Remington 878 Price

PDA

lpsharp88
December 30, 2014, 11:11 PM
I'm interested in purchasing a used Remington 878 from a future family member. The serial number is under 1050, so it is most likely a first day production firearm (1959). I have only seen a picture (see below) and it appears to be in good condition. Asking price is $400. Is that a fair price? What are things to look out for when looking at the shotgun later?
Thanks in advance for the advice

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 878 Price" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneounceload
December 30, 2014, 11:36 PM
My concern would parts availability. I am not familiar with that model, so can you get parts if something wears or breaks?

lpsharp88
December 30, 2014, 11:39 PM
That was my worry too. I believe somewhere around 60,000 were made in total. So it's not exactly common like the 870 for example.

Old Shooter
December 30, 2014, 11:45 PM
Numrich lists quite a few parts for the 878.You might want to scroll thru the list to see what is available , items sold out may be an indicator of what parts may be potential problems with the gun, or may not.

Virginian
December 31, 2014, 11:00 AM
Basically it's a Sportsman 58 with a plainer finish and without the adjustable magazine cap. Feels the same. $400 in VG to Ex condition is fair. Only "weak links" are the attachment between the piston and the action arms and the fact the piston is inside the mag tube and harder to clean, but if it does fail it's pretty easy to fix better than new. A lot of people actually preferred the handling of the 58/878 to the 1100, which is saying something, but the other features of the 1100 won out.

lpsharp88
December 31, 2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I'll keep researching online

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 878 Price" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!