Ebay rule change?

PDA

Sisco
February 6, 2003, 05:12 PM
Browsing items on ebay, I was looking at a Marlin firearms patch. The seller had this in his description:

"Well up till last week, I have had a list of what all I could offer you here on Ebay, so you could find them with a search, been that way for 4 years. Now Ebay says I can't tell you I have items for many of the Firearm, Ammunition, and Knife Manufacturer available ?"

I checked the rulebook, no apparent change since last time I looked
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-firearms.html

I e-mailed him asking what the heck was up with that. If he replies I'll post the answer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ebay rule change?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sisco
February 6, 2003, 06:39 PM
Sellers reply to my e-mail:

Hey, up till last week I had this statement in all my sales

""" Rather your interest is Beretta, Colt , H & K, N - F , Ruger , S&W "
Smith & Wesson " , TAURUS, Remington , Winchester Firearms, GLOCK or any
of a dz. others. Rather it's Shotguns, Rifles, Hand Guns, Pistols,
Semi-Automatic, Pumps, Repeating, or Single Shot, Reloading, Bullet,
Hunting, or Knife related. """"

They shut down a few, and sent me a nasty letter over it, said it was
spamming ) and if I did it any
more I would be in trouble with them ! I had used the same paragraph for
over 3 years ?

Such is the nature of E-Beast :)

But my replacement fit into the rules, and I have had several folks ask :)

He added in another reply:

I got a really good one that I sell, it is a reproduction of an 1880's Texas Ranger Badge. Ebay says NO !
So I pit a leather strap on it, call it a watch fob :) and explain it to the customers, in the add, and that meets with their approval ?

The place is ran by empty heads !

J Miller
February 6, 2003, 06:51 PM
Hmmmm, this is interesting. My wife is gearing up to try to sell some of her crafts on eBay. I have some gun parts I was thinking of selling.
So maybe I'll get busy and read then reread their rules. I wouldn't want to cause myself any trouble.

Average Guy
February 6, 2003, 07:45 PM
On eBay, I sold Taurus mag extensions with a picture of a mag ("not included"). I sold three different sets of pistol grips--in the pictures, the grips were attached to (gasp!) actual guns. I also bought and sold Ruger P-85 parts--complete set minus the frame--noting that "this is not a firearm."

Never had any trouble, as long as I made things clear. On the other hand, I'll bet you *could* sell a gun on eBay, as long as you stated clearly that "This is NOT a gun." :evil:

EJ
February 6, 2003, 07:49 PM
Thgey don't "Allow" mags with more then 10Rd Cap--
So all the 20 and 30 rd AR/AK mags are "listed" as ten rounders--

Same with other stuff--

Real dinks--

Thank heavens--

What would our lives be like if the antis had brains--:uhoh:

illuminatus99
February 6, 2003, 08:32 PM
yup, I've even seen a couple of "ten round" drums for the AK on ebay

Guyon
February 6, 2003, 08:44 PM
10 round AK drum? Now that's funny. Do those run a little cheaper than the 75 round drums?

Kframe
February 6, 2003, 08:46 PM
Ebay's rules are those of morons, but since they are morons, it's nice that you can beat them with semantics.
I love it, seeing a 15rd factory G19 magazine listed as, "this magazine can hold ten rounds of ammunition".
LOL :neener: :p :neener: :p :neener:

Reminds me of the old days; "I swear mom, I did not eat one single cookie." ;)

-Kframe

HABU
February 6, 2003, 08:48 PM
Last week I saw an auction for an 80% frame for a 1911. It was listed as a paper weight!:D :neener:

WonderNine
February 6, 2003, 09:47 PM
yup, I've even seen a couple of "ten round" drums for the AK on ebay

LoL!

Was it listed as a "model 75"?

:D

ajacobs
February 6, 2003, 10:17 PM
There are two things I can think of. One is keyword spamming that is where you list other brand names in the description of items or in the title. They are more lenient in the description. I wish this policy was enforced more. Nothing worse than trying to search something and getting several pages of auctions that say stuff like "like ll bean" or " jacket similar to carhart filson" I know what I want to buy and don't want all that extra stuff making it harder to find it. The more likely cause of what your talking about though is the new ebay VeRO policy. This has to do with copyright infringemnet and I am not certain as to all the details but I know it has been causing quite and uproar and there are many claims of abuse.

Sisco
February 6, 2003, 11:32 PM
ajacobs I understand what you're talking about in reference to the spamming, but in this case the guy is selling patches or pins with those brand names on them.
What I think you're talking about is when the sellers put almost a full page of 'keywords' on their ad that have nothing to do with the stupid CD's or other junk they're trying to peddle.
I do get a kick out of seeing a 30 round M1 carbine mag and the description reads "Per ebay rules, I'm listing this as a ten round magazine"

swingset
February 7, 2003, 12:30 AM
I bought a Sig 220 on ebay - several years ago! :D

It was perfectly okeedokee to do when ebay first started. Too bad they don't allow the legal sale of legal items anymore....or do they??

I saw an auction about 6 months ago that was a complete barreled reciever of a GEW 98, with all parts there, plus stock (it had just been disassembled).

The listing said something to the effect of "Mauser parts, nearly complete", but you could clearly tell that the entire rifle was there.

It did complete the process and sold, though I would have just stuck it on AA or GB and been done with it. Funny tho that people find a way to screw the morons.

Wildalaska
February 7, 2003, 01:08 AM
Their web site, their rules...why make a Federal Case out of it..???

There are some Gun Boards that wont allow ads for firearms arent there?

WildsowhatAlaska

CZ-75
February 7, 2003, 01:23 AM
Right you are.

Still, it is fun to see how much you can get by with there.

I even bought a nice spare mag for my Ljungman rifle on eBay, which aren't easy to find, BTW.

I recently thought about buying a new Office XP there, but it is just easier to go to Pricegrabber.com than read all the fine print or "spam" (i.e., just as good as Office XP, etc.), that tells me that what is being sold isn't a full version, etc, and is more expensive than I can buy from a retailer.

Major caveat emptor there, as you will possibly end up buying something that wasn't correctly represented, as those trying to pass off the academic version of Office as the retail version attest, in my experience.

Kahr carrier
February 7, 2003, 08:08 AM
Ebay They are based in the Prk. LOL.:neener:

ajacobs
February 7, 2003, 07:39 PM
but in this case the guy is selling patches or pins with those brand names on them

That probally is the VeRO policy then. Manufactures or their represenitive can end auctions (with no proof mind you) saying that they violate their trademark. It was made to stop illegal copyright infiringment. Things like if I were to make glock t shirts at my local screen printer and then sell them on ebay. Unfortunatly what has happend is companies have appointed people to police this on ebay who are often other ebay sellers. They eliminate the competition even on factory produced stuff

If you enjoyed reading about "Ebay rule change?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!