Finally fired my AR

PDA

unlimited4x4
November 21, 2014, 06:36 PM
So I have had this built for over a year, but due to personal and financial issues I never had a chance to shoot it. It's a spikes lower, PSA M4 upper and a combo of BCM and PSA internals. I was using a magpul rear peep site at the range. I love it! It was such a blast to shoot. Today was a function test day and I have the sites set for minute of man at 50 yards. I put about 200 rounds through it. The only issue happened on the last mag. The trigger reset was smooth between shots until the last 20. During the last 20 I would shoot, the trigger would reset, but feel like it was hanging up halfway before it fully reset. At this point I'm going to break it down and clean it and assume the trigger issue is part of the parts breaking in.

I'd like to say thanks to all those who contribute on this site. I built this rifle based on the knowledge shared here. I can't wait to get out and shoot again!

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally fired my AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DougW
November 21, 2014, 08:13 PM
Cool! Clean and lube well.There may be some debris in the trigger group from the first session, but it sounds like it ran well. Congrats on your build. Now, start reloading, buying more ammo, accessories,etc..........

Oh, and be ready to drop some serious coin when you build one for your wife/girlfriend. My wife said I can buy as much ammo for HER carbine as necessary. I just finished reloading 570 rounds of .223 for HER!

unlimited4x4
November 21, 2014, 09:04 PM
Already thinking of the "hers" model. She does not like the 5.56 though. I may have a go at building a 9mm for her using the new PSA kits out.

tactikel
November 21, 2014, 09:06 PM
Congrats on your first build!! It won't be your last.
Regarding your having problems at the end of your session, it may be because of dirt/carbon build up. Be sure to lube your AR well. Things will loosen up over time, just be sure to shoot it a lot!!

henschman
November 21, 2014, 10:06 PM
Glad you like it! Looks like you used some pretty good parts, too.

You ever thought about going to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic with it? They'll teach you what you need to know to shoot minute of man out to 500 yards. Shooting those Army Qualification Tests with an AR is a real blast (as well as a challenge). www.appleseedinfo.org

unlimited4x4
November 21, 2014, 10:16 PM
Actually I have thought about doing an Appleseed shoot. I want take my daughter with me. I just haven't had the chance to pursue it.

chris in va
November 21, 2014, 10:44 PM
I took the Appleseed a few years ago. Just so you know, there's a LOT of calisthenics involved...prone, sit, stand...repeat.

Fossil4Life
November 22, 2014, 12:26 AM
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Bought an AAC 300 Blackout last year, have yet to shoot it much less mount my Aimpoint on it. So many guns, so little time. :o

carbine85
November 22, 2014, 08:22 AM
Check your pins and see if they walked-out. The only issues I can think of that can cause the reset problem are the pins, under gassed, out of spec parts, or the disconnector and spring.

unlimited4x4
November 22, 2014, 09:35 AM
Carbine85, thanks for the tips. I'm going to do the breakdown and clean today. I'll let you know what I find.

unlimited4x4
November 22, 2014, 03:58 PM
So I stripped it down and did not see anything obvious. I was surprised at actually how un-fouled the inside was compared to some of my other weapons after 200 rounds. So. I'll just take it out again and see what happens. Thanks for the responses.

Hardtarget
November 22, 2014, 11:09 PM
After reading your post I started thinking of how much fun I had on that first range trip with my AR. That was just March...maybe...but it was FUN.

Shot mine today...still fun.

As you get comfy with it and start pushing the target further...it'll get a different level of fun with each 50 yards. You'll figure out what bullet weight it likes. I'm sure you've been considering all that kind of stuff.

Have fun...enjoy...go shooting!

Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally fired my AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!