Long recoil action barrel, cut down.

PDA

USAF_Vet
August 21, 2015, 12:37 PM
The LGS has a used barrel for sale, labeled as a Remington 11-48, 12 gauge, 2 3/4, mod choke. I have a sportsman 48 (barrel fits, we checked) with a 26" (I think) vent rib poly choke barrel.

The used mod barrel has got some pitting near the front sight. But that's not an issue because I'd be cutting this barrel down to 18-20" for a HD set up, with a +3 mag extension.

How does the shorter, lighter barrel effect recoil on long recoil action shotguns? Obviously I'd want this to cycle reliably (which I'd prove on the range) but I won't bother buying it if cutting back the barrel with adversely affect cycle reliability.

If you enjoyed reading about "Long recoil action barrel, cut down." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
August 21, 2015, 01:10 PM
There's a lot of physics involved in barrel length on long recoil shotguns. Functional reliability might not be a problem with cut down/shorter barrels ... but battering of the receiver and other action components due to higher barrel velocities might well be an issue, over time.

Take a look at http://barrelexchange.com/ - Browning A-5 factory slug barrels seem to run 24". I'd talk to someone familiar with long recoil action dynamics before cutting too much off the barrel you have...

And of course, with a long recoil action, you can't use a clamp on the magazine extension. Give that some thought as well.

USAF_Vet
August 21, 2015, 01:41 PM
Yes, the Browning A-5 smooth bore slug barrels do seem to run 24". I figure there probably is a reason for that.

I've been using the mag extension for awhile now with no issues. +3 doesn't hang out too far, but a larger extension would, and would require the clamp. I took that in mind when I bought it.

From historical research, the Whippit gun of Bonnie and Clyde fame was a Remington model 11 with a chopped barrel and stock. That barrel looks a little shorter than where I want to go, and I'm obviously not cutting the stock. I'll have to measure the mag tube with.extension, as I want them to be about even.

I'm thinking my initial 18-20" estimate will be far shorter than the extended mag, so it'll probably be closer to 22-24", still short enough for HD, range fun. At that length, it's more on par to the cylinder bore barrels for the A-5/Rem11. I think Savage also has a clone.

I don't want to best the tar out of the receiver, though. It's not a desired gun by most, but it's mine and I like it. So if it's not worth it, I'll stick with my Mav 88 for HD.

rule303
August 21, 2015, 02:42 PM
11-48's will have cycling problems with barrels shorter than 24" unless you add weight to compensate for the removed material. Oddly, the Browning A5/Rem 11 which is almost identical mechanically will usually function just fine with even an 18" barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Long recoil action barrel, cut down." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!