Replacing AK gas piston

PDA

orangeninja
April 24, 2004, 02:49 PM
How difficult is this to do? Has anyone here ever done it to a Saiga?

If you enjoyed reading about "Replacing AK gas piston" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TechBrute
April 24, 2004, 07:09 PM
That thing break already?

yankytrash
April 25, 2004, 08:52 AM
Did it to a Bulgy AK and a Romanian AK. Not too complicated, but the pin didn't give up easily.

I suggest getting a punch with the long skinny end on it. I'm sure machinists have a name for it. Make sure it's smaller than the pin hole - like 3/32 or so (?), so it don't get jambed in there (experience talking there...).

I messed up the first pin so bad the first time (the bulgy) that I had to replace it. Bought a roll pin to replace it with, and filled it with solder after it was installed to make it solid. The second one (romanian), I reused the pin, but paranoia made me put a dab of locktite on it before reinstallation.

You need a good stable bench vise.

Can't help with a piston source though. Siaga piston might be longer or shorter than the average Ak....

orangeninja
April 25, 2004, 11:36 AM
Cool...thanks...no Techbrute, I am replacing some of the imported parts with U.S. ones to make it complaint when I mod it to take full house AK mags.

TechBrute
April 25, 2004, 08:22 PM
Oh yeah, the magical, mysterious parts count.:banghead: Good luck with that.

pm2790
April 27, 2004, 06:15 PM
Only use the 'skinny' punch with parallel sides (pin punch) after you have first gotten the pin to budge using a regular tapered punch. If you start off with the pin punch, chances are you will bend the punch. Also, try tapping from both sides of the pin to see if there is one way that it will go easier. Put some 'Kroil' on it overnight before hammering on it.

yesterdaysyouth
April 27, 2004, 08:56 PM
and when that fails .....

where's my drill at????:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Replacing AK gas piston" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!