Rock River Arms LAR-15 Midlength accuracy report

November 30, 2014, 07:04 PM
Got to the range today, and I'm quite impressed. I started out with some plinking rounds to get the scope sighted in. These were Hornady 55gr SP bullets loaded over top of H-322 (can't remember the charge off hand without rummaging through my reloading pile). 50:50 mix of brass and steel reloads. I sighted in the rifle at 50 yards, then moved the target to 100 yards to shoot some groups. Here's what I got:

Not bad! Interestingly, that's about the same size group that my RRA Varmint A4 shot with this same ammo.

Next I loaded a mag with some Fiocchi commercial ammo with 40gr VMax bullets. Again, impressed!

Sub-MOA! Conditions were windy, and the target stand kept getting blown back and forth, so it might improve on a calmer day. Also, my shooting support was mediocre to say the least. I'd also like to see what this rifle will do with, say, 50+ gr VMaxes.

Now the question I need to ask myself is whether or not I should spend some money on a free float tube, or ammo (I'm thinking the latter...).

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock River Arms LAR-15 Midlength accuracy report" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
November 30, 2014, 08:48 PM
Supernice !

November 30, 2014, 11:58 PM
Good shootin. Howd you get those cool number thingys on your target.

Welding Rod
December 1, 2014, 12:46 AM
I never shot a RRA 223/556 that wasn't pretty darn accurate.

December 1, 2014, 10:22 AM
Steel reloads, you said in the first post? Are you really reloading steel?

December 1, 2014, 03:08 PM
Yes, and it works quite well! I only load them a few times before I chuck them. I would never use it for match quality ammo, but for plinkers its great.

December 1, 2014, 05:25 PM
If that is a bull barrel profile I wouldn't bother to float it, but it's up to you. Sub minute accuracy is plenty good for anything that you would need and you are already there. Try some Sierra 52 match bullets over 23gr of 2015 and get back with us...

January 18, 2015, 05:11 PM
Went to the range again today to test some loads with 55gr Hornady SP bullets. Check out this sub-1/2 MOA group!

I know, I know, its only a 3 shot group. I'm still in the load development stages and will be testing a few more loads, but for hunting accuracy you just can't beat that!

Incidentally, I also shot another 3 shot group of the Fiocchi 40gr VMax ammo. Almost 1/2 MOA!

Keep in mind that this is out of a stock RRA LAR-15 middy with a non-floated barrel. Nice!

January 18, 2015, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't mess with a rifle that accurate, but it's up to you.

Nice groups.

January 18, 2015, 06:09 PM
Ya know, I had wanted to free float the barrel when I first got it because I had no idea the rifle would be anywhere near this accurate. I agree, I'm not gonna mess with this rifle!

January 18, 2015, 06:19 PM
Which trigger is in that rifle? The RRA Varmit trigger is pretty nice and affordable.

January 18, 2015, 06:26 PM
Just the standard RRA two stage match trigger. I've not shot a rifle with their varmint trigger but as nice as this one is I can't imagine ever needing to change it.

January 18, 2015, 08:36 PM
I don't own an AR, but if I decide to buy one it'll be an RRA (probably in 6.8 SPCII). RRA seems to be the best for my needs (an accurate deer-capable semi-auto with a nice two stage trigger). Before anyone says it, I realize that Colt is the best AR if I have to kick down doors and plan to be in a lot of shootouts, but that's not what I would be buying an AR for.

Out of curiosity, what's the typical difference between MSRP and street price on an RRA AR? The 6.8 I'd buy is around $1100 MSRP.

January 18, 2015, 09:07 PM
YEah, I ve handled a RRA with the two stage trigger years ago and it was light and crisp. The thing with RRA it stays with 1 to 9 twist ratio unless otherwise.

January 18, 2015, 09:19 PM
You know, I was a little disappointed that this rifle didn't have the 1 in 8" Wylde chamber, but honestly, with the groups I'm getting (at least at 100 yards), I'm not complaining!

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock River Arms LAR-15 Midlength accuracy report" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!