been to the range in a while, don't feel like reloading, but have a need to do something gun related.

Welding Rod
October 25, 2014, 10:12 PM
About every several hundred rounds, or after exposure to rain.

frankmako
October 25, 2014, 10:39 PM
i shoot a lots each week with different guns. so i clean when i feel they need it. but the carry gun get clean right after the range. i don't like carry a dirty gun.

rcmodel
October 25, 2014, 10:52 PM
My old WWII vet daddy, & the U.S. Army later, taught me to clean them when you shoot them.

Worked for me my whole life!

But I change the oil & get a lube job on my vehicles every 3,000 miles too.
And I brush my teeth at least once a day.

That also works out well in the long run!

Rc

Okcafe86
October 25, 2014, 10:55 PM
I can't sleep sound with a dirty gun lol

stonecutter2
October 25, 2014, 11:33 PM
Every range trip, but sometimes they sit for weeks before I get to cleaning them.

RetiredUSNChief
October 26, 2014, 12:45 AM
I used to clean religiously after every outing and do a wipedown after every handling.

These days, I'm far more lax because I've not seen evidence among my own guns that the occasional delays, be it days or weeks, between cleanings (even after shooting) produces any noticable corrosion at all.

I don't store my guns in conditions which might be conducive of corrosion, and I will clean/oil them before actually storing them. But a range gun or carry gun? I've no problems shooting those and cleaning them whenever I feel like it. So long, of course, as I do not have any functionality issues or might have a concern with possible corrosion.

GoWolfpack has a rather lax attitude towards cleaning as well, and as his guns don't have corrosion or function problems, I can't say he's doing any harm.

In fact, he brings up one very important issue with respect to functionality: When you break down your gun, clean it, oil it, and reassemble it...what objective evidence do you have at this point that it will actually WORK they way it's supposed to when you need it? A primary reason why he feels no need to be obsessive about cleaning his carry gun after shooting it. He's already verified it works.

Swing
October 26, 2014, 01:43 AM
For a huge portion of my life (youth, adolescence, and large chunk of adulthood), I'd clean them every single time a shot was fired. Now ...

Automatic handguns; every time.
Revolvers; close to every time.
Rifles; when they need them and/or corrosive ammo was used. Using quality ammo, I'd go 100-200 rounds or so.
Shotguns; rarely. Maybe once a year. They get a good wipe down, an oily mop run through them and and hosing with Baristol if needed.
Silencers; yah, pretty much every time. They don't necessarily need it, but ownership is a semi-PITA compared to the aforementioned.
Blackpowder guns; All the time when I used to bother with them, but, meh, I haven't done that in almost 20 years. The one and only BP gun I still own is hanging in the living room. ;)

RustyShackelford
October 26, 2014, 01:56 AM
In the early 1990s, after my military service I got into the habit of applying a small amount of gun oil/CLP to the metal parts & action prior to any long term range shooting(100-500 rounds).
I learned this aids clean-up & maintaining later. ;)
Lead, gunpowder, dirt, grit wipes off quicker since it's already got a light film on the surfaces.

rcmodel
October 26, 2014, 02:09 AM
Carbon & powder fouling cleans off way easier before it gets hard from aging in place too!

I can't prove it.
So just trust me O.K.?

rc

ColtPythonElite
October 26, 2014, 02:26 AM
Leave the carbon alone. It might get hard enough to turn into a diamond.

rcmodel
October 26, 2014, 02:34 AM
Would that make a Python with crusty rusty chambers a Diamondback?

Inquiring minds want to know! :confused:

rc

ColtPythonElite
October 26, 2014, 02:36 AM
I will be ticked if my Pythons turn into Diamondbacks.

1SOW
October 26, 2014, 03:45 AM
semi-auto pistols. Rag wipedown and very small amounts of syn. oil afteror before shooting. When the "soot" doesn't want to wipe off the feed ramp, I'll clean it. Depends on the powder , but 500/600 rds usually needs some Hoppe's Semi-Auto and a relube.

Once in a while I use spray brake cleaner to get in the extractor channel, mag-release holes, trigger spring, trigger bar, Firing pin tunnel, and around the trigger and sear areas. Then relube and start over.

Only a couple don't get used often, and those I take and wipe down and relube when the urge comes over me.

I have a family owned Belgium Browning Sweet 16 shotgun (ALL original parts) that is well over 50 years old and 100% reliable that likely started life being fed some 3-in-1 oil on a rag. I shoot it in a local shotgun steel comp. and have shot trap and hand thrown clays with it. My son will inherit it.

mattk
October 26, 2014, 12:46 PM
I won't carry a clean gun. Maybe I didn't put it back together again.
I don't keep them dirty dirty but my carry gun and night stand gun gets test fired after cleaning.

BSA1
October 26, 2014, 01:06 PM
When I was shooting IPSC after cleaning my 1911 I would go shoot a magazine through it to make sure everything was working correctly before the next match. That way I had time to get anything broke fixed.

herrwalther
October 26, 2014, 03:49 PM
I clean them when I think they are dirty. If I pocket carry for a couple months. There will be some lint down the barrel, that is a given. Blow it out with some compressed air or a patch if it sticks a little. After visiting the range I usually let them warm up (or cool down) to room temperature for a couple hours before cleaning.

stompah
October 26, 2014, 04:40 PM
I used to give a thorough scrub after ever range trip. Now I clean here and there usually after I notice the gjn not functioning as it should. When I am bored with nothing to do I will scrub one clean.

My carry gun gets attention after any 100+ round range trips. Or if I deem necessary.

Cleaning sucks shooting is fun.

bobinoregon
October 26, 2014, 04:47 PM
I always wipe down the outside, clean barrel when I think it needs it or I've ran corrosive ammo. I'm a backyard shooter, cleaning every time I shoot would take the fun out of it.

moxie
October 26, 2014, 05:27 PM
1. "A clean gun is a happy gun."

2. "Never let the sun set on a dirty gun."

These two aphorisms were taught to me in 1956 by the guy who taught me to shoot. I follow them and have never had a failure attributable to dirt or lube problems. Nor have I ever had any corrosion on a gun. Military or civilian. The exact type of cleaner/lube product is not very important. Spit is a decent cleaning agent when that's all you've got. And a fingertip full of old motor oil off a dipstick will get you through the night too. What really counts is elbow grease applied liberally and often.

45_auto
October 26, 2014, 05:52 PM
I follow them and have never had a failure attributable to dirt or lube problems. Nor have I ever had any corrosion on a gun. Military or civilian.

I don't follow them, and I have also never had a failure attributable to dirt or lube problems, nor any corrosion on a gun, military or civilian.

I was taught to never trust your life to a clean gun. I've seen too many guns accidentally assembled incorrectly that go "click" or turn into single-shots when you need them (M16's assembled with firing pins missing, M60's assembled with the gas piston reversed, 1911's assembled with the slide stop not through the barrel link, etc, etc).

Our standard procedure was to fire a few rounds into a "safety barrel" (55 gallon drum of sand) after cleaning.

mattk said it best:

I won't carry a clean gun. Maybe I didn't put it back together again.
I don't keep them dirty dirty but my carry gun and night stand gun gets test fired after cleaning.

tacxted
October 26, 2014, 05:55 PM
I clean my rifles and pistols infrequently. I could go to the range 2 or 4 times before a clean. I always clean after a rainy range trip or hunting trip.

bannockburn
October 26, 2014, 06:10 PM
The longest I go on cleaning my guns after using them is maybe a week. Typically if I can't get to them right away I spray them down with WD40 and surface clean the powder and lead residue off them. Regular cleaning is with Hoppes No.9 and a light coat of RemOil.

Jesse H
October 26, 2014, 09:56 PM
10k mile oil changes on my truck with synthetic oil; I clean my guns when I get to them. Sometimes it's after the range session/qualifications/3 day class. Other times it's a week later. I will always make sure it's got enough oil/lube to function properly and batteries for lights and optics are up to snuff.

If we get rained on I'll disassemble, dry and re-oil as soon as practical.

mgmorden
October 26, 2014, 09:59 PM
Depends. Most modern cleaning habits are left over from black powder days and aren't necessary anymore.

For handguns - I generally clean them "when they need it". For a frequently fired gun that might be every 4th or 5th range trip. For something infrequently fired once every few years.

For hunting rifles - once every few years has worked fine.

Exception for both of the above: if the gun gets wet (ie, if I'm out hunting/shooting and it starts raining) then I'll clean them when I get home.

For black powder, I clean right after I get home. If I was shooting corrosive ammo I'd do the same for that - but I generally don't shoot any corrosive ammo.

I don't tend to obsess over maintenance though. My car generally gets oil changes every 10-15k miles. Its 8 years old now - just rolled over 150k miles and has never given me a bit of trouble.

Warp
October 26, 2014, 11:06 PM
How often do you clean your guns? I clean mine right after shooting regardless of amount. Nothing but CLP and hoppes. (Chore boys for lead) If it sits around for 6 months to a year I'll touch it up with clp to prevent rust. I think I'm pretty anal about cleanliness, especially my duty guns. I always read about fte, ftf light strikes,etc but I've come to the conclusion that MOST of that is due to poor PMS. (Preventative maintenance) thoughts?

It varies.

For .22lr training/practice guns I might go several times with nothing or maybe just a couple boresnake pulls.

For my carry guns I'll field strip super quick and run a boresnake + use a patch on the feed ramp most of the time if it's say 50+ rounds.

AR's I may not do anything at all if it's <100 rounds or so and I intend to shoot it again within, oh, the next month

Short answer: I'm not too worried about cleaning often. I use enough lube and will add more lube if I'm not cleaning after so many rounds. IMO and IME being lubed is far more important than being 'clean'

moxie
October 26, 2014, 11:20 PM
There are ways to function check guns after re-assembly, of course. Don't need to fire a round to verify that. Re-assembling a BCG and checking for proper function, including firing pin presence and protrusion is part of normal ops. Nothing to it. Ditto for checking a 1911. If the slide stop isn't through the swivel link, nothing works. Period. Simple to check for these things and a wise person does those checks. In a military unit the buddy system or supervisory IPIs really help. Running a few snap caps through is a good idea too.

But, I really don't understand why firing a few rounds thru a cleaned/lubed gun would obviate the need to clean and lube it in the first place. You're talking about verifying proper re-assembly. Different issue. Of course the gun has to be put back together properly. No argument there at all.

JohnBiltz
October 27, 2014, 03:21 AM
Because a gun is a machine. Anytime you take it apart and put it back together is the most likely time for it to break or be assembled improperly. So it needs to be verified that it is working properly. Chances are the gun you are about to clean was working just fine although it was dirty. Because working it was what got it dirty. Odds are that you are more likely to mess it up taking it apart, cleaning it and putting it back together than that last round you put through it broke the gun.

duanebuck.schultz
October 27, 2014, 04:43 AM
I clean most of them after every use, except my EDC.

I also don't clean a hunting rifle after it is sighted in for the season. Unless, it is exposed to rain, melted snow, etc.

My Colt Dragoon replica is a cap and ball revolver, so I clean it after every use.

McAngus
October 27, 2014, 04:49 AM
Cleaning your gun is kind of like cleaning anything, you really need to do it often, or else you slack off more and more. Make it a habit, and be anal about it.

I am a huge CLP fan as well. Yeah there are probably better stuff, but CLP makes it quick and easy. And if it is quick and easy, than I am far more likely to do it.

Speaking of CLP, I think I might look into buying like a gallon of that stuff. I been paying about $8 to have it shipped from Amazon every once in awhile, probably could save money if I just get a gallon. Should last years!

Just found 1gallon of CLP on Amazon for about $100 shipped. Doing quick math, that is much cheaper than buying the small 4oz bottles.

1gal/128oz - $100
4oz - $7.30

Get the gallon and never buy CLP ever again!

ColtPythonElite
October 27, 2014, 04:55 AM
Make a gallon of Ed's Red. It will do everything CLP does for a fraction of the cost.

RetiredUSNChief
October 27, 2014, 08:41 AM
Make a gallon of Ed's Red. It will do everything CLP does for a fraction of the cost.

That would make for a mighty tasty gun!

http://www.edsred.com/

:D

Serously, I did find a site dedicated to the real-deal:

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Warp
October 27, 2014, 08:43 AM
Cleaning your gun is kind of like cleaning anything, you really need to do it often, or else you slack off more and more. Make it a habit, and be anal about it.

You are welcome to do it that way.

I would rather not.

Robert
October 27, 2014, 09:26 AM
I clean them when they need it. The only one I am super picky about is my 375H&H. Shooting solid copper bullets seems to leave a fair amount of fouling.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun cleaning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!