Adams Arms ARs

PDA

Lycidas Janwor
August 13, 2015, 01:16 PM
Anyone have an opinion on Adams Arms AR rifles? Are they any good and is their gas-piston system reliable? Buds Gun Shop is running a special on their base model for $629 and I might get one just to get one at that price.

If you enjoyed reading about "Adams Arms ARs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
plinker8
August 13, 2015, 02:05 PM
I have seen in my reading that their piston system is very reliable and is extremely clean and requires less maintenance per-say. I know of a few people converting their rifles with their piston system.

Jackal
August 13, 2015, 03:17 PM
I have an AR I converted to their piston setup. While there is little to no tangible benefit of the piston system, its just kinda neat. It weighs more and recoils more than a DI rifle. Bottom line: Dont buy one thinking that its "better" than a direct impingement rifle. Its just different.

carbine85
August 13, 2015, 07:09 PM
I don't have one but all the reviews I have read are favorable. As stated above I don't think there is any major benefit unless you hate cleaning

Lycidas Janwor
August 13, 2015, 11:18 PM
I'd buy one for one simple reason: the price.

DavesNotHere!
October 31, 2015, 11:25 AM
Anyone have an opinion on Adams Arms AR rifles? Are they any good and is their gas-piston system reliable? Buds Gun Shop is running a special on their base model for $629 and I might get one just to get one at that price.

I bought one, it's my first AR, first time handling a .223 since mid 70's at Lackland AFB. I have a VZ2008 bought cheap, and like the gas piston operation. When considering my first AR, it wasn't hard for me to look at piston over DI as I'm already familiar.

Saw the AA15 on Bud's and while a bit more than I wanted to spend, I found it compelling. It's going to get used and abused so the blem just meant more $ for ammo (actually dies and brass and bullets). Couldn't find a scratch. 1st time out got .7 and .6" groups at 100 yards with Fiocci Sierra 77gr HPBTs!!! Did not expect that.

I've worked up a load for Hornady 75gr and about to do the same for Nosler and Sierra 77gr HPBTs.

I went cheap on the scope, fore grip and grip are Magpul MOE (SL on the front) and got their trigger guard part as well as the straight steel irritated my finger.

The trigger is heavier than I'd like but better than I expected. Can't see spending big for better just yet. Didn't like the slop between upper and lower so shimmed with aluminum furnace tape the installer left behind, used some on the buffer tube to take up slack in the butt stock as well.

I'm not a bit disappointed in the Adam's Arms basic carbine @ $629. I don't think I'll wear it out, but keep thinking a 20" stainless upper would be really nice....

Enjoy your decision, I know I am!

dragon813gt
October 31, 2015, 11:33 AM
I have one of their complete uppers. I paid more for it then what they are now selling a complete rifle for. And I didn't buy anywhere close to the peak.

It's run flawlessly since the first round. It keeps everything a lot cleaner. I like the adjustable gas block. Makes it nice and easy to make a single shot for bench work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Adams Arms ARs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!