Aol!!!!!!!

PDA

trimation
February 6, 2003, 02:08 PM
I couldn't believe it. I went to my mom's house today and was using my sister's computer to browse the internet.

I wanted to check out the sig sauer website and it wouldn't let me.

My mom has an adult block on my sister's account and it blocked out all gun manufacturer websites as well.

Is it just me or is that absolutely ridiculous :fire:

Trimation

If you enjoyed reading about "Aol!!!!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheFrontRange
February 6, 2003, 02:12 PM
Nope, it's not just you...that IS ridiculous. Sweet of AOL to "protect" you like that, though, isn't it?

I have AOL at the homefront, too, with one of my daughters having the "young teen" access level...I'll check that out under her screen name. I'm sure those access levels do have some merit.

Our Internet access at work has some similar blocks on it...anything in a general "Weapons" category is blocked from our access. Same for some religious-themed websites I might otherwise browse.

denfoote
February 6, 2003, 02:38 PM
Maybe their anti gun stance has something to do with the fact that AOL/Time/Warner is losing millions a month!!:D

2nd Amendment
February 6, 2003, 02:40 PM
AOHell, the CheezWhiz of internet providers.

scottgun
February 6, 2003, 02:54 PM
Get rid of AOL! It isn't easy, they won't let you just call up and cancel. It takes repeated attempts. But it is possible.

There are so many other cheaper, faster, more reliable ISPs that don't censor online browsing. AOL is the McDonalds of the online world, low quality garbage, but available almost everywhere.

10-Ring
February 6, 2003, 02:54 PM
Maybe it's time to actually talk to your mom re: the true evils of the world.

dude
February 6, 2003, 03:22 PM
Ao-who??

.............never heard of it

RobW
February 6, 2003, 03:58 PM
I got rid of AOL 4 years ago!

Bainx
February 6, 2003, 04:09 PM
I warned my brother in law not to sign up with AOL. He did anyway. He tried to ditch it in sight of a day or two. It took repeated phone calls and finally he threatened legal action to get them to cancel him!

Mike Irwin
February 6, 2003, 04:19 PM
Well, everyone KNOWS that firearms are just penis replacements for men who doubt themselves... :rolleyes:

hansolo
February 6, 2003, 04:49 PM
Hey Guys & Gals,

I am really ready to ditch Almost On Line -- What ISP's do y'all recommend?

Thanks!:cool:

MrAcheson
February 6, 2003, 05:15 PM
Broadband is nice. I have DSL, my brother has cable modem. Very fast, very fun.

gryphon
February 6, 2003, 05:20 PM
Get a cable modem or DSL service, just the service, not the packages from places like Earthlink, AOL and such. Check your local area for broadband providers. Cable modems can usually be found through the cable companies and DSL is usually found through the phone company.

They provide access to the internet and e-mail addresses and you can use any browser you want and any e-mail programs you want.

I've been using Linux with my broadband. As long as your OS has the drivers for the ethernet card or whatever device you use to connect to the external modem, your set.

45R
February 6, 2003, 06:32 PM
now are the parental controls only for the "AOL BROWSER"

Try using the Internet Explorer Browser

Redlg155
February 6, 2003, 07:04 PM
I got rid of AOL a couple of months ago. Well...I thought I did until I called a few days ago. The Salesman in charge of cancellation (I'd be a fool to think they put anyone but a saleman in charge of cancellations there) told me he would cancel my account and then give me two months free to switch all of my Emails over. When I called to make sure everything was to cancel as planned they informed me that he only gave me two months free and no cancellation order was given.

Needless to say I was peeved. Called them again and got a cancellation number. I'm going to hound them the next few days to make sure they keep on top of things.

Ohh..and when you cancel don't ever log on again after the cancellation is completed. I was told if I ever wanted AOL back, all I had to do was log on again and it would restart my AOL service immediately.:eek:

Good Shooting
RED

Quartus
February 6, 2003, 07:20 PM
If you are (or say you are) a supporter of freedom, in particular the 2A, you should NOT be using AOL. THey are seriously anti, not only guns but anti American. I could give you a list of conservative organizations who's members have had a lot of trouble with getting email newsletters on AOL accounts. Odd - the problem keeps recurring, and only on AOL, and only to conservative groups.

Dump AOL.

Diesle
February 6, 2003, 07:20 PM
My family will never be 'exposed' to AOL.

Deisle

scottgun
February 6, 2003, 07:24 PM
For braodband service try AT&T cable broad band or Roadrunner. I think RR is east coast only. I use Qwest DSL and they are so-so with service and support, but I hear good things about AT&T service. It can vary a lot on where you are located, city/suburban/rural, as to the type of connection available, so check around.

J Miller
February 6, 2003, 07:25 PM
We have used AOL for several years. We have a tremendous ammount of stuff in the files. I am in the process of transfering it to OutdoorsUnlimited. Once we get all the files transfered we are going to transfer OU to our secondary drive and reformat the C or main drive to get rid of all AOL files and programming. Then transfer OU back to the main drive.
AOL takes up a tremendous ammount of hard drive space. Unless you reformat, you'll never get rid of it.

Standing Wolf
February 6, 2003, 08:36 PM
I don't do business with companies that practice anti-Second Amendment bigotry.

labgrade
February 6, 2003, 09:24 PM
Get a local ISP. I don't do business with anything "national."

AT&T's just as bad as anything else who must lay their name on what you get to see.

Why even have to look at their advestisements?

Just buy into a local ISP, get clean 'net service & be done with it.

Guy B. Meredith
February 6, 2003, 10:54 PM
AOL gives away the CDs. Do you really wonder why? Not a decent song on them but they make passable Frisbee type toys.

Wildalaska
February 7, 2003, 01:15 AM
I started a thread on this a few weeks ago..what everyone must do is convince their shooting buddies and email buddies to dump AOL...the word just isnt out yet..

WilddumpemAlaska

Mr Jody Hudson
February 7, 2003, 01:22 AM
I am surprised no one has mentioned Earthlink. I have been a VERY satisfied customer for years. They have national numbers, all the various high speed options, dial up, webmail, great tutorials on everything and the best customer service I've experienced in any company I've done business with.

Earthlink.com and Earthlink.net before that Mindspring was my favorite and Earthlink bought them and improved them.

PATH
February 7, 2003, 01:41 AM
AOL Time Warner is bleeding out money. Hopefully they will join the ranks of the bankrupt like that other anti-gun crowd at K-Mart.
AOL truly bites!:fire:

dude
February 7, 2003, 03:35 AM
Earthlink fan here........dial-up......... for 5 years or so now

I travel ALOT and have never had a pop-up, disconnect or problem getting online on the first try either at home or on the road.

Kahr carrier
February 7, 2003, 07:44 AM
They Suck :neener:

CatsDieNow
February 7, 2003, 08:01 AM
AOL gives away the CDs. Do you really wonder why? Not a decent song on them but they make passable Frisbee type toys.

I have collected a complete set of the limited edition "patriotic" AOL coasters complete with decorative tin for my coffee table.

Also, AOL CD's look really cool in the microwave. (place on paper towel, 5 seconds maximum...no more or the plastic will melt.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Aol!!!!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!