A press that will do all rifle and pistol calibers?

PDA

twoblink
February 6, 2003, 09:17 PM
I don't know much about presses, and so I thought I'd ask.. (it's what you reloaders are great for!!)

I can't tell, but from some if the pictures, the presses vary greatly in size; and so I was wondering; later on, I will want to crank out my own bullets;

Riflewise; 308 probably is the biggest
Pistols; ranging from .40SW, .357Mag and .357Sig and .38Spl...

I assume that most presses will do these, given that you buy different dyes?

I just have some reservations, as some of the presses look very tiny...

Also, recommendations? I want a progressive...

If you enjoyed reading about "A press that will do all rifle and pistol calibers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
capbuster
February 6, 2003, 09:53 PM
To my knowledge all of the presses currently available will handle all your standard size rifle cases and of course pistol cases as well.If they didnt the manufacturers would have a noted in their adds stating "for pistol cartridges only".The exception being the Dillon square deal progressive press.It is for pistol cartridges only.Starting out I would recommend a good heavy duty single stage press like those made by rcbs,lyman, redding,and hornady to name a few.Some of these companies offer kits which contain the press and almost everything you will need to get started.These are a great savings when you compare these items purchased separately. If your mind is set on a progressive, I would recommend the Dillon 550. It will do just fine for your rifle and handgun reloading chores.

dakotasin
February 6, 2003, 11:17 PM
most of the presses, especially single-stage presses will handle your needs.

i have a rockchucker (rcbs), and am very happy w/ it. very easily loads everything i load for (currently at 7 different rifle calibers including the 308, and 3 handgun calibers including 357/38 <-- same die loads these two).

i don't know the biggest cartridge a rockchucker will handle... but i do know it will handle the 338.

BIGR
February 6, 2003, 11:53 PM
My RCBS Rockchucker has served me well over the years. It is a strong heavy duty press that has taken the abuse. However there are others out there that work just as well. Alot of times it boils down to personal preference. Happy reloading.

Art Eatman
February 7, 2003, 04:30 PM
I guess that if you're doing a lot of full-length resizing for the larger cases, you might want something like a Rockchucker. For the majority of reloading, most any C-press will do just fine. I'd avoid aluminum frames, however...

Art

Frohickey
February 7, 2003, 05:12 PM
Can't go wrong with a RCBS Rockchucker.

According to Corbin, its one of those presses that are built strong enough to be able to swage certain bullets with.

The Rockchucker can handle pretty much all of the pistol and rifle cartridges, except for 50BMG. Then again, there are not too many presses out there that can handle the 50BMG... the RCBS Ammomaster can.

I've got a Rockchucker as well as a RCBS Pro 2000. I do like RCBS, and their customer service. One thing you will definitely need is a good bench, preferably one that does not flex when you are full-length resizing a spent case.

Poodleshooter
February 7, 2003, 05:30 PM
I don't believe the Lee Pro1000 progressive functions with cases much longer than .223, either. It's about the same size as the Square Deal B.
I load 7mm Remington Magnum on one of the smallest, weakest presses available: a Lee "C" frame single stage made from aluminum or possibly cast zinc.
You'll never get a straight answer on the progressives. Everyone has their favorites (LocknLoad,Dillon 650, RCBS,etc). Peruse the threads on this at the old Firing Line.

HSMITH
February 7, 2003, 09:34 PM
My choice would be the Dillon 550 hands down. It will load anything you want to shoot up to 460 Weatherby, and down to 32ACP. Stout does not even begin to describe the construction, you will never hurt the press.

cheygriz
February 8, 2003, 12:40 AM
FIRST: BUY A COPY OF THE LYMAN RELOADING MANUAL AND READ IT!!!!!

For a single stage press, I don't believe that the Redding Boss can be beaten. (The same applies to ALL Redding reloading tools and dies) My second choice would be a tie between the Lyman Crusher and the RCBS Rockchucker. (I have the oder Lyman Orange Crusher and it has served my very well)

For a progressive reloading machine, IMHO the Dillon XL650 has no peers. It's a bit pricey, but the best always is.

SASS#23149
February 8, 2003, 01:08 AM
Another vote for the Dillon 550b.You can learn on it by using it as a single-stage,then when you FULLY understand what each die does and have learned to respect the components involved ,you can go progressive...but DON'T rush it when you do.Speed is secondary in reloading,safety is PRIMARY.
Speed will happen as you learn.I think it's wrong for the press mfgs.to tout the rounds-per-hour for a press,but I can see why they do it.
Mike

cheygriz
February 8, 2003, 11:54 PM
SASS,

Excellent advice re. safety.

My motto for reloading is:

Velocity, economy, accuracy are all desireable, but safety is mandatory.

MCNETT
February 9, 2003, 04:07 AM
Best one that will do it all? Dillon 1050.
If you can't afford one, then any "O" single stage will do.
-Mike

Hicap30
February 10, 2003, 06:08 PM
Redding Turrent T-7 press, you can load single stage or turrent. It's strong, and well built and I'm partial because I own one :-).
Really there are alot of good presses out there, it depends on color preferences.

twoblink
February 10, 2003, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys, (now I'm more confused) ;)

When I get a press; I will use it as a single press until I'm very comfortable (I suspect that I will be reloading at the rate of 5 a day, with how anal I am) but I want a press that I won't outgrow; I mean if I decide I really DO need that 300WSM, I want a press that will do that...

ArmaLube
February 11, 2003, 12:23 AM
I suggest that you give serious consideration to the already mentioned Redding T-7 Turret Press. This item costs $160.00, or less. Shop for the best deal.

Turret presses let you keep dies in place while you reload. In the case of the T-7, there are 7 die stations. So, you could reload two or more calibers, without changing dies.

Since the operations are separately performed, you have full control over each step. For example, you can deprime your cases and manually clean the primer pockets before proceeding to the next step of priming.

The Redding T-7 is a very sturdy press that will handle anything you will ever need with respect to cartridge sizes. Plenty of leverage and mechanical strength here.

Later, if you decide you need to reload in high volume production, THEN you can consider adding a progressive machine to your collection.

There are relatively few good turret presses produced these days and even fewer good progressive systems. In the progressives, Dillon is the leader. But, I don't think you need to start out with a Dillon, and you may never need to move up to high volume reloading. For most people, a few hundred rounds at a time is plenty.

Good luck with your entry into reloading. Remember to place great attention on safety (no smoking, wear protective eye wear, watch powder types, powder loads, and primers very carefully. Mistakes in reloading are not good.

Bullet making can be viewed as a separate ball game. For pistols, the most practical approach in my view is bullet casting. This approach has no implications on your choice of a press. Should you decide to get into bullet swaging, then some other considerations come into play. For swaging a high-strength single station press would probably be the best way to go. I would add another press for this purpose and select something such an O-frame for maximum strength. The Redding T-7 is strong and would permit swaging, but I think a separate single station press is the best way to proceed for swaging.

I like bullet casting, and would recommend that you give it a try, before considering bullet swaging.

"ArmaLube (http://www.armalube.com) Hits The Mark"

shootingfarm
February 11, 2003, 09:22 AM
If you want a progressive, you want a Dillon, IMO.

Paul

Frohickey
February 11, 2003, 06:51 PM
There are multiple types of press construction. They are described by the shape the press body is.
- O-type press. These are the strongest type of presses. The cartridge case is inside of an 'O' ring of steel, and dimensionally, should be the best for accurate reloading. The disadvantage to this is that it is heavier and might not give as much visibility.
- C-type press. Strength is sacrificed for visibility in this press. This would be suitable for short length cases.
- I-type press. These are generally very small presses suitable for field-use. You will get Popeye-arms if you use this to load your IDPA loads. :D

Then, there is the single stage vs progressives, which come in all 3 types. (Maybe not the I-type for the progressive, progressive presses are large monstrosities anyway.) Single stage presses generally are cheaper than progressives, so the startup costs is easier to swallow, especially for people that are unsure if they will be reloading for a long time to come.

twoblink, from your list of wants... 308Win, 40S&W, 357Sig, 38Spc/357Mag, and 'cranking out bullets', no progressive press can do that. A Rockchucker can do both ammo and bullets, but the bullets would have to be small caliber bullets, and definitely soft lead bullets only. To crank out jacketted bullets you need a dedicated bullet swaging press (which can be used as a single stage reloading press too).

Sounds like you should start with an inexpensive progressive press and see if reloading is something you would want to do.

cordex
February 13, 2003, 10:40 AM
I'd vote for a Dillon progressive if you plan on loading a lot for any of your calibers.
But Art might scowl 'cause it's aluminum framed.

twoblink
February 14, 2003, 04:15 AM
hmm.. I'm not too fond of aluminum frames. I don't believe "lasts forever" and "aluminum" can be used in the same sentence...

Carlos
February 14, 2003, 10:19 AM
I'd recommend a single stage to start out with, but once you learn the process, get yourself the best - Dillon. I have a 550B. Ordering another quick change kit (with powder measure), so I can swap calibers in about a minute.

Do learn the process manaually first. Get the Lyman book. when you get started, you'll probably be doing about 50 rounds in about 2 hours or so??

Stay safe. It's a fun hobby. I'm loading .45 ACP for $4.08 a box now. If you're interested in playing around with costs, I built a great reloading spreadsheet, so you can calculate down to a grain of powder on cost. You want? I send. PM or email me.

Carl

Master Blaster
February 14, 2003, 05:02 PM
You do realize that the wings and bodies on commercial airliners
are made out of ALUMINUM?

Talk about a high stress application.

Most engine blocks these days are also made from aluminum.

Your favorite pistol frame???????

I like my dillon 550 alot. Its design is excellent, the Hornady lock-n-load is also a nice press, I just dont care for the fact that the whole primer feed moves up and down with the shell plate, and the open part faces your face. The Dillon provides shielding should a primer explode.

PDshooter
February 16, 2003, 12:05 PM
Hands down! RCBS Rockchucker:)
I've had mine 14yrs+
I reload
30-06
25-06
218bee
45ACP
.357 & 38s

Maybe a little slow! But it won't break!

hydraulicman
August 7, 2009, 04:37 PM
I like my dillon 550B. I just got done working up a load in 9MM i love the manual indexing:D

I can't wait to try rifle on this machine. (though i do plan to size the cases on my rock chucker suprime) but if i did not have the rock chucker the dillon would handle it all just fine.

RockchuckerII
August 7, 2009, 04:59 PM
In another post above it was stated that the Rockchucker would not load the 50BMG, The newer Supreme model will do the job just fine. Although I do most my reloading on the 550b the supreme does all my rifle loads. I'd definitely start out on either the single stage or the lee cast turret.

jerkface11
August 7, 2009, 05:28 PM
Forster Co-Ax and never look back.

loadedround
August 7, 2009, 06:24 PM
You stated that you wanted a progrssive press. As others have said, go with a Dillon 500B and don't look back. It will do everything you want it to do and then some. :)

Walkalong
August 7, 2009, 06:28 PM
We're looking back to 2003. Reckon the OP is around?

LNL, and don't look back, as long as we are suggesting presses. ;)

The Bushmaster
August 8, 2009, 10:31 AM
:D:D:D:D:neener::D:D:D:D

Galil5.56
August 8, 2009, 11:06 AM
Your request has Dillon 550B written all over it IMO and experience. Install a single die in the first station and use just like a single stage press at first, then add more dies and load a single round progressively, then when ready fill all the stations and let it do its thing.

I still use and love my old RCBS RS Special for load work up/experiments/real low volume loading, but really enjoy the mechanics and operation of my 550B. I'm not a rabid fanboy of any brand, and hope whatever you pick makes you happy.

BigJakeJ1s
August 9, 2009, 01:40 PM
With the LNL AP, you can load single stage, even with a case feeder. Just remove all the dies but the one you want to use (very easy on the AP). Unlike the 650, the LNL AP and 550 only dispense a new primer when needed. For turret style loading on the LNL AP, install all the dies, but just load a new case every 5th pull, and it will end up in the cartridge bin when finished. Or load fully progressive; either way, you have 5 stations and auto-indexing.

Andy

lgbloader
August 9, 2009, 02:01 PM
We're looking back to 2003. Reckon the OP is around? we love digging up old bones, don't we.

by the way, If I had to start over based on what I shoot right now, I'd buy a Lee Classic Cast and a Lee Classic turret.

I'm not shooting 1k of 45acp and my wife is not shooting 1k of 9mm a month anymore and we aren't blasting the black guns like we used to.

LGB

lykoris
August 9, 2009, 03:20 PM
A press that will do all rifle and pistol calibers?
I don't know much about presses, and so I thought I'd ask.. (it's what you reloaders are great for!!)

I can't tell, but from some if the pictures, the presses vary greatly in size; and so I was wondering; later on, I will want to crank out my own bullets;

Riflewise; 308 probably is the biggest
Pistols; ranging from .40SW, .357Mag and .357Sig and .38Spl...

I assume that most presses will do these, given that you buy different dyes?

I just have some reservations, as some of the presses look very tiny...

Also, recommendations? I want a progressive...

without mentioning volume you shoot per calibre/your budget it's impossible to answer your question.

it also depends on why you want to reload - although I think you're going for volume/economy over accuracy.

lykoris
August 9, 2009, 03:29 PM
I suspect that I will be reloading at the rate of 5 a day, with how anal I am but I want a press that I won't outgrow; I mean if I decide I really DO need that 300WSM, I want a press that will do that...

and this makes me think (anal remark) you're very exact by nature and the variation on a dillon might not be enough.

progressive for pistol/rifle calibres which you do a lot of volume shooting

single/turret for calibres that see less (calibre changes on a progressive quickly add up

ranger335v
August 9, 2009, 11:04 PM
"Can't go wrong with a RCBS Rockchucker."

Right. Or a Lyman Crusher, Hornady LnL, Redding Boss, Lee Classic Cast, or even the really costly Forster CoAx or Redding Ultra Mag. But for a given level of skill, your ammo will never know the difference which of those presses it was made on.

Walkalong
August 10, 2009, 12:08 AM
ranger335v wins. Time to go home. :cool:

1SOW
August 10, 2009, 12:11 AM
Buy a single stage that uses standard size dies. If you outgrow the single stage the dies are good to go on the new press

That single stage will then let you deprime all that dirty range brass you're going to start picking up without using your Dillon or whatever..

I deprime thousands of 9mm. I didn't start on a single stage. I wish I had one now.

krs
August 10, 2009, 09:19 AM
The Redding T-7 is mentioned, and I've been using it's predessessor, the Redding T-6 turret press for any and all of the ammo that it's been my interest to try in 40 years of this durned game. It's my single stage, or my turret press on the side, installed on an unbendable bench and I've no doubt that it could full length size .50 BMG though it'd be some hassle to get a bullet straight for seating and it maybe doesn't have enough throw for full length, I dunno. Maybe I'd have to screw the die down over the bullet but the press is strong enough, no matter what silly idea I get..... I once used it to press a bearing onto an axle.

If you enjoyed reading about "A press that will do all rifle and pistol calibers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!