Will be on Tom Gresham's radion show this Sunday

PDA

Oleg Volk
February 7, 2003, 01:42 PM
Srating around 1pm on Sunday, February 9th.
You can visit http://www.guntalk.com on Sunday and click on LISTEN to
hear the show. Call-ins are welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Will be on Tom Gresham's radion show this Sunday" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Betty
February 7, 2003, 01:47 PM
In the background you're going to hear: "Hey OLEG! I told you THREE TIMES to TAKE OUT THE GARBAGE!" :p

Guntalk
February 7, 2003, 02:02 PM
Note that Oleg will be on at the beginning of the show, at 1:00 (actually, about 1:10) CENTRAL time.

He will kick off an All Star lineup.

Second hour will be Denny Reese, president of Springfield Armory.

Third hour is Bob Morrison, president of Taurus.

Correia
February 7, 2003, 02:12 PM
Cool Oleg. You are famous. :)

OF
February 7, 2003, 02:15 PM
:cool:

Kaylee
February 7, 2003, 02:50 PM
ROCK ON Oleg! Way to go!!!

(Thanks Guntalk!)

:D:D:D

-K

BerettaNut92
February 7, 2003, 03:05 PM
Guntalk: "Hi Mr Skunk and welcome to the show. I understand you have a questino for Oleg?"
Skunk: "Oh yeah...I can't seem to get my camera to adjust to my 18% card, and I always get this blue tinge in some of my pictures, but I don't wanna shoot outside in natural light...." :D

Nathaniel Firethorn
February 7, 2003, 03:47 PM
questinoThat's the fundamental atomic particle that questions are made of, isn't it? :D

- pdmoderator

Guntalk
February 7, 2003, 04:08 PM
Hey Skunk:

When you combine a gun club with a camera club, don't you get a circle of confusion?

(very inside joke for photographers)

Drjones
February 7, 2003, 04:18 PM
Sweeeeeet!

Congratulations!!!

Any idea what AM frequency his show is on?

El Tejon
February 7, 2003, 04:29 PM
Zhelayu udachi, tovarish.:)

Braz
February 7, 2003, 08:47 PM
Cool OV,

I've been addicted to GT for awhile now. Sic 'em.

garrettwc
February 7, 2003, 10:09 PM
Congrats Oleg! I'll try to tune in.

Just out of curiousity, what is the subject for your portion of the program. THR? RKBA?

Oleg Volk
February 7, 2003, 10:14 PM
Will talk about THR, about ways to get folks sympathetic with our rights, maybe a bit about the reasoning behind RKBA.

MountainPeak
February 7, 2003, 10:15 PM
I e-mailed him that I thought he was a little bit soft on the S&W boycott a couple of years ago. I would like to follow his program. Is there a station that carries it in the Albuquerque, NM area?

Sven
February 7, 2003, 10:28 PM
oleg: sweet!

rotl: nice one... I'll be listening for that.

Guy B. Meredith
February 8, 2003, 02:51 AM
Please...what is the station in the SF Bay area? I have stumbled on it from time to time traveling to or from the range, but have not had the smarts to take note.

Braz
February 8, 2003, 05:07 AM
http://guntalk.net/forum/index.php

That'll get ya there.

Kahr carrier
February 8, 2003, 05:13 AM
Cool Givem Hell.;)

El Tejon
February 8, 2003, 07:22 AM
Braz, do not see a list of stations on that site. What kind of business does not advertise? Only a gun business, geez.

Guntalk
February 8, 2003, 07:42 AM
>>Braz, do not see a list of stations on that site. What kind of business does not advertise? Only a gun business, geez<<

Ah, actually, not. It's not a gun business. It's a radio business, where competition is fierce, and other shows which are on at the same time would LOVE to get the list of stations running Gun Talk, and then contact those stations to try to get them to drop Gun Talk and run something else.

To find out if there's a station near you, drop a note to skip@guntalk.net and ask him.

I do understand the frustration, but the decision to not publish the list came from hard experience.

El Tejon
February 8, 2003, 07:50 AM
:rolleyes: Prosecution rests, your honor.

Radio Salesman: "Hi, Robert Bales of Bales Chevy and Mitsubishi of Edwardsville, Illinois? Can I call you Bob?"

Robert Bales: "Uh, O.K."

Salesman: "Bob, I've got this great program that I want you to buy spots on."

Robert Bales: "Really? Tell me more. What promotion are you doing for the show where my spots will run?"

Salesman: "Absolutely nothing, Bob. You see if we tell people where and when the show runs, we may get listeners and that would just be horrible. People may listen and we may make money and since this program is gun-related, a well-known industry rule, it can't be allowed to make any money."

Robert Bales: "Pour money into something that will only be a little hobby for some people and not make money for me--sign me up! I'll take 250 spots."

garrettwc
February 8, 2003, 11:29 AM
El Tejon, I think you might be missing at least part of the point.

The show is likely promoted as much as any other Sunday afternoon program by the local affiliate. And the airtime is sold accordingly.

Salesman: Mr. Bales Chevy, we have this program running that has a strong listener market among Chevy truck buyers. You would have them at your disposal for several hours every Sunday afternoon to promote your fine vehicles.

Mr Chevy Dealer: Great sign me up.

What Mr. Gresham is pointing out is that if he published the list freely on a worldwide medium, it would make it very easy for the Brady Bunch to come in and pressure the local affiliate or the advertisers to boycott those evil gun shows.

Yes, it makes it harder to sell the show, but it's also a good defensive tactic.

El Tejon
February 8, 2003, 11:46 AM
He's worried about the Brady Bunch? All 15 of them? How many cars will the Brady Bunch, clustered in NYC, DC, Chicago and San Fransissyco, not buy from Bales Chevy in Edwardsville?

Well, his show, but worrying about being "knocked off the air" by a handful of totalitarians is like the gun rags persistent hand-wringing over bears, unicorns, or French goats--all imaginary concerns which become real if you let them.

45R
February 8, 2003, 11:58 AM
Swweeeet one of our own gets to REEEEPrrrrreessseeeennnnnnt! :)

Braz
February 8, 2003, 12:57 PM
ET,

There's more than a handfull of people that would use that info to try and shut him down. Try and find a local station that will run regular ads for a gunshop. It's tuff.

Take advantage of the archives. Some good stuff on these shows. Tom reads The High Road! Gotta like it.

Chuck Dye
February 8, 2003, 02:11 PM
For those who can't get the radio broadcast, try

http://www.kwro.com

for the streaming audio and watch for the archived show at

http://www.guntalk.net

Guntalk
February 8, 2003, 02:27 PM
It's always fun to watch a certain subset of gun owners who love to beat up other gun owners, gun groups, or anyone associated with the firearms community. It gives one a warm feeling to jump on your friends. So much more satisfying than actually doing something that will help gun rights, you know. Makes you look macho, showing that you aren't afraid to take on your friends. (See S&W bashing for a prime example.)

This radio gig is really simple, and my not putting the list on the web site has nothing to do with anti-gunners.

AS I SAID . . . it prevents other radio shows (of which there are thousands) from using my list as a target list for contacting stations and trying to get the stations to run THEIR show instead of Gun Talk. It's competition, not anti-gun. The battle is to get on more stations. I pay one guy a LOT of money to do this. I don't want to give any stations away. Just business.

As for sales, ah, that's not how it works.

The folks who sponsor Gun Talk nationally know where the show runs, and they know the show gets them great response. Businesses which buy spots on local radio stations know which station they are buying. <grin>

Listeners who needs to know if the show is available locally can drop a note to skip@guntalk.net, just as it says on the web site.

Or, you can hear it anywhere on the Sirius satellite system (www.sirius.com). Or you can listen on the internet live. Or you can listen to the archived shows on the web site at any time.

I just don't know how to explain this goofy business any better than that.

Looking forward to having Oleg on. Hope Y'all can join us.

seeker_two
February 8, 2003, 02:31 PM
Rush Limbaugh & Dr. Laura had to go through the same thing (remember all the hullabaloo about bringing back the "Fairness Doctrine"?) and they overcame it. The trick is having a good show w/ good content that people will want to listen to. Having heard Tom's show before, I know he's got that in spades. And I think that his fans could definitely outshout the Brady Bunch...:evil:

As for regular gun shop ads, just ask Champion Firearms in College Station (WTAW) and DFW Gun Range (KYNG). They are regular sponsors, and the stations haven't had any problems w/ boycotts.

Let's spread the word...:D

Don Gwinn
February 8, 2003, 02:39 PM
Don't mind Tejon. He don't mean nothin' by it. Just the way he is. ;)

garrettwc
February 8, 2003, 09:09 PM
I meant no offense to El Tejon, and hope he didn't take any. Just wanted to give him an alternative idea to ponder.

I used a Brady type as one example. Of course it could be competition from a different type of program, be it guns, computers, relationships, whatever. I didn't realize the business was so cutthroat that a salesman would actually target specific shows, rather than sell the virtues of their own show to a prospective buyer. Thanks to Mr. Gresham for elaborating on my simplified guess at one of the issues.

I definitely didn't realize the national spots were sold that way. I thought the national sales were dictated by whatever network the local station was affiliated with.

Again, thanks for the brief education, and keep up the good work with the show.

El Tejon
February 8, 2003, 09:23 PM
gar, of course not. It's just the Errornet.

Well, despite having the perfect face for radio, I do not understand why one would not want to promote his own show. Some people cannot download via the Errornet because we are at work, in the car, or at the health club.

On Sundays I leave the office early at noon and go work out. Be nice to listen to Mr. Wolf when I'm straining my eyes, er, running on the treadmill. Far be it for the customer to make any suggestions as to how he would be better served. That's wrong, I know.

Bud Wiser
February 9, 2003, 12:49 AM
Hooray for you Mr. Volk! I usually tune in to Guntalk every Sunday afternoon and I'm glad you'll be on!

What topics will you be discussing with Mr. Gresham?

http://www.piranhaclub.com/y75.gif

JMLV
February 9, 2003, 09:25 AM
NEVER COULS GET THOSE TIME ZONES STRAIGHT.

Guntalk
February 9, 2003, 09:30 AM
Oleg and I will be talking about his unique perspective on firearms ownership in the U.S., gun rights, his impressive work with posters and graphics for gun rights, The High Road, and what gun owners can and should do to support their rights.

Should be fun.

1:10pm Central Time, today, Sunday.

thumbtack
February 9, 2003, 10:07 AM
Guntalk

I recently started listening to your while at work, and I really enjoy your show. Keep up the good work.

I will be looking forwrd to listening today, so I can put a voice to Oleg's pictures and writings.

JMLV
February 9, 2003, 10:16 AM
WHAT TIME IS 1:10 CENTRAL TIME ON THE EAST COAST? 1:1O? 2:10? 3:10?
I CAN'T LISTEN IF I DON'T KNOW WHAT TIME ITS ON. HERE.

Guntalk
February 9, 2003, 10:29 AM
Oleg will be on Gun Talk live.

2:10 EASTERN
1:10 CENTRAL
12:10 MOUNTAIN
11:10 PACIFIC
10:10 ALASKA

That's also 19:10 UTC, formerly called "Zulu" or Greenwich Mean Time.

The following two hours will have Springfield Armory and Taurus.

To call in, the toll-free number is 1-866-TALK-GUN

Guntalk
February 9, 2003, 10:42 AM
You also can listen live, on the net, at:

www.kwro.com

www.kbnp.com

There is a live chat room during the show. Enter it at www.guntalk.com

Enjoy.

AnklePocket
February 9, 2003, 11:12 AM
Nice. Looking forward to it.

Guntalk
February 9, 2003, 11:46 AM
By the way, thanks, Oleg, for being on the show today, for all that you do, and for allowing me to shamelessly plug the radio show on THR.

Thanks, also, for the good members here for indulging me.

Ron L
February 9, 2003, 02:04 PM
I'll be tuning in on-line. In fact, it's already running. I didn't get broadband cable for nothing, you know. ;)

Looking forward to another great show.

Sven
February 9, 2003, 02:08 PM
Listening now...

Guntalk
February 9, 2003, 02:13 PM
The chat room is up, also. www.guntalk.com and click on chat.

I'm about to introduce Oleg now. Gotta go!

Schuey2002
February 9, 2003, 02:49 PM
For all you THR members on the Southern Oregon Coast, Guntalk can be listened to at 630 ( AM ) on your radio..

It's on the air right now. :)

Guntalk
February 9, 2003, 03:01 PM
Great job, Oleg. Many thanks.

Hope you found it to be fairly painless.

Oleg Volk
February 9, 2003, 03:11 PM
Good show. Hope that folks will come to THR and continue the discussion. I also hope it will get you more regular listeners. I ought to get a better phone...I think some of the low volume was due to that.

Schuey2002
February 9, 2003, 03:14 PM
Way to go, Oleg !

[ as you hear the sound of the crowd breaking into applause..]:D

M60
February 9, 2003, 03:18 PM
good job!! I heard the whole thing. You did good!

garrettwc
February 9, 2003, 05:45 PM
I missed it!!:banghead:

Darn teenagers, always expecting to be fed:D

From the posts it sounds like Oleg did well. Hope to catch this one on the guntalk archives sometime soon.

HankL
February 9, 2003, 07:23 PM
Oleg and Tom, Thank you both.

JeremyIA
February 9, 2003, 07:35 PM
Mr. Gresham....Excellent show today. I always like it when you have representatives from the firearms industry on your show. It's always fun to get it straight from the horse's mouth when trying to verify or quell rumors about up-and-coming products. I can't wait to see the Taurus 24/7.

Maybe you should do a broadcast from the Iowa Deer Classic in March :D

idsman75@peoplepc.com

P.S. I hear there are some darn fine wild pigs to be hunted down in your neck of the woods. Fort Polk may have to be the next stop in my military career.

MountainPeak
February 9, 2003, 07:44 PM
Good show! Thanks to posts here I was able to listen. Guntalk, did you notice any change in S&W after a lot of people boycotted? I did. Recent S&W customer. Dave

JeremyIA
February 9, 2003, 08:28 PM
I'm glad that S&W and HUD saw the light. I'd hate to have to hide in a closet every time I wanted to hold my 686 or my 457. :D

twoblink
February 10, 2003, 02:51 AM
Arrg..

I didn't get to hear it, someone have an audio archive of it?

Guntalk
February 10, 2003, 11:17 AM
Archive: It will be on the site in a couple of weeks. We are having a bit of trouble with that. The gentleman who was doing it is having health problems, so I'm getting my daughter (smile) to do it. We shall see how it works.

On the S&W issue. you bet there was a change after the boycott. The British company sold S&W. They fired the jack-- who made the deal with Clinton. It's now an American company.

MitchSchaft
February 10, 2003, 11:39 AM
On the S&W issue. you bet there was a change after the boycott. The British company sold S&W. They fired the jack-- who made the deal with Clinton. It's now an American company.

So the deal is null and void, and is no longer in place?:scrutiny:

geekWithA.45
February 10, 2003, 11:48 AM
From what I heard, the S&W deal per-se is off, but you'll still see artifacts of it in their products, such as mag disconnectors, and so forth. I'm also wondering how many pre ban mags fit their newer models?

It also came up in NJ legislation, where a deal "similiar to" the S&W agreement was going to be needed for gun suppliers to the State of NJ.

MitchSchaft
February 10, 2003, 12:23 PM
My point was is the deal is still in place. It's only a matter of time before another Presidency comes along to act on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Will be on Tom Gresham's radion show this Sunday" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!