Family Member.....

PDA

4thHorseman
February 7, 2003, 01:06 AM
Can any member of your family in an emergency, take your fire arm off you if you are unable to use it, and use it to defend themselves?
My family could of not so long ago, when all I carried was a revolver, but now I carry a 1911. I'm not so sure on it now. I'm going to have to take them to the range with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Family Member....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PATH
February 7, 2003, 01:07 AM
They damn well better if their life is in danger and I am incapacitated. The laws be damned!

coonan357
February 7, 2003, 01:17 AM
If I was down from fire and a family member grabbed my fire arm to take out my assailant and saved my life and protected theirs, I think any DA would be dumb to try to prosicute that case on the grounds they would cut there own throats .esecuially if the media caught hold of it .

Drizzt
February 7, 2003, 01:28 AM
Are you referring to ability or legality?

4thHorseman
February 7, 2003, 01:34 AM
I was refering to their ability to be able to remove YOUR firearm and use it in your and their defense. You are unable to do it yourself.
This is making me reconsider about going back to the revolver, no safeties for them to remember to click off in an emergency. Maybe my Sig. Got to give it some more thought.

Frohickey
February 7, 2003, 01:45 AM
Ability, it depends on the innate talent of your family member. This depends on prior training, intuitiveness and ingenuity.

As far as legally, if its not, I would hope that the state goes ahead and charges you with a crime of using a firearm your family member is prohibited to use in the defense of their life and yours. You can then sue the state/government for their ludicrous inane stupid laws and get some common sense (which is not so common in government) back.

You hear about some of these self-defense shootings, like a shop-owner making a late night bank deposit or closing up shop late at night and they get accosted and have to shoot the scumbags. Some of them do not have a permit to carry, but they still carry, but they are not charged. Why? Seems to me that its selective enforcement of the statute, which the prosecutor knows would end up with a jury failing to convict, or if worse, end up in the Supreme Court with overturning of the charge. Then, we might get some judicial precedent to the sanity of these disarmament laws that only hurts the peaceable citizens.

(Okay, I think I better take my medication now. Maybe the pretty red pill. :scrutiny: )

Byron Quick
February 7, 2003, 07:25 AM
How much shooting do they do with the revolver?

I do not consider the manual of arms to be that complicated in a 1911...especially if no magazine change is complicated or clearing malfs.

Kahr carrier
February 7, 2003, 07:39 AM
Yup they sure could.:)

Rickstir
February 7, 2003, 08:48 AM
Wife is coming along nicely, she is comfortable with her Colt .22lr auto but can shoot the 92FS in a pinch.

My brother spends a lot of time with us, he is a good shooter and I have to check his luggage because he really loves the 92. :D

Kentucky Rifle
February 7, 2003, 09:15 AM
My wife can outshoot me with *nearly everything I've got. You ought to see her shoot my .40 caliber Glocks! That "grin" on her face. Wow. It's a strange, scary type of grin. If I was a BG, I'd run from that evil grin.

KR

bedlamite
February 7, 2003, 09:29 AM
My 1076 ain't much different than a revolver in that regard.

cratz2
February 7, 2003, 10:38 AM
Do you mean in the house?

Three guns ready to go at various places. Of course, our oldest is six and cannot access any of them. My wife has very quick access to her primary, a 686. My primary is an 870 followed by a 1911.

10-Ring
February 7, 2003, 10:42 AM
My son has been able to operate the house 12ga. since he was but a wee pup! ;) Plus, he can call 9-1-1 like a champ :D

Diesle
February 7, 2003, 10:46 AM
I think you left a lot of variables unmentioned. But in general, in Minnesota law, it doesnt look to matter. From what Ive gathered (im not a lawyer).

And really, how in the hell would it matter. A 'good shoot' is a good shoot.... I suspect that if the family member pulls the trigger, all of the regular criteria of self defanse shooting would have to be met. No retreat avaialble, immediate impending perminent physical harm,.ect...

Diesle

Sisco
February 7, 2003, 11:49 AM
My son could (15 yrs). He can load & shoot everything I have. Wife and daughter (18) are a different story. They will not go to the range, have no desire to learn.

jim
February 7, 2003, 12:04 PM
they would not be "family" if they couldn't.

Mauserlady
February 7, 2003, 12:11 PM
David - absolutely

Oldest daughter - would have to think about it as it's been a while.

Youngest daughter - absolutey, tries to claim my 9mm as hers.

ball3006
February 7, 2003, 12:12 PM
and I use Glocks for carry and household protection, in addition to shotguns, because they are pick up and squeeze the trigger. Don't have to think about gadgets. Wife shoots them great....chris3

anchored
February 7, 2003, 01:07 PM
In W. Va., you have the rigt to use the same amount of force against an assailant to defend a person as the person you are defending has the right to use. In other words, if you see someone being shot at, you can use deadly force against the shooter only if the person being shot at has a right to that level of self defense. He might not, if he's a crook and the shooter's an undercover cop, or the guy being shot at is a bad guy and the shooter a good guy, but the good guy is outside his house and the bad guy is unarmed and in retreat.

Khornet
February 7, 2003, 01:49 PM
And my 3 oldest can all work the 1911 and G22, and all 5 kids have their own 22 rifles. The older boys take the M1 and the 03A3 and maybe my daughter gets the P90. By that point the floor is littered with 22, .40, .45ACP, M2 Ball brass and 20 Ga hulls and the next door neighbor has shown up with his boys and THEIR weapons, and we call out 'sweepers' to remove the BGs. Works every time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Family Member....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!