Frustrated!

PDA

bscott29
January 15, 2015, 03:49 PM
I have a Stag model 3 ar. It has a weaver Kaspa zombie scope mounted with a Millett one-piece mount. The last time I shot it it was off so I adjusted the scope. I took it out today and it was dead balls. I took a break and shot it again at a 5 gallon bucket. I couldn't even hit the bucket with a good rest at about 80yds. Do you guys think it's the scope or the mount that's moving? Everything seems tight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Frustrated!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
G.barnes
January 15, 2015, 04:02 PM
It could be the optic is moving, it also could be you moving your cheek weld. If you look through the scope at a different angle each time the poi will change. Also check to make sure the barrel doesn't feel like its wiggling, could be a loose barrelnut.

WonderDavid!
January 15, 2015, 04:35 PM
Do you have a bore sight? If so, take it and get your scope on target, then shoot it some and put the bore sight back in. If the crosshairs have moved then it's the scope or scope mounts, if not then it's the gun.

Reloadron
January 15, 2015, 04:42 PM
While the scope seems tight and secure the guts of the scope could be moving. WonderWeasel pretty much covered how to find that problem. :)

Ron

bscott29
January 15, 2015, 04:47 PM
The barrel seems tight. I'm betting on the guts moving.

bscott29
January 15, 2015, 04:48 PM
It really sucks, because I really like my set-up. If it's the scope it will be sent for repair and then sold.

Reloadron
January 15, 2015, 06:21 PM
The barrel seems tight. I'm betting on the guts moving.
Yeah, when that happens it absolutely sucks and makes for a frustrating experience. That would be my guess anyway. You shoot a rifle and it's zeroed. Later you shoot the same rifle using the same ammo and wonder where the heck your bullets are going? The scope is tight and secure so that doesn't leave much as a likely cause.

Ron

d2wing
January 15, 2015, 08:19 PM
I have a Weaver Kaspa that I am not sure I should trust myself. The adjustments seemed to jump the first time I used it. It might be ok, mine. I would try another scope if I were you.

batex
January 15, 2015, 08:25 PM
It has a Weaver Kaspa zombie scope...

My bet it's the scope. Even though it's a low end Weaver, it still has a lifetime warranty for the original owner. Send it back to Weaver and explain the problem... My bet is that they just ship you a brand new replacement. Then, sell it and upgrade! Just my .02.

bscott29
January 15, 2015, 09:28 PM
My bet it's the scope. Even though it's a low end Weaver, it still has a lifetime warranty for the original owner. Send it back to Weaver and explain the problem... My bet is that they just ship you a brand new replacement. Then, sell it and upgrade! Just my .02.
This is what I'm thinking.

quartermaster
January 16, 2015, 07:42 AM
I always have an extra scope on hand, just to check when I have a problem like yours to see if, in fact it is the scope. Even an old $30 dollar Tasco serves the purpose.

roadchoad
January 16, 2015, 07:59 AM
Corollary to what quartermaster says, if you dont have another scope but have another rifle, you could take the scope off the stag and put it on another gun and see if it holds zero.

Ibmikey
January 16, 2015, 09:17 AM
Roadchoad, of course he has a second or third rifle to check the scope, I believe in the Colt AR manual it states owning just one is a high misdemeanor. 😁 Leupold makes a wonderful little 1.5x4 just for the AR platform and Nikon has a fixed 3 power that is hard to beat and far cheaper.

bscott29
January 16, 2015, 10:37 AM
I'm thinking about the Nikon p223 3x32 and the Bushnell ar optics 1-4x24 non illuminated scope. Does anyone have insight on these two scopes?

bscott29
January 17, 2015, 12:28 PM
I boxed up the scope to send it to weaver today. They said they would repair or replace it. I'm hoping they will replace it. If so I will sell it . I think I will get a Burris fullfield ii 2-7x35.

Ibmikey
January 17, 2015, 02:33 PM
I have the 3x Nikon on my AAC Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout..shot a 350 # boar at about sixty yards. The scope is clear, relatively light and good well into dusk.

2ndtimer
January 17, 2015, 09:48 PM
I boxed up the scope to send it to weaver today. They said they would repair or replace it. I'm hoping they will replace it. If so I will sell it . I think I will get a Burris fullfield ii 2-7x35.
The Redfield Revolution in 2-7x32 is a nice alternative to the Burris. American made and backed by Leupold.

dvdcrr
January 17, 2015, 10:10 PM
When you shoot each group you are using consistent rifle rest and not laying the barrel directly on anything?

bscott29
January 18, 2015, 02:32 PM
When you shoot each group you are using consistent rifle rest and not laying the barrel directly on anything?
Actually when I was shooting off target I was resting the barrel on truck mirror. I still shouldn't be missing a 5 gallon bucket. I did notice that the scope has a rattle after I took it off of the rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Frustrated!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!