I've lost my hero, my friend, my father...

July 28, 2015, 07:31 PM
1st Lt. in the Army, served in Germany in the early 60's, then a 24 year career in federal law enforcement. He was the greatest man I've ever known. He was a man of unblemished honor and integrity. He was a man of his word. He taught me to work hard, even harder when no one was looking, and to help others along the way. He was among world leaders quite often in his work, but he respected them no more than more ordinary folks he came across. He taught me to look a man in the face when speaking, and I'm raising my two to do the same. He got me into firearms. I put down $100 on my first handgun: a Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 in stainless. I went back a few weeks later to make a payment and the clerk smiled and said, "Son, your balance is $10. Someone made a visit," then he winked. I told him I'd researched extensively about reloading, and he was happy to hear it. He never had, but I'd set it up and let him pull the handle. I'll never forget his smile as another round dropped into the bin. He was the kindest, most gentle, loyal, supportive man I'll ever know. He taught me about Christ early on, and I came to accept Him as my Savior, to his delight. I miss him so much, but I'll see him again. One sweet day.

If you enjoyed reading about "I've lost my hero, my friend, my father..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jolly Rogers
July 28, 2015, 07:53 PM
I feel you...I miss my dad too!! Glad he was such a part of your life.

July 28, 2015, 08:04 PM
Sorry for your loss. My dad passed 4 yrs ago. He taught me a a lot of the same life lessons your father gave to you. He sounds like he was a good man.

July 28, 2015, 08:16 PM
Hang tough and let time do it's thing.

July 28, 2015, 08:24 PM
You were fortunate to have such a father!

July 28, 2015, 08:29 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, but know that as long as you live, he will always be with you.

July 28, 2015, 08:35 PM
Lost my dad just before 9/11. It's tough and there will be conversations you never have again, but you can get through. Knowing Christ, knowing what the future holds, makes it easier.

July 28, 2015, 08:36 PM
There is no one like one's father. Sorry to hear of your loss.

My dad has been gone 15 years. Hunting camp is not the same or our favorite fishing streams.

July 28, 2015, 08:42 PM
Be ever grateful that you had a father that you could enjoy. Not everyone has a dad, or mom, that they can stand to be in the same room with or have a conversation with. My mother and father are still alive and I wish we could talk more than we are able to presently. You've obviously been blessed. Value that.

July 28, 2015, 09:18 PM
I am very sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great man.

I lost my father long ago, before graduating high school. Now Mom is gone, too. I have inherited both guns from them, and they are not going anywhere.

July 28, 2015, 10:00 PM
You have great memories to cherish. May your children see this through you as you teach them from integrity to the handling of firearms.

May the Lord comfort you in your loss, and remind you from time to time of the blessed hope you have.

July 28, 2015, 10:01 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss.

July 28, 2015, 10:03 PM
I offer my condolences for your loss, and my congratulations on the wonderful life you have built. It is good to know that you children have a father as good to them as yours was to you.

In time and in Christ I hope you find your peace with this aspect of the cycle of life..

Arkansas Paul
July 28, 2015, 10:06 PM
Sorry for your loss friend.

My pops is still living but he's closing in on 70 and his health is going downhill. I know I'll be going down that road a lot sooner than I want to.

Like yours, he's a great man and role model. We're lucky in that regard anyway.

At least with a father like you described there are no doubt countless good times to think of and smile.

July 28, 2015, 10:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, my thoughts are with you and your family.

July 28, 2015, 10:24 PM
Blessings on having such a great father. I can only hope my kids feel something close to this when I pass...

Black Knight
July 28, 2015, 10:37 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. You have my family's deepest sympathies. We will pray for you and your family. Like you my father served in the Army (WWII) and got me interested in guns. My first "gun" was a Daisy BB rifle. My first actual firearm was a Mossberg 180 .410 bolt action shotgun. For most of us our fathers were our first instructors in the firearms world. Many taught us to respect them and be careful around them. Cherish the good times you and he had together.

July 28, 2015, 10:54 PM
Sorry for your loss. A very touching salute to your Dad.

July 28, 2015, 11:14 PM
I am very sorry for your loss and will add you to my prayer list.

July 28, 2015, 11:18 PM
The way you speak about your father is a testament to the type of man he was. You're truly blessed to have had him in your life. You and your family are in our prayers, and I'm sorry for your loss.

July 28, 2015, 11:23 PM
Sorry for your loss. I didn't know mine growing up, as my parents divorced when I was still little. Reconnected with him in my 30s, about ten years before he died, which was at Christmastime in 2010. Turned out, we had both done stints in law enforcement at around the same time. His two remaining guns, a Police Service Six and a Charter Arms Undercover (circa 1975 and 1966, respectively) are with me now.

Go to the range and send some lead in your father's honor. Sounds like he was one of a rare and diminishing, endangered species known as "the good ones"..

July 28, 2015, 11:27 PM
I had to jump off your post as my room mysteriously go dusty and my eyes began to get wet...sorry for your loss.

July 28, 2015, 11:34 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. He must've been a great man, to've raised a boy that would spell it out so well.

I lost my dad in september 2012. He was in Germany in the early 60s, too!
Our relationship was often tense and complicated. Through each other we learned the arts of regret and forgiveness. I still miss him.

And you'll be okay, too

July 29, 2015, 12:32 AM
He taught me about Christ early on, and I came to accept Him as my Savior, to his delight. I miss him so much, but I'll see him again. One sweet day.
Praise God your Dad is home. I feel for your loss my Dad passed almost 2yrs ago, It's not easy but my Dad believed that Jesus is lord. This gives me great comfort.
If we were wrong, no loss. But if we were right.....HALLELUJAH !!! We will meet again.

Center fire
July 29, 2015, 02:37 AM
I feel your loss. My dad passed this past May. I miss him every day.

1911 guy
July 29, 2015, 02:51 AM
Dang. It's tough losing loved ones, especially a father like that. Praying for you and your family.

July 29, 2015, 06:24 AM
My sincerest condolences on the loss of your father. When you described your father's honesty, kindness, and helpfulness I couldn't help but think he sounded so very much like my Dad. I always feel very blessed for having the parents that I did.

July 29, 2015, 09:52 AM
My condolences and take solace knowing they live on in our hearts forever. I miss my dad but treasure, as you will, everything in life he left you. I know it sucks having been there already. Time does heal things.

July 29, 2015, 02:47 PM
He taught me about Christ early on, and I came to accept Him as my Savior, to his delight. I miss him so much, but I'll see him again. One sweet day.

Mission accomplished.... and now he can rest in peace.

Prayers for the "peace that transcends all understanding" for you and your family.

July 30, 2015, 05:14 PM
You are a very fortunate man to have had someone like that in your life to show you the way. I too had an amazing father. Our thoughts are certainly with you.

July 30, 2015, 05:20 PM
May he rest in peace. And like you said, you'll see him again.

July 30, 2015, 05:25 PM
Sounds to me like you were indeed fortunate to have a guy like that as your dad. I know how you feel. As my mom often says during tough times, and that is always annoying as hell at the time, but always proves true......."This too,shall pass". :)

another pake
July 30, 2015, 10:58 PM
UKWildcatfan, please accept my sincerest condolences on the loss of your father. It is evident from your testimony of dad's influence in your life that he will never be very far away. He has left himself with you...

I understand your expressions of grief. I lost my own father, a man it sounds much like your own father. My dad clearly reflected the image of God back towards me in such a way that it gave me a very clear image of what kind of man I would try to be myself. His passing was 35 years ago. I am older now than he was at his death and I miss him as much now as I ever did, but it's different now. I can smile and remember just how blessed I have been to have had him in my life.

Oddly, my dad didn't introduce me to firearms. He was a WWII vet and, having taken part in three amphibious invasions in the Pacific, had just seen too much. I got drafted in 67. He drove me to the induction station early one morning. He wept uncontrollably as I boarded the train. It was the only time I'd ever seen him cry. For the next two years I came to cherish the hand written letters that he faithfully sent.

He is with me yet today....

As yours will be.

All The Best.

July 31, 2015, 12:14 AM
May we all be fortunate that such men have lived.

No obituary could have honored your father more than the words you expressed.

Time will do it's thing, as it always does. In the meantime, I hope you can smile at the memories, through tears and everything.

Not too many things I cherish more than my relationship with my father. I hear you.

July 31, 2015, 12:31 AM
I am sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds like a good man. My dad is 77 and in slowly declining health. I will miss the day he is no longer here.

July 31, 2015, 02:18 AM
I'm terribly sorry for your loss. At the same time I'm profoundly happy that you had such a figure in your life to guide you. It sounds like he did a great job raising you...and your kids will have the same memories of you that you have of him. God bless.

July 31, 2015, 11:32 AM
Im very sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences Sir.

It sounds like you absolutely lost a great father, friend, and role model that all children would be lucky to have.

July 31, 2015, 11:51 AM
Your pain will go away and be replaced with memories that you can pass on to others. Sorry you are going through this.

July 31, 2015, 11:35 PM
Sorry for your loss. We all know that we have to "go" sometime, but I would just prefer it be tomorrow rather than today. Loosing parents is a tough thing if you are close to them. Carry on the traditions with your children. Smoke sent.

He was a man of unblemished honor and integrity. He was a man of his word. He taught me to work hard, even harder when no one was looking, and to help others along the way.

These are qualities often missing in the world today.

August 1, 2015, 10:49 AM
Sorry for your loss but Praises to God for his time on this earth. He taught and modeled Christ which is what we are instructed to do. He fulfilled his calling in Christ. He is in glory with his King and Savior. You were blessed, very blessed.

August 2, 2015, 05:56 PM
Been there, done that. I lost mine 43 years ago, and miss him every single day. My sympathy for your loss.

August 2, 2015, 06:07 PM
A moving tribute to your dad. Well done.

Now, be his equal to your own children.
You owe him that much in his honor, and you owe them that as your duty.

August 2, 2015, 06:30 PM
I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for the beautiful tribute.

"We mourn, but not as those who have no hope."

August 2, 2015, 10:57 PM
Great example. Sorry for your loss. Loss my dad 16 years ago. A WWII vet. Glad he told you about God. What a blessing.
Now in West Ky with St Louis ties.

August 3, 2015, 11:14 AM
Thank you for the beautiful tribute.

Indeed. My condolences and thank you for taking the time to share with us through your grief.

August 3, 2015, 12:31 PM
Being a believer and having suffered loss as well, I know where you are.

Your father's life is something to celebrate and his passing is something to honestly be jealous of. His current residence is not in a cemetery. He is residing in a place so amazing that no living person can even fathom it. He is perfect now. He knows no pain, no sorrow, no loss, no sense of worry and no concept of time. He gets to spend eternity with the entity that created....EVERYTHING. As you read and as we write, he is walking in Glory with Christ. How absolutely, unimaginably, amazingly lucky he is. He has earned his reward. Now make sure you earn yours.

He sounds like a great man. And he left a great legacy. I pray the Lord comforts you and brings you peace in this difficult time. But listen to this.....

We have so much to look forward to.

August 3, 2015, 12:48 PM
I am sorry to hear about your father. He sounds like a very good man! Just remember; death is not final, because our Savior overcame it for us all.

Perhaps you and your family may find some comfort in the following:

11. Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection-Behold, it has been made known to me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body,yea,the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.

12. And it shall come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles, and from all care, and sorrow.

Alma 40:11-12 The Book of Mormon

Moderator; if this is in any way inappropriate, please remove.

August 3, 2015, 06:07 PM
Condolences for your loss, young feller. Dad's are important and sounds like he raised you right. He continues on in you and your kids.

If you enjoyed reading about "I've lost my hero, my friend, my father..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!