FFL help

PDA

AKShooter
April 22, 2004, 10:27 PM
I am wondering if I should apply for a ffl. I enjoy building guns and would like to be able to buy some restricted parts (frames, actions). I am not really looking at selling guns. What would you guys suggest. Or is there places that sell parts to non dealers.

If you enjoyed reading about "FFL help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
April 22, 2004, 11:10 PM
Most of the restrictions are not put on by the parts people but by the factories, and many of those parts aren't sold to dealers or gunsmiths either. Some pistol frames can be bought by anyone, under the same rules as if buying a complete gun.

There is now no distinction between a gunsmith and a dealer as far as the FFL goes. As to getting an FFL to buy parts, it is not worth it. First, BATFE considers an FFL (except a C&R license) to be a business license, so unless you are willing to actually engage in business, have a business premises, comply with zoning laws, etc., they won't issue the license. They discourage home shops, even for gunsmiths, and even when zoning is no problem. They won't issue a license just for hobbyists (again except for the C&R license, which is good only for C&R items and complete guns).

If you think you are good enough and want to get into business, find a small place in a business zoned area, set up shop, get the license and have at it. Believe me, getting the FFL is the easy part. Getting all the other licenses, paying business taxes, keeping books, dealing with customers, providing security for customer guns, and all the other stuff that goes into running a business is the hard part. You may not want to sell guns, but a lot of gunsmiths end up doing so just to make ends meet.

Jim

Dave Sample
April 23, 2004, 07:19 PM
Good advice from Jim. You also forfeit your Bill of Rights for the most part and open yourself up to a bunch of Federal Rules and Regulations that must be obeyed. I would advise you against it. One of my pals is giving his up after 33 years because of what they are up to these days. They are still up to the stuff they did under the Clinton attempt to eliminate all of us. We were 260,000 and then we were 60,000. I am keeping mine until they kill me or I die some other way. I am not worried about them because I dot every i and cross every T. They have all the power much like the SS during WWII and they are not afraid to kill people. (Waco). Unless you intend to open a business with the intention of making bucks, pass. The Gun Business is the worst thing anyone could get involved in.

If you enjoyed reading about "FFL help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!