8600 High School Kids with Guns - What could possibly go wrong?

PDA

climbnjump
June 20, 2015, 07:34 PM
Apparently not much went wrong, but quite a lot went right!

High schools: Minnesota trap shooting group now a model. (http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_28348824/high-schools-minnesota-target-shooting-group-now-model)

This spring, some 8,600 students from roughly 450 schools competed, putting the popular spring season (there is also a fall season) on par with traditional high school sports.

And:

If the past weekend was any indication, dedication of parents, coaches and athletes shouldn't be underestimated. The statewide qualifiers for Saturday's event were held June 11-16 in Alexandria and drew more than 5,000 student-athletes and about 20,000 spectators, mostly relatives and siblings.

Some pics from the finals held June 20:
http://photos.twincities.com/2015/06/20/the-2015-minnesota-high-school-state-clay-target-tournament/#1

If you enjoyed reading about "8600 High School Kids with Guns - What could possibly go wrong?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HB
June 20, 2015, 07:42 PM
This is great. Missouri is starting to head in the same direction in some areas, we just need a more unified organization to guide it.

This will never make the nationwide news but this is the epitome of what we should be trying to accomplish. My mother was terrified of guns until she attended a Youth Hunter Education Challenge match headed by the Department of Conservation. Seeing hundreds of kids safely and effectively using firearms changed her outlook completely.

HB

mokin
June 20, 2015, 10:13 PM
Awesome! My first thought was that must have been a ton of birds. How much fun could that have been? I got into trap shooting a couple years ago when I couldn't find .22 ammo and quickly became addicted. One day I hope to buy a nice over/under to do it proper.

vaupet
June 21, 2015, 09:57 AM
INI the 2015 European Games in Baku, (olympics, just for europeans, wich includes former sovjet union republics, israel, turkey...) Women Skeet gold medl was won by 17y old Amber Hill from the UK, who took up shooting at the age of 10, while Sara Hornung, an 18 yo from switserland took silver in 10 m air rifle, trailing just 0.1 point.

so, when youngster are introduced early, but well educated the 4 rules, what could go wrong?

If you enjoyed reading about "8600 High School Kids with Guns - What could possibly go wrong?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!