Employee Manual chuckles

PDA

TheFrontRange
February 6, 2003, 06:18 PM
I work for a financial institution where, of course, bringing firearms onto company property is prohibited.

I did happen to stumble across a section in one of the official company manuals that addresses the proper equipment for security guards. You fellow gunners may get a chuckle out of this commentary from the manual:

"Uniformed guards may carry a revolver or semi-automatic pistol using the following calibers: 38 special; 38-40; 9mm Parabellum; 41 magnum (low speed loads); 44 special; and 45 ACP. No ammunition know as magnum, high velocity, metal piercing, or similar names and designed to achieve exceptional penetration shall be carried in a firearm. Reserve ammunition carried in belt loops or pouches shall have nickel plated cases."

My first double-take was at that reference to .38-40...sort of like Festus or maybe even Marshal Dillon himself might work a shift here one day. The note about "low-speed" .41 Magnum loads was a little dated, and I found the .44 Special mention interesting, too...not to knock those cartridges, but I doubt too many security folks are packing .41s these days.

Granted, I'm sure this material was NOT written directly by one of our marketing or compliance folks...it was probably lifted in turn from some standard liability-related template authored by a pack of attorneys, just maybe back in, I don't know...the '50s or '60s?

I took the liberty of emailing our person who's in charge of the manuals, though...pointed out that we probably wouldn't find a .38-40 weapon in anybody's duty rig anytime soon and that maybe the list should be expanded to include .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, etc., etc....hmmmm...I never got a reply, imagine that.

(This should probably be posted under the thread "You Know You're A Gun Nut If...)

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Employee Manual chuckles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
February 6, 2003, 07:00 PM
Reserve ammunition carried in belt loops or pouches shall have nickel plated cases. I like that. They're paying attention to the style coordinator who doesn't want discolored brass casings detracting from the spiffy uniforms.... :rolleyes:

TheFrontRange
February 6, 2003, 07:03 PM
LOL...yes, I think you're right! I thought that was a nice touch to keep that "uniform" appearance among our guard staff! :)

Peetmoss
February 6, 2003, 07:31 PM
Maybe they wrote that section for John Wayne :D

Kframe
February 6, 2003, 09:10 PM
The wording of that policy reminds me of the good old days with uniformed milkmen, polite deliverymen, shirt and tie wearing taxidrivers, drive-in burger stands, '41 Pontiacs, soda fountains, ......
who says progress is progress?

-Kframe

redneck
February 6, 2003, 09:47 PM
I just can't wait to show up to work with my swift draw rig, totin a big bone handled hawgleg in 38-40 an extra shells clear round my waist :D
Seriously.
"Don't stop I'll shoot ya anyhow. ya filthy varmint."

Khornet
February 7, 2003, 02:07 PM
that the .40 S&W is ballistically really a .38-40

Brad Johnson
February 7, 2003, 06:59 PM
I spent a couple of years doing human resource consulting, and it's friggin' amazing to see some of the tomfoolery in most employee handbooks.

The keys to a good handbook are

-Keep it short
-Keep it simple
-Allow for constructive interpretation of the rules
-State in plain languange what will happen when the rules are intentionally and egregiously broken, and
-KEEP IT CURRENT!!

Brad

p.s. Here is a graphic example of the over-complexity of most employee handbooks

http://www.redcoat.net/pics/backbone-patching.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Employee Manual chuckles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!