Are Taurus BLEMs just cosmetic defects?

PDA

C0untZer0
May 26, 2015, 07:16 PM
Well first of all, I've noticed a lot of Taurus BLEMs popping up on GunWatcher / SlickGuns, in fact when I do a search on B L E M - the two manufacturers who appear most are Taurus and Kahr. I don't see Sig-Sauer BLEMs or HK BLEMs or S&W BLEMs but I see a lot of Taurus and Kahr BLEMS.

Is a Taurus BLEM only cosmetic - as in a blemish:

blem·ish

a small mark or flaw that spoils the appearance of something.

The reason I'm asking is that the verbiage at Wholesale Hunter states:

This item cannot be sold as new due to being used, factory refurbished, blemished, etc. All sales are final.

And that's a whole lot more than just a blemish on the finish or a mark or nick that doesn't affect the functionality. Not sure why a refurb wouldn't be called a refurb, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows about Taurus BLEMs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Taurus BLEMs just cosmetic defects?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sauer1911
May 26, 2015, 07:22 PM
It would have to be something or anything that does not effect the shooting safety of the gun.

No company, let alone any Insurance underwriter would back such a product.

be safe

JSH1
May 26, 2015, 07:30 PM
About a year ago Taurus was selling "blemished" 44 mag revolvers with counterbored barrels. Taurus imports a revolver with a 4 inch barrel and then cuts them down to 2 inches in the USA to get around imports restrictions. Someone messed up cut and crown operation so they had to be counterbored for a new crown.

C0untZer0
May 26, 2015, 08:14 PM
If a gun only has a blemish, then why would need to be factory reconditioned?

That doesn't make sense to me.

It sounds like more than just a blemish.

xxjumbojimboxx
May 26, 2015, 08:52 PM
Just so you know, to ID them, the serials are marked with an X at the end. And yes, for the most part they're scratched, and usually very lightly.

C0untZer0
May 26, 2015, 09:12 PM
I really love 9mm revolvers and I'm always tempted by the Taurus 905 because they generally get good reviews, and Kentucky Gun Company had a 905 BLEM on sale for $319.00 with free shipping, but in the time that I've deliberated about buying one, they were all snatched up. :eek:

Tirod
May 27, 2015, 07:51 AM
Customer sends in gun for problem. CS fixes it. Customer returns it because it's unsat in his mind - not functionally defective, he's just lost that feelin and is now one of those who will "never buy again!"

Gun is scratched up, has numerous rounds thru it, and needs a little TLC before selling it. CS has a tech work out the marks as best he can. Voila, refurbished. Off to be sold in the next batch of blems.

Note carefully that Walmart isn't getting them. :rolleyes: And that they aren't calling them seconds - a class of goods used to characterize military grade goods with some minor cosmetic defect, like, one misplaced stitch where you and I don't even know is wrong.

But it's half price. The maker is attempting to recover their material cost and labor, the market is happy to respond by getting a dirt cheap bargain.

If it wasn't for the X mark could you tell it was a blem in ten years? The correct answer is no - it would get banged up far worse in normal use. AKA your German Shepherd ate the grip off it.

Blems and seconds are good buys that the knowledgeable seek out - they are getting the makers premium goods at near cost simply because of American consumers oversensitive demands for cosmetic perfection. Those of us taking advantage of it don't mind others paying the bill.

Note one poster waited too long and the 9mm pistols sold out. Blems and seconds always sell out before the normal items do. Score!

joem1945
May 27, 2015, 09:35 AM
I will not ever buy a taurus POS again for any reason. If it was free it might could be used as a paper weight or a surf weight for casting.

BSA1
May 27, 2015, 10:38 AM
I see it only took to Post #8 for the usual off-topic Taurus rant. I have seen a blemish from Taurus but I certainly would be a potential customer. How are they released for sale?

MedWheeler
May 27, 2015, 11:02 AM
I will not ever buy a taurus POS again for any reason. If it was free it might could be used as a paper weight or a surf weight for casting.

Uh, thanks for contributing. :rolleyes:

JSH1
May 27, 2015, 11:05 AM
I see it only took to Post #8 for the usual off-topic Taurus rant. I have seen a blemish from Taurus but I certainly would be a potential customer. How are they released for sale?
The 44 Mags I described were being sold by a major sportings good chain. (I think it was Academy)

xxjumbojimboxx
May 27, 2015, 11:14 AM
I have literally never had a problem with any Taurus firearm. Nor rossi for that matter..

rule303
May 27, 2015, 01:04 PM
I have sold a bunch of Taurus "blems". Some are completely new, just in a different finish, or different sights than cataloged, others appear to be repaired warranty guns, and some are new with finish defects. They all have a sticker on the box stating that they are covered by the Taurus lifetime warranty except for the finish, and have an X at the end of the s/n.

Sunray
May 27, 2015, 01:21 PM
"...noticed a lot of Taurus BLEMs..." Indicates poor QC. However, cosmetic issues can usually be polished out.
"...had to be counter bored for a new crown..." No counter boring for a crowning job. Counter boring indicates a bad barrel.
If someone messed up the cut and crown operation it also indicates poor QC.

TimSr
May 27, 2015, 01:26 PM
Indicates poor QC.

I disagree. Poor quality control is blems being sold as new finished product.

To be able to weed out blems, and sell them as such is an indication of good quality control.

JSH1
May 27, 2015, 02:47 PM
"...had to be counter bored for a new crown..." No counter boring for a crowning job. Counter boring indicates a bad barrel.

If the crowning operation is messed up you have 3 options:

You can either cut the barrel even shorter and crown it
You can counterbore the barrel and crown it.
You can scrap the gun

Taurus decided on the 2nd option considering the barrels were already cut down to 2 inches. (Also easier because if you cut down the barrel even more the front sight would need to be moved)

If someone messed up the cut and crown operation it also indicates poor QC.

It indicates the reality of a manufacturing environment. People make mistakes. I for one would rather they counterbore, crown, and sell them at a significant discount (I think they were about $300 - $325) than scrap them.

VBVAGUY
May 27, 2015, 03:28 PM
I recently purchased a blemished Taurus 85 CIA revolver and have shot a few hundred rounds out of it and have had no problems what so ever. Yeah it may not look as pretty as brand new, because of a small cosmetic spot, but I saved some money for something that will be a range, tacklebox, etc. gun. God Bless :)

george burns
May 27, 2015, 06:42 PM
http://enews.kygunco.com/q/pbljg953cpiCLmQ57wEJe6UIGrIgZu-Jrs2rBgkgmNTb1WoQ43bIE8wim

KY Gun Co, blemished, Taurus link from today

USAF_Vet
May 27, 2015, 10:56 PM
If you are willing to buy used, or a Blem AR lower, why wouldn't you be willing to buy a Blem complete firearm?

I'm batting .500 on Taurus. And even the one I flipped functioned, it was just terribly inaccurate. I'd buy a Taurus Blem if I had the money and was looking for a specific model. The 1911 and the 92 at Ky Gun Co look like great deals.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Taurus BLEMs just cosmetic defects?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!