Web Server Questions?

PDA

Nick1911
April 18, 2004, 12:00 AM
Hi, although this might not be the right forum to ask about this (let alone the right section), I'm going to anyway under (hopefully) the right section. My question, to you tech people, is about server installation\maintenance\running. I'm going to college for a degree in Computer Technology starting this fall, and am really curious about some of this stuff...

What's the basic procedure of setting up a web server?

Are servers regular computers with special software, or is the hardware architecture different as well?

What operating system do\can servers use?

What kind of internet connection is required to run a web server?

What kind of maintenance issues are common?

What kind of problem's are often encountered?

What other kind of servers do you have to keep up? (Ftp?)
Do other services run on the same machine?

What kind of things do system's admin's have to do to keep everything runnin' smooth?

Thank you all for your time and patience's, I really appreciate it. mods; if you feel that this post is too far off base, please feel free to close or delete it.

Nick

If you enjoyed reading about "Web Server Questions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tyme
April 18, 2004, 01:12 AM
You're right, not really the right forum, but here goes... This is centered on Apache. IIS is hell.

First, you have to have a "regular" machine to run it on. It'll run on most unix-type OSes and on Windows. Then you have to get apache binaries, or you can compile it yourself. Then you have to set up the configuration file. I think there's probably a GUI for windows to aid apache configuration, but I don't know for sure. You can use any speed internet connection, but slow connections will irritate people visiting your website.

Maintenance/problems generally occur with complicated setups, or when there are underlying OS problems, or when there are security flaws discovered in Apache and you have to upgrade. There aren't any other services I can think of that are required for Apache to run... though in Windows there might be. Various add-ons might require additional services... mysql is common for use with php or perl.
What kind of things do system's admin's have to do to keep everything runnin' smooth?
It's more zen than anything else. Sometimes no matter what you try things just don't work together, and it takes an epiphany to resolve the problem.

Nick1911
April 19, 2004, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the reply, I have one more quick question... How does a company\individual get a domain name? Like instead of typeing
http://66.80.73.51/

we type:

http://www.thehighroad.org/

How does that work? I know that the individual node computer on the internet gets the IP from a DNS, but how is that list managed?

Thanks again, (and thanks mods for letting me keep this somewhat OT thread open)

Nick

Derek Zeanah
April 19, 2004, 02:36 AM
Google is your friend.....

With that said, it goes something like this: Figure out where you're going to host your site. If it's on the machine you're running now, great -- install Apache (it runs on everything, including IIS). Read the documentation found at apache.org and you should be up and running in an hour or so. You can get there faster than that, but it's good to understand what's actually happening in the background. Figure out what domain name you want to use. Go to godaddy.com and do your searches there, and register the name when you find something available that you like. Find someone to host your DNS. Someone like no-ip.org works well (especially if you're working from a dynamic IP address, in which case you should install their software too). Give the DNS info to godaddy via their webtools. Now, you should be up and running. Try and contact your site from outside your network to make sure things are working correctly.

tyme
April 19, 2004, 05:39 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS

Nick1911
April 19, 2004, 05:12 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info guys! It's very much appreciated.

Nick

If you enjoyed reading about "Web Server Questions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!