Best prices on MRE's

PDA

mrstang01
February 7, 2003, 01:48 PM
Since we're in Orange... Who has the best prices and availability on MRE's. Figure I better add a few more cases to the stash.

Michael

If you enjoyed reading about "Best prices on MRE's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nathaniel Firethorn
February 7, 2003, 01:50 PM
:p I can still taste the waxy brownies, and it's been ten years since I ate one.

Store what you eat, and eat what you store. (If you eat MREs as a steady diet, I guess you'd do OK stocking MREs.)

- pdmoderator

45R
February 7, 2003, 01:59 PM
Old Sacramento Armoury (sacramento, ca )has them for around 70 dollars for 12 packets.

bogie
February 7, 2003, 02:02 PM
Just a suggestion here...

It is generally recognized that MREs really suck. And they're expensive.

Buy food that you'll eat and enjoy, but that'll keep. And use the $$ that you save to buy guns & ammo.

vulcan
February 7, 2003, 02:07 PM
Your dollar goes farther with regular food, The food is rotated into your diet & nothing goes to waste. There's a reason why the latrine lines are long after a week long Army field excercise:D

ahenry
February 7, 2003, 02:18 PM
Beyond the drawbacks already mentioned (like TASTE), why would you want them? If you’re super concerned about missing a couple of meals from a terrorist attack, go buy some can goods. If you want to have entire meals that will keep indefinitely go buy some backpacking food. IMHO they’re much better, on your tongue and later on your system.

jsalcedo
February 7, 2003, 02:34 PM
An MRE factory went belly up somewhere near here and the gunshows have been selling a choice of 4 meals for $2.75 each.

I gave some to my kid for when he plays army.

When I picked up his leftovers I put the
spiced apples in my oatmeal they were pretty good.

The entrees are genuinely hideous, the peanut butter and crackers are dry but edible and the chocolate oatmeal cookie is like a dense grainy hockey puck. The Ice tea mix was ok
but I was dissapointed not to find TP, gum and that indestructible
spoon they used to have.

I just stick to canned goods. I can buy 10x the amount and quality of food for what MRE's give.

BerettaNut92
February 7, 2003, 03:08 PM
Anyone give those Heater Meals a try?

cwalker3
February 7, 2003, 03:58 PM
For a sugar fix, the lemon pound cake can't be beat. Other than that, I'd just as soon have a can of tuna and some saltines.

MPFreeman
February 7, 2003, 04:10 PM
http://www.longlifefood.com/

madkiwi
February 7, 2003, 10:53 PM
After Y2K Cheaper Than Dirt had a sale on MREs, we bought 2 cases for $49 each.

Still have them all, make me an offer... :D

madkiwi

andy
February 8, 2003, 12:08 AM
I second Long Life Food Depot. You can buy entrees there instead of the whole MRE pouch plus you can pick and choose just what you want. Most people don't need all the junk that comes included in the pouch and most of the food is pretty bad. I guess I must be an oddball but I think the meatloaf tastes good. Stay away from the grilled chicken breast, I was tasting it for a week afterwards. The others are right about sticking with store bought food. It is usually cheaper and tastes better.

Zorro
February 8, 2003, 12:20 AM
HEY!

I LIKE! that dried Pear Block THING!

And the small Tobassco Sauce Bottle.

Other than that I prefer beef jerky.

DadOfThree
February 8, 2003, 12:30 AM
We used to take the dried peaches, coffee creamer and sugar mixed with water in a canteen and crumble up crakers on top and cook it over a heat tab. ta daa ..... peach cobbler mmm. It tasted pretty good after a couple of weeks at Jungle School. :D :D

Lennyjoe
February 8, 2003, 01:54 AM
You guys with the dried peaches deal are eating the old ones.

The new style with the heaters are pretty damn good.

Got alot of new variety of meals and they aint half bad.

Get the MRE's for free here. Up to 3 cases now and plan on having alot more when I get back stateside.

Kahr carrier
February 8, 2003, 05:27 AM
Couldnt hurt to have some MREs around especially in the PRK-Earthquake country.:neener:

Kevlarman
February 8, 2003, 06:53 AM
I love the dehydrated fruits! They just melt in your mouth!
Although there was this one time where I inhaled the dried fruit particles and almost choked...

Joe Demko
February 8, 2003, 07:32 AM
When I wore green, we ate c-rations. I've tried the MRE's a few times over the years, and the c-rats had them beat on everything except portability. Unless carrying the food around with yo is a big issue, I'd go with the civilian version of c-rations: canned food. Dinty Moore stew, Chef Boyardi ravioli, tuna, corned beef, chow mein, chunky soup, spam, fruit cocktail, spicy spam, green beans, spam lite, treet, turkey spam, spam with cheese...

Mojo
February 8, 2003, 08:14 AM
I've had good luck with Epicenter in Eugene, Oregon. MRE entrees for $1.66. They usually have a good selection, although that varies.

http://theepicenter.com/mre_military_meal_ready_to_eat.html

Matt G
February 8, 2003, 10:32 AM
...this thread is Off Topic.

There's too much stuff to talk about that is about RKBA and responsible firearms ownership and use, to let our fora be filled with topics about things that aren't about those dedicated topics.

Go forth, friends, and Talk Guns! :D:)

*closed*

If you enjoyed reading about "Best prices on MRE's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!