1911 Mutt, need some advice

PDA

Voodoochile
March 10, 2015, 07:26 PM
Okay my buddy come by tonight with his new purchase, we call it Franken-Colt.

Colt 1991 slide
Essex frame.
Wilson Combat safeties, trigger & stop.
Unknown barrel.
Unknown sear, disconnect, hammer
MecGar magazines.

Looks pretty good & function seems solid, head spacing is good by the gauges I have so it should be a decent shooter, but my concern is at the back of the slide to frame.
The slide is about 1mm forward of the frame when in battery.

I haven't run the timing test on this yet although by eye it looks about right but I'm wondering if maybe the fitting of the barrel lug feet is trimmed too much & running too forward or maybe a different link would help this or that the Essex frame is slightly different.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Mutt, need some advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Drail
March 10, 2015, 08:27 PM
Different parts from different manufacturers using different blueprints (or none at all) and guys with files. Good luck.

rcmodel
March 10, 2015, 08:36 PM
Essex frames were all over the place as time went by.

At first they all came in near perfect in the 70's with the several I built then.
Then as time went on, they developed the overhang as the molds were repolished, or cleaned, or whatever they did.

The back frame contour actually changed over time, and you can see the difference in the curve if you compare it to a Colt frame.

I have one I built in 2002 with a new GI National match slide & barrel that hangs the same way.
In correspondence with them, they said I needed to recut it to meet the slide and refinish.
(It was a 'feature' they seemed pretty proud if in fact!)

They even offered to do it free and re-Parkerize if I sent the gun to them.
It never did, as the company seemed on slippery footing then, and the slide is still forward of the frame.

They need to be re-contoured with a hi-speed drum sander to blend the frame to the slide and then re-finished.

Other then that, ain't no big thang if the lugs weren't over cut when fitting the barrel.

No, changing links won't make it better if you link up right now.

BTW: Wondering what the serial number is on that frame.
And how close it is to mine??

I bought two at the same time in 2002 from Brownell's, and they were both the same way when completed.

Mine is 749XX, purchased in 2002 from Brownells.
The other one I sold was 751XX.
And they both had the same frame over-hang when completed.

Of the 10 or so I built in the 70's none were like that.

Thanks!

rc

Voodoochile
March 10, 2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks rcmodel; his looks just like that.
I'll check the serial number when we check the timing this weekend, if the timing is right then I'll see what he wants to do either leave it or blend it.

Jim K
March 10, 2015, 09:56 PM
The factories have a secret way of handling that. They throw the thing together with a try barrel and grind/polish the slide and frame together.

Jim

rcmodel
March 10, 2015, 10:03 PM
One other misplaced thought.

A stock GI ejector is dead flush with the back of the Essix frame.
Hanging out in the wind.

So we have to assume either the slide stop pin hole is too far forward?
Or the ejector pin holes are too far back?

(But I'm leaning toward the slide stop pin hole being in the wrong place!)

I lost interest before I got around to figuring out which it is.

Mine shoots rat-hole 10-shot groups from a rest at 50 yards, and is 100% reliable with any ammo.

And that's when I lost interest in changing anything else!

rc

BBBBill
March 10, 2015, 11:49 PM
Well, the slide stop pin hole is the point of reference for everything else. For anyone interested or in need.... Center of the front ejector pin hole is 2.391" +/- .005" from the centerline of the slide stop pin hole. VIS is .431" +/- .005" from the centerline of the slide stop pin hole. Front of the frame rails/recoil spring guide seat (on a Gov't, Commander is shorter by .100") is .361" +/- .005" from the centerline of the slide stop pin hole.
Lots of guns have had the misalignment of slide and frame. I used to see it all the time on GI guns. Even current production guns are seen that way. I've seen new Kimber, Springfield Armory, and even one Colt misaligned. It is very seldom due to incorrect barrel fit.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Mutt, need some advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!